10 replies to this topic

#1 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

We purchased one of these directly from Velocity Cruz at the price of $249. To our surprise when we got the device we realized it is a repackaged Eken A90 with 8gb internal sd card, 1gb ram, 1.2 ghz ARMv8 processor, 4.0.4 Android ICS, Dual very low resolution cameras, uses most iPad v1 accessories, and has a Very Nice 1024 x 720 screen. These are fairly good specs but not matching the currently sold A90's that have 16gb, and 1.5ghz AWinner A10 processors plus they sell for less than $200 purchased from Chinese Retailers. We purchased directly from Velocity because we wanted their 'award winning support" and our prior purchased T410 and PS47 where great devices and we got good support for both units from the company. The T510 device has no recovery method installed (they refuse to share the details if one is) and there is "NO" ROM software available or released yet. There is no way to reset your device so it is very important to not delete or replace any of the system software as you can not reinstall any of the system at this time. The device is rooted and you can modify the system software, but it is our advice that you do not do so.

Well to say we are extremely disappointed with this product and the total "LACK" of support from Velocity is an understatement. The unit has two of the very unreliable micro usb ports that require cables to be wiggled to make connection and fuss with them to connect your device to a pc. The screen on our unit is 180 degrees out of rotation with many apps and others just don't load or run at all. These are apps that ran fine on the T410 so we had assumed they would operate on the T510 as well, but we were very wrong!! We requested Velocity accept the unit back twice because of the operating issues and mainly because of the tethering problems. They returned the unit to us both times claiming it worked fine for them in their shop and the second time claimed that they put updated ROM software on it. This was suppose to correct the issues with screen rotation, bootup, and apps not running. Those issues are still there and the device is basically sitting on a self as it is just a pain to use it.

We received the following email from Velocity service after the second return when we asked that the unit be replaced as we strongly feel it is a faulty unit. The email sent us is copied here:

>>>>>>>I am David Taylor, supervisor of the Cruz tech support call-center and administrator of warranty services. I personally worked on your device when it was last here. I updated it to our latest version of ICS (Android 4.0.4), tested it's video and audio playback, tested the Wi-Fi, storage, tethering, and various pre-installed apps. All functioned normally. I tethered your tablet on more than one PC and had no difficulty at all. I did not test Kayak or GasBuddy because I am familiar enough with these apps to know that they both rely rather heavily on Fine Location Services. Since this tablet is not equipped with a GPS device, these and any other apps that rely on Fine Location Services will not function as intended. I did install and test SuperBox, not being familiar with it at all, and found that it was not designed for ICS, but for a phone display. ICS tried to manage the app display in compatibility view, but the app seized up the tablet and forced a battery reset. This tablet will not run some older apps without error because they are not designed for use on a newer operating system. This tablet will not run all newer apps as designed because it lacks certain hardware or software (ie: GPS, Bluetooth, 3/4G, discreet GPU, DLNA, stereo speakers, LED flash, physical keyboard, D-Pad, digital compass, gyroscope, proximity sensors, near field communication, light sensors, charging LED, various multimedia codecs, drivers, etc.). As it pertains to apps, we do not warranty that the device will operate without interruption or error.

I understand you think this tablet is defective and desire a replacement. I disagree. If the tablet behaves normally here, and doesn't at your location, I believe if we were to replace the tablet, you would have the same experience as with this tablet. Therefore, my staff have been instructed not to RMA the tablet again unless there is a legitimate reason for RMA (ie; a manufacter's defect in the hardware). If you have any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
David Taylor, Cruz Team<<<<<<

We are stunned at this poor level of support and that our request to replace a faulty unit was absolutely denied. We read this response to say that the unit we have is the very device they sell and all the units are faulty and lacking in design to the point they do not operate as expected!!!

We DO NOT recommend the Velocity Cruz T510 and strongly suggest anyone considering the purchase of one buy an Eken A90 from an offshore supplier. We feel the service will be the same or maybe even better!! Also, the Eken A90 comes with recovery and there are people doing development work on it. You also can get a copy of the currently installed ROM to reset your device if the software gets corrupted with a faulty app.

Edited by Fred, 02 September 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#2 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

The OTG port has now quit working!! This is a very disappointing purchase and Velocity Micro will not even respond to my support requests. DO NOT PURCHASE from them!! They charge a 15% restocking fee if they will take the unit back and refund your purchase. Very sad!!!

#3 Tato47

Tato47

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

Velocity Micro is trying to make it seem like you are exagerating and there is nothing wrong with their tablet. "It's a personal issue." I bought a Chinese brand tablet the ibex Flytouch 10 for the same price as this tablet and it blew it of the map, more than four times faster. First of all the Flytouch 10 works with Netflix (T510 doesn't), works with Playstore (T510 doesn't), internet works without crashing (T510 crashes when I go into Velocity Micro website), works with Skype, Fruitslice anything I throw at it (T510 doesn't), and they brag about their #1 service. There website still says that "Testing is continuing on these apps (Netflix and Skype)", there are still no updates available. Guess what my T510 is at the shop for the second time for battery and recharging problems. This doesn't consider that it crashes on Youtube which comes included, Amazon store has very little useful free apps. I can't access my Bank of America account not even on the internet and the app is on Playstore (which I can't access). I am very disappointed, if I wanted a reader I would have bought a Kindle or Nook because that's all it can handle.

Thanks,
Juan

#4 richdurbin

richdurbin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Just wanted to let people know that you can change this tablet to a Eken A90 with this img file. ftp://198.58.110.11/a90_mxc6225_20121013.rar. Just flash it with Live suite and this very bad tablet becomes a beast with 4.0.4 and google apps. It now can play netflix with video and espn app. Awesome.

#5 brophylad

brophylad

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hi -> richdurbin

Hope you can help me - having just made a purchase of the t510 was delighted to see your post with the firmware which would enable me to flash it and make it an Eken A90 but the ftp link is dead dont suppose you have another source for this or can point me in the right direction

Thanks a mil.

Just wanted to let people know that you can change this tablet to a Eken A90 with this img file. ftp://198.58.110.11/a90_mxc6225_20121013.rar. Just flash it with Live suite and this very bad tablet becomes a beast with 4.0.4 and google apps. It now can play netflix with video and espn app. Awesome.

#6 richdurbin

richdurbin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hi -> richdurbin

Hope you can help me - having just made a purchase of the t510 was delighted to see your post with the firmware which would enable me to flash it and make it an Eken A90 but the ftp link is dead dont suppose you have another source for this or can point me in the right direction

Thanks a mil.

Try this link and then click on this http://www.eken.com/support.html and then go to a90_mxc6225_20121013.rar. You cant go directly to the download without going through the main page. I hope this helps. After you get this rom then you need to read up on live suite and then its all down hill from there. I will tell you to start program and load the zip file and when it tells you to plug in tablet just make sure that its off and then hold -vol button and then plug in usb plug and live suite will take over from there and then you can put CM 10 rom if you want. Just remember that its an A10 all winner chip and flash only with CM10 for a10 tablet on this forum.

#7 brophylad

brophylad

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

Try this link and then click on this http://www.eken.com/support.html and then go to a90_mxc6225_20121013.rar. You cant go directly to the download without going through the main page. I hope this helps. After you get this rom then you need to read up on live suite and then its all down hill from there. I will tell you to start program and load the zip file and when it tells you to plug in tablet just make sure that its off and then hold -vol button and then plug in usb plug and live suite will take over from there and then you can put CM 10 rom if you want. Just remember that its an A10 all winner chip and flash only with CM10 for a10 tablet on this forum.

Hi richdurbin

So mate - after doing some reading and now I am even more confused.

Live Suite Pack v1.1 - downloaded
Eken_a90_mxc6225_20121013.rar downloaded and unrar'ed has the following image inside "sun4i_crane_T05a_v1.5_mxc6225_20121013.img"

Now comes where I am confused - on reading on the A10 allwinner CM10 thread CM10 A10 Allwinner thread it starts off by going thru compatibility .zip lists of tablets but does not cover the sun4i_crane_t05a at all so what ecactly am I needing. In order to get CM10 working on this tablet.

Have not touched it yet as dont want to be left with a tablet I cannot use.

Thanks in advance.

#8 richdurbin

richdurbin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

The Eken A90 firmware is what you will flash first to do complete restore and also make your cruz tablet a eken a90. Once you do this you should try the tablet for a while before you flash it to CM 10.1 because you will enjoy the way it works after changing it to Eken tablet. The only reason I flashed it to CM10 was to see what the curiosity was and it is a good firmware. When you decide to flash CM10 then the compatibility file you will use is T05 file. The reason I know this is because I tried 3 or 4 before landing this one and all of the devices will work like touch screen and both cameras and wifi chip are the same as Eken used. I hope this helps you.

Good day

#9 richdurbin

richdurbin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

The Eken A90 firmware is what you will flash first to do complete restore and also make your cruz tablet a eken a90. Once you do this you should try the tablet for a while before you flash it to CM 10.1 because you will enjoy the way it works after changing it to Eken tablet. The only reason I flashed it to CM10 was to see what the curiosity was and it is a good firmware. When you decide to flash CM10 then the compatibility file you will use is T05 file. The reason I know this is because I tried 3 or 4 before landing this one and all of the devices will work like touch screen and both cameras and wifi chip are the same as Eken used. I hope this helps you.

Good day

This is the file you will use for flashing to CM10. I found this one after 3 or 4 try and I saved it for back up. I am attaching for you.

Attached Files

#10 richdurbin

richdurbin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

This is the file you will use for flashing to CM10. I found this one after 3 or 4 try and I saved it for back up. I am attaching for you.

This is the Eken A90 that you will flash your cruz tablet with to change it to different tablet and make it worth the money you paid.

http://www.eken.com/...l/support.html. Then scroll down to this file and download it it. ftp://198.58.110.11/a90_mxc6225_20121013.rar

#11 richdurbin

richdurbin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Flash the tablet first with the eken a90 firmware and try it and then if you want I will show you how to put CWM on you tablet so you can flash CM10 from recovery also g apps and comp. file.