Android Tablets Forum banner

Observations/Bugs

14K views 60 replies 18 participants last post by  xcode 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I seem to have issues with HDMI and audio. The video is perfect on both modes (HDMI and Non-HDMI) but audio starts breaking up bad thru HDMI

Any others experience this?

EDIT: 2nd observation... How can I set it up so I can sleep the device (if doing something via wifi it doesn't disconnect until no activity for x mins) and then put everything to sleep until I wake it up? Last night I left it downloading something, dont remember if I put it to sleep myself but this morning it had no charge.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
HDMI issue is not only on the C97 but the Ramos w22pro also has the same issue. No 3.5mm available either.

EDIT2: I just realized its my nVidia cable but shouldnt matter right?

EDIT3: HDMI works fine on another TV. At least it's not hardware.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there, I received two C97 machines yesterday... it seems I should wait more
before buying such new models... the finishing quality is different, not only
between them, but also comparing to my previous C91-upgrade units.
For example in one of the two, the upper left corner of the plastic doesn't fit
very well the screen,it's a bit loose.
The machines are slim, but relatively heavy for their size.
In the first machine, the rear camera, sometimes captures in color and sometimes
in black and white...it's funny,I move the tablet up and down and the color comes
and go all the time!
But the second machine is worst. Sometimes it crashes, making a high pitch noise
and showing heavy flickering on the screen!

This is the problem at my second tablet... I pictured it with my mobile phone
http://img819.images...20913005254.jpg
Any ideas what the problem might be?

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
What ROM is running on both of them? (/mnt/flash/version.txt)

Is it the 0806? (ZT283_I1_2a_1GB_Android4.0_0806_V2.42)

Probably best to email Zenithink and ask them: bcjiang@zenithink.com

#7 ·
It seems to me that my problems have to do with the CPU mode
The C97 has 3 modes... powersave, normal (default) and performance.
In normal & performance, my system crashes after a short while
(maximum operating time 25 minutes in normal, less than 10 in performance)
I'm currently operating in powersave, for more than 2h and everything
goes smooth. In this mode the cpu operates at something more than 700Mhz,
while the cpu can go up to 1.2Ghz in other modes. So I suspect that the
problem is related to some kind of overheating due to the higher
frequencies of the other two modes.

Quadrant reports a value of 3083 in normal mode
and 2300 in powersave.

Anyway, I hope this guy from zenithink will give us a clue.

#8 ·
More, with the 4.0.4 beta firmware the max for the CPU is higher, 1512 Mhz.

P.S. Before opening or doing anything to the hardware, I would go with a 4.0.4 beta firmware flash, just to be 100% sure that the issues are not firmware-related.

Cheers
kok

#10 ·
Hi vf_patras_greece,
I've tried the cpu modes with quadrant (tested two times for each mode) and below you have the results:

Program used:

Quadrant advance 1.1.1 rev 1352

Modes

Power saving:
1st - 1073
2nd - 1190

Normal:
1st - 2032
2nd - 1846

Performance:
1st - 3297
2nd - 3213

Everything done running the 4.0.4 beta firmware

Cheers
Kok

#11 ·
ok...status update.
before flashing the new official rom, i have manage to work with my
tablet,without the annoying flickering. But however, a new problem
appeared...my wifi connection was coming and going in very short
intervals (3-4s on and connected, same time disconnected)
of-course in this case is like having no network at all!i can't setup
anything from the store because the connection is dropped very quickly.
today i updated the table with the new,official rom.the problem persists.
I must also say that during the short connection time,i hear a very low
hissss sound from the speaker that goes away when disconnected.
I'm afraid i will soon need to open my machine,to see for loose cables

#14 ·
This machine is making me nuts...after flashing the official v2.44 rom,
crashes have returned and as for loosing the wifi connection...i used my
wildfire phone as an access point with wap encryption and the tablet connected
to it stably.my wireless router also uses wap but when i remove the phone
access point, back again to the same issue...wifi unstable.
Now it's time perhaps to go on with the 4.0.4 version rom

#12 ·
HDMI Switch:

I can select 720p or 1080p on my 27.5" 1920x1200 monitor (Definitely 1080p) but I get same results/resolution. Is this the max the C97 will do? 720p?

#16 ·
I received mine today as a replacement for C91 upgrade whose display stopped responding to touches. (I had to pay $30 extra to get C97).
The tablet is very fast, especially compared to crappy C91u. But unfortunatelly this one has deffective buttons - it raises/lowers volume
independently on what im doing. It's undoubtedly HW problem because it happens also when flashimg. Lol it flashed JB 6 times in row, because
the vol+ pressed itself. :)) So another replacement awaitng. Luckily in my country the seller pays postage fees for both ways during warranty.

#17 ·
Check to see if the minus button is just depressed and "stuck". I guess if your guy pays return shipping it doesn't matter, just get a new one. But the only issue with these tablets is the case isn't precise. I think this is a good tradeoff seeing as the compeition's tablets are $50-$60 more.

#18 ·
with cm9 it's incredibly sleek! i'm trying it right now but the build seems perfect so within today i'll release it

ps: usb bluetooth included

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Question: Does the screen lock option of face unlock work on the C97's? On the C93, I was able to set it up, but it goes straight to the alternate/backup method when the lockscreen appears and doesn't seem to start the camera to try to detect the face....

#25 ·
Is the volume really low on anyones C97? Or is it just my tablet? I've removed the the thin plastic covering the back, but it didn't help at all. My C93 is very loud compared to the C97 I have.... (Using 0910/0911 ICS currently on them....)

#28 ·
What ROM are you using?

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, glad you have it working now.....

But so you know, JellyBean officially no longer supports Adobe Flash Player (in terms of Google)... The last ROM it's officially supported with is ICS....

#32 ·
Hello everyone,

i have purchased a C97 for a few days now and the device seems very nice for its value.

I am having some random issues though:
  1. Applications force close randomly, especially youtube and settings. When i try to view a video on youtube it shows a force close message. Sometimes when i browse through settings it just closes and gets me back to home screen without any notification. This happens to other applications also.
  2. When i plug in my earphones to fit in the hole, the sound is having some distortion and i have to remove them and let the half of the dongle inside.

It was having installed the latest 4.1.1 but i reflashed it again and the issues remain.

Is it about the rom?
Also they have removed the 4.0 version from their official download section. Does anyone have a mirror of it?

#33 ·
#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all. Been reading in the C97/C93 threads for a bit now and have learned a ton. Thanks to everyone that takes the time to post so others can find answers! Also wanted to say thanks to the Devs and testers for providing such awesome ROMS and bug reporting!

I recently purchased a Zenithink C97 with Christian Troy's CM10 ROM from F&L (thanks for the product reviews and super fast shipping Frank!). CM10 was really smooth but I had problems with apps that use the mic like Google Search and Sound Recorder. I also had audio issues with Skype from the Play Store with this ROM. The audio sounded like digital static. Ironically, I had this same problem with Skype on my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop. I found a workaround for it by first running Google Talk and leaving it open in the background. Then Skype would work fine. I tried this on the C97 with CM10 and audio sounded normal for a split second and then went back to digital static. I'm guessing that Skype doesn't play nice with ALSA in some setups.

Based on these problems I wanted to try a different ROM. I decided to try Omarahum's 0910 ICS ROM. I couldn't figure out how to get TWRP to recognize the zt-update folder so I flashed Zenithink's 0908 Beta ICS first. The reason I used this ROM is because it has the autoscript file in the zt-update (make sure to rename autoscript1 to autoscript) folder which allows the ROM to auto-flash upon reboot. This ROM had problems with randomly booting to a black screen but it put me back to stock recovery. I was then able to flash Omarahum's ROM. This ROM works very well and is really stable. This is my first tablet and I'm enjoying experimenting with it on this ROM. I have found a few issues and workarounds that I would like to share. Hopefully this will help someone and maybe others have workarounds or fixes for my outstanding issues.

1. If the tablet is charged while powered off it only charges to 93%. I tested charging with power off again last night and it did in fact charge to 100%. It does charge to 100% when powered on.
2. The battery charge drops from 100% to 90% in the first 30 mins of operation. Battery life seems to be holding better since the powered down charge from last night. It does however last around 12 hrs total with moderate use.
3. My apps are loading to the external sdcard. Is this normal? My android phones don't operate this way so maybe I did something wrong.
4. GMail from the Play Store would not work. I found a GMail 4.0 ICS APK that works just fine.
5. The default orientation of the screen seems to be with the connectors down in portrait and to the right in landscape. The tablet is awkward to use this way because of the camera and volume control placement. Most apps auto-rotate but the occasional app doesn't. Is there a way to have the connectors up in portrait and to the left in landscape by default?
6. The mic seems to have low input level. I believe I have made a substantial improvement by installing Alpha Volume and ASR from the Play Store. I turned everything to max with Alpha Volume and in the settings menu of ASR I set mic gain to 7. Higher than 7 seemed to be over-driving the mic. ASR may need to run in the background if you plan to use the mic but I haven't fully tested this theory.
7. When using Skype or when recording sounds there is noise in the mic audio path when the battery starts to get low. Noise goes away when plugged into the charger. I believe this has something to do with interference from the Wi-Fi radio getting into the audio path. Killing Wi-Fi cleans up the audio.
8. There's a digital package noise that comes through the speakers when Wi-Fi is actively passing data. It's low level with a good batt charge but seems to get louder when the batt gets lower.
9. The speakers have a constant low level hiss even when the tablet is sleeping. I'm assuming the audio circuit isn't very good and has a high signal to noise ratio.
10. The speech to text display does not come up unless you minimize the keyboard and then tap in a text field again.
11. The stock News and Weather app force closes when you click on the current temperature from within the app.

Despite these issues the tablet is overall very good, especially for the price. Thanks for your time!

#43 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everyone,

Did anyone had some problem with the tablet like listen some sound like a click when you press the power button to lock down?
It's really strange. I press the button the sreen turns off and sometimes I listen this click :s

Hardware problems ?

please help me, and sorry about my english, i'm from portgual

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.