40 replies to this topic

#21 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

I am going to stick this thread and consider it a help area for new users with the 2012 FW's.

Again, I have limited time online, and in order to prevent further instances of private help requests that belong on the board, and to benefit all, I am posting the contents of a PM (which under normal circumstances I would not do, but feel the content should be public and not clutter my pm's ... thanks for understanding)

PM sent to me titled "Can you point me the right way please"

I have a Pandigital Novel (white) I've been reading up on the hack to expand it's options to Android. But in my readings I'm stuck on the firmware I should be shooting for. I picked this one up on Amazon and it's a referbish. My firmware is DPC1-20120214_B_pd_inx7e_eng_6410pop. I'm thinking SH20, and I dont have a locked bookshelf. Can you point me to the correct form I should be reading on please. I've spend a good chunk of the night reading that I'm going cross eye. Thanks in advance, Hope

First of all it is wise to use caution, since the FWs and most information here refer to the 2010 S10 series / 2011 SH20 series FWs. There have also been a couple reports (unverified) of different volt charging adaptors that suggest possible hardware differences.

I hope you don't mind, but I am going to include mac1_131 in this message, since he has helped recover a couple devices with 2012 FW after they had attempted to revert to 2010/2011 FW. verified here - http://www.slatedroi...160#entry418160

Your FW is a 2012 revision. Are you sure you have the naming convention correct? Where did you purchase it and what is the Model number? This would be a first, since the first reports of 2012 FW's and bricks started here: http://www.slatedroi...s10-or-sh20-fw/

mac1_131 has C1SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP discussed here - http://www.slatedroi...wwhf1-firmware/

Another 2012 FW help thread here: http://www.slatedroi...-2012-firmware/

Zeppelinman has reported compatibility with the SH20 FW's (also another wpdn "in a little black dress") but his revision is PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP here: http://www.slatedroi...7e-eng-6410pop/

Okay, I have a full schedule this weekend and hope this starts you reading in the right direction. Please clarify your details from the settings/about device menu and hopefully mac1_131 will have a chance to chime in.

Welcome to SLD.

Thanks for the reply first off. I'm a day sleeper so I'm hearing to bed here in a bit. Any how, i picked this up on amazon obber cheap with full intention to tinker with it in and out. The model number looks to be PD_Novel, build number says 2012.02.14 but licences says its a open source license. Now this is a refurbished unit. I'm wondering if someone had the same thought as me and stared the tinkering. I hope I'm not playing catch up. Time to sleep catch you in a few hours. Thanks again

Mrs Burnout is correct on everything she is telling you.

There seem to be two versions of 2012 firmware that came out. In both cases, Pandigital has not released the firmware to the public that they used in these units.

In the past, they always released the firmware, and we could make modified ROMs knowing that you could always go back to the old firmware if you wanted to. Plus the unit had a copy of the firmware on it's internal sdcard when they shipped. That does not seem to be the case any more.

But now that they are not releasing the firmware, that makes putting any enhancements in these units a bit risky. Several folks bricked their units when they tried to install the 2011 or 2010 full ROMs on them, so whatever you do, don't do that as the old kernel will brick the unit and it will be a hassle to recover it.

We were able to recover a few of the bricked units, after I went to Walmart and bought one of them, and snatched the kernel out of one before any mods were done to it.

It probably is safe to put in kewlguy's a la carte flashes that add the android market (Gapps), several have done that successfully. If you do that, do it knowing the original firmware is not available, and you also need to put in my flash that reverts the framework back to it's original framework AFTER you get the market up and running. Right now, the revert flash I have is only for the 0224 firmware. You say you have 0214 firmware, which is a few days older and may or may not be different.

The safe bet would be to use ADB to pull the framework and build.prop out and store it in a safe place so that they can be reverted after the Gapps flash goes in. Like I say, I have it for the 0224 version but not for the 0214 version.

THESE ARE ADVANCED MODS - be careful and make sure you know what you are doing with these new firmware versions. Chances are good in time more info will come out. It would all happen a lot faster if Pandigital would release the original firmware.

DO *NOT* flash the SH20 full firmware on your unit - it will probably brick it.

I would also advise putting clockwork recovery on the unit before making any changes to it, which would assist in recovering it if things went wrong.

So now you can see, at least for the moment, this is a minefield.

What exactly are you trying to add, anyway? The only thing I could think of is the Android market.

Just the android market at this time. I'll give it a look over after the weekend. I have more resources open to me at work. Thank you again, everyone ^_^

Okay then ... since I have limited time online these days and feel this type of content belongs on the forum to benefit all, I am taking the contents of this PM and posting it on the board in the (let's consider it ) the 2012 "new users" help thread (which I will pin) here: http://www.slatedroi...-2012-firmware/

Kind Regards, and good luck with your pdn's.

:drinks:

Edit: updated POST NEWBIE QUESTIONS HERE with a link to this thread.

Edited by mrsburnout, 23 September 2012 - 04:46 AM.
*note

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#22 Talya

Talya

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Want to know something weird and wonderful?

After a month of ignoring them (I never uninstalled them since they halfway worked), my Amazon apps are FULLY FUNCTIONAL.

I have the newest version of Kindle Android it is working fine. I can download Android read any book now.

Android most importantly- I have the CURRENT version of the Amazon Appstore. Thus far downloading and opening apps like it was born to do it.
  • mrsburnout likes this

#23 Talya

Talya

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Want to know something weird and wonderful?

After a month of ignoring them (I never uninstalled them since they halfway worked), my Amazon apps are FULLY FUNCTIONAL.

I have the newest version of Kindle Android it is working fine. I can download Android read any book now.

Android most importantly- I have the CURRENT version of the Amazon Appstore. Thus far downloading and opening apps like it was born to do it.

And the only thing I did different today was to add an external SD card so I could play music. Perhaps that's all it needed- it was just too shy to say anything?

Edited by Talya, 24 September 2012 - 09:15 PM.

• mrsburnout likes this

#24 LaSponge

LaSponge

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMiami, Fl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

i see i am having the same proble as hippy i have the same fw it seems so to make sure i understand it correctly i should back up my fw just in case then i should flash the ?gapps? for the android market from kwelguy, am i correct or am i still missing something????

any help and feedback will be helpful, thank you

if you need it
Model number: PD_NOVEL

FIRMWARE VIRSION: SH20_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

KERNEL VERSION: 2.6.29 eric@ubuntu #1 THU JAN 5 15:52:10 CST 2012

BUILD NUMBER: PD_NOVEL 2012.02.14

ON BACK SHOWS MODEL NUMBER AS : R7T40WWHF2

Mod EDIT:

CORRECTION: responded to your post in the newbie thread here: http://www.slatedroi...700#entry470565

I am uncertain how you came to your incorrect assumption regarding your firmware revision.

LET THIS BE NOTICE TO ALL: Be careful what you flash to your device and absolutely certain which FW you have before altering your wPDNs -- Downgrading FW's from 2011 FWs to 2010 FWs have created bricks without the proper precautions provided by SLD. Bricks have been reported downgrading from some 2012 FWs and some have been successfully modified as well - ymmv

There are no known stock SH20 Firmwares with a 2012 naming convention. <--@LaSponge- I have modified your sig line to reflect this as well.

//edit

Edited by mrsburnout, 05 January 2013 - 09:48 PM.
Inserted my original reply, used to hijack the topic

can you walk me thru backing up my wpdn (fw and everything) on a sd card or even to my comp plz i am a little confused about it, i would like to try putting the market on it as well as the kindle app, i tried asking for help in the fourms, because i read thru the wiki and the other things pertaining to my wpdn but to be honest i don't understand the tech jargin, i know if i can get someone to help i will understand it better

if you need it
Model number: PD_NOVEL

FIRMWARE VIRSION: SH20_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP <---admin edit: there is no such FW /edit

KERNEL VERSION: 2.6.29 eric@ubuntu #1 THU JAN 5 15:52:10 CST 2012

BUILD NUMBER: PD_NOVEL 2012.02.14

ON BACK SHOWS MODEL NUMBER AS : R7T40WWHF2

#25 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Okay. I think I am falling victim to the curse of having too much info and I'm a bit lost....snip...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Stay tuned 2012 FW pdn owners...

and my apologies Talya, but I am taking over and updating your topic. Your contributions, especially since you posted what worked for you, are appreciated and I have given you +1 for getting this topic started in the first place.

Topic being locked temporarily for updates to the first post. --

Thanks for your patience.

edit: Updated first post ... still under construction ... may be a day or two before I can finish. -topic unlocked -- http://www.slatedroi...-2012-firmware/

Edited by mrsburnout, 10 January 2013 - 11:03 AM.

"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#26 carjo24

carjo24

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

A bit more details can go a long way around here...and by providing as little information as you possibly could, the question should be a read only also...lol

The info in the guide may not directly apply to certain versions of experimental, almost working or mostly working versions of FW for this device.
At the time of the authoring of the thread, it was geared to the most solid FW version (the 3/2 FW at the time...and for the record, I'm still running the 3/2 FW with mods on this for the kids and this thing works just fine)and mods for this device.
So, that said, you simply cannot ask a general question without providing more useful information.
For instance, useful information includes such enlightening pieces of information such as:
Which device are you on?
Which FW are you using?
What did you do/what happened before the issue started?
What the hell is oucommand?
Did you try adb remount because it sounds like you are getting an error that says read only. :p

Hello,

I bricked my WPDN when trying to root it using a method intended for a "normal" PDN. The device actually worked for a while, but after I charged it for a couple of hours it didn't want to turn back on. The charge indicator light up when plugged in and I can connect through abd. I found this forum thread and am hoping one of the methods listed above will fix it.

I am also getting a read only error when trying adb push. I ran adb remount, it said it was successful, but I still get the read only error when trying to push the recovery.img and bootloader.img files. My WPDN is running as root. Do you know how to change to read/write so that I can push the files?

Thanks!

#27 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hello,

I bricked my WPDN when trying to root it using a method intended for a "normal" PDN. The device actually worked for a while, but after I charged it for a couple of hours it didn't want to turn back on. The charge indicator light up when plugged in and I can connect through abd. I found this forum thread and am hoping one of the methods listed above will fix it.

I am also getting a read only error when trying adb push. I ran adb remount, it said it was successful, but I still get the read only error when trying to push the recovery.img and bootloader.img files. My WPDN is running as root. Do you know how to change to read/write so that I can push the files?

Thanks!

What do you mean by a "normal" PDN?

Where did you get this method? Link Please.

Posted Image ~cheers

#28 carjo24

carjo24

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

What do you mean by a "normal" PDN?

Where did you get this method? Link Please.

Hi,

By normal PDN, I mean a white Pandigital Novel that was not purchased at Walmart. A couple friends of mine asked me to root their tablets. One was from walmart and the other they bought from amazon. I assumed they were both the same tablet and rooted them the same way. I had seen this tablet being rooted before by simply loading a zipped file onto the sd card, then turning on the tablet by holding the volume up button and the on switch for a few seconds. The file unzips and the end result is a rooted tablet. So this is what I did and here is the link to the file: http://www.mediafire...a8xa0fdsbzi5n1y
The one from amazon rooted just fine and I'm having no problems with it. I used the same method from the Walmart tablet and it no longer turns on, like I described before. I really didn't do as much research on the tablet as I should have and now I'm stuck with a bricked one.

#29 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

By normal PDN, I mean a white Pandigital Novel that was not purchased at Walmart. A couple friends of mine asked me to root their tablets. One was from walmart and the other they bought from amazon. I assumed they were both the same tablet and rooted them the same way. I had seen this tablet being rooted before by simply loading a zipped file onto the sd card, then turning on the tablet by holding the volume up button and the on switch for a few seconds. The file unzips and the end result is a rooted tablet. So this is what I did and here is the link to the file: http://www.mediafire...a8xa0fdsbzi5n1y
The one from amazon rooted just fine and I'm having no problems with it. I used the same method from the Walmart tablet and it no longer turns on, like I described before. I really didn't do as much research on the tablet as I should have and now I'm stuck with a bricked one.

Make / model / FW revision is important.

Not sure where your root novel file is from? Please post a link to the site where the link to that file is posted.

You will want to carefully read through mac1_131's topic if it is an actual wal-mart pdn. here: http://www.slatedroi...641#entry415641

Good luck.

p.s. going to split these off-topic posts and send them to the 2012FW help thread...here:
http://www.slatedroi...-2012-firmware/

Posted Image ~cheers

#30 wilks41637

wilks41637

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Why is there a difference in amazon and wal-mart? arn't they the same?

#31 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Why is there a difference in amazon and wal-mart? arn't they the same?

No. :nea: and IIRC... mac1_131's charger is different out of the box... [not sure what/if any other hardware differences there are]

sooo... be careful and read through the links in the first post...

Good luck and welcome to SLD.

Posted Image ~cheers

#32 MisterT48

MisterT48

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

I seem to be going round in circles reading and re-reading threads about the White Pandigital. I don't want to hack it or load different firmware versions (unless I can really help it!) - but need some answers relating to handling downloads via email. I don't want to hijack this thread but need to make a post so that I can post the real problem and maybe get some help.

Thanks.

#33 streetfarm

streetfarm

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

First post under construction.... Talya's original quote from this topic that I am hijacking will remain below.

thanks for your patience :drinks:

I am tired of reposting links and directing people who do not know how to utilize the forum or wiki to learn before attempting modifications to their devices. Then I get n00bs like LaSponge (my original reply below his quote is the post I used to hijack Tayla's) so I'm going to start this help topic off with some useful links for newbies. Please read and learn BEFORE you render your devices unusable.

Taken from my reply in the 2011 FW New User's thread here: http://www.slatedroi...post__p__473810

People - Please don't make us drag information from you. Like this guy :rolleyes: http://www.slatedroi...ally-need-help/ -- please do not make the same mistakes. We need much more information since the 2012 FWs appeared..

Wiki - Introduction to the Pandigital Novel

White PDN Owners START HERE

REQUIRED Reading: PDN FW Development Board

POST NEWBIE QUESTIONS HERE

Announcement: ATTN: Pandigital Novel/Tablet Users

DO NOT FLASH PANDIGITAL'S S20 OPEN PLATFORM KIT! -- THIS WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR DEVICE -- IT WILL MAKE IT UNUSABLE!

Current 2012 FW discussions - Read the entire topics / Understand / RE-read / be certain your device is compatible / Use at your own risk.

mac1_131 - Walmart WPDN R7T40WWHF1 firmware

Zeppelinman_2000 - R7T40WBLF0 - PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

general warning topic created when the 2012 FW's first appeared - Do Not Downgrade WPDN from SL20_20120224 to S10 or SH20 FW

Good luck (there is hope) if you screwed yours up.

Happy reading..

CORRECTION: responded to your post in the newbie thread here: http://www.slatedroi...700#entry470565

I am uncertain how you came to your incorrect assumption regarding your firmware revision.

LET THIS BE NOTICE TO ALL: Be careful what you flash to your device and absolutely certain which FW you have before altering your wPDNs -- Downgrading FW's from 2011 FWs to 2010 FWs have created bricks without the proper precautions provided by SLD. Bricks have been reported downgrading from some 2012 FWs and some have been successfully modified as well - ymmv

There are no known stock SH20 Firmwares with a 2012 naming convention. <--@LaSponge- I have modified your sig line to reflect this as well.

Just wanted to say hi, and what a great site you're running here. Unfortunately I discovered you just after I ran the 'Android Open Platform Kit' on my WPDN (R7T40WWHF2). It still seems to work, but it has changed the firmware from PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP to S20_09_30_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP, and no longer has a market app. (SamSlide is no longer present). I will read through your pages to see if I should recover the original firmware or go for an upgrade. Regards, Phil.

#34 GISJason

GISJason

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:50 AM

Anyone happen to know how or if I can repair the nand on this setup of mine? I think the main issue is the nand since everything I've thrown at it has kept on coming back with that nand block being damaged :( But I cannot find a way to force it to partition the nand is there a way to use dd from adb to write up a whole new set of partitions on the nand? It boots up with no video at all but runs something just fine recovery works good too but still no video...I just certainly can see the partitions are out of whack. I donate my unit to you folks for testing and development purposes ;-) I can test anything for you. I've done lots of tinkering with other devices, but this one is a very nice setup! Cheap yet awesome...I've been tinkerin around with the idea of going into android development for a while this unit certainly seems like one of the best ones to start "testing" around with for apps. Anyhow no zip will go through without that nand being repaired. SU and system tools such as flash-image via adb isn't great atm I'm still soaking stuff up all over this cool wiki!!! :D If anyone knows of a good way to get into this quick and join up with current issues and new mods and patches to test let me know!!! :D

update -
Nada works. This unit is truely a piece of sh#t. I've bricked it 3 times but thankfully brought it back to "stock state"
Had the S10 / S20 builds loaded. But CM7 WILL NOT WORK. Even after flashing the kewlguy flashfix / SD Partitioning zips.
Will it work if I managed to resize the CM7 images and wrote them to the image banks on it as is. I notice it always runs even after I've "Bricked" it ( No video etc..) Still boots up into the android sys I flashed. 2.3 I had on there which got my hopes up and excited for nada cause no damn video.... Even tried flashing these kewlguy fix patches via CWM and adb. I do notice that nand issue over and over in the recovery logs so is it possible that certain block range is what is keeping this unit from booting the CM7 setup?

Spoiler

Edited by GISJason, 23 May 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#35 RRA

RRA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I assume you're talking about the Walmart version. Look at the previous post and follow the mac1_131 link and read that thread. There's the info you need to recover the unit. Later posts clarify things. Giant Wookie's post spelled things out well. A quick review glance and I saw the instructions repeated in post #181.

Good luck!

Anyone happen to know how or if I can repair the nand on this setup of mine? I think the main issue is the nand since everything I've thrown at it has kept on coming back with that nand block being damaged :( But I cannot find a way to force it to partition the nand is there a way to use dd from adb to write up a whole new set of partitions on the nand? It boots up with no video at all but runs something just fine recovery works good too but still no video...I just certainly can see the partitions are out of whack. I donate my unit to you folks for testing and development purposes ;-) I can test anything for you. I've done lots of tinkering with other devices, but this one is a very nice setup! Cheap yet awesome...I've been tinkerin around with the idea of going into android development for a while this unit certainly seems like one of the best ones to start "testing" around with for apps. Anyhow no zip will go through without that nand being repaired. SU and system tools such as flash-image via adb isn't great atm I'm still soaking stuff up all over this cool wiki!!! :D If anyone knows of a good way to get into this quick and join up with current issues and new mods and patches to test let me know!!! :D

Spoiler

#36 dougla12

dougla12

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hello, i understand the help that is provided for newbies. but i just cant seem to wrap my finger around it as everything seems so confusing.. so im asking for any help please.
I have a Pandigital 7' novel white.
FW: SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
KERNEL: 2.6.29
BUILD #: PD_NOVEL 20122.03.02

I know there's a new FW, but im not sure. how do i update? and how do i get play store?
Thanks!

#37 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hello, i understand the help that is provided for newbies. but i just cant seem to wrap my finger around it as everything seems so confusing.. so im asking for any help please.
I have a Pandigital 7' novel white.
FW: SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
KERNEL: 2.6.29
BUILD #: PD_NOVEL 20122.03.02

I know there's a new FW, but im not sure. how do i update? and how do i get play store?
Thanks!

You're posting in the 2012 FW help thread. Your revision is from 2011.

I'll suggest taking some time to read around before altering your device.

Learn how to use your PDN here : http://www.slatedroi...sers-look-here/
PDN Wiki here : http://www.slatedroi...andigital_Novel
2010/2011 FW Start Here : http://www.slatedroi...ers-start-here/

Good luck... and welcome to SLD.

Posted Image ~cheers

#38 tyla_t

tyla_t

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

Hi everyone - I hope someone can help. Please excuse me if I'm being thick - I HAVE read the wiki's.
I'm not an android user. I've been given a pandigital ereader/tablet to see if I can get it to a more useable state.
The owner of the tablet wants to be able to access books on amazon (through Amazon / Kindle apps).

The tablet is as follows:

Model: R7T40WWHF2
Colour: White
Model: PD_Novel
Firmware: PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 eric@ubuntu #1 Thu Jan 5 15:52:10 CST 2012
Build Number: PD_Novel 2012.02.14
Device ID: 7020000312777035

All I really need to do to satisfy the owner of the tablet is to get it to interact with Amazon through the Kindle app.
I have tried downloading the Kindle apk (both new and old versions) and all I get is the parsing error.
I have read the info on the wiki's and as far as I can gather, no suitable working FW updates exist for this model. Is this correct?

Who would have thought installing a kindle reader app and the amazon app to be so difficult?

Thanks,

Paul

#39 soul_driven

soul_driven

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

I've read the forums over and over again, plus used the "search" function and I still can't find an answer. I just got a Pandigital Novel 7 white with firmware SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP and cna't find any info on how to root it or put android market place or how to install APK's. Any help?

#40 chaoticstability

chaoticstability

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

I hope this is the right spot, if not I'll repost it in the correct spot, but here's my problem. A few years ago I bought the Pandigital Novel white 7" and was reading on the net about PANDIGITAL'S S20 OPEN PLATFORM KIT and put it on my internal SD card. My question is, with the S20_09_30_B_pd_INX7E_ENG_6410POP firmware, is there any way to upgrade from there or is there an alternate firmware I can install? If not, what can I do to get android apps on here besides the one in the SAM market?