Android Tablets Forum banner

R7T40WBLF0 - PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

27K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  dbarselow 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
*WARNING*

**Do NOT use this if you have SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP FW** <---This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.

**Do NOT use this if you have any other model than a R7T40WBLF0
** <---This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.

**I have been seeing some people having boot loops with this firmware - may be
more than one new firmware with this file name PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

**PLEASE**
READ THE WIKI AND LEARN HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR PDN BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS
**PLEASE**
BACKUP YOUR CURRENT FIRMWARE BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS TO REPAIR YOUR PDN

I have just bought from best buy two of these black Novels.

Model Number
R7T40WBLF0
Kernel Date
eric@ubutnu #1 thu Jan 5 15:52:10 2012
Flash Firmware
PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

these seem to be a White one in Black covering

I re-flashed one with multiple SH20 3-1-2011 flashes and it worked flawlessly.
So I pulled the system from the other one with the newer firmware.

Any one that would be willing to work on this new kernel let me know how to post it here for you to work with.

I stuffed the files in a new flash zip that worked somewhat.

I have reached my wall as what to do next to make a true oem style flash.

I take no responsibility if you brick your Novel, Its On You!!

UPDATE: New Flash Zip 11/12/2012

http://www.mediafire.com/?psbqp6swh24ybhq

See less See more
#5 ·
It's different. On the surface it gave me an all white boot splash screen and swapped mountings of the sdcards.
Comparing dmesg, these are the other differences.
Code:
<br />
<7>[    0.000000] free_area_init_node: node 0, pgdat c03f20c4, node_mem_map c04b8000<br />
<7>[    0.000000] free_area_init_node: node 0, pgdat c05d30f4, node_mem_map c0699000<br />
<br />
<5>[    0.211294] Memory: 201728KB available (3692K code, 949K data, 148K init)<br />
<5>[    0.212707] Memory: 199808KB available (3732K code, 2825K data, 152K init)<br />
<br />
<6>[    0.713762] msgmni has been set to 394<br />
<6>[    0.655639] msgmni has been set to 391<br />
<br />
<6>[    2.107464] OneNAND: generic_onenand_probe - (Virt) Base Address: 0xD0C00000<br />
<6>[    2.013531] OneNAND: generic_onenand_probe - (Virt) Base Address: 0xD1200000<br />
ls /dev is the same...

#7 ·
Perhaps, it did seem a bit more responsive. I didn't make any real world benchmarks though. What I did notice was that the LCD backlight seemed brighter and more crisp. I didn't use the whole ROM- just the kernel, and I used it on the CM6.2 firmware. Because it's a SH10 firmware, I figured that was why the sdcard mountings were swapped. It's easy enough to go into vold.fstab and change that but I didn't bother. In fact I had already previously swapped them for myself (I like being able to run everything off the internal so I can remove the external for my digital camera). If anyone is curious on how to do that, this is what my vold.fstab looks like:
Code:
<br />
dev_mount sdcard /sdcard auto /block/mmcblk1 /class/mmc_host/mmc1<br />
dev_mount sdcard1 /PD_Novel auto /block/mmcblk0 /class/mmc_host/mmc0<br />
The wifi modules were the same. Off the record, but I compiled quite a few drivers for our wifi, and the only driver that gives the rtnet3070.ko and rtutil3070.ko modules are for a combination wifi and bluetooth card. This leads me to believe that if we replaced the internal mini wifi card with a combination card such as that is found in the Toshiba AC-100, that we could have bluetooth capabilities on our pandigital (if anyone wants to try it). That wouldn't work on my Intercept CM6.2 ROM because I took out the bluetooth stuff though.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
JLO I found that the second animated logo is in the framework-res.apk but I haven't figured out how to change it but if you put a bootanimation.zip in /data/local it will replace the pandigital one from framework it, didn't try it in /system/media but that may work also.

as for the sdcard change will it work without problems for this kernel sure would like all in the internal sd card?
I don't have a vold.fstab should I add it were to put it or should I change init.rc lines and swap
export EXTERNAL_STORAGE /sdcard
export EXTERNAL_STORAGE1 /PD_Novel

thanks for looking at it, have market working with it just the same setup problems date change needed.

#9 ·
Here is the zip should be rooted and default apps(I hope) used 3-2-2011 sh20 ,userdata, cache, logo, bootloader, ramdisk,
put kernel, system, clockworks recovery from new system.
it flashed fine for me but use AT YOUR OWN RISK

http://www.mediafire.com/?2vxnxw7krmhk212

Hope some good comes from it with all the great people here!!
I was on SH20 original FW and flashed this, twice. This won't go beyond the blue PD screen and starts looping the initial blue screen. CW recovery was installed by this rom. Revrted to JLOs firmware.

JLO,
Could you please share your mod with this Kernel to test? TIA.

#10 ·
I found that sometimes putting in CWM recovery messes up the logo - that might be why you see the white screen. I made a CWM recovery flash that includes logo, so they both go in at the same time, and that fixed my white screen. You might try that, just take any logo out of any firmware, I don't think any of them are different.

As for snatching the kernel out of your unflashed unit (you should have got the recovery out of it too before you put CWM in) what I did is use dd or you can also use cat and pipe the output to a file. You have to find a rw part of the filesystem that will hold the kernel, which is usually a little over 2mb. But the flash partition it lives on is 8mb. So when you do the dump, you get 8mb.

I found some of the kernel backup tools that others said would back up your kernel did not work on the novel, so I had to do it manually.

First do a cat /proc/mtd to see what lives in which flash block. The kernel lives in mtd1.

The syntax is:

dd if=/dev/block/mtdblock1 of=/data/misc/mykernel
then adb pull /data/misc/mykernel and use a hex editor to look at it (I use HxD)
then rm /data/misc/mykernel (optional)

or
cat /dev/block/mtdblock1 > /data/misc/mykernel
then adb pull /data/misc/mykernel and use a hex editor to look at it (I use HxD)
then rm /data/misc/mykernel (optional)

Then you have to use a hex editor and try to figure out where the end of the kernel is, and delete all the junk after that, and you end up with just the kernel. Start looking around 2mb down with the hex editor and suddenly the data will change to a few 00's, then the rest will be FF's all the way to 8mb. This is the tricky part - deciding where the kernal actually ends. It's probably harmless to have a few extra bytes on it, but fatal to cut it too short and cut off some of the real code. I ended up with 12 bytes of 00's only because other kernels from older firmware versions always seemed to have that. Then I cut off the rest, saved the file, and it works!

I'm not sure what would happen if you just left the junk in there - in other words put the full 8k in your flash image and not worry about finding the end. It probably would still work because after all it's an image out of the device. But would waste time flashing so best to trim it to the actual size.

Some of the other flash partitions are harder to deal with, because they are gzip files with a fuse header on them, or they are yaffs2 images.

Recovery.img, and ramdisk.img are gzip files with fuse headers stuck on them. Others, like system.img, userdata.img, , cache.img and bootloader.img are yaffs2 images. I guess fuse figures this all out when flashing a unit.

What I did was remove the fuse header with a hex editor (you can spot the start of the gzip file by the bytes 1F 8B on the hex editor), then try to find the end of the file, which are some checksum bytes, and kept saving that and opening the result with 7-zip until it had a valid gzip file with valid start and end lengths. If the size is bogus then you don't have the end just right - try again. Once I knew where the gzip file really ended, then I want back to the original image with the fuse header in it, and took the crap off the end from where I found the file really ended, and saved that as an image, say ramdisk.img - with the fuse header present. Those will then flash properly with fuse. I also looked at other firmware versions with the hex editor to help me spot what the "end" looks like.

Hope that makes sense... some are just binary (like the kernel), some are gzips with fuse headers on them, and some are yaffs2 images.. I guess fuse figures out what is what when it flashes.

This is sort of complicated but it's how you reconstruct the complete firmware when all you have is a flashed device and Pandigital won't release the firware that is in your device. Makes no sense to me why they won't release it, as all it is going to do is cause them to get lots of returns for messed up devices that could be reset easily without causing a return.

#13 ·
I have the pandigital novel black Model Number R7T40WBLF0. Tried to flash it got loops also. After trying to reset it, by pressing the power and up vol buttons, I now have the CWM_based Recovery v5.5.0.4 screen from slatedroid. I am very new to this environment, but with your help, I am sure I can get this working. There are 7 choices on this screen. I would truly appreciate it if I could get some assistance as to how to get things going. I have downloaded Android sdk manager (never used it before) and eclipse (likewise). I would definitely require step by step assistance. Thanks

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had the same thing happen when I first re-flashed from sh20 - try flashing it a second time.

if that doesn't work use the "wipe cache partition" and wipe data/factory reset" then re flash it again.

if that doesn't work pull the sd card out from inside and try rebooting once sometimes helps.

if that doesn't work pull the sd cards out and reformat them (search the wiki for this) then put them back in and reboot.

if you can't get to the CWM_based Recovery

pull battery lead then wait 30 seconds put it back then hold up vol then power for 10 seconds.

or I also got there by holding up vol, power and then pushed reset switch with paperclip.

#18 ·
So I read the tutorial...followed all the steps and still.....stuck in a restart loop. I flashed, reflashed, formatted, reformated....copied the sd from my other new unit. After I install the update, it says sucessfull after it flashes...I reboot and still just a restart loop.

#19 ·
Well without knowing what firmware version was on your novel before you flashed it's hard to say what to revert you to that firmware.

Really needed tor read the wiki first to make sure that you have the right type of novel even though you have this same model if it used the SL20 firmware you shouldn't have flashed this firmware, but lets try something, first how are you formatting the internal MicroSD card?

If you are just formatting from pluging in the novel by usb not gonna work you have to erase the 2 partitions on the internal MicroSD both the fat and the Linux style partition have to be wiped.

I never flash or change firmware with external sdcard installed, always make sure everything is working before putting the external card in and I make sure that it has been formatted and clean when ever I change firmwares.

Take the internal MicroSD card out and use windows xp or higher system then follow this to format the card.

An alternative if you don't have a digital camera for restoring the full size of the MicroSD card is the Windows diskpart utility:

1) Open command line and run diskpart
2) Type 'list disk' (Note the disk number that is the same size as your MicroSD)
3) Type 'select disk #' (replace # with number from above)
4) Type 'list partition'
5) You should see two partitions
6) Type 'select partition 1'
7) Type 'delete partition' (repeat 6 and 7 to delete the second partition)

Once both partitions are deleted, you probably need to create a new normal FAT partition. While still in diskpart, type 'create partition primary' and it will create a primary partition using the whole available space. You can format as you normally would or do it from diskpart by typing 'FORMAT FS=FAT QUICK'.

Then put the internal MicroSD card back in the novel and boot it and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't work you can try {AT YOUR OWN RISK} downloading a sh20 2011 firmware flash then before you start it the first time with the new firmware reformat the internal MicroSD card like above then put it back in and restart.

{I have found that one of mine will not boot without the internal MicroSD card installed it boot loops, the other one will boot up without it it's strange but goes to show no two are alike.}

#20 ·
F/W is PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. I formatted the internal SD by pulling it out and puting it into my laptop. I did notice that the 4g sd only showed me that it was a 2 g on my screen so the other partion must be hidden/locked. I will try to wipe it tonight. Thanks for the info!

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
I also had this PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP firmware on my WPDN, but before I discovered this forum which warns against it, I performed the PanDigital Android Open Platform Kit! It's not been a disaster, and it still works, but I have no SamSlide market any more. Mind you, I was hoping to able to install the Google Play one instead, but had no success. The firmware now reported is: S20_09_30_B_PD_INX7E_ENG6410POP.

I am wondering if I should risk re-flashing with the SH20 3-1-2011 firmware.

PS - How do I tell which version of Android I have?

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was able to connect my PDB to my pc and using the software on the pandigital site, was able to get the PD to respond and stay connect to the pc long enough to install the PDC1-2012214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP file onto the internal sdcard. When I pressed both volume buttons and the power button I finally got into the CWM-Based Recovery prompt. I hit "wipe cache partition" and wipe data/factory reset" I tried to reflash but it started to blink. I am still on the CWM screen. I have a choice of "install zip from sdcard" But not sure and don't want to make anything worse. Is this the correct choice? Where do I go from here??? Thanks in advanced for your assistance.

#24 ·
1) install zip from sdcard
2) choose zip from sdcard
3) find your zip file and select it
4) yes to flash zip
5) should reboot if not reboot it from the menu
should be fixed
if not pull the internal sdcard and boot to see if it starts ok
if not you will need to pull the internal card out and format it like below

I never flash or change firmware with external sdcard installed, always make sure everything is working before putting the external card in and I make sure that it has been formatted and clean when ever I change firmwares.

Take the internal MicroSD card out and use windows xp or higher system then follow this to format the card.

An alternative if you don't have a digital camera for restoring the full size of the MicroSD card is the Windows diskpart utility:

1) Open command line and run diskpart ( goto run type cmd <enter> then at command line type diskpart <enter> to start)
2) Type 'list disk' (Note the disk number that is the same size as your MicroSD)
3) Type 'select disk #' (replace # with number from above)
4) Type 'list partition'
5) You should see two partitions
6) Type 'select partition 1'
7) Type 'delete partition' (repeat 6 and 7 to delete the second partition)

Once both partitions are deleted, you probably need to create a new normal FAT partition. While still in diskpart, type 'create partition primary' and it will create a primary partition using the whole available space. You can format as you normally would or do it from diskpart by typing 'FORMAT FS=FAT QUICK'.

then put sdcard back in and boot this should fix the boot loop.

#25 ·
Thanks Zeppelinman_2000, please bear with me, as I am very new to working with tablets but can maneuver around to get to a solution if given the fix. Before moving on to the next set, I wanted to add that I did choose to unzip the file, which I loaded on the internal sd card; no external was installed. It unzipped the file and loaded the software and gave me this error "E:Error in cache/recovery log. Bad file error." It rebooted and continued in the loop. So, is it safe to assume that I need to partition the internal sd Card? Or is the file corrupted. Also, do you have a flash that you would suggest for my PDNB. This is the 2012 2.1 version.

I have a digital camera but it is a point n shoot and not an slr. When I put the sd card into the adapter and put it in the camera, it does not try to reformat the card and there are no prompts to do so. The camera only displays the number of photos that can be generated.

In this procedure, I just want to make sure that you are telling me to reformat the internal sd card. I am assuming all of the data with be lost. If this is the case, do I copy the data on the card to back it up and replace it after the reformat? Once again, totally new territory.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
is this a NOVEL 7" not a 9" model?

Are you sure this is a WPDN look in the wiki and Identify that you are trying to flash the right type of Novel.
if it only has one speaker in the back this is NOT the right firmware for it!
if it has two speakers in the bottom end then it may be correct type.

Are you sure it was the same flash file started with PDC1_ or SH20_ and not SL20_ if it was the second you should flash that file from this board.

When you put the firmware on the internal card you just copy that file to the card DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE clockwork will do it for you when you select it as in above posts.

You will have to format the INTERNAL CARD to get rid of the previous install as sometimes it will not clear it correctly, follow above from any windows pc with the card in any adapter that is needed.

The tablet will automatically setup the internal card when it boots the first time.

Have you tried to boot it without the internal card? if so will it still loop or boot?

if it will boot, and you get the card formatted it will probably cure it, if it still loops try flashing the firmware in this thread.
flash it twice and then format the INTERNAL card then boot it and see if that gets you back up and running.
this a more user friendly firmware.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/15444-alternate-wpdn-firmware-op-based-opdn-current-version-211/

PLEASE PLEASE READ THE WIKI it makes most of this easy to do, all of this info is in the WIKI. The WIKI is our FRIEND !!!

http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/325-pandigital-novel-wiki/

#27 ·
I have the black PDN 7/2speakers on the bottom. Used PDC1. Original firmware was dated 2012. Want to turn the book into an android. Want market and kindle ebooks. Once again, thanks so much for your time. I will not be able to try any of this until Monday. Will let you know how it goes.

#28 ·
Wanted to let you know that the new flash WORKED!!! Thank you sooooo much. I want to make this an android tablet. I tried the download from pandigital site but it states that there are no suitable upgrades available for the Novel. Do you have any suggestions on how this can be done. I went to WIKI and saw the following concerning the 2012 OP Firmware: It has been verified that KG's Gapps modular flash does work, and will add the Android Market to these versions. One flash has been created to restore the framework back to the original version, which is suggested after you have successfully activated Market. Do you think the Gapps is ok to use and please explain the portion concerning "one flash". I do not understand "restoring framework ..." If this is necessary, how is it done or should it be done since I no longer have the original software (but I did make a copy of what was on the internal card, while in the loop, before I reformatted it.)

#29 ·
[quote name='godlywil' timestamp='1352831145' post='453563']
Wanted to let you know that the new flash WORKED!!! Thank you sooooo much. I want to make this an android tablet. I tried the download from pandigital site but it states that there are no suitable upgrades available for the Novel. Do you have any suggestions on how this can be done. I went to WIKI and saw the following concerning the 2012 OP Firmware: It has been verified that KG's Gapps modular flash does work, and will add the Android Market to these versions. One flash has been created to restore the framework back to the original version, which is suggested after you have successfully activated Market. Do you think the Gapps is ok to use and please explain the portion concerning "one flash". I do not understand "restoring framework ..." If this is necessary, how is it done or should it be done since I no longer have the original software (but I did make a copy of what was on the internal card, while in the loop, before I reformatted it.)

Pandigital R7T40WBLF0 Novel 7" 4GB Droid 2.0
PC1_20120214_B_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

Kernel version
eric@ubuntu#1 Thu Jan 5 15:52:10 CST 2012

Build Number
PD_Novel 2012.02.14

Device ID

#30 ·
I tried all the addons from the sh20_ flash I did the market apps only addon works great. just make sure to backup you system from cwm before adding each one so you can go back to a good working point if something goes wrong. I never did return to the original framework has been working fine for me, like stated before read the posts in any thread you think you will use to modify your tablet before you do it and you will have a good understanding what it does and how to fix it if it doesn't.

#34 ·
I have the same model and firmware as this thread. I am new and I am sure it shows. I looked up what root means and now I need to know how to root this device. Basicly I want to run U-Tube videos and there must be an app for this somewhere. From what I have read I need to "root" first administrater rights. Is this correct? Help please.

#35 ·
View PostZeppelinman_2000, on 12 September 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:
*WARNING*

**Do NOT use this if you have SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP FW** <---This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.

**Do NOT use this if you have any other model than a R7T40WBLF0

**I have been seeing some people having boot loops with this firmware - may be
more than one new firmware with this file name PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

**PLEASE**
READ THE WIKI AND LEARN HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR PDN BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS
**PLEASE**
BACKUP YOUR CURRENT FIRMWARE BEFORE YOU FLASH THIS TO REPAIR YOUR PDN

I have just bought from best buy two of these black Novels.

Model Number
R7T40WBLF0
Kernel Date
Flash Firmware

Any one that would be willing to work on this new kernel let me know how to post it here for you to work with.

http://www.mediafire...psbqp6swh24ybhq

So this UPDATED New Flash Zip that starts with ZPDC1_20120214 , I take it this one won't work on Original WPDN's either?

#37 ·
View PostZeppelinman_2000, on 12 September 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:
Model Number
R7T40WBLF0
Kernel Date
Flash Firmware

http://www.mediafire...psbqp6swh24ybhq

So this UPDATED New Flash Zip that starts with ZPDC1_20120214 , I take it this one won't work on Original WPDN's either?
This is for the older model and have had lots of luck using it it is the same as the older 2011 versions, it has a later kernel but unknown what was changed in it. so if you do use it make sure you have a backup to restore your original before trying this. its just a stock build with root and thats it. I found if your looking for a upgrade to the stock firmware I would use the one here --

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/15444-alternate-wpdn-firmware-op-based-opdn-current-version-211/

its stable works great and you don't need to do anything special to make it work.

#39 ·
Best thing I can say is it has some config problem first I would make sure to reset to factory.
Then format dalvic cache, userdata and cache from cwm then flash firmware twice back to back.
Then make sure you follow the steps in the firmware thread in the correct order and make shure to
Get market working before adding any apps. If you still have the same problem try flashing the revert
DVM w/o jit and do a restore to factory settings before you run market and see if that helps.
If you still have problems pull the internal microsd and follow the instructions that can be found on
Here by searching to remove all partitions then format it as one fat partition put flash on that and reflash
That is how I have had to do it to get rid of the problem oh and do a full format not a quick format as it does
Not remove the old file system correctly and linux may find it again and end up with corrupted files again.

Good luck and use search and read the wiki's

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk 2

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
New Pandigital Owners

99.9% of All the questions here are in the wiki's or found easly by using search and READING!
If your not willing to take the time to read the info here then your willing to use your tablet as a paperweight.

Many people have taken many hundreds of hours to figure out these steps and info, Please take a few hours of Your time
To READ about how to set up your pc and tablet for adb and flashing before you jump into doing it.
Then you will have a great working tablet and not a chew toy for the doggy.

We are always willing to help but if it has been explained in 20 posts allready you may not get any help.
Please take the time to read and expand your mind and you can help others here too.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
lmao

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.