• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Wongky mate, give it a rest. I have most of the ROMs on the Hannspad. The stock is OK but honestly the online video play back is not as good as the 2.3 Roms and Flasback 10.1 was the best - I would still be with it if the account verification could be fixed. The lack of apps and lack of google sync on stock pissed me off to much. Chisd1a1 got his rom spot on and I recommend it as the best custom rom for overall stable use.

#22 Wongsky

Wongsky

don't wanna share

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

Wongky mate, give it a rest. I have most of the ROMs on the Hannspad. The stock is OK but honestly the online video play back is not as good as the 2.3 Roms and Flasback 10.1 was the best - I would still be with it if the account verification could be fixed. The lack of apps and lack of google sync on stock pissed me off to much. Chisd1a1 got his rom spot on and I recommend it as the best custom rom for overall stable use.

I've not said anything unreasonable or not true. I'm not trying to refute your choice I'm shooting for accuracy - because this thread is not just about your preferences nor mine. The discussion here helps others with Hannspads hopefully get an accurate take on what's best to run on their Hannspads.

And I maintain that the last 2 incarnations of the stock rom are the most reliable, stable, quick, well performing, light on resources, and best for video playback - either locally or using flash in either apps or the browser. I ran 2.3.5 (VEGAn-TAB) for quite some time, and there's no way it's better with online video / flash than stock. That was one of the reasons I moved on.

The cons to all that can be summed up as: it's froyo / 2.2 - so a tad old hat for the interface, and not the most comprehensive app support in play. But on the plus side gmail syncs perfectly on 7792, and I never had any google account issues or play account issues on either 6039 or 7792. That you, or others may prefer a later version of android for look and feel, or for app support is one thing, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with accuracy about what the stock rom does get right.

I spent quite some time on 2.3.5, and returned to it as almost my default for a period, and accept that it has a lot going for it. But there are some glitches and minor issues, and I'm just not having it that it's as reliable or performant as stock - it's simply not. It may have other things going for it, but being best at both those two things aren't them.

That you don't like it or my opinion on the subject is one thing, but I'm just as entitled to express my opinions here, and correct falsehoods as you, sunshine, and don't you forget it.

#23 Al_Jolson

Al_Jolson

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Wongsky - You mentioned tweaking the build.prop on 7792 to allow certain apps to work. Any idea what tweak would make Tasker work? I get a message saying it's not compatible when trying to obtain it from the market, and when I try to load up an alternately obtained apk it simply fails to install. According to the developers it should work fine on 2.2.
Cheers.

Edited by Al_Jolson, 28 September 2012 - 07:15 AM.

#24 Wongsky

Wongsky

don't wanna share

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Wongsky - You mentioned tweaking the build.prop on 7792 to allow certain apps to work. Any idea what tweak would make Tasker work? I get a message saying it's not compatible when trying to obtain it from the market, and when I try to load up an alternately obtained apk it simply fails to install. According to the developers it should work fine on 2.2.
Cheers.

Truth be told, I've not bothered in recent times, tweaking the fingerprint in build.prop

I've tried it on 6039, and on other roms (probably VEGAn-TAB) with limited success, really, I haven't bothered since running 7792.

When I've tried it because I wanted to run / get a particular app from play / market, I don't think it ever made a difference. But I do remember once doing it, and it did make a slight difference to the sorts of apps that showed as compatible.

The fingerprint in build.prop seems to identify things like the version of android and build number, and probably indicates things like chipset, and model. Things like model may have some implied meaning in terms of capabilities.

Most apps I've looked at in play / market, that I've been vaguely interested, seem to claim compatibility for 2.2 onwards, but yet some say incompatible with my Hannspad as stock. Truth be told, I've not really been that bothered when it's happened - I've tried to get the app by other means (say apktops - which seems perfectly legitimate, if the app is free), or gone for an app that does something similar.

Truth be told, though, I don't have a huge range of app compatibility issues - I have quite a modest appetite for the things I want to install, and once I've got them, I couldn't then care less about what else is / isn't compatible.

What I would say, though, is that I believe the stock rom is very good for several reasons, stability, performance, use of resources, video playback. That said, it's not best for app compatiblity - you're much more likely to find more compatiblity in play for 2.3.x, or 3.x or 4.x versions of android. Problem is, I don't think there's one panacea rom for the Hannspad, really.

When I first got mine, the stock rom was awful, crashed at the drop of a hat, touchscreen sensitivity was poor, about the only thing good about it was HW acceleration for video playback. From 6039, though, it all came good where those things were concerned. In the meantime, I tried all the other versions that were available, and have since dabbled with some of the ICS roms. And whilst I can see the appeal of some of the 2.3.x roms, I was happy for a time with them, but creeping niggles and glitches, and lack of HW acceleration for video, and less than ideal flash performance (I'm not sure I could get iPlayer to work well in high quality) were the final straws for me. Tried flashback, and thought it very nice to use, but the fuzziness because of the default (too high) DPI setting irritated, lack of HW acceleration for video bugged me, and I never got flash to work properly (couldn't get the iPlayer app or through a browser to work) ended it being a contender for me.

The ICS roms have been nice to use, too - but again, defaults on too high DPI for the Hannspad's native resolution, blunts the screen's display, I've not got any faith that 512M of RAM is good enough to run ICS well (everything seems a little of a compromise to get some degree of performance) and HW acceleration for video did have some support, but nothing like as much as on the stock rom.

So I guess we all have differing priorities in what we want from our Hannspads - and although I think the recent stock roms have been very good - and have made the Hannspad more of a "just works" device, rather than one that needs loads of meddling to get it to run decently - they have limitations - 2.2 - which some will see as a limitation in it's own right; stock - which will automatically be a negative for some; and not great in terms of app compatibility. So if that's a big priority, I'd have to say starting with one of the 2.3.x roms would be a better starting place.

What I see in a lot of forums for a lot of gadgets, though, is people being obsessed with the latest or later versions of software, regardless of what works best on the device. Some people like their device to look as new and as funky as possible. Some people are swayed by the touted greater usability by newer versions of the OS. Some people like to have lots of app choice - whether that's really used, though, or whether it's just countless apps that get installed then largely ignored for some time, I'm unclear.

All I can say, is I've used my Hannspad quite a lot in the year(-ish) that I've had it, and whilst I've futzed and played around with roms, software, tweaks, I've never had more use or more satisfaction out of my Hannspad, since I returned to 6039 (just around the time it was released), then rooted it, then installed (then) market. Up to that point, I'd been kinda happy with my Hannspad, but the various limitations, issues, or glitches on the various roms had just made me a bit meh, really. When I made that step to return to 6039 (plus root and market), I suddenly felt like I'd got my money's worth, that everything worked, it was reliable, and did everything I'd wanted it to do. Sure there was the odd annoyance as a particular app I wanted, was declared as incompatible in the market / play - but then I either managed without, or worked around it (ITV Player was available for download via apktops and worked, Absolute80s wouldn't download from the market, and although somebody was helpful in supplying the apk, it wouldn't work properly on the Hannspad - but tunein radio was free and compatible from play and worked perfectly, and included Absolute80s as one of it's stations).

Have to say, if you're struggling with app compatibility, and that's a big priority for you, I doubt stock will be best - both 2.2 and the stock fingerprint will be limiting. There's some threads on tweaking build.prop with other fingerprints to try and improve compatibility in market / play - I'm unconvinced it's a procedure that's going to make wholesale differences though. I suspect if that's high on your priorities, one of the later android version roms would be better.
  • Al_Jolson likes this

#25 Al_Jolson

Al_Jolson

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Top answer Wongsky. Cheers. I am happy with my lot, so I'll live without Tasker. I was going to use it to move .nomedia files in and out of my Music folders when I open Google Play Music, but I'll survive without it.
Thanks.