46 replies to this topic

#21 pypardo

pypardo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

Well I found "build.prop Editor" worked fine - available free on the Playstore

On the Fire tab installed "Bluetooth GPS" and tested on two older Samsung android phones (GT5670 and i5500) a program called "GPS over BT" both free and available on Playstore.

Working fine just need the build prop edit as per OP and enable mock GPS provider.

Hi,
Google Play don't let me install "GPS over BT" on my Fire.
Which firmware are you using ?

regards
pierre

#22 aka motor

aka motor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hi,
Google Play don't let me install "GPS over BT" on my Fire.
Which firmware are you using ?

regards
pierre

No that is for the android phone - "Bluetooth GPS" by Googoo Android is what I installed on the Fire tab

Cheers

#23 pypardo

pypardo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

No that is for the android phone - "Bluetooth GPS" by Googoo Android is what I installed on the Fire tab

Cheers

Hi,
Same problem (incompatibility !)
Do you impersonate your fire ?

I'll try to download application on my phone and then move this to fire....

Regards
pierre

Edited by pypardo, 09 October 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#24 aka motor

aka motor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

Hi,
Same problem (incompatibility !)
Do you impersonate your fire ?

I'll try to download application on my phone and then move this to fire....

Regards
pierre

Mine is running the Flambe ROM 15e so impersonates a Nexus 7

#25 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

I tested mine using a Rikaline bluetooth GPS and a small program called GPSinfo to turn it on. It was easy to pair and GPSinfo found it straight away.

Posted Image

But ..... I left the BT on when it went into standby and I couldn't wake it up, had to reboot. I remember reading they fixed some issues like this with the wifi, maybe something similar happens to the BT

Edited by Billcnz, 09 October 2012 - 03:53 AM.

#26 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I tested mine using a Rikaline bluetooth GPS and a small program called GPSinfo to turn it on. It was easy to pair and GPSinfo found it straight away.

Posted Image

But ..... I left the BT on when it went into standby and I couldn't wake it up, had to reboot. I remember reading they fixed some issues like this with the wifi, maybe something similar happens to the BT

did you have to edit your prop.build file or adjust any other settings ? (I'm running V15e)

When I try to connect to my bluetooth gps, I get a "gps device recognized." Then a few seconds later is says "gps device disconnected." Sometimes I get a "connection refused.... gps device disconnected."

#27 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

I haven't edited my build.prop, using default from feiyu 0930. Gps_enabled=false but it can still connect to external bt gps.

Sent from my Novo7Flame running Feiyu 0930

#28 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I haven't edited my build.prop, using default from feiyu 0930. Gps_enabled=false but it can still connect to external bt gps.

Should gps_enabled = true ? I have mine already set as "True." Do you have to wait a long time for the GPS data to arrive ? When you connect to your gps unit, is it always "connected." Mine connects for about 2 seconds, then I get a message saying "GPS disconnected."

I thought maybe there's a problem with the GPS unit, but when I use it with my HP tablet, it does connect. But the connection does not seem to stay on all the time. It seems to only connect when it's transmitting data to my HP tablet. I can see the longitude and lattitued information, so I know the GPS unit works.

The details for my GPS unit is as follows:

GPS_Unit

Edited by fire2012, 09 October 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#29 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Okay I did some more testing and it seems you do need to enable the gps in the build.prop for the data to be available to the map program so I edited it to gps.enable=true and restarted the device. My Rikaline gps shows up in my paired devices quite quickly after turning on bluetooth and then I can connect with it using a gps program. I tested GPSinfo and Bluetooth GPS apps from the market and both work. I then started a map program Osmand+ and went for a drive in the car and it's tracking ok.

#30 Nyctophobia

Nyctophobia

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

Could you please suggest me a gps-bluetooth receiver/logger?
I want to be able to connect external antenna to it, it should be possible to connect it to cars power net, and it should have good chipset (MTKII).
Thanks.

#31 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Okay I did some more testing and it seems you do need to enable the gps in the build.prop for the data to be available to the map program so I edited it to gps.enable=true and restarted the device. My Rikaline gps shows up in my paired devices quite quickly after turning on bluetooth and then I can connect with it using a gps program. I tested GPSinfo and Bluetooth GPS apps from the market and both work. I then started a map program Osmand+ and went for a drive in the car and it's tracking ok.

When you connect your bluetooth gps to the tablet, does the bluetooth icon in the system tray of the tablet become blue ? Mine does not light up when I turn on my bluetooth gps (eventhough it says that the device is paired.)

#32 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

When you connect your bluetooth gps to the tablet, does the bluetooth icon in the system tray of the tablet become blue ? Mine does not light up when I turn on my bluetooth gps (eventhough it says that the device is paired.)

The bluetooth icon just stays grey but you will get another icon from the application you used to connect to your bluetooth gps. There seems to be many gps apps but try one called "Bluetooth GPS Provider" as its one I've tested.

So there's really 3 steps, turn on BT and turn on the BT gps and see that it shows up in the paired devices.

Start Bluetooth GPS Provider and press the start button to connect to the gps and wait for it to acquire satellite data.

Start your map or navigation program.

#33 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

The bluetooth icon just stays grey but you will get another icon from the application you used to connect to your bluetooth gps. There seems to be many gps apps but try one called "Bluetooth GPS Provider" as its one I've tested.

So there's really 3 steps, turn on BT and turn on the BT gps and see that it shows up in the paired devices.

Start Bluetooth GPS Provider and press the start button to connect to the gps and wait for it to acquire satellite data.

Start your map or navigation program.

I'll give that a try. Which ROM are you using ?

For settings/locations/ do you have the option turned on to determine your location based on wifi ? I know if I turn that on, it looks like my GPS is working, but its only locating me based on wifi (not my GPS.)

#34 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'll give that a try. Which ROM are you using ?

For settings/locations/ do you have the option turned on to determine your location based on wifi ? I know if I turn that on, it looks like my GPS is working, but its only locating me based on wifi (not my GPS.)

I'm using feiyu 0930 ROM. I do have Google location service enabled as well but I know the GPS is working as I tested it in the car away from my wireless and in the GPS app I can see the satellite signals and position data.

#35 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

I'm using feiyu 0930 ROM. I do have Google location service enabled as well but I know the GPS is working as I tested it in the car away from my wireless and in the GPS app I can see the satellite signals and position data.

I don't know what's wrong. Maybe my bluetooth gps unit is defective. I think I'll wipe my tablet and install flambe V15e again and see if I have any luck.

thanks for your information.

#36 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

I recommend trying Feiyu ROM as I know the bt gps works on this one. I did try an earlier Flambe but haven't tested the latest version but may try it at some stage.

Edited by Billcnz, 11 October 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#37 Billcnz

Billcnz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

I've just reflashed to flambe v15 so I could test that too. I can confirm that my Bluetooth GPS works well on this ROM as well. I'm now trying the CoPilot GPS app, it looks impressive.

Sent from my Ainovo Flame (Nexus 7) using Tapatalk 2

#38 Steve8x8

Steve8x8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

@fire2012: You may try and download GPS Status and Toolbox, and run your tests again. Do you have Bluetooth GPS Provider installed? It should show you the NMEA sentences coming from the receiver...

#39 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

@fire2012: You may try and download GPS Status and Toolbox, and run your tests again. Do you have Bluetooth GPS Provider installed? It should show you the NMEA sentences coming from the receiver...

I don't see any real activity on my tablet with respect to the GPS. I've tried numerous apps. Most recognize my GPS, but none of them seem to get any data from it. (I do get messages like "gps recognized" then a couple seconds later, "gps disconnected.") I tried the GPS unit on my laptop and I do seem to be able to have a constant "On" connection (but I have no gps app for Windows 7 to see what data is being received by the laptop.) I notice on the tablet that the bluetooth icon does not light up when connecting and/or connected to my GPS unit. (I'm guessing that's normal ?)

I'll try wiping my tablet this evening with stock flambe v15 and see how things go.

I'll report in later.

thanks.

#40 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

I reflashed using Flambe v15 (then incremental v15_e)

I had downloaded "Bluetooth GPS (by Googoo Android, version 1.0.)" I had no luck connecting to my bluetooth GPS device from the tablet. Then I went into settings and adjusted the options to put checkmarks beside:

1. reconnect
2. flash notified led
3. show status
4. use insecure connection (I think this did the trick.)
5. connection workaround
6. dev mode. (I took the checkmark off after I noticed the GPS started working.)

Thanks to all of you on this thread, expecially Ballcnz and Steve8x8, for helping me get through this.

Edited by fire2012, 12 October 2012 - 05:41 PM.