• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#41 kamelot

kamelot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

The cost of sending the unit back to China is half its price. I don't believe they will cover shipping costs.

Edited by kamelot, 05 September 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#42 mmaacc

mmaacc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

<4>[ 4.452083@1] axp_cfg_board->pmu_init_chgvol=4200000mV not right! use default 4200mV

Same appears in the latest test build 0830, so this is not fixed yet.

#43 aadiey

aadiey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:21 AM

thats it. i'm putting it back in the box and wait firmware announcement next week. i doubt they make any changes on the
hardware layout/circuitry in just one month interval.

Ainol has actually done some recall from some sellers I have contacted and the sellers know there is a problem with the tablets if you talk to them personally.

You can't find 1 single store in China that have stock of the Fire currently. They are expected to receive them from next week onward.

Thinking they are reflashing new roms or changing a hardware for the new batches.

Makes you wonder how they never found this problem if they even tested the hardware in the first place.

#44 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

pmu_init_chgvol is said to be the variable for "setting initial charing target voltage". The options are 4100/4150/4200/4360 mV.
I don't know what this char(g)ing target voltage means but it seems to be the load voltage for the battery and does not have
much to do with the IC of the touchscreen. Maybe the IC supply voltage is based on this and gets the voltage peaks from the wrong
default value.

yeah just had a look at it, didn't get a chance last night when I posted.

I don't think it has got much to do with the IC issue (not ruling it out) but more to do with the bad batttery/power thing going on as seen on the latest elf/aurora builds..
I'm wondering; if its using a peak voltage as an indicator of battery capacity/load then it could be freaking when it gets values back that are too low as a percentage of the wrong voltage?

Edited by fards, 05 September 2012 - 02:49 AM.

GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#45 Voxyn2307

Voxyn2307

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:35 AM

yeah just had a look at it, didn't get a chance last night when I posted.

I don't think it has got much to do with the IC issue (not ruling it out) but more to do with the bad batttery/power thing going on as seen on the latest elf/aurora builds..
I'm wondering; if its using a peak voltage as an indicator of battery capacity/load then it could be freaking when it gets values back that are too low as a percentage of the wrong voltage?

Normally it should not be freaking when it gets value back that are too low. The charging voltage of the battery only applies if an external power charger is connected to the tablet. Operating on battery the voltage delivered is 3.7 Volts from the battery.
Now there are two questions coming to my mind:
1. Did the touchscreen fail when an external power adapter was connected or was any USB device connected?
2. Is the charging voltage set wrong and by that reducing battery capacity in the ELF II?

#46 MichaelChou

MichaelChou

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationBeijing, China

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:43 AM

I just found out my touchscreen wasn't totally broken. It still reacts to my fingertouch, but there's an offset so that where I touch isn't the same place on the screen.

#47 jogermech

jogermech

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

I just found out my touchscreen wasn't totally broken. It still reacts to my fingertouch, but there's an offset so that where I touch isn't the same place on the screen.

Hmmm
If offset is constant, maybe it will be possible to make some kind of calibration?

Edited by jogermech, 05 September 2012 - 03:49 AM.

#48 Ian_Superfly

Ian_Superfly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Dear friends,
Let me first state that I am guessing in this post. I am guessing so much that almost every word might be found as crap by more knowledgeable members. I do not know much about hardware and I do know less about software. However, I have a strong feel that the touchscreen problem is less severe that feared (crossing my fingers).

1. Surfing the net, I have found only two confirmed problems with the touch screen where it clearly expressed that the problem is "dead touchscreen". I have found a number of complaints about "bad response etc" but that could be something else than a bad touch screen (especially when you consider that most of us are not natively speaking English and some even using Google translate…). The AML info might not be regarding "dead touchscreens" it might be related to less critical "behaviour".

2. Both occasions of confirmed "dead touchscreens" are from this forum and both have tested Linux on the Fire (am I right here?). Linux Android or Linux whatever SHOULD not be able to fry a screen. IF the reason is from running a foreign Linux, it is most likely possible to reverse whatever has changed (I have seen many strange things happening when testing new/alpha versions of Linux, Windows and OS X, sh-t and strange things do happen).

3. User MichaelChou (who is one of the users that had this "dead touchscreen") is now reporting that the screen might respond but that it is very much off set. This incurrage my feel that the screen is OK “hardware wise” (at least not “dead”) but that something has been put out of calibration and therefore should be possible to re-calibrate/adjust. MichaelChou, can you confirm that the screen is "responding"? Does it respond "all over" (or just in some areas)? Can someone who knows more about Android and software confirm that the calibration of the screen is possible to affect by software?
Thanks for reading, as I started to say, I do not KNOW sh-t about what I am writing. I am just guessing.

/Ian
(One Ainol Fire in the mail somewhere between China and Europe and one Ainol Elf II/Dark Elf)

#49 N3000

N3000

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

What I don't understand is that if hardware is the same for everyone, why only some screens fails ?

Would it be better if you charge the fire only when it's turned off (so never use it when it's charging).

#50 Voxyn2307

Voxyn2307

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

What I don't understand is that if hardware is the same for everyone, why only some screens fails ?

Would it be better if you charge the fire only when it's turned off (so never use it when it's charging).

These are just speculations from our side with no official statement from Ainol so we can't give you an answer to this.

#51 smurfiez

smurfiez

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

Could possibly be like a time bomb, just a matter of time before it breaks. I ordered a fire too but my supplier said he's waiting for the 2nd batch of Ainol Fires to come, ainol agreed to recall the initial purchased units.

#52 kamelot

kamelot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

Now there's more bad news... This is a message from bbs.ainol.com from someone, who apparently answered to someone's message about the touch problem. I'm nut sure if this person is somehow related to Ainol, so please Chinese speakers translate what's written.

Touchscreen is damaged. Ainol release more 40 000 tablets with this problem. You have 1434. tablet from 16.8.2012. You use warranty and wait on 2generation Ainol Novo 7 Fire in October.

Edited by kamelot, 05 September 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#53 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, Netherlands

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Dear friends,
Let me first state that I am guessing in this post.

2. Both occasions of confirmed "dead touchscreens" are from this forum and both have tested Linux on the Fire (am I right here?)

No, you are wrong. Although I am the author of Linux for the Elf II (and that works fine, check my thread in the Elf II forum here on SlateDroid), my Fire lost the touchscreen without any Linux testing or ROM flashing whatsoever. In fact it still has all the Chinese apps it came with, I didn't even have the time to uninstall them.

Oh, and BTW, there are other users that have had the same problem with the touchscreen on the Fire, and the problem has been officially acknowledged by Ainol (I have posted a quote from the Ainol BBS above, just read it).

The fact is, let's see how Ainol handles the RMA for my Fire. Right now I am waiting for their reply to my post on their BBS, asking for instructions on how to return my Fire to them.

The way Ainol responds to my request will set a precedent for how all other Fire early purchasers outside of China will have to able to handle the situation if the touchscreen on their first-batch Fire fails.

Also it is now clear that Ainol has recalled all unsold Fire's from resellers in China. It was the correct response to a manufacturing defect that is likely to cost them some money.

Unfortunately for me, I was one of the early buyers, but that should teach me a lesson: wait for the second (or even third) batch for my next tablet purchase! :blink:

Edited by AndrewDB, 05 September 2012 - 08:54 AM.

#54 Javi!

Javi!

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

Now there's more bad news... This is a message from bbs.ainol.com from someone, who apparently answered to someone's message about the touch problem. I'm nut sure if this person is somehow related to Ainol, so please Chinese speakers translate what's written.

Touchscreen is damaged. Ainol release more 40 000 tablets with this problem. You have 1434. tablet from 16.8.2012. You use warranty and wait on 2generation Ainol Novo 7 Fire in October.

It looks like a regular user from the forum, not an admin.

Guys, i think we can see 3 different situations here:

First: the ones who have the touchscreen issue, can confirm that there is something bad with the tablet (software or hardware related, we don't know). Ainol doesn't gave any info about this, so we can say that they are doing some research (at least, they should be doing it).

Second: Some paranoids behaviours, that make this look like a nightmare, when probably (and hopefully) it isn't THAT bad.

Third: Maybe, and i say MAYBE, the delay in the release date of Flame, it's mainly related with some firmware update (it's not much time to do a hardware replacement of all of the units already produced).

So, if i'm correct and this delay it's related with that, all of we can calm down a little bit, since it's not that bad after all. And those who already have defective units, will be able to update the firmware when the patch it's ready.

Obviously i'm not any official voice of Ainol, but i read lot of threads and "annoucements", and they all share 2 things in common: not official voices, and lot of speculation. So, i'm trying to keep only with proven information:

1) there is a touchscreen issue, but we don't know if it's hardware or software related.

2) The release date of Flame was delayed.

#55 kamelot

kamelot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

(I have posted a quote from the Ainol BBS above, just read it).

AndrewDB, it appears someone has responded to your post. Look at mine above.

Edited by kamelot, 05 September 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#56 5zymon

5zymon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

It looks like a regular user from the forum, not an admin.

yeah it's some polish guy I have also seen him on ainol facebook, I am not sure where did he get this information from, but I wouldn't treat it as a official info of anything.

#57 Ogun357

Ogun357

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Oh no!! I ordered an Ainol Flame from Spemall early August.They(Spemall) told me yesterday they are waiting on the English version to be released.

Yikes! I Should have gotten the Pipo U1 or the Cube u30...

Anybody have any suggestions on changing my order to another 7in. chinese tablet with similar specs? Or should I take the chance and get the Flame anyway?

#58 Kary

Kary

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Oh no!! I ordered an Ainol Flame from Spemall early August.They(Spemall) told me yesterday they are waiting on the English version to be released.

Yikes! I Should have gotten the Pipo U1 or the Cube u30...

Anybody have any suggestions on changing my order to another 7in. chinese tablet with similar specs? Or should I take the chance and get the Flame anyway?

I ordered 13 august and i have it from Spemall too. They ask me if chinesse version is ok for me and i say no problem. But now i have it power off because i am affraid of bug with touchscreen

#59 mmaacc

mmaacc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

All kind of unconfirmed news are floating around. Hold your feet. There was no mass return to Ainol, Spemall is authorized supplier and still ships the Fire. Which they confirm to have stock.

As I said earlier they are probably just completely overwhelmed with the demand and struggle to cope with their own marketing in the first place. That is to get the english version aka "Flame" out of the door. Everything else will hopefully follow soon, including the new firmware. Given that they stated to have shipped 40000 pieces already (which is a bit high in my opinion) and we have some 0.01% failure rate (4 officially reported tablets, perhaps a bit more) that's no real reason for concern I'd say.

#60 typer100

typer100

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

All kind of unconfirmed news are floating around. Hold your feet. There was no mass return to Ainol, Spemall is authorized supplier and still ships the Fire. Which they confirm to have stock.

As I said earlier they are probably just completely overwhelmed with the demand and struggle to cope with their own marketing in the first place. That is to get the english version aka "Flame" out of the door. Everything else will hopefully follow soon, including the new firmware. Given that they stated to have shipped 40000 pieces already (which is a bit high in my opinion) and we have some 0.01% failure rate (4 officially reported tablets, perhaps a bit more) that's no real reason for concern I'd say.

If I follow your logic what are the odds of having 2 broken Fire on this forum?
Samsung Galaxy S