#1 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Okay.... So I am becoming more involved over at Slickdeals. That is a great place for a retailer as it really is trial by Fire... Those are some of the most demanding folks in the world lol :). Anyhow, they always have great input and really get to the heart of the issue. Is this China Tab REALLY a better deal than XYZ Big Brand unit??

Anyhow, this particular post was in response to someone who asked the question on the thread about which of TWO different China Tabs to go with. I had seen this floating around on here as well so I copied my post over to here for you all's benefit. I hope this is helpful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The PIPO Max M1 has gotten a Jelly Bean update from PIPO but it kind of sucked.
1 - PIPO removed the Jelly Bean keyboard and only had the Pinyin Installed by default (???)
2 - PIPO decided they had better ideas than Project Butter (google it) and decided to use GoLauncher instead (idiots)
3. PIPOs build prop sucks (bad market results)
4. PIPOs new JB firmware is difficult to root.

We fixed ALL of the above issues including rooting (which we found a tool that works for this unit). Fixed the keyboard, fixed the launcher, and fixed the build.prop as well as several other minor annoyances.

The device is now simply stunning. Google's work on smoothing out performance in Jelly Bean is well noted when using the stock launcher. The PIPO M1 as sold and configured by us is the best 9.7" Android Tab your money can buy. The Touchpad doesn't even come close because the RK3066 is such a beast of a processor. There really aren't many 9.7" options available for Android so that is also another reason I can make that statement. I will also be testing the Yuandao N90 II today. I liked the N101 II a LOT so I figured testing the N90 II would be fair as it is also 9.7". I like the 9.7" formfactor MUCH MUCH more than the 10.1" form-factor. The latest batch of M1s also had a tighter build and less light-bleed on the screens. They are VERY good units. The Speaker still kind of sucks.

We will be releasing this firmware to our Ready2GO customers first (first orders are being filled next week)and will be providing the firmware for download on our site for our dropship customers and others in a few weeks. Just keep an eye on our support section.

-----------------------------------------

That all being said, the N101 II screen has a higher Pixel Density and after a few weeks of use... yes I do notice a difference. (yerg... I strongly contested this point earlier on but I have given in, the higher pixel density while only a slight difference is noticeable).

The design on the N101 II is also better. It feels thinner due to the edge design and the metal back and front face are more seemless (think more like the iPad 2) vs. the PIPO M1 which has the plastic black border/ring design. The N101 II also has the plastic ring but the edge of the back of the device is flush with it so you don't notice it. I know... minor differences but it does make an overall difference for a device you almost always hold when you use. I love the styling on the PIPO M1. The back panel on that device is sharp and unique so that is in its favor, but overall the N101 II wins in the "well built" category. The PIPO M1 is also very well built but the N101 II edges it out.

The N101 II has a 2nd Gen IPS screen. Brighter, less light bleed, less power draw. As mentioned above it also has a higher pixel density.

The N101 II has 32 GB of internal storage, the M1 has 16 GB.

As annoying as it is, Android and its app ecosystem is built around the 10.1" formfactor. So, there is better app compatability with the N101 II vs the PIPO M1, especially if you are big gamer. That being said, I still prefer the 9.7" 4:3 screen size.

So... which would I keep... the N101 II at this point wins the day. But only by a slim margin. I love both devices. The PIPO M1 is also a smidge lighter and the 4:3 form factory is easier to hold and use (forgot to mention these things). The N101 II edges it out in several areas and clearly wins though when it comes to the screen tech/resolution and the larger internal storage.

I hope this helps some folks decide... I am sure it will convince others to sit on the fence.

Regards,

Roman
  • yash3339 likes this
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#2 bluestang

bluestang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Nice honest comparison Roman...thanks!
Ainol Novo 7 Adv -- from TopNotchTablets
Yuandao N101 II -- from TopNotchTablets

#3 grays

grays

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've just ordered a Pipo M1 (live in UK) and its great that you have fixed Pipo's JB and even better that you're planning to release it to the general public.

So thanks in advance!

Cheers

#4 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Regards and very welcome! Happy to do so. Just takes time :)

I also got the N90 II in the mail today. Holy cow what a nice screen!

Briefly, the M1 Build quality is better, but the N90 II has a significantly nicer screen and I think better WiFi due to the plastic back. For longevity (durability) the prize goes to the PIPO Max M1 - Get it for your kids or teenagers... for brilliance of screen, lightweight, and better Wifi the award goes to the N90 II, get it for your parents as long as they aren't prone to dropping things and it is the better value I think. I haven't tested battery endurance on the N90 II yet though.

Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#5 dangerousp

dangerousp

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:04 AM

A week ago I ordered a Pipo M1, at that time I thought it was the best out there. It was shipped just yesterday, so probably I was to eager and ordered to soon.

How does the screen of the Pipo match an iPad (I have an iPad 1)? Because you see the n101 screen is newer and better, is the Pipo bad? Or simply not as good, and where do you notice that.

Rooting and flashing is very common to me, so I'm really looking forward seeing custom roms from you Roman!

#6 Plansete

Plansete

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

I also ordered PIPO M1 one week ago, so I havn't seen it's screen yet, but I found info that PIPO M1 screen is made by LG, so it should be quiet good.

Edited by Plansete, 30 August 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#7 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

A week ago I ordered a Pipo M1, at that time I thought it was the best out there. It was shipped just yesterday, so probably I was to eager and ordered to soon.

How does the screen of the Pipo match an iPad (I have an iPad 1)? Because you see the n101 screen is newer and better, is the Pipo bad? Or simply not as good, and where do you notice that.

Rooting and flashing is very common to me, so I'm really looking forward seeing custom roms from you Roman!

PIPO screen is very very good. The Yuandao N101 II screen is slightly better. The Yuandao N90 II screen is noticeably better. However, if you aren't sticking them side-by-side you would never think "Boy this PIPO screen could be better". It is a very good screen, very bright.

The Build Quality on the PIPO M1 is also quite excellent and performance is good. PIPO has good Quality Control I think compared with 95% of other China brands. It is still a very good choice for a 9.7" tablet or just a tablet in general, otherwise I wouldn't still sell it ;).

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#8 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Okay, as expect the back of the N90 II is a SCRATCH MAGNET. Point for PIPO AND FOR N101 II... Metal Backs...

-Ayn Rand

#9 dangerousp

dangerousp

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

I prefer a decent case, with a stand. Especially for 9.7 and 10.1 inch it's more comfortable to work with when sitting. For the pipo I ordered this one: http://www.focalpric...et_PC_Gray.html
Looks like the one I use for my iPad. But I think I'm going to use the Pipo more than the iPad when I receive it :)
But scratches are not an issue with a case.

We will be releasing this firmware to our Ready2GO customers first (first orders are being filled next week)and will be providing the firmware for download on our site for our dropship customers and others in a few weeks. Just keep an eye on our support section.

When do you think this will be available? Otherwise I've got to do the same job, as I expect it to be shipped with the same firmware.

#10 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

PIPO WINS AGAIN - JELLY BEAN UPDATE IS HANDS DOWN BETTER THAN BOTH YUANDAO DEVICES RUNNING JELLY BEAN... PIPO = BETTER FIRMWARE

Well, I am sure I sound like I flip-flop alot... and I do as I use tablets.

The latest batch of tabs I have from PIPO has convinced me that this is THE 9.7" tablet to get.

Yes, the N90 II has a brighter screen and it is lighter weight and a joy to hold.

But I have determined several things that are strongly in the M1's favor.

1st - Durability - I just don't worry about having problems with the M1 - I constantly worry about were I lay my N90 II down. The back already has some light scratches!

2nd - Prettiness - Yeah, totally "in the eye of the beholder" and all that. But still, the svelte black metal back with relief lines on the PIPO looks great as does the metalic PiPO logo and white lettering. It IS prettier even if it isn't as comfortable or light to use vs. the N90 II.

3rd - The other two above issues are negligible compared to this. FIRMWARE and PERFORMANCE and COMPATIBILITY
- Did build.prop mods on the N90 II - Asphalt 7 downloads all data but when you try to run it it just loops at the start until it gives you a network error. Same game runs on the PiPO just fine.
- UI Smoothness - You might think your Jelly Bean tablet runs nicely... then you use the M1 and you find out what nice and smooth is all about. Best UI experience I have had using any of the JB tablets thus far. (that list includes the M1, N101 II, N90 II, and PiPO U1).

WiFi has also been improved with the JB release for the M1. The N90 II still edges it out in this regard I think for range but I am happy with the M1 WiFi now. I still think the black plastic ring/border design on the M1 isn't the best, but it is sturdy and well put together. No gaps or broken plastic or bent this or that. It all looks very good.

Just thought I would update.

Regards,

Roman

EDIT: In regards to Asphault 7 - I have noticed the textures seem to be screwed up - Does someone know a fix for this? The game runs great and looks "okay" but it could look MUCH better I am sure. Someone have a fix that would be great.

EDIT2: CRAP - I guess my statement about app compatability was/is premature. I just tried Asphalt 7 on the PIPO again and now it is doing the same loop. I guess this is Gamelofts fault as they probably updated it. I have scratched out the above statement to be fair. The UI is still much smoother.

Edited by Roman2025, 31 August 2012 - 04:55 PM.

-Ayn Rand

#11 dangerousp

dangerousp

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

That are things we want to know, the real life use.

How about the battery, when they are idling, how long will the battery last? Just wifi on and push mail for example, no screen on time. I think first weeks it will be used often, but after that just a few times a day to check mail and search the internet for a few minutes. The other time it's just stand-by.

#12 yash3339

yash3339

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

That are things we want to know, the real life use.

How about the battery, when they are idling, how long will the battery last? Just wifi on and push mail for example, no screen on time. I think first weeks it will be used often, but after that just a few times a day to check mail and search the internet for a few minutes. The other time it's just stand-by.

The ainol with a bigger battery should be a better choice for you, as checking mail and casual browsing wouldn't require the power of rk3066.
with that, you should get 3-4 days of usage.

Edited by yash3339, 01 September 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#13 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

The ainol with a bigger battery should be a better choice for you, as checking mail and casual browsing wouldn't require the power of rk3066.
with that, you should get 3-4 days of usage.

If there are any other options or brands besides Ainol though with similar battery size and chipset it would be worth looking into. Ainol does not make quality products. PIPO has been good thus far, but they are new so I don't have much history with them to tell you whether they will be good in the long run. Onda is a great brand but doesn't have any decent items for sale at present. Yuandao seems to be hit or miss but most off "hit". Their quality seems decent/fairly consistent if not as good as Onda. Ainol tends to have uniquely designed units with unique specs (i.e. the larger battery) but their quality assurance is horrid as is their support for their products beyond a 3 month period.

Just my experience over the last year. Hope it helps inform a few purchases.

Measuring battery life during sleep is going to take more effort than I am going to bother with :) (no offense, just more work than it is worth for me at this point). Most folks would be happy with either device however in the 9.7" Category I am going to say the PIPO M1 is the better unit vs the N90 II (in spite of the N90 IIs better screen and thinner lighter design) so i will be selling the N90 II sample off soon I think.

I try to be fair/honest in my comparisons on devices and my honest answer is that of the 3 devices I would use the PIPO M1 the most right now (because A.) the firmware is currently better and B.) I am partial to the 4:3 aspect ratio) but I think the N101 II is probably the overall "best" unit. I am a stickler for battery life and I never felt like I didn't have enough battery over a 1-day period using and of the three units. With that being said, I didn't use the N90 II nearly as much as I have used the N101 II or M1. 95% of your use should allow you to plug the tablet in over night I would think?

Hope that is helpful :)

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#14 ricx

ricx

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Thanks for your comments.
I'll buy a PIPO.

#15 darkrickpr

darkrickpr

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

Pipo m11 has it all solid build ,slim firmware work ,battery has the best power manager i have seen with a rk3066 n a 9.7" screen

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2
My Allwinner A31 Custom Roms
Nextway F9X
JENOVA ROM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Rk3188 Custom Roms
97RQ N90FHDRK U9GT5,VISTURE V97HD
Glass ROM
Aoson M33
Mist ROM
Aishon A97 7.9inch
Custom Rom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My RK3066 Custom Roms
CUBE U20GT
GENERICK MOD RC3 , SKYDIVER , CUBEX ,JELLYCUBE
PIPO MAX M1- AOSON M11 - PIPO U1
GENERICK MOD v7
ICOO - D70PROII
Darkwater v2
PLOYER MOMO8 SPEED IPS
VINCENT ROM V1
CHUWI V99, VIDO N90FHD, Cube U9GTV, VISTURE 4HD RK3066 RETINA ROMS ONLY
DANERICK ROM, LUNATIC, MetroBleach

Check Out my Webpage www.andydarkroom.site90.com

Darkrickpr EASY ADB BATCH TOOL (RELEASED TEST 1 CHECK MY WEBPAGE)
( Is your Tablet STUCK in BOOT animation, your volume key wont help you get to CWM or Bootloader. You don't know how to use adb shell commands. Then this it the tool you will need

HOW TO INSTALL MY ROMS ON CWM RECOVERY

HOW TO INSTALL CWM RECOVERY ON RK3066 RETINA TABLET VIDEO

Buy Me A Beer CLICK HERE

#16 yash3339

yash3339

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:27 PM

95% of your use should allow you to plug the tablet in over night I would think?

is it OK to charge it overnight? I had read somewhere that it harms the battery..

#17 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

is it OK to charge it overnight? I had read somewhere that it harms the battery..

I think it is okay. There are several things you can do that are bad for your battery. The biggest thing that can hurt you battery is using the device while it is charging, especially if it is low on charge to begin with. I wouldn't recommend plugging it in for 5 days straight at a time, but letting it charge at night should be fine.

Cheers,

Roman

PS - it should be noted that the N90 II also has very good battery life and low drain during sleep. I think the JB update for both these tabs helped a lot.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

-Ayn Rand

#18 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

Pipo m11 has it all solid build ,slim firmware work ,battery has the best power manager i have seen with a rk3066 n a 9.7" screen

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

And good QC from what I have seen. I think you are much less likely to have warranty issues with an M1 and that bombshell is the final bit that totally won me over to the device as a retailer.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

-Ayn Rand

#19 Ogri

Ogri

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

On the battery charging aspect, I picked up a really cheap microprocessor controlled microUSB 2 amp charger off 'that auction site' (under £4 including postage if I remember right), sold as suitable for a Nexus 7 (by a seller with a huge number of sales and a good reputation score).

It definitely seems to prevent any risk of over charging, as the most it will let the battery get to, is a 99% charge.

I don't let the battery get too low at the moment (30% ish for a bit, due to it having run down too far when in transit, but after the weekend I'll start letting it discharge progressively more until it gets to an automatic switch off), and using the Teclast P85 (which charges through the USB port) with it plugged in, doesn't get anything heated up (everything, including the charger, stays nice and cool - I don't do any graphics intensive gaming with it though).

I think an intelligent charger like this might be a good investment to keep the batteries in good condition for a long time (available for dedicated charging ports as well, as I have one for my Nokia phone, which can also charge through the USB port as well as the charge port).

Edited by Ogri, 06 September 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#20 buberfresh

buberfresh

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'm about to order a slate, and really can't find much info regarding google play/ app support. Which of these (or the other RK3066 tablets) offer best out-of-the box or easy to fix app support, meaning so most apps you download work without having to do big softwaremods?