25 replies to this topic

#1 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Greetings!

My MK802+ just went up in smoke, and while I am not sure that I wanna get a new one (maybe MK802 II), I do
wanna get another Google TV Box. I actually prefer the "normal" android experience over Google TV, as it is not
at all so limited in regards to installing apps...

The only problem is that I live within EU, so I if I were to import stuff from China I'd be insanely expensive to get
through customs, and I have had a few issues with finding something within EU (also the MK802 II)...

I actually thought the MK802 II was a bit slow, so I kind of wanna try something else... I am hoping to see the UG802
Dual core stick out soon, wonder how it handles heat though. I think these Boxes needs at least 1GB of ram...

I found this one, which looks pretty promising, It has 1gig of RAM and looks neat. I have contacted the seller to find out which CPU it has, who the manufacturer is, and what the model/device name is. 1GB RAM Android 4.0.3 Tv Box Google Play Mini Set IPTV WEEB TV Internet

I have also been looking at the Sumvision Cyclone 2.3 media player, I am uncertain of the clock speed (800Mhz or 1GHz?), and it only has half a gig of RAM... Not sure if sufficient enough.

Lastly I found this dual core android PC stick... But it seems to good to be true right?

I could also consider getting a used Logitech Revue for a price a bit more expensive than the MK802, but I am not sure if that would be worth it....

Do you have any alternatives? What do you guys think?

#2 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:56 AM

There are a few reasons that you should NOT get the Logitech Revue (although the keyboard clones are ok) - the main one is that Logitech have locked it up pretty tight from what I read, I had the chance to get one cheap and I decided against it.

The Pivos XIOS DS might be worth looking at, actually, I will put a link for that one:

http://www.pivosgroup.com/

They are collaborating pretty close with XBMC for hardware acceleration, I think its based around the AML8726-M

Now, on the auction site, besides the avalanche of overheating, far too tiny, too slow dongle units, you will find a device from an American distributor, again, based around the A9. They call it the G-Box Midnight and brag that it's running XBMC, probably the same Pivos build.

The XBMC tag is cropping up more and more, even with the dongles, take it with a pinch of salt, the XBMC apk is available, and it can run badly on anything....
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#3 forgir

forgir

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I recommend the UG802. You can buy it through amazon.uk and you will not need to worry about customs. I did, from Sweden, and was shipped from Hong Kong in 5 days.:huh:

Sent from the past with One X

I recommend the UG802. You can buy it through amazon.uk and you will not need to worry about customs. I did, from Sweden, and was shipped from Hong Kong in 5 days.:huh:

#4 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

If it ships from Hong Kong you will have to worry about customs. But I am gonna buy a NEO G4 (by MINIX) - it is WAY more professinal than UG802-china-quality and has 150mpbs wi-fi with no drop issues.

#5 wlf

wlf

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

If it ships from Hong Kong you will have to worry about customs.

Where are you from? You can avoid customs duty declaring low value?

But I am gonna buy a NEO G4 (by MINIX) - it is WAY more professinal than UG802-china-quality and has 150mpbs wi-fi with no drop issues.

I advise you the new Uhost2.
Minix NEO G4 have 8Gb, the Uhost2 4Gb, AnTuTu benchmark score tell us:
Minix NEO G4 score 5848
Uhost2 8202 (higher than other boxes)
MK808 7251
UG802 6786
MK802 III 5359

There is also the more expensive Minix NEO X5 with 16Gb and AnTuTu score 8026 with ethernet port and bluetooth, but it isn't a stick!

The Minix NEO G4 have JB, the Uhost2 ICS 4.0.4; ICS now is more stable with less bug.
I hope this is helpful for your decision. ;)

#6 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Where are you from? You can avoid customs duty declaring low value?

I advise you the new Uhost2.
Minix NEO G4 have 8Gb, the Uhost2 4Gb, AnTuTu benchmark score tell us:
Minix NEO G4 score 5848
Uhost2 8202 (higher than other boxes)
MK808 7251
UG802 6786
MK802 III 5359

There is also the more expensive Minix NEO X5 with 16Gb and AnTuTu score 8026 with ethernet port and bluetooth, but it isn't a stick!

The Minix NEO G4 have JB, the Uhost2 ICS 4.0.4; ICS now is more stable with less bug.
I hope this is helpful for your decision. ;)

Neo G4 just seems to have higher production quality, 150mpbs wi-fi with no drops is awesome!
The thing is, I have to be able to buy it from Dealextreme.com - because I have $130 store credit on there

#7 wlf

wlf

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Neo G4 just seems to have higher production quality

Seems? Have it or not higher production quality? Why?
You can find Uhost2 review.

150mpbs wi-fi with no drops is awesome!

Uhost2 also have 150mpbs wifi.

The thing is, I have to be able to buy it from Dealextreme.com - because I have $130 store credit on there

No problems, Dealextreme also sell the Uhost2! ;)

#8 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

I really don't know what to get now.

The thing I like about the NEO G4 is that the wi-fi is good (NO DROP OUTS), they also have a facebook site and they speak proper english and reponds to questions, and does not seem like a cheap china company: https://www.facebook...nixtech?fref=ts - I have already positive reviews: http://www.squidoo.c...x-neo-g4-review - Available from DX here: http://dx.com/p/neo-...-eu-plug-161085

The Uhost2 also seems like a good device, but I can't find any reviews of it around the internet. I am worried that it might have WI-FI connection problems such as other pocket PCs. The specs are as good as the others, but I am not sure about the quality compared to the NEO G4? I've been looking here: http://www.squidoo.c...android-mini-pc and here - the launcher seems really good! On DX here: http://dx.com/p/uhos...om-black-167645

Lastly I have been looking at the iMito MX1 which has a nice silver finish. I really like to have bluetooth in my device: http://dx.com/p/imit...m-silver-166114

#9 wlf

wlf

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

You can find a review here.

The nice silver finish (metal) isn't good for wifi reception! The plastic finish is better for wifi signal.

About your dx request bluetooth it is optional, the supplier made it with or without as requested, like the nand flash, there are 4/8/16/32GB size version, but will be very difficult to find Uhost2 greather than 4GB. ;)

The Uhost2 Dual Core is manufactured by Smallart Limited, you can contact Louis Wang

#10 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

You can find a review here.

The nice silver finish (metal) isn't good for wifi reception! The plastic finish is better for wifi signal.

About your dx request bluetooth it is optional, the supplier made it with or without as requested, like the nand flash, there are 4/8/16/32GB size version, but will be very difficult to find Uhost2 greather than 4GB. ;)

The Uhost2 Dual Core is manufactured by Smallart Limited, you can contact Louis Wang

He too mentions WI-FI problems, I don't want that :/

#11 wlf

wlf

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

If your read all the post the problem is the wifi configuratin, not the poor reception.

There is also the new iMito MX2 (antutu 6428). ;)

Edited by wlf, 22 November 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#12 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

If your read all the post the problem is the wifi configuratin, not the poor reception.

There is also the new iMito MX2 (antutu 6428). ;)

If the DX Uhost2 has bluetooth I will probably end up buying that one, when it is in stock again

#13 wlf

wlf

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

Ok, after receiving it could you tell us something about it? Thanks. ;)

#14 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Ok, after receiving it could you tell us something about it? Thanks. ;)

I ended up buying the Uhost2 along with a Measy RC11 airmouse. I probably wont have it before "next year" though

#15 Grazzer

Grazzer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

I ended up buying the Uhost2 along with a Measy RC11 airmouse. I probably wont have it before "next year" though

After a lot of reading, also plumped for a uHost2 by Smallart and a Measy RC11 controller. The uHost2 has a power button and can be turned off/standby via remote. Good spec, good write up on :-
http://tabletrepubli...nally-3127.html
Just need to make sure it has the latest s'ware and WiFi set up optimally for consistent performance. Seems like a lot of these things have some problem with WiFi performance varying.

Bit of a stock shortage of the uHost2 at the moment. Quoting dispatch on 30th November from several suppliers, keeping my fingers crossed.

Finless Bob, over on FreakTab is doing some storming work producing cleaned up ROMs for 3066 based TV sticks. Makes interesting reading.

#16 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:56 AM

After a lot of reading, also plumped for a uHost2 by Smallart and a Measy RC11 controller. The uHost2 has a power button and can be turned off/standby via remote. Good spec, good write up on :-
http://tabletrepubli...nally-3127.html
Just need to make sure it has the latest s'ware and WiFi set up optimally for consistent performance. Seems like a lot of these things have some problem with WiFi performance varying.

Bit of a stock shortage of the uHost2 at the moment. Quoting dispatch on 30th November from several suppliers, keeping my fingers crossed.

Finless Bob, over on FreakTab is doing some storming work producing cleaned up ROMs for 3066 based TV sticks. Makes interesting reading.

I'm afraid my order will ship without the Umouse2, sadly :(
If it hasn't shipped before new year I will order a NEO G4 instead.

Can you give me a link to the rom development?

#17 AC Slater

AC Slater

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

I went ahead and bought a MINIX X5 at SPAMMER! (one of the cheaper place I could find it, plus I had a coupon to use).
It's already on its way with Singapore post. Hopefully will be enjoying it around the time the holidays are here.

Already have an airmouse: the Mele F10, so I'm curious how they will work together. :D
The X5 looks really nice. Has enough USB-ports and connectivity and its design is pretty sweet.
Couldn't ask for much more, well, maybe running XBMC flawlessly, but that is just pushing it. XD

More info:
- http://minix.com.hk/...t-items/neo-x5/
- http://www.facebook.com/minixtech

Edited by AC Slater, 01 December 2012 - 07:16 PM.

MyTablets: PiPO Max-M8 Pro & M7 Pro 3G | Ainol Novo7 Elf II (cracked screen), Fire & Novo10 Hero II (dead) | Archos 101IT G8 (weird lines on screen)
MySmartphones: Jiayu G4T Adv | FAEA F2 | Neomobile N002 (N02-M)
MyAndroidTV: MINIX NEO X5 | Mele F10
MyGaming devices: Archos GamePad | OUYA
Previously owned: Jiayu G2 & G3 | Neomobile N003 | HTC Desire Z | FNF ifive X2 | Ainol Novo7 Aurora II | Hyundai A7HD
Proud other gear: ASUS N56VZ laptop | Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 & LX-7 camera's | Earson ER-151 BT speaker | Brainwavz HM9 headphone | BOSE QC15
Soon: -
Interested in: powerful tablets (8.9"/9.4") & smartphones (≤ 5.0")
My blogposts:
Buying from Taobao / Tmall (directly from manufacturers, thru an agent) <<

#18 Sebz4n

Sebz4n

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yea I wish DX sold the X5, it really looks like the best (also an awesome design), but since I had $110 gift card to Dealextreme I went with the Uhost2 + Measy RC11 mouse from there.
Mine is yet to be shipped, so I will probably receive it sometime next year

#19 Patola

Patola

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

What about THAT alternative? Quad-Core, 1.7 GHz, 2 GB RAM!
And it says it will provide community support, and uses the same Mali 400 GPU. Should we see an open-source or useable Ubuntu driver here?

http://www.hardkerne...e=G135235611947

#20 Grazzer

Grazzer

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

I'm afraid my order will ship without the Umouse2, sadly :(
If it hasn't shipped before new year I will order a NEO G4 instead.

Can you give me a link to the rom development?

Not found uHost2 specific ROMs yet, but will keep looking - bound to come eventually.
Have a look at
http://www.freaktab....roid-TV-Players

It gives a good idea of what is going on in ROM development on Android TV sticks in general.

Had an email saying my stick is on the way. I ordered a white one but they can't get them so asked if a black was OK instead.
Black not a problem for me, so said OK send it. May not make it to the UK for Christmas, though RC11 should.
I can be patient.