Unbrick tool for Fire

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 ericavd

ericavd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

This is the unbrick tool for NOVO 7 FIRE. Unless you have a corrupt system and can't boot to recovery mode, you won't need it.
This tool is released by fan group of FIRE.

Original post: http://bbs.ainol.com...a=page=1&page=1

There are five links. From top to bottom:
1. The image file.
2. Tutorial in MS Word format. (Seems the same as NOVO7 Mars)
3. Tool to write image to sd card. To make a sd card cpapble of unbricking, special partition format is required.
4. Restore sd card back to normal partiion format for normal usage.
5. A script missing in the image file. Just put it to sd card after writing image file to sd card.

Some notes:
1. Put the prepared sd card in FIRE. Hold Vol minus button and put power on. The unbricking process will start.
2. sd card below 2gb is recommended. Large sd card may have compatible issues.
3. After unbricked, if it's not needed any moer, use the program in link 4 to restore sd card back to normal.

#2 Geodex

Geodex

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

If you could sort out your posting for the newbies other than only linking to the source this would be a very nice pinned thread.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ainol Aurora II/ Pipo Max M1/ Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#3 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Very cool. I've moved the files into a single zip file and put them on my mediafire storage for people outside of China.

http://www.mediafire.../?r14p4i4cru88q
  • IrishShea, Tango One, ainolpk and 1 other like this
Pat Moss

Double Stuff ROM - NOVO Flambe ROM - NOVO Crystal ROM
Donate and support firmware development

IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainovo

#4 Serg_tvr

Serg_tvr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

Very cool. I've moved the files into a single zip file and put them on my mediafire storage for people outside of China.

http://www.mediafire.../?r14p4i4cru88q

Pat, in your package i don't see factory_update_param.aml. Is this file not important or you'v just forgot it?

Edited by Serg_tvr, 30 August 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#5 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Oops. Forgot it. Will reupload.

Edit: Fixed and re-uploaded.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Pat Moss, 30 August 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Pat Moss

Double Stuff ROM - NOVO Flambe ROM - NOVO Crystal ROM
Donate and support firmware development

IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainovo

#6 PandaJZ

PandaJZ

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi can someone link to the instructions on how to prepare the sd card or just outline it here? I'm not sure what to do.

#7 aprendroid

aprendroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationColombia, South America

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I am a little confused about this tool.

As far as I understood, it is possible bricking a Sony PSP and similar devices but I did not know how to "brick" an Ainol tablet. I have played a lot with firmware on my Advanced (recently I changed the DPI parameter and the tablet did not start but it was possible to reload firmware using Livesuit and it is normal after this).

Is it really possible bricking an Ainol Novo 7 tablet (Advanced, Elf, or other models) ? is this "bricking" a new "feature" on Fire model only ?

Thanks for any clarification about this point.

#8 AndrewDB

AndrewDB

Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, Netherlands

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

@aprendroid

Brick = "the tablet doesn't boot anymore because you have done something to its firmware"

Unbrick = "flash a complete fresh version of the firmware, thus returning the tablet to a bootable state or its factory state"

Some devices, once bricked, can't be returned to their factory settings, or only by opening the device and having access to special pins or connector.

Ainol tablets are much easier to unbrick because all you need in general is to boot from the SD card, where you will have previously copied a given set of files that contains the fresh complete version of the tablet's firmware. Then usually an automated process will overwrite the flash in your tablet with a fresh version of the firmware, thus "unbricking" it.

Edited by AndrewDB, 31 August 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#9 aprendroid

aprendroid

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationColombia, South America

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

@aprendroid

Brick = "the tablet doesn't boot anymore because you have done something to its firmware"

Unbrick = "flash a complete fresh version of the firmware, thus returning the tablet to a bootable state or its factory state"

Some devices, once bricked, can't be returned to their factory settings, or only by opening the device and having access to special pins or connector.

Ainol tablets are much easier to unbrick because all you need in general is to boot from the SD card, where you will have previously copied a given set of files that contains the fresh complete version of the tablet's firmware. Then usually an automated process will overwrite the flash in your tablet with a fresh version of the firmware, thus "unbricking" it.

Many thanks for your complete, clear (and also concise) answer.

I guess using custom (modified) firmwares is the way to obtain bricks... Now I am warned.

Thanks a lot.

#10 jeph22

jeph22

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Can I use this unbrick tool just to restore my tablet to its original factory settings?
No insult meant to Pat's Flambe ROM but I sort of missed some of the orig applications that came with the unit out of the box (which I never thought I would)...
that's why I didn't perform any backup prior to flashing it.
I only played with it for a few hours after I got the unit out of the box and flashed it with Pat's ROM after reading about it.

#11 iFX

iFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Can I use this unbrick tool just to restore my tablet to its original factory settings?
No insult meant to Pat's Flambe ROM but I sort of missed some of the orig applications that came with the unit out of the box (which I never thought I would)...
that's why I didn't perform any backup prior to flashing it.
I only played with it for a few hours after I got the unit out of the box and flashed it with Pat's ROM after reading about it.

No need to go back... just download the "orphaned" apps here:
http://www.mediafire...9#34u5ppn14oaon

NOTE: not all apps in "orphaned" apps are from the original rom... but you should be able to find the ones that are now missing.

If you're looking for that Ainol Market app, it's ainol_gfan_v2947.apk ... though it's caused me a few problems with my internal SD card getting corrupted after running a few apps found in there - so I've removed it again ;) But I can't be 100% sure that's what caused it, but my internal SD has had to be wiped a few times now - so I'm leaving that alone for now.

Edited by iFX, 18 September 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#12 Mazarin07

Mazarin07

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Do you know somewhere a better description of this unbricking procedure?
I am stuck at preparing the SD card, the USB Image Tool doesn't work for me. After the Restore I get an unformatted SD card.
The .doc file with instruction is in Chinese, so unusable for me.
----
Update:
Sorted out some of it here.

Edited by Mazarin07, 28 September 2012 - 03:39 PM.

Best regards: Mazarin07
Ainol Novo 7 Fire
Want to update your firmware? (Instructions here.) First of all: make a backup of your stock firmware, and write down its version name/number (QM or TM?).
AML Flash tool user guide. (Not enough? Click here.)
Here is how to check your system details. Modify the language settings, if you have Chinese after the update.

#13 Mazarin07

Mazarin07

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Does anybody have an idea how to change the Fire firmware with that of the Flame model? Does this work for qm Fire models?
Ainol Novo 7 Fire
Want to update your firmware? (Instructions here.) First of all: make a backup of your stock firmware, and write down its version name/number (QM or TM?).
Here is how to check your system details. Modify the language settings, if you have Chinese after the update.

#14 Crihz

Crihz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

@ericavd: Good find, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if this fan group is developing firmware too. ;)
"We can all have fun with this device. It is cheap and awesome." - Pat Moss

#15 Mazarin07

Mazarin07

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

Man, I did it!
Zipped back the downloaded files as Daiku said.
I have used the AML Flash tool and the 0921 firmware. The AML Flash Tool stuck at step 18, but I prepared a recovery SD card with the renamed files from 0921 ( you need: u-boot.bin and uImage_recovery), and managed to continue the process from my SD card. The starting screen was Chinese, but now I already knew how to sswitch to English (the first widget on the main screen is Settings, where you have to choose the 4th item from the third block, then push on the first icon).
Ainol Novo 7 Fire

#16 ring3okhu

ring3okhu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi is this ok with any Fire tablet TM/QM?
I have the TM version.
I saw that in the .zip file there is another "factory_update_param.aml"
Should i use it somehow?

I followed the instructions from Mazarin07 post 12 but i get the following errors:
E:failed to open/sdcard/patche4_ainol.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation patch aborted.
Formatting/data...
Data wipe failed...
Formatting/media...
Media wipe failed.
E:error opening/sdcard/mediafile: No such file or directory
Copy custom files failed.

Previously i installed FW0921 via AML.
What to do?

Edited by ring3okhu, 01 October 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#17 jurisekkk

jurisekkk

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Can anybody reupload somewhere for faster downloading and make english manual for unbrick? I don't understand how to do it if it is in chinese... thanks a lot guys, because I yesterday installed game Starfront and after restart my Fire was completely down and nothing worked only black screen and now I cannot go to recovery so it's completely bricked. I tried Burning Tool but nothing happened. Thanks a lot...

#18 skilgannon

skilgannon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

The USBoot didn't reformat the SD Card correctly for me on Windows 7. Still left it as the one partition and small capacity. This program did the trick for me:
https://www.sdcard.o...ds/formatter_3/

#19 Geodex

Geodex

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

Looks good to be pinned now. Thanks :good:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ainol Aurora II/ Pipo Max M1/ Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#20 jurisekkk

jurisekkk

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

This is photo what happened with my Fire... Sorry for quality but I had to make a photo in dark room without lights. Do you know how to fix it, or I have to send it back to shop for warranty???

Attached Files