• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 Gnox

Gnox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

I got mine into flash mode by first pressing vol- and keeping it pressed while hitting the reset button. The unit immediately went into flash mode and windows beeped and detected the driver.

Sent from my M1 using Tapatalk 2
Pipo M1 Max - JB 4.1.1

#22 Craig1023

Craig1023

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Hi, being New to all this, what exactly would this firmware do to my tablet?

Many Thanks.

#23 eddyah

eddyah

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

I got mine into flash mode by first pressing vol- and keeping it pressed while hitting the reset button. The unit immediately went into flash mode and windows beeped and detected the driver.

Thanks to everybody for their help!

I failed to realise flash mode = blank screen for me. Hence why it would never detect the bloody thing!

New rom is excellend Roman! The thing is just so smooth now!

#24 DJ Baro

DJ Baro

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

I'm doing exactly the same and nothing helps. What does the flash mode look like? Any simbol on screen or anything? For example on Samsung Galaxy S the worker with shuffle appears when in download mode.

#25 Gnox

Gnox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm doing exactly the same and nothing helps. What does the flash mode look like? Any simbol on screen or anything? For example on Samsung Galaxy S the worker with shuffle appears when in download mode.

The screen is off during flash mode - you won't see anything.
Since there is no power led on the pipo - it's even difficult to tell that it's powered on during flash mode!
Pipo M1 Max - JB 4.1.1

#26 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I don't know if i'm stupid or something, but combination vol - and reset with usb cable in doesn't work for me. When I plug usb in Pipo it offers mi to Turn On usb Storage. I then press vol - and reset and unit reboots, and starts in same mode - with option to turn usb storage on. I don't even see the device in device manager as unknown device. Thank you for your help!

Keep holding down "Vol -" Don't release it after you hit the reset button.
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#27 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

I tried to get two Win 7 Pc's (32 & 64bit) to recognise this tablet.

Eventually I worked out I need USB debugging turned on and then to hold down the volume minus key for about 5 seconds after releasing the reset button.

That's odd. I need to test that out as it shouldn't make a difference. USB Debugging is an OS level thing (I think) where-as the "flash mode" is more on the hardware/firmware/bios(if you will) level and should be unaffected.

Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#28 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

that the differences between the original and this firmware?

Enviado desde mi ZTE-BLADE usando Tapatalk 2

Updated the OP with Change Notes.

-Ayn Rand

#29 DJ Baro

DJ Baro

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Really wierd. I managed to put it in flash mode in 1 second on another (my home notebook) computer. And also I flashed it with no problems. Now it works like a charm! Pipo Max M1 is now blazing fast and much more responsive than my coworkers Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. And for a 1/2 price! :)

#30 tabnabs

tabnabs

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi all. flashed the firmware and it flies.
Managed to root but having issues with titanium backup.
It won't always load and when it does it won't write to the external SD card.
Any ideas?

#31 Gnox

Gnox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Same for me TB is toast, but it doesn't work in the original Fw when rooted either.

Pipo M1 Max - JB 4.1.1

#32 dangerousp

dangerousp

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

Flashing went very fast and totally without problems!
Device is really quick and works like a charms. No light bleed as it seems and everything works properly!
The speaker is really terrible though:(

#33 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

Same for me TB is toast, but it doesn't work in the original Fw when rooted either.

Might just be a jb issue. :-(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

-Ayn Rand

#34 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Flashing went very fast and totally without problems!
Device is really quick and works like a charms. No light bleed as it seems and everything works properly!
The speaker is really terrible though:(

Yes, speaker is rather small but my bigger gripe is the speaker placement.

-Ayn Rand

#35 DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Finally got my Pipo M1 today and wanted to say thanks to Roman for his generous firmware release and all the time spent creating and documenting it. :drinks: The review was also a great help when I first started looking at this model too.

The only slight problem I've had with the M1 is with the microSD card, but I think that was because I didn't unmount it before ejecting it. After re-formatting it seems OK again. Wifi is good (matches my HTC Evo 3D), BT, host USB etc are all good. Speaker sucks, but I was expecting that. Next stop will be rooting.

#36 Gnox

Gnox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

After 2 weeks of playing with the M1 - here are my impressions:

I previously owned an Aoson M11 (RK3066 chip too) and an Ampe A90 (Allwinner A10)
Compared to the A90 - the rockchips are outstanding - way quicker, no browser lags/non responding.

I'm more concerned with the differences between the Aoson and the Pipo.
1 - Firmware: the Pipo firmware support is WAY better - Aoson had no firmware updates on their site and we were reliant on getting stuff from the re-sellers, with some very confusing results! 3rd party firmwares like Roman's are also available so thir is lots of choice.
I'm running Roman's FW and it's very slick - a lot of the chinese apps are gone and the launcher is the stock (faster) JB one.
2- Wifi: Wifi seems a bit stonger on the Pipo - I'm getting 1 bar better signal as standard over the Aoson (running ICS) - but the Aoson performed quite well on wifi anyway, so I don't think there's any huge advantage here. Both are very responsive.
3 - Screen. Can't see any difference between the 2 units. IPS screen is great - brightness is good and no noticable bleeding. Viewing angle is great too.
4 - Styling. I have to say the Aoson is a much nicer unit. The Pipo has a black plactic 'ring' around the edges that is just a little uncomfortable to hold. The Aoson looks better with it's metal surround as well. The buttons on the Aoson are nicly recessed and flush with the edges, the Pipo ones protrude out and have a loose feel to them.
5 - Battery. I'm not seeing great life - a 180min movie drains the battery ~40% I'm hoping extended use and charge/dischare will increase this. The Aoson was no better either.
6 - Reliability. My Aoson arrived with the unit making a low humming noise (much like speaker static). No annoying enough to send it back, but after trying to read an ebook in bed - the wife soon got annoyed! After 1 month the Wifi stopped working. My suspicion is that it was the wifi chip that was making the noise - and it has now overheated. It's now only good for wathing movies :(
So far the Pipo is rock solid reliability wise, except for one stange glitch - if I travel with it in the car for any great distance - it is blank when I use it afterwards, and I have to hit the reset switch to turn it back on.
Must be a problem with vibration or something.
7 - Buying experience. I purchased both units from Aliexpress. The Aoson from Elijah - who are now refusing to take it back. Do not buy from these guys - once you have submitted feedback, they will do nothing for you. In furture I would lean towards a trusted reseller like Roman's Top Notch Tablets (UK site in my case). It may be a little more expensive, but when things go wrong - you'll get very little satisfaction from China!
8 - Conclusion. Performance wise, the RK3066 chips really are amazing for the price. The IPS screen is great, the price is great and JB is great! I would love GPS, but you can't have everything for a 200$ tab! If I could combine the Aoson case with the Pipo internals - I'd have the perfect tab, but I'd punt for the PIPO over the AOSON every time.
Pipo M1 Max - JB 4.1.1

#37 dangerousp

dangerousp

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for the review Gnox! Good to read the Pipo is the right choise.. difficult to choose when you can't compare side by side and spec wise the differences are so small.

#38 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

Very nice. I haven't actually used the Aoson device so it is great to get a review from someone that has. I had heard the Aoson build quality was is very good.

Yeah, don't bother with Elijah, those bastards have cost me $1000's at this point (excuse my french). I had the exact same issue with them. I left negative feedback and now they refuse to answer mail or IM. I have even thought about starting an online petition to get their precious "gold" rating blasted to hell so they are charged more by AliExpress for doing business. I work with smaller suppliers that have been far more honest that deserve that kind of rating but can't get it due to lower volume of sells. It isn't right that a shite company like Elijah has a trusted gold seller rating. It is a load of bull. Excuse my rant :-( .

So, anyhow, it sounds like the aoson build is good. How does the device thickness and weight compare between the two?

Also, I have noticed the Pipo battery meter tends to be a bit off. Do a full test from start to shutdown and you should have decent results I think.

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#39 Carnivore

Carnivore

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just updated to your firmware on my Max M1. All smooth.

#40 Gnox

Gnox

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Very nice. I haven't actually used the Aoson device so it is great to get a review from someone that has. I had heard the Aoson build quality was is very good.

Yeah, don't bother with Elijah, those bastards have cost me $1000's at this point (excuse my french). I had the exact same issue with them. I left negative feedback and now they refuse to answer mail or IM. I have even thought about starting an online petition to get their precious "gold" rating blasted to hell so they are charged more by AliExpress for doing business. I work with smaller suppliers that have been far more honest that deserve that kind of rating but can't get it due to lower volume of sells. It isn't right that a shite company like Elijah has a trusted gold seller rating. It is a load of bull. Excuse my rant :-( .

So, anyhow, it sounds like the aoson build is good. How does the device thickness and weight compare between the two?

Also, I have noticed the Pipo battery meter tends to be a bit off. Do a full test from start to shutdown and you should have decent results I think.

Regards,

Roman

Without getting hold of a calipers and scales , I can't see any difference in thickness between them, and no noticable weight difference either.

The Aoson just sits a little bit more comfortable in the hands in use.
I agree totally about Elijah - I had already given feedback so they didn't give a crap. I was told - 'hello friend - unit was good when we sent it'. When I demanded my 1 year warranty, they stopped replying. disgrace.
Anyway - I opened the unit afterwards (and broke a component on the wifi motherboard!) so it's beyond warranty now :(
There are pics on this thread if you want to see build quality etc. :
[url="http://www.slatedroi...aker-always-on/[/url
I'm refusing to open the M1 as I'll probably break something on that too!

Edited by Gnox, 14 September 2012 - 10:03 AM.

Pipo M1 Max - JB 4.1.1