• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Ian_Superfly

Ian_Superfly

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Seems like you did not do your homework well and have made a wrong decision, buying an Ainol Fire instead of a more established brand tablet.

I think you sum it up the right way.
I was (faulty) under the impression that there was another type of "value for money" than offered. However, it’s been (is) fun with both my Ainol Elf II and the Ainol Fire but they do not fulfill what I was originally looking for AND I still think that there is room on the market for such a product. I.e. low cost Android tablet with decent performance, well tested ROM and more of a "just works" -approach.
I mean, something to use at office and gain more time than you have to spend making it work...

Anyhow, I leave this thread now and take the opportunity to bow my head for all you gifted/skilled people hanging on these boards! You rock!

/Ian

Edited by Ian_Superfly, 21 September 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#22 azemanalo

azemanalo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Very direct and informative. Thank you and all the hardworking contributors.

#23 yash3339

yash3339

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Bullseye, this applies to every product coming out from China without the logo of apple or Samsung.

+1

Sent from my LG Optimus One using Tapatalk 2

#24 seeksong

seeksong

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

very good points

#25 Dysonno1

Dysonno1

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi

Im thinking of buying one of these for my little lad to play games on(angrybirds, templerun) browse the net/ browse youtube/ tvcatchup/ download apps etc.. Hes young but uses my galaxy note and teenagers ipads without a problem. He wouldnt be happy with a toy leap pad type thing plus they are the same price as these anyway.

My question is.. Is this tablet more trouble than its worth or can you do most of these things trouble free out of the box with minimal tinkering... Or will it become the bane of my life as it will be constantly failing

Thanks all

#26 cadwellpark

cadwellpark

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Good points,well said...Thank You.

#27 naughtyca

naughtyca

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

The trick is to understand what you can live with.

If you are a hipster douchebag living off your parents' income ... buy an iPad, drink retail coffee you shouldn't buy and expect a job you will never get.

If you're trying to save a buck, and unwilling to read and learn ... see above.

If you want to save a buck, and are willing to read and contribute your experience ... you are in the right place.

If you are an engineer or comp-sci trying to figure things out and want a project, you are also in the right place.

If you want to save a buck, don't want bleeding edge and will listen ... post and wait as we work on things ... thank f'ing God you are here.

The hardware is good, the firmware is ok ... but we have a great community working at it.

I wish I could spend more time, but I do what I can.

There are some awesome builds out there, but you have to know what you are doing.

Pick your level and be happy. I know I am.

well said

#28 Vorlon_Kosh

Vorlon_Kosh

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I like your points. All true and to the point.

#29 Jedres

Jedres

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the information, very clear and easy to understand, should help a lot of people.

#30 hazey12

hazey12

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

Very informative and noted.......

#31 sasatoru

sasatoru

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

thank you so much.
I'm new on Aurora II.

#32 Wil-J

Wil-J

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Good post. I guess Aurora 2 is best for people who have tech skills. Good thing many help are posted here. :)

#33 Shenzo

Shenzo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

awesome post.

Sent from my Aurora-II using Tapatalk 2

#34 antywong

antywong

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

really great post,worth reading.

#35 cptkirkh

cptkirkh

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

thanks for the advice

#36 aprendroid

aprendroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationColombia, South America

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hi to all,

I have found this thread just today and I would like to put my grain of sand.

I bought a Novo 7 Advanced in February/2012. It had some problems but I used it and enjoyed it a lot. It also served me to learn about Android, tablets in general, etc. The earphone input port became loose and, after openening, I found it completely desoldered from the motherboard. I have 2 (or more) left hands when trying to solder and I did not repair it.

I work on IT (software architect, programmer, SAP products support).

I considered purchasing a Samsung Galaxy or other "good branded" tablet, but...

1. If you make a little search about Samsung Galaxy tablets you will find several (or a lot ?) complains related with quality (this comment is valid also for other brands-models: Kindle, Nexus, etc)
2. Upgrading firmware on "good branded" machines is a nightmare and you must wait for the brand to release updated versions (sometimes the brand never release upgrades). Samsung has different treatment for different countries.
3. The firmware (Android) of these machines is highly modified by the brand and contains limitations. These limitations are a pain for me (and I guess other users) because I am interested in learn and control the machine as completely as possible. The champion in this field is Apple: you (purchaser) are a "user" and you can do only what Apple want to allow to you.
4. Ainol hardware is more complete and more standard (even if some components specs are under the specs published: Flame camera do not seem to be really a 5 MPixel camera, it seems to be about a 3 MPixels). The charging independent from USB is also a good value (charging time in models I have is about half as it would be if charging through USB port).

Taking into account these points, I purchased a Novo 7 Flame in December/2012. Pop-up sound was a nuisance but it did not make the tablet unusable. Even so, I flashed this machine several times, with different results (some problems fixed, some new problems, time consumed...). My Flame is working perfectly for my needs (mainly ebook reading and playing music... and occasionally taking a photo or playing a simple game) and I am enjoying it. I have a 32 Gb microSD full of ebooks and music and I CAN extract it from my tablet and insert it in any other device I want (except a Nexus or an IPad).

But, surprise!! I bought an Ipad Mini for my wife in September/2013 and she is very happy with it. She uses it to write texts, read and answer emails, browse internet, etc. I tried the Ipad Mini and I found it responsive, well constructed and it seems a good quality product but... it has no SD slot... it must be used via Itunes to transfer files... you must purchase a special cable to connect it to a TV... etc.

About prices: In my country (Colombia) there are some independent persons importing Ainol tablets (I guess they do not pay importing taxes but I am not sure). My Flame price was about the equivalent of USD 230 and the Ipad Mini (16 Gb, 3G) price is USD 500.

The value of a product depends on customer criteria, wishes and needs, but price is the same for all.

Good luck !!