#1 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, Netherlands

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

Well, that's it, I am apparently one of the unlucky persons whose Fire is defective - from factory. I didn't flash anything, didn't update any program, I just used the Fire for three days for simple things like web browsing and now... touchscreen doesn't work.
:( :( :( :( :(

Very disappointing, to say the least. I am now facing the prospect of shipping my fire back to China (very expensive) and wait two months for the factory to return it.

This is the touchscreen failure bug that Ainol and the touchscreen manufacturer have been working together on to solve, that is reported on the Ainol forum and BBS.

=@

#2 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:29 AM

Do you think it's hardware (bad joint/cable) or software?
GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#3 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Do you think it's hardware (bad joint/cable) or software?

Apparently it's a firmware bug that actually damages the touchscreen controller chip (overvoltage?), but Ainol didn't provide any details, they just said they would fix their firmware and that affected Fire's had to be returned to the factory.

Imho they should have provided a free recall for all users affected by this, because it's a PITA to have a tablet that self-bricks after three days of use...

Edited by AndrewDB, 03 September 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#4 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

think I'll be leaving mine in its box till there's a fix then Posted Image
GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#5 jogermech

jogermech

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Apparently it's a firmware bug that actually damages the touchscreen controller chip (overvoltage?), but Ainol didn't provide any details, they just said they would fix their firmware and that affected Fire's had to be returned to the factory.

Where did you receive this info from? And does Feiyu or Flambe also have this issue?

Edited by jogermech, 03 September 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#6 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

Where did you receive this info from? And does Feiyu or Flambe also have this issue?

It's mentioned in various places in the Ainol BBS and on the Ainol forum. Yes, all firmwares until now have the same bug because they are all based on the same source code, as far as I understand.

Ainol has promised an updated firmware "soon", but at least in my case, "soon" was "too late".
:(

#7 N3000

N3000

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

It doesn't seem to affect everyone so I wonder if it's the real cause. If an overvoltage kills the screen it should have killed all the screens... and some have their ainol fire working fine :unsure:

#8 Kary

Kary

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have new one Ainol Fire delivered today and now i am little bit scary to power on it:-( How many of us do you have this issue? Thx

#9 MichaelChou

MichaelChou

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationBeijing, China

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

You should ask Ainol to pay the shipping fee

#10 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Here is the Google translation of the warning:
Please carefully look at the following description :

Flames players like AML original raw color of the Note, 0830AML original raw firmware group closed test, do not release, another special remind, if your machine hand never brush firmware, recommended not to brush, etc. the touch IC driver to resolve the very small risk of failure may result in the individual machine touch and must be returned to the manufacturer to solve the problem and then update the firmware

ps unclear electricity whether or not allowed to amend (that is, do not know whether it is included in this apx power management driver update part), touch a very small chance may be caused by the specific conditions of the machine touch to lapse only be returned to the manufacturer the problem has not yet been integrated into this version, is said to touch IC factory is engaged in

Well, I didn't update my Fire, it had just three days of light use, and clearly the touchscreen has failed. :( =@

I haven't contacted Ainol yet, I have no idea actually how to contact them.

Edited by AndrewDB, 03 September 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#11 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

As you can see, Ainol suspects there is a bug in the AXP power controller kernel driver. The AXP chip supplies various voltages to various parts of the circuitry, including the touchscreen IC - and when you look at the kernel source code and the messages the kernel outputs when booting, you can notice there are problems with the AXP driver.
My guess is Ainol themselves don't know exactly what'ś happening and how to solve this problem, because they have asked for help from the touchscreen IC manufacturer and also from Amlogic.

Anyway, all that doesn't change the facts that:

1) the Fire self-bricks,

2) I am not the only person to whom this has happened, and

3) Ainol hasn't solved the problem yet.

#12 aadiey

aadiey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

my fire should be arrived today according to dhl tracking but after reading these i wish i didn't bought ainol fire.

#13 jogermech

jogermech

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

AndrewDB, sounds very sadly.

never brush firmware, recommended not to brush

I met this "brush" oftenly when used google translate on Ainol BBS. What does it mean?

Thank you

#14 aadiey

aadiey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

i believe it means "format" to new firmware version.

AndrewDB, sounds very sadly.

I met this "brush" oftenly when used google translate on Ainol BBS. What does it mean?

Thank you

#15 jogermech

jogermech

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

my fire should be arrived today according to dhl tracking but after reading these i wish i didn't bought ainol fire.

There is a little bit of risk even if you buy famous brand tablet. The only difference is that in case of Chinese tablets it will take much time and efforts to return this tablet (or moneyback, or change to new one)

#16 MichaelChou

MichaelChou

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationBeijing, China

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

My touchscreen didn't work, too!!

#17 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:16 AM

My touchscreen didn't work, too!!

Michael,

I AM EXTREMELY SORRY for you. We are in the same situation and as far as I know there are many others, I hope Ainol can help us out by issuing a proper recall, as I believe that the Fire as it stands has a design flaw that makes the touchscreen chip extremely vulnerable.
Mine is Serial Number SN:A NOVO7FIRE20120816G001434

#18 dekay84

dekay84

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

you guys have my symathies about the touch issue,
is there any way to avoid this once you get the tablet? or is it inevitable in the case of a faulty unit?
i really want to know this since i estimate mine will arrive in couple days and a lot of people would probablly wait if there's a temp fix or workaround applicable.

Thx.

#19 Kary

Kary

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

I am little bit scary. I will power off my Ainol Fire and i will not power on until it will resoved. I have a number NOVO7FIRE20120816G004532. I recivied my tablet yesterday and did not use it too much because i read this forum.

#20 kamelot

kamelot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Does anyone have contact with Ainol? Or can we contact the company directly and request an official statement ? I must say I am too afraid to use my Fire (which I am expecting to arrive soon).

Do you believe there can be a proper recall like the big names do ?