• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PanzerSajt

PanzerSajt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

WARNING:

I'm not responsible for the damage that you might cause to your tablet while following this tutorial. Do it at your own risk only. Basic Linux knowledge is required. (Altough you might wan't to try to repair the tablet at your own since sending it back to China costs way too much and it can take 1-2 mounths to get you tablet back.)

Things'll you need:

• Screwdriver
  • Soldering iron
  • Old telephone card
  • Nokia CA-42 cable (serial to usb) (only important if you need serial connection)
  • Micro SD card
  • Charger of your tablet
  • Multimeter
  • Pc running Ubuntu 12.04
  • Usb cable (not that important)
  • Patience

Disassemble the tablet

There's some disassembly videos on youtube. This one shows T30 but the same applies to T20.

Desolder the battery

This is needed to be 100% sure wether the mainboard is powered or not. Just heat up the soldering iron and simple desolder the black wire. Use tweezers because the wire can heat up pretty quick.

Locate the serial pins onboard

You should find these pins on the main board: TX RX GND and SYSBOOT.
Posted Image

Preparing the cable (not important if you don't need serial connection)

Now you should cut your Nokia CA-42 cable in half to get acces to the cables. If you have a geniune Nokia cable than you could just simply solder the appropriate cables to the pins. Do not solder 3.3v to your tablet's main board!
Posted Image

Preparing your PC (skip if you don't need serial connection)

I have used Ubuntu 12.04 but it should work with other linux distributions as well. You'll need to install a program called Minicom. After installing it you'll need to change the serial port setting inside Minicom like this:
  • Serial port: /dev/ttyUSB0
  • Hardware flow control: off
  • Software flow control: off

After that save it as the default configuration. Close Minicom and then reopen it and check whether you have succesfully modified the default settings or not.

Downloading some software

Download the most recent firware available. After downloading extract it and locate the folder "Boot"

Download Linaro Ubuntu:
I have used a preinstalled Linaro Ubuntu img to correctly format the SD card to enable the board to boot U-boot bootloader from the SD card instead of the internal EMMC.
At time of writing this post this is the latest image. Download it and follow the instructions written here to write the image onto your SD card.

After this unplug and reconnect the SD card to your PC and delete all the files on the Fat partition and copy everthing (logo; MLO; u-boot.img; uImage; uImage_recovery) from the T20 Firmware's Boot folder to the SD's empty Fat partition.

Unmount SD card and insert it into your tablet.

Starting the actual recovery

So by now you should have your prepaired SD card in place and the battery desoldered from the main board.

You have to reconnect the screen's connectors.

Short the SYSBOOT pin to GND on your tablet. Hold down Volume + on your tablet while connecting the charger. Now the CWM recovery should come up and use another SD card with the SmarQT20 firmware on it just like normally upating your Android. From CWM select "install from SD card" and after it has finished your tablet should be working just fine again.
Here is a translated version of the chinese CWM.

Being happy and saying thanks to me :D
I hope this tutorial was clear and easy to follow, if not please let me know. Also if you have questions feel free to ask me. ;)

Edited by PanzerSajt, 15 September 2012 - 10:21 AM.

• CBAbingdonUK and juan carlos M like this

#2 PanzerSajt

PanzerSajt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I have uploaded my tutorial here. Feel free to ask ;)

#3 CharlesMouse

CharlesMouse

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thank you very much for this. :D

#4 hungi

hungi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

What do you think can i use this guide to other tablets (with the correct boot.img) if i found these pins?
Specifically with my Amlogic 8726-MX dual core icou7 tablet? After the flashing of the official firmware its completely dead :(

PanzerSajt: magyar vagy? :)

Edited by hungi, 17 December 2012 - 02:22 PM.

Wayteq XPad-70; OEM Allwinner A10 tablets (LY-F1, A7, N30); Ainol Elf II, Crystal; Ampe A85Q; Onda v811 (quad)

#5 PanzerSajt

PanzerSajt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

What do you think can i use this guide to other tablets (with the correct boot.img) if i found these pins?
Specifically with my Amlogic 8726-MX dual core icou7 tablet? After the flashing of the official firmware its completely dead :(

PanzerSajt: magyar vagy? :)

Yes you can but these pins are just for debug info and controlling u-boot, not about uploading the firmware.

#6 Shy71275

Shy71275

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

PanzerSajt,

I need your help.I'm not able to identify the sysboot pin on the motherboard of my chinese tablet gemei g6.I've found the original software online and I 'd like to re-install it, (through the Sd card reader), because I bricked the tablet.
I've done some pictures that shown the Rx Tx pin,but I need also to identify the GND and SYSBOOT pins as well to perform
the correct procedure.Can you help me?
Many thanks for your help.
shy

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   452.42KB   35 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   343.63KB   36 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   423.36KB   27 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   320.67KB   24 downloads
  • Attached File  5.jpg   450.95KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  6.jpg   455.17KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  7.jpg   393.76KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  8.jpg   217.36KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  9.jpg   402.7KB   30 downloads
  • Attached File  10.jpg   393.59KB   32 downloads

#7 ranjithck

ranjithck

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

THnaks for the great tutorial

#8 can erturk

can erturk

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:17 AM

hi.
smartq x7 not running.I did the firmware upgrade. A more open.does not display.

http://p1304.hizlire.../18/y/mlql5.jpg

http://n1304.hizlire.../18/y/mlql9.jpg

http://n1304.hizlire.../18/y/mlqlk.jpg

I could not find sysboot

jtag how can I do?

#9 PanzerSajt

PanzerSajt

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

hi.
smartq x7 not running.I did the firmware upgrade. A more open.does not display.

http://p1304.hizlire.../18/y/mlql5.jpg

http://n1304.hizlire.../18/y/mlql9.jpg

http://n1304.hizlire.../18/y/mlqlk.jpg

I could not find sysboot

jtag how can I do?

Unfortunately I can't see JTAG connectors on this board but I can see the serial port pins TX RX GND try connecting to these using my tutorial, but I don't have X7 so I haven't tested this method with that tablet.
Keep us informed and sorry for the late reply!

#10 Lion_Killer

Lion_Killer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

I have broken T20(without battery) and good T19(with battery)

What console speed should be?

I connected to GRN and on board TX + serial cable RX (TX pin is free) , without shorted SYSBOOT and try to use TeraTerm or Putty on Windows but console is empty or shows unreadable words.

"You have to reconnect the screen's connectors." - Why reconnect screen's connector ? Or you mean disconnect it?

#11 aegyssus

aegyssus

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

Very detailed information. I wonder, is there something similar for my ED88 tablet (MKT6575)? It has an USB connector that broke after a couple of years and I need to unbrick it after I altered the data partitions...

Thanks for any suggestion.