Pushing the files works for me with /data/misc and /system/misc, BUT when I try to run adb shell flash_image or even just adb shell I get the following error message:
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -
I have searched and searched using that error message and everything I find says click here and there and all this .. BUT I CAN'T! My screen is completely black, I can not see a thing. I am almost to the point where I want to put this thing in the trash and forget I even bought it.
I think it is really telling you that flash_image can't be found. If sh (the shell) were missing, you wouldn't be getting any shell access.
just type flash_image all by itself. If the program is found, it will return the syntax of the commend:
USAGE: flash_image partition file.img
if it isn't found, it will return:
flash_image: not found
if you get something else, then things are really screwed up
I do have a complete flash for it, which is a hybrid of the new images pulled from an untouched walmart WPDN, and some pieces of previous versions to make up a complete flash. THIS IS UNTESTED - but since you are hosed anyway, you might as well try it? I do think it will work as I know for sure the recovery and kernel are OK.
If your device is so hosed that you cannot put the flash on the external sdcard (/sdcard, NOT PD_Novel) then you might need to put the external sdcard in a computer or camera where you can copy the flash file to it, and see if it will flash.
the steps would be:
1. copy this firmware file to the external sdcard, whatever it takes to do that. you can do adb push to /sdcard, or try to use windows if it recognizes it with the usb cable plugged in (it is NOT PD_Novel - it is the unnamed volume just called Removable Disk) or worst case put the sdcard in a sdcard reader or a camera and copy the file to it that way
2. Then try to flash it by turning the unit on while holding on and the volume up buttons for 5 seconds or until the blue boot screen flashes once
3. You may have to flash it twice to get the user apps to flash. If the apps are missing after the first flash, flash it again
4. If you do this, please report back on your success or failure and how you did it
THIS IS UNTESTED. I THINK IT WILL GET IT CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL, BUT THE ONLY PARTS THAT HAVE BEEN TESTED ARE THE KERNEL AND THE RECOVERY
That said, kernel and recovery are the most important parts, that's why I *think* it will work.
There are two versions of this. One with clockwork recovery (recommended) and one with the standard (useless) recovery
All this would not be a problem if Pandigital would just release the darned original firmware that were in these things.
So here is my reverse-engineered full firmware (untested) for the WPDN model R7T40WWHF1. Only suggested for those who are bricked so bad they can't fix it.Version with clockwork recoveryVersion with standard recovery
Let me know if it works!