Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Which is the official Ainol Website?

http://ainolstore.com/

or

http://www.ainol-novo.com/

I personally called Ainol in China before, and they told me ainol-novo is the official English website.
  • Pat Moss likes this

#2 Geodex

Geodex

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Official Forum: http://ainolstore.com/forums/ (No threads are responded to unless it sells some tablets)

Official Website: http://www.ainol-novo.com/ (Hardly gets updated though)

Official Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ainovo
  • Pat Moss likes this

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ainol Aurora II/ Pipo Max M1/ Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#3 cygig

cygig

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Official Forum: http://ainolstore.com/forums/ (No threads are responded to unless it sells some tablets)

Official Website: http://www.ainol-novo.com/ (Hardly gets updated though)

Official Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ainovo

I noticed the pricing of Aurora 2 at caveat emptor and ainol-novo are different.

#4 Geodex

Geodex

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

I noticed the pricing of Aurora 2 at ainolstore and ainol-novo are different.

From the looks of things they (Ainol) got sales reps and marketers running the 3 sites.

Their main concern is to sell some tablets <_< ainol-store is an official retailer with ainol in it's name

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ainol Aurora II/ Pipo Max M1/ Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#5 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Actually, I believe the official website to be www.ainol.com : check the credentials.

It is not in English though and translate does not do a good job, however, I find it the place to download the latest firmware. Slow downloads though.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#6 cygig

cygig

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

Actually, I believe the official website to be www.ainol.com : check the credentials.

It is not in English though and translate does not do a good job, however, I find it the place to download the latest firmware. Slow downloads though.

That is no doubt the official Chinese website. We are talking about the English counterpart.

#7 tooney

tooney

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

That must be www.ainol.com,Ainol seems there is no official website in English.
I am a Chinese person.I recently concerned about Ainol.

#8 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

@cygig

I know, but no-one is offering up any information regarding the so called "official" English language websites being anything more that sales portals for "some" company, so, in my opinion, if you want official firmware, go to www.ainol.com
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#9 cygig

cygig

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

@cygig

I know, but no-one is offering up any information regarding the so called "official" English language websites being anything more that sales portals for "some" company, so, in my opinion, if you want official firmware, go to www.ainol.com

That must be www.ainol.com,Ainol seems there is no official website in English.
I am a Chinese person.I recently concerned about Ainol.

If you read the first post, I did called up Ainol in China, speaking Mandarin and asked them if aninol-novo dot com is the official English website, and they said yes. And official firmwares are reposted in many forums (including this), that you would not need to go there for official firmware. Not much people uses the official firmwares as well.

#10 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

So, basically you're saying you answered your own question in your own first post. ;)

I know that all the satellite sites that are either official, or semi-official have the firmware, also so called "official" facebook pages (or fan based pages) but the key thing is that reposts and links to firmware on download sites can be manipulated and may not be safe.

Ainol do not update their reported official site, so it is particularly useless, the second you mentioned is a storefront, all others that purport to be official Ainol English language sites are not.

And I believe that the majority of people use the official firmware, or custom mods based on the official firmware.

There was one thread here regarding a potential rootkit directly from Ainol official site, sourced within the patch.zip for market access, so apparently, even firmware from the official www.ainol.com is a potential train wreck.

#11 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

My experience is that ainol-novo.com is NOT official. I ordered the Fire from them and have gotten nothing but lies when I contacted them.

If I don't get some proof soon (Monday) that they are not, I will use all my influence to FOXTROT-UNIFORM-CHARLIE-KILO them hard. First I will do a charge back, and then wreck them. (Unless someone has different information.)

Edit:

Finally. I got a real human being to email me, and my order is on it's way.

I do think they must be a distributor, and not the manufacturer -- just a sales organization.

Their customer service and responsiveness is going to need to improve if they want to do well.

Edited by Pat Moss, 18 August 2012 - 09:45 AM.

Pat Moss

Double Stuff ROM - NOVO Flambe ROM - NOVO Crystal ROM
Donate and support firmware development

IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainovo

#12 cygig

cygig

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:12 AM

My experience is that ainol-novo.com is NOT official. I ordered the Fire from them and have gotten nothing but lies when I contacted them.

If I don't get some proof soon (Monday) that they are not, I will use all my influence to FOXTROT-UNIFORM-CHARLIE-KILO them hard. First I will do a charge back, and then wreck them. (Unless someone has different information.)

I think they are official (unless the person at Ainol office was just lazy and saying yes to everything), but the customer service sucks. I'm not sure if you know it, but that is the culture in China, they will sell you something cheap and good, but comes ridden with bugs and there is almost no customer service. That is different in eB@y because that site relies on reputation for business. Ainol simply pushes all the customer service work to the dealers, so you might have more luck if you buy from one of them, but there are also dealers who scam. Poor customer service is just something commonly found in Asia (not all countries, I know Taiwan and Japan has excellent customer service). In Singapore, most shop assistance do not know their products, do not greet you, and all shops do not accept refunds even if it is a lemon. If something goes wrong they will find excuses to push you away. I heard in Hong Kong, you get yelled at for getting hands on a product and then decide not to buy it.

So, being official, and having good customer service are two independent factors. If you have a friend who knows Mandarin, best to call them up in China and FSCK them up real good.

So, basically you're saying you answered your own question in your own first post. ;)

I did not answer my own question because I only asked the office in China about ainol-novo, not caveat emptor. I was puzzled when Geodex tell us that is their official forum.

I know that all the satellite sites that are either official, or semi-official have the firmware, also so called "official" facebook pages (or fan based pages) but the key thing is that reposts and links to firmware on download sites can be manipulated and may not be safe.

Ainol do not update their reported official site, so it is particularly useless, the second you mentioned is a storefront, all others that purport to be official Ainol English language sites are not.

And I believe that the majority of people use the official firmware, or custom mods based on the official firmware.

There was one thread here regarding a potential rootkit directly from Ainol official site, sourced within the patch.zip for market access, so apparently, even firmware from the official www.ainol.com is a potential train wreck.

I have no idea how to respond to this. Firstly, I have never heard of people posting malicious firmware in the forums, of that if they do, they are taken down fast. Secondly, since you mentioned the official firmware is potentially malicious, how does that makes the community's repost, which are verified and tried and responded to by so many people, less reliable? Thirdly, the custom mods are based on the firmware, but not available on the official website, I believe most people are using these repacks and would have no reason to even go to the official website to look for it. Fourthly, even on the Chinese official website, many firmware updates comes in the form of user post from the bbs, not from the download page, the official download page comes with 0626 and some new tabs are already shipping with 0705. Lastly, I stress again, it is not about the firmware that I am concerned about, I'm more with issues like what Pat Moss had encountered - official website with ridiculously poor customer service that you doubt if its really that offiicial.

#13 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

I'm not going to allow you to change my words cygig, if a user downloads firmware from any other source than official sites, they run the risk of malware. If a custom firmware is developed here on Slatedroid and officially sanctioned, then there is a high level of trust. However, random links all over the place on other sites, facebook or whatever to firmware on download sites must be treated with suspicion and scanned accordingly. The community tend to help each other, yet there is little caution from average users who tend to trust any old file from any old website.

I mentioned that "a thread here" on Slatedroid highlighted a potential rootkit issue with the "patch.zip" file that was encased in firmware from www.ainol.com, it may have been a false positive, however, threats should never be ignored.

I still recommend that if a user of an Ainol product here wants firmware, they obtain it from www.ainol.com
  • mrsburnout likes this

#14 cygig

cygig

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

I'm not going to allow you to change my words cygig, if a user downloads firmware from any other source than official sites, they run the risk of malware. If a custom firmware is developed here on Slatedroid and officially sanctioned, then there is a high level of trust. However, random links all over the place on other sites, facebook or whatever to firmware on download sites must be treated with suspicion and scanned accordingly. The community tend to help each other, yet there is little caution from average users who tend to trust any old file from any old website.

I mentioned that "a thread here" on Slatedroid highlighted a potential rootkit issue with the "patch.zip" file that was encased in firmware from www.ainol.com, it may have been a false positive, however, threats should never be ignored.

I still recommend that if a user of an Ainol product here wants firmware, they obtain it from www.ainol.com

I think a lot of those "random links" are repost or re-uploads of links from trusted communities like slatedroid and the ainol chinese bbs. Either that they are from dealers that sells the tab (which will highly likely to get the mods from one of these communities). I am curious how would a common user chance upon a random site, probably set up just to pass on malicious firmwares, that is not a popular forum. Googling "Aurora 2 firmware" brings up several post in the top linking to slatedroid. I do not deny the fact that there is such a possibility, but I think enforcing to only download official firmwares only on the ainol official chinese sit is unnecessary. Moreover, a common user who knows only English would have a hard time navigating on the Chinese site, and would not have knowledge on reliability of roms, or maybe not even know exactly what roms and firmwares are.

Nevermind the malware on official ainol firmware since its nothing confirmed and nothing is reported over here. By far there are no reports of malware from any of the roms here.

Again, like I said, the purpose of this thread is to find out which exactly is the official english website with regards to purchasing matter, not firmware.

#15 Innerleaf

Innerleaf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

I always thought both caveat emptor and ainol-novo were just distributors for Ainol (rather than being the sales arm of Ainol directly). This seems to be the case if you read the caveat emptor "about us" page http://www.ainolstor...bout-ainol.html saying "Ainol Store is Ainol's global distributor for international buyers and the world's first and only Ainol-exclusive flagship store, shipping all Ainol products to tablet fans all around the world" and "Ainol Store became Ainol's golden distributor in May, 2012."

And in their forums in this post the mod says caveat emptor is not related to ainol-novo, which most people knew anyway.

But when the Novo7 ICS was first mentioned in 2011, I read a post on the News section of the Chinese www.ainol.com site, which pointed to them launching their English language site called: www.ainovo.com. I can't find the link atm (maybe cygig can help?), but this site has not been updated for ages, and has a lot of outdated info. I do like the case where they had the built-in kick stand though (like the Archos tablets). I found the article - http://ainol.com/plu...o&articleid=406 . Provides link to ainovo.com saying that the upgrade to ICS 4.0.3 would be made there.

So I suspected that Ainol rather than doing the retailing directly themselves went out to distributors like caveat emptor and ainol-novo instead?

Edited by Innerleaf, 18 August 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#16 Pat Moss

Pat Moss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationRedondo Beach, CA

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

I always thought both caveat emptor and ainol-novo were just distributors for Ainol (rather than being the sales arm of Ainol directly). This seems to be the case if you read the caveat emptor "about us" page http://www.ainolstor...bout-ainol.html saying "Ainol Store is Ainol's global distributor for international buyers and the world's first and only Ainol-exclusive flagship store, shipping all Ainol products to tablet fans all around the world" and "Ainol Store became Ainol's golden distributor in May, 2012."

So I suspected that Ainol rather than doing the retailing directly themselves went out to distributors like caveat emptor and ainol-novo instead?

I think that is exactly right. Their customer service will need to get ramped up if they want to sell globally. No phone number to call? Emails with delay tactics and lies?

At least my tablet is on it's way. But I was getting pretty angry last night when I read the latest email informing me that they would 'look in to my order' -- this two days after saying it was shipping that day and they would send the tracking number.
Pat Moss

Double Stuff ROM - NOVO Flambe ROM - NOVO Crystal ROM
Donate and support firmware development

IRC://chat.freenode.net/#ainovo

#17 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

ainol-novo.com :

Registrant:
chutian mic
kyoto
kiujh, kiujh 41400
Togo

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: AINOL-NOVO.COM
Created on: 03-Feb-12
Expires on: 03-Feb-13
Last Updated on: 03-Feb-12

Administrative Contact:
mic, chutian
chutian3498@gmail.com
kyoto
kiujh, kiujh 41400
Togo
1-382-659-1706

#18 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,471 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

If i remember right, ainol-novo.com is official site from last year, but just for xburst and amlogic stuff. but now, i see they have allwinner tablets too. hmmmm..
Places can find me:

HERE

#19 cygig

cygig

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

And in their forums in this post the mod says caveat emptor is not related to ainol-novo, which most people knew anyway.

But when the Novo7 ICS was first mentioned in 2011, I read a post on the News section of the Chinese www.ainol.com site, which pointed to them launching their English language site called: www.ainovo.com. I can't find the link atm (maybe cygig can help?), but this site has not been updated for ages, and has a lot of outdated info. I do like the case where they had the built-in kick stand though (like the Archos tablets). I found the article - http://ainol.com/plu...o&articleid=406 . Provides link to ainovo.com saying that the upgrade to ICS 4.0.3 would be made there.

Is this the 2011 article?
http://www.ainol.com...o&articleid=406

It says in the upcoming Jan (2012), current MIPS based Ainol tablets can get Android 4.0.3 from www.ainovo.com. And yes, that website seems very outdated now.

With regards to the mod from caveat emptor saying ainol-novo is not related to them, I would take it with a pinch of salt, as firstly, we are not even sure now which is the official English website and which is not. In one of the ainol-novo user comment they claimed they are official. Secondly, he could mean that ainol-novo does not belong to them because they are different distributors, not that ainol-novo is a scam site.

I think you are right - ainol is not selling tabs themselves, they are letting others distribute and retail. But a question remains if ainol-novo and caveat emptor are real official retailers of ainol products, and if they would honor warranty. @pat moss imagine you need to send the tab back because it is DOA, I think chances are your tab will reach them but the refund will never get to you. The local store I bought my A2 from has a photocopied cert hung there saying they are the authorized distributor of Ainol, but many Singaporean users doubt the credibility of it and some thinks that you would never be able to get a refund or exchange from them even within warranty period.

Now that I think of it, it does not really matter if the site is official if the services and after sales support is terrible. The reason why people would buy from an official english website is that should anything happen, you can reach out to them easily.

Also do note that the Chinese ainol webby isn't selling any tablets as well, from what I know they are retailing through taobao.

#20 Morovan

Morovan

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

Where is the evidence that caveat emptor is actually the official? Does anyone have experience with them?