24 replies to this topic

#1 HannsRed

HannsRed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Hi everybody....

I did my share of ROM testing but now I want to put a custom ROM on a pad a friend of mine owns and she is useless with IT. So I'm looking for The One Reliable Costum Rom that just works. I read that people managed to get CM7 to run 100% put with the kernels available I was not able to produce a reliable installation. So I'm asking everybody ... did anyone get any Costum Rom to work 100%? What combination and how did you install it?

I got Flashback 10.3 + tntkernel 2.6.32.9 to work very reliable BUT Play Store is not working. (I tried the Google-DNS thing and no change)

StockRom is a No-Go for me for App compatibility issues.

ICS is what I'm currently with, but even so it has been stable for a week now I would rather not risk to put it on a Pad of somebody who does not know how to use a reset button.... AND the MIC is still not working.

Thanks to everybody for your contributions.

Edited by HannsRed, 05 October 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#2 Ellhead

Ellhead

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

I have been trying to find a 100% stable combination for a few days now. I had been using the new stock build but after purchasing some games on humble bundle, I found none of them worked lol. HannsTitan has excellent compatibility but I found it has major slow down and crashing issues for me, I tried it with the hybrid kernel with no improvements and even extracted the kernel from the new stock release and applied that with no luck.

If I remember right, gingerbread roms don't support hardware acceleration, Honeycomb hasn't seen any development in a looong time but does support hardware acceleration, and the new ICS/JB roms are not 100% stable yet.

Are there any tutorials on modifying android 2.2 roms? I wouldn't mind having a go at stripping all the TapnTap rubbish out of the latest stock release in an attempt at improving app compatibility.

#3 andywheels

andywheels

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:10 AM

Having tried out most, or maybe all, of the roms I'd say these two were the most reliable and suitable for 'normal' people who, unlike us lot, don't have weird obsessions with tablet tweaking.

CyanogenMod7.2.0-chrisd1a1

VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition 7.1.0

Edited by andywheels, 28 August 2012 - 05:10 AM.

#4 HannsRed

HannsRed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Having tried out most, or maybe all, of the roms I'd say these two were the most reliable and suitable for 'normal' people who, unlike us lot, don't have weird obsessions with tablet tweaking.

CyanogenMod7.2.0-chrisd1a1

VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition 7.1.0

And what Kernel would you run this with?

#5 andywheels

andywheels

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

And what Kernel would you run this with?

I'm afraid I jumped ship from both of those roms when ICS came out so I don't know if there are better kernels to use than the ones suggested by the original poster.

I chose the Gingerbread based roms because they have, in very general terms, the greatest compatibility with apps. The stock roms are probably the most solid although I haven't actually used it as I flashed my Hannspad on the day I got it. :lol:

#6 HannsRed

HannsRed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

Same thing here. I started with HannsTitan last year, than jumped to Flashback when it looked stable until the (apparently still unfixed) market problem occurred, which happened just in time to begin using ICS which I am changing now for JB..... So in the end at the moment it looks like there are a lot of could be's/almost there - but not one contender.
Don’t take me wrong - I luve my HannsPad and I believe it's great bang for the bug... It's just as I said in the first post - If you want to give it to a non-geek, it seems like you have to stick with stock.

Edited by HannsRed, 29 August 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#7 Hasper

Hasper

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

I agree with andwheels..... I tried a fair few of the early roms (including Honeycombs)and settled back on VEGAn-Tab Ginger Edition 7.1.0. It has been the most straigtforward, fast and glitch-free rom which has now been running for over 6 months for me without any issues at all. Everything works and it's rock solid. I've not tried any of the ICS roms yet, but that is largely because VEGAn-Tab runs so well. Certainly my choice for a non-power user.

#8 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I agree with andwheels..... I tried a fair few of the early roms (including Honeycombs)and settled back on VEGAn-Tab Ginger Edition 7.1.0. It has been the most straigtforward, fast and glitch-free rom which has now been running for over 6 months for me without any issues at all. Everything works and it's rock solid. I've not tried any of the ICS roms yet, but that is largely because VEGAn-Tab runs so well. Certainly my choice for a non-power user.

I 100% agree with this. And thats why I have just gone back to it.

Actually the school where my wife works has 10 Hannspads all running VEGAn-TAB without issue. It is the most stable ROM imho.

#9 HannsRed

HannsRed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

@finbaarr & Hasper

What Kernel(s) are you using, what CWM version - and how did you install it?

#10 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

With all due respect to others' opinions, as somebody who's used VEGAn-TAB several times, for reasonable periods, 6039 and 7792 versions of the stock ROM are more stable, and then some, quicker, and proper HW acceleration for video, plus great HDMI out, too.

Admittedly, there are some who will automatically dismiss either the stock ROM(s) or Froyo in comparison with Gingerbread, or later - but all the same, stock, in my experience, has been the best I've found in terms of stability and "just works". Those are the only criteria that some will value - but given the comments on stability, it seems salient to bang on about it.

No offence taken. luckily we have a choice. I have tried the stock Roms and found them ok but not as quick as vegan tab. I my main grip was appointed compatability. Out of interest what build prop tweaks did you use to improve stock?

Edited by finbaarr, 13 September 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#11 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

I have tried both the 6039 and the 7792. I think that part of the problem was that my wife was using the tablet to test out apps for the pads at school and she could not install some of them on stock. I can’t remember any specifics but I have never had any issues with Vegan Tab. I may well have another look at the 7792 build in the future but video playback is not something that I use the pad for apart from a small amount of YouTube.

#12 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

@finbaarr & Hasper

What Kernel(s) are you using, what CWM version - and how did you install it?

I used CWM 2.5 (which happened to be there after I recovered my tablet, I think it was version 2.5.1.4) to install and flashed the Hybrid Kernel v3.

When you ask how did I install are you asking for a detailed guide as I think you need to refer to the various excellent stickies on this type of thing. But to put it simply I was coming from a bricked tablet so I had just ran the recovery process. Then:

Boot into CWM
Wipe data
Wipe cache
Wipe dalvik
Flash the ROM
Flash the kernel
Reboot

Hope that this is of some use.

#13 HannsRed

HannsRed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

Thank you for sharing this. Any chance one of you is using or could try out Skifta? I installed the Rom yesterday but could not get this particular app to work. It actually starts but than on the first screen it says "1) Choose a media source" but I cant get this to open. It would be great to know if this is a common problem or something I did wrong.

#14 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for sharing this. Any chance one of you is using or could try out Skifta? I installed the Rom yesterday but could not get this particular app to work. It actually starts but than on the first screen it says "1) Choose a media source" but I cant get this to open. It would be great to know if this is a common problem or something I did wrong.

I get the same issue when I try to choose media.

I like the look of that app though.

Edited by finbaarr, 15 September 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#15 HannsRed

HannsRed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

I get the same issue when I try to choose media.

I like the look of that app though.

Big "Thank's" for checking that out...!

#16 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

Big "Thank's" for checking that out...!

I had some issues with the wifi on Vegan Tab. I am not sure if it was the kernel or the ROM so I switched to the other CM7.2.0 based ROM last night. Seems very similar to VT but the wifi is stable. I will check out skifta later.

#17 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

I can confirm that CyanogenMod7.2.0-chrisd1a1 has the same issue with Skifta.

I tried the latest stock rom yesterday. For me it was no where near as good as the 2.3 Roms. Still we are all different and the beauty of Android is that we have a choice.

Edited by finbaarr, 17 September 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#18 Wongsky

Wongsky

don't wanna share

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

I can confirm that CyanogenMod7.2.0-chrisd1a1 has the same issue with Skifta.

I tried the latest stock rom yesterday. For me it was no where near as good as the 2.3 Roms. Still we are all different and the beauty of Android is that we have a choice.

Thing is, though, when you say nowhere near as good as the 2.3 ROMs are you talking about look and feel, or performance?

If it's look and feel you can easily root and add play, then a custom launcher (I find launcherpro perfect).

If it's app compatibility then there's always going to be some limiting factors due to it being froyo.

#19 finbaarr

finbaarr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

Thing is, though, when you say nowhere near as good as the 2.3 ROMs are you talking about look and feel, or performance?

If it's look and feel you can easily root and add play, then a custom launcher (I find launcherpro perfect).

If it's app compatibility then there's always going to be some limiting factors due to it being froyo.

The only advantage stock has is h/w acc in video playback. This is something I never do. The speed and smoothness of 2.3 was noticably better and I have yet to find an app that wont load unlike on 2.2. If you like stock then great but I find 2.3 a better fit for what I do.

#20 Wongsky

Wongsky

don't wanna share

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

The only advantage stock has is h/w acc in video playback. This is something I never do. The speed and smoothness of 2.3 was noticably better and I have yet to find an app that wont load unlike on 2.2. If you like stock then great but I find 2.3 a better fit for what I do.

That's simply not true - it's not the only advantage. The stock rom is faster, most stable and probably lightest on battery life.

True, video performance is better - but that's not just with local HW acceleration. One of the other reasons I returned to it so many times after running all the other ROMs being things like streaming video / flash support (so things like iPlayer, 4OD) - the best results I had on other ROMs where that was concerned were only nearly as good as stock handles that.

Speed - both in the interface / launcher, and when dealing with several apps and performance, are definitely the best - admittedly, the stock launcher on 7792 didn't do it's best to help the appearance of that - but 6039's stock launcher, or something like launcherpro on either of 6039 or 7792 highlights that.

I used 2.3 (VEGAn-TAB) for some time, as well as hannsitan, flashback and a couple of the ICS ROMs in evaluating performance.

True enough, 2.2's interface is perhaps a bit old-hat - but in fairness, how you run and configure your launcher is a big factor, there.

In terms of app compatibility - well that's fair comment, you will likely get greater market support on other OS versions / build.prop fingerprints, but on performance, that's simply not true. Stock doesn't just win with HW acceleration - although that could be a very big win for some - it wins on speed, performance and stability - and I suspect, battery life.