External GPS through BT

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 ericavd

ericavd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

For people who want to connect an external GPS receiver through bluetooth, here is the steps.

1. Modify build.prop. Set gps.enable=true. Reboot and there will be a new option (GPS sattlelites) in Location services. Check the option.
2. In Settings menu/Developer's option, check allow mock location.
3. Install a bluetooth GPS application. I only tried Bluetooth OMS GPS.

Now your FIRE will take location info from GPS. Without step 2, your FIRE will only recognize external BT GPS, but won't take location info from it.
The above steps apply only to GPS receivers. If your external GPS resides on another phone or tablet, you have to install some Bluetooth GPS output application on the phone (or tablet).
  • mastiandroid5 likes this

#2 yash3339

yash3339

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Thank you!

Sent from my LG Optimus One using Tapatalk 2

#3 Widowmaker

Widowmaker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

What is the best App to modiy the build prop?
Thanks

#4 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:13 AM

For people who want to connect an external GPS receiver through bluetooth, here is the steps.

1. Modify build.prop. Set gps.enable=true. Reboot and there will be a new option (GPS sattlelites) in Location services. Check the option.
2. In Settings menu/Developer's option, check allow mock location.
3. Install a bluetooth GPS application. I only tried Bluetooth OMS GPS.

Now your FIRE will take location info from GPS. Without step 2, your FIRE will only recognize external BT GPS, but won't take location info from it.
The above steps apply only to GPS receivers. If your external GPS resides on another phone or tablet, you have to install some Bluetooth GPS output application on the phone (or tablet).

Since the Ainol Fire does not have GPS, I'm thinking of buying a bluetooth GPS. Do you know if this item will work with the Ainol Fire (along with the instructions posted above ? (I tried posting a link to an e-bay product, but the link keeps getting messed up, so I'm guessing I'm not allowed to post external links. If you do a search on e-bay for "BT-Mini Keychain GPS Receiver Bluetooth 51ch Wireless" you'll see it for $25.) There's also another one on e-bay "GLOBALSAT BT359 BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER (NEW)"

Edited by fire2012, 09 September 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#5 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

can anyone recommend a cheap gps bluetooth receiver that will work with the Ainol Fire ?

#6 Mr. Splodge

Mr. Splodge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

I've got this I've had for years http://www.holux.com...ent.jsp?pno=340 works fine. Not sure whether they're cheap or not.

#7 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

I've got this I've had for years http://www.holux.com...ent.jsp?pno=340 works fine. Not sure whether they're cheap or not.

It's about $50. A bit too steep for me. The one I quoted above is about $25.

#8 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Since the Ainol Fire does not have GPS, I'm thinking of buying a bluetooth GPS. Do you know if this item will work with the Ainol Fire (along with the instructions posted above ? (I tried posting a link to an e-bay product, but the link keeps getting messed up, so I'm guessing I'm not allowed to post external links. If you do a search on e-bay for "BT-Mini Keychain GPS Receiver Bluetooth 51ch Wireless" you'll see it for $25.) There's also another one on e-bay "GLOBALSAT BT359 BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER (NEW)"

someone on the elf II forum uses one of those keychain ones (with a bt dongle as the elfII doesn't come with BT) and says it works fine!

Edited by fards, 11 September 2012 - 03:34 PM.

GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#9 Crihz

Crihz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I found that same BT GPS receiver on e b a y today. It will work as long as it is able to connect through BT...any brand will do.

Edited by Crihz, 11 September 2012 - 03:37 PM.

"We can all have fun with this device. It is cheap and awesome." - Pat Moss

#10 Steve8x8

Steve8x8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

I had a "B-Speech GPS-12C" paired with the Fire yesterday, and the "Bluetooth GPS Provider" App to check the submitted position. Looked good.
On A****n Marketplace, I found an offer for a Motorola device (released 2008 or so, but reliable and rather cheap). Will try that soon.

I also installed the "iNMEA Logger" which gathered about 120 records which looked like ... NMEA, you guessed it (no, I didn't send them).
Something I might try today is "GPS Status & Toolbox" (which I couldn't download from Play, only install from the .apk file).
Next step, of course, would be Maps and Navigate (MapFactor Navigator suffers from the still unresolved "incompatible with your device" issue...)

Edited by Steve8x8, 13 September 2012 - 05:17 AM.

#11 Heathersonline

Heathersonline

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Anyone know of an iphone app that can allow the GPS be used? Phone is jailbroken if that helps. Still waiting on mine to be shipped :(

#12 Steve8x8

Steve8x8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

AFAIK you'll need the full BT stack - last time iOS came only with headphone BT support.

#13 Heathersonline

Heathersonline

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

It's so annoying, why the need to control what people use their phones for!! Can't wait till my contract is up!! Anyway rant over, thanks!

#14 Steve8x8

Steve8x8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

I don't have the details but I know someone in the neighbourhood was using his iPod touch with an external GPS receiver. He had paid for the hardware; I don't know about the software though (neither do I know what it might have been called).

#15 yonearth

yonearth

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

someone on the elf II forum uses one of those keychain ones (with a bt dongle as the elfII doesn't come with BT) and says it works fine!

Yup that was me. :blink: :hi:

Look up BT-MINI Keychain Bluetooth GPS Receiver on a well known auction site, and if you're in the UK you'll probably find the one I have, working on Elf 2 via OTG and a BT dongle, for £16.30. It's small but very groovy imo, I'm delighted with it. It turned up 8 days after ordering.

I also use Bluetooth GPS app from play store, the OP pretty much sums up how the setup works. Enable GPS to apps and mock locations in settings, turn on BT & pair with the receiver if it's not already paired, then use Bluetooth GPS app to connect the GPS data stream, then GPS will be available to navigation apps etc.

The keychain pairs immediately but doesn't connect data until it has a GPS fix, thirty seconds or so after first switching on, but it's really solid and works everywhere I've tried it.

I'm using it with Navfree app for offline road navigation, so no 3G necessary and costs no money for software or maps, and I also use Custom Maps app for overlaying satellite images etc. Bit more complicated to set up for offline use but fine for offroad/walking/golf/zoos etc.

No reason why it shouldn't work just as well with a Fire. I suspect any BT receiver with NMEA output will work, you can probably get one for less than UK£10/US$20 if you hunt around and don't mind lower accuracy and sensitivity.

Basically <£20 spent for a working SatNav system, and there are logging apps too if you want. Can't be bad. :D

Edited by yonearth, 14 September 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#16 max1001

max1001

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Man USB GPS receiver are like 35 bucks but the BT one are 10 bucks. Wanted one for the Aurora ii

#17 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:56 PM

Man USB GPS receiver are like 35 bucks but the BT one are 10 bucks. Wanted one for the Aurora ii

Where did you see BT GPS units for 10 bucks ?

#18 freddy5

freddy5

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

i will try to share gps from my smartphone via app.

Share GPS on Bada guide

Sent from my GT-S8600 using badaBoard!

Ainol Novo7Fire @4.2.2-20130506.qm.v5

#19 fire2012

fire2012

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

The keychain pairs immediately but doesn't connect data until it has a GPS fix, thirty seconds or so after first switching on, but it's really solid and works everywhere I've tried it.

I'm trying to connect my bluetooth gps dongle to my Fire. When pairing, I put in my bluetooth "0000" code. It seems to connect. But after about 2 seconds, I see a quick message go by stating "bluetooth device disconnected." But my device still shows up under the "Paired devices" list.

Using the GPS Status app, I get a message "Gps is currently disabled. Please enable it in your system setting screen" I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Under Location Services, I have "Google's location service", "GPS Satellites" , "Location & Google search" all with a check mark ON.

I checked my build.prop file and I do have GPS set to true.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong ?

#20 aka motor

aka motor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

What is the best App to modiy the build prop?
Thanks

Well I found "build.prop Editor" worked fine - available free on the Playstore

On the Fire tab installed "Bluetooth GPS" and tested on two older Samsung android phones (GT5670 and i5500) a program called "GPS over BT" both free and available on Playstore.

Working fine just need the build prop edit as per OP and enable mock GPS provider.

Edited by aka motor, 09 October 2012 - 03:05 AM.