• LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

For the Ainol NOVO 7 Fire

Release 15 is now out! (10/02/2012)

Features

• Feiyu Kernel 0930
  • Rooted
  • GAPPS
  • US branding (to fix Google Play and Currency issues.)
  • 161 MB Footprint
  • Nexus 7 Fingerprint
  • Deodexed
  • Default Language: English (US)
  • Chinese apps deleted
  • Guided first time
  • gTalk video chat
  • adhoc support. Refer to this post How to Connect to Ad-Hoc Network
  • USB Host Support
  • 3G Dongle Support
  • ADB Root
  • Bluetooth Support
  • Full Dictionary in Latin IME
  • Full Screen Support
  • WPA Supplicant Update - Fast Auth DHCP enabled
Warning! This release reparitions your internal storage -- you will lose ALL data. Please backup.
This repartition gives the system 2GB of storage instead of 1GB.

Coming Up:
Download HERE

Instructions:

Go here for detailed instructions: http://www.lokumrom....nstalling_a_ROM

If you want to chat, I'm trying to stay available on IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainol

Edited by Pat Moss, 02 October 2012 - 03:11 PM.

• Nappa, bundy, trnuy2002 and 6 others like this
Pat Moss

Double Stuff ROM - NOVO Flambe ROM - NOVO Crystal ROM
Donate and support firmware development

IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainovo

#2 mcentee2

mcentee2

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

Many thanks Pat - is the recovry\update process on the Fire similar to the Aurora II for these steps ?

"[*]Reboot into recovery
[*]Wipe Cache
[*]Apply update"

I have found aidymp's post in the Aurora II forum with youtube links to this process:

Aurora II Manual Update

(I ordered mine from ipadalternative yesterday - probable delivery to UK sometime next week! :))

Edited by mcentee2, 22 August 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#3 MGK001

MGK001

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Not working for me Pat, is it done & ready yet?
MediaFire keep trying to get me to pay before doing anything.

#4 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

Many thanks Pat - is the recovry\update process on the Fire similar to the Aurora II for these steps ?

• Reboot into recovery
  • Wipe Cache
  • Apply update
I have found aidymp's post in the Aurora II forum with youtube links to this process:Aurora II Manual Update(I ordered mine from ipadalternative yesterday - probable delivery to UK sometime next week! :))

Yes identical, and since the bootloader and recovery are fine, you only need the one file. Do not unzip it.

Not working for me Pat, is it done & ready yet?

MediaFire keep trying to get me to pay before doing anything.

The update is there and ready. You should not have to pay anything to use mediafire.
  • ainolpk likes this
Pat Moss

#5 mcentee2

mcentee2

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

The update is there and ready. You should not have to pay anything to use mediafire.

Hi - I downloaded at the time I posted last message (about 10.00 am UK time) - there was only one file in the Script directory, so got that one without needing to log in or pay - the other ROM directory was empty.

since the bootloader and recovery are fine

I thought that in order to Root Andoid the bootloader has to be changed ? Are these Ainol tablets ok to get Root without the bootloader being replaced (i.e Unlocked Bootloader)?

Edited by mcentee2, 22 August 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#6 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hi - I downloaded at the time I posted last message (about 10.00 am UK time) - there was only one file in the Script directory, so got that one without needing to log in or pay - the other ROM directory was empty.

I thought that in order to Root Andoid the bootloader has to be changed ?

Are these Ainol tablets ok to get Root without the bootloader being replaced (i.e Unlocked Bootloader)?

You don't need to change the bootloader or anything to root the Fire. This script will do it.

BTW, a new script is coming out tonight.
Pat Moss

#7 mcentee2

mcentee2

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Pat - out of interest do you know if the Google Apps market respond completely with your changes or does it still filter out some things ? I have seen your Aurora ROM repesents itself as a Nexus 7, other ROMS go for the i9100 - does your Fire updates do the same ?

#8 Dima_2005

Dima_2005

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Pat - out of interest do you know if the Google Apps market respond completely with your changes or does it still filter out some things ? I have seen your Aurora ROM repesents itself as a Nexus 7, other ROMS go for the i9100 - does your Fire updates do the same ?

Just check out the zip. (build.prop), it's shown as Nexus 7:
ro.product.model=Nexus 7

#9 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Just check out the zip. (build.prop), it's shown as Nexus 7:

ro.product.model=Nexus 7

Yes, I use the Nexus 7 fingerprint since I'm more interested in getting my banking apps to work than games. There is nothing I can't install that I want. I did hear that some games like 'plants v zombies' dont like the Nexus 7 fingerprint.

You can always use the build.prop from another ROM if you want. :)

BTW, I pushed a new update out a couple of hours ago.

I'm poking around the new kernel tonight...

Edited by Pat Moss, 22 August 2012 - 07:01 PM.

Pat Moss

#10 gb_lawrence

gb_lawrence

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hi Pat Moss,

I've ordered my Ainol Fire and expect to get it in a couple of weeks. Just the same I'm reading what I can re this tablet as I feel like it will have similar bugs with Ainol Advance II, as in overheating, etc...

I've looked at your MediaFire directory's from your links above, and I can confirm that the first directory named [Quick Start Fix] contains only one file and the other directory named [ROM} doesn't have any files inside it.

Nonetheless, I'll be visiting this thread more often until I get my Fire. I hope you can create a Custom ROM with bug fixes so I can flash my Ainol Fire once I get it.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

#11 mcentee2

mcentee2

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:42 AM

Many thanks guys.

#12 ericavd

ericavd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hi,
I just ordered one Novo 7 Fire. Still waiting for its arrival.
I am looking for customized firmware everywhere on Internet. It seems that there is none for Novo 7 Fire for now. And Ainol haven't released officail rom image yet. How can I reflash (or unbrick) the device without official or unofficial rom images? I want to be fully prepared to modify it when I got mine Fire. Any help is appreciated.

#13 ericavd

ericavd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

There seems a working CyanogenMod10 and ClockWorkMod Recovery 6 for Aurora II (http://www.slatedroi...0-cmr-6-by-vld/). IIRC, Aurora II and Fire have similiar architecture. Does it also work for Fire?

#14 Geodex

Geodex

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

There seems a working CyanogenMod10 and ClockWorkMod Recovery 6 for Aurora II (http://www.slatedroi...0-cmr-6-by-vld/). IIRC, Aurora II and Fire have similiar architecture. Does it also work for Fire?

Depends on your definition of "working" mate. Have you checked that thread well?

You are better off waiting for source code release imho

Sent from my Xiaomi M1 using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ainol Aurora II/ Pipo Max M1/ Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#15 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Depends on your definition of "working" mate. Have you checked that thread well?

You are better off waiting for source code release imho

Sent from my Xiaomi M1 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, much of the hardware is not working, no graphics acceleration. Not going there for a while. I have compiled CM10 and flashed it and have similar issues, not going to release that steaming pile of crap on the world either. We need the source to get the right drivers.

Hi,
I just ordered one Novo 7 Fire. Still waiting for its arrival.
I am looking for customized firmware everywhere on Internet. It seems that there is none for Novo 7 Fire for now. And Ainol haven't released officail rom image yet. How can I reflash (or unbrick) the device without official or unofficial rom images? I want to be fully prepared to modify it when I got mine Fire. Any help is appreciated.

I used adb to backup the entire system partition, but that doesn't mean something won't get hosed.

If you look at the script I published, it does not replace any files except build.prop. It does delete the Chinese apps and add the XML,lib and app files required for gapps and google play to work. I'm playing it safe too until they release an official ROM update. However, this script does get you a fully functioning tablet.

Edited by Geodex, 24 August 2012 - 03:00 PM.

Pat Moss

#16 ericavd

ericavd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, much of the hardware is not working, no graphics acceleration. Not going there for a while. I have compiled CM10 and flashed it and have similar issues, not going to release that steaming pile of crap on the world either. We need the source to get the right drivers.

For Novo 7 Fire, can I just install ClockWorkMod Recovery 6 and backup the partition for reflashing (unbricking)?

#17 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

For Novo 7 Fire, can I just install ClockWorkMod Recovery 6 and backup the partition for reflashing (unbricking)?

No, clockworkmod does not work for UBIFS only YAFFS. And last I checked, the CM6 for Aurora did not have backup working even under YAFFS.

Getting something to compile, does not mean it will run. Getting it to run, does not mean that it works. Getting it to work, does not mean it works well enough to be useful.

Edited by Pat Moss, 23 August 2012 - 08:47 PM.

Pat Moss

#18 minibeats

minibeats

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

So just as I had given up hope on a decent battery sized China tab, along comes this! I am seriously considering buying one as the key things i'm after is a nice screen and a decent battery to go with it. I had the Ainol Novo 7 adv which I liked, but the wifi was terrible and the finish was, well Ainol. I switched to the Momo 9 as the wifi was better and it felt nicer (to me anyway) and have stuck with it but have glanced enviously at all the better res screens and IPS numbers that have come out since, but hearing all the horror stories about screen bleeds / dead pixels / different screen manufacturers etc from Ainol did make me think I made the right choice waiting. However, this has turned my head but was wondering if there was a way of checking if the following elements work for you:

1) Wifi strength - Novo 7 adv could be awful! I think I read elsewhere that it was better than before (but someone who tested it had a better router, so wasn't sure if it was this or the antenna they have attached)

2) Does Skype work with mic and video? If so, how well (roughly - echo / video grain etc)

3) I'm not heavy into gaming, but watch films and surf the net (with the odd dose of cut the rope / chess) so I'm intrigued to see what video files play, if they are in sync (another issue with the Novo 7 advanced) and how long it lasts when running a 480 / 720 video file.

4) Does the HDMI work?

If you could supply any answers to the above it would be great!

Thanks!

#19 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

I like that geodex, the definition of working CM10. I was playing with several versions of CM9 on another tablet, all of them "working"

Great to see Pat Moss doing good work here, I laughed at "Flambe" which seemed so apt, especially as it usually requires the application of alcohol...
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#20 ericavd

ericavd

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

Unofficial firmware released. I am noobie and not allowed to start a new topic. So I post it here.

http://bbs.ainol.com...74&extra=page=1

All Chinese text. I can add some English translation if needed.