• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

aliexpress already has the mk802 upgrade available for pre-order, will be shipping 8/25:
First Dual Core UG802 Android Mini PC Upgrade of MK802 IPTV 1G RAM+4GB ROM Quad Core GPU google tv smart android box Preorder

Nice find though that is actually called UG802 and comes with dual core RK3066 ARM chip. Should be very powerful. Antutu score is lower than my U30GT but still very good. I think single cores, like AllWinner A10, are not worth buying unless can get them cheap and have basic needs. Also, 1GB RAM is very important for Android 4 to run the OS smoothly.

Hope to see other RK3066 sticks come out too. RK3066 is a very strong chip for nettop computing. Basically the purpose behind these Android Computer sticks. Turning your TV quick and easy into a nettop/computer.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#22 wacky1980

wacky1980

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

i most likely won't be buying one just yet. still don't own an hdtv except for the small one in our bedroom, and it's hardly ever used. maybe by this christmas buying season, there will be another advance in the hardware that will make them that much better. then i can buy a nice big tv and one of these and be all set.

if there were super-cheap signal converters, i would consider getting a stick to try it out on my old tube tv. for now, the wii does just fine though (excpet for higher-bitrate mp4 stuff).
zenithink zt282 c71 M3C71-1n-E8-S080

#23 Ogri

Ogri

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

I like the look of this one:

http://www.aliexpres..._622861057.html

Review here:

http://arpandeb.com/...ete-review.html

I was looking for something to plug USB hard drives in for wifi storage and as a media streamer for films, books, music, photo's, and if something like this can do what's needed, it will be good value, imho.

I wonder if you can write files to the hard drives (sync backups, etc?) over wifi?

At that price, I may have found a Christmas present to find out. :)

#24 zeeirish

zeeirish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

HI, i have Android Smart Network Media Player...from China.....it has OS 2.2...Kernal 2.6.32.9 Build No....20110526-1.2...it wont connect with VPN....Just keeps trying to connect.....any ideas if i could upload new firmware to upgrade to os4.0....or is it possible???

#25 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

@zeeirish

Take a look in the relevant section of Slatedroid for the processor, maybe create a new topic in this forum and post some photo's and technical data from the unit. Try not to hijack threads.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#26 phiniki

phiniki

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

The ug802 is a little tricky out of the box. For a start, one USB port means you have to purchase a USB hub that takes power. If you try a non powered one, you will not draw enough current to power a wireless keyboard
The micro SD card slot works great, but without a power button, you have to be careful not to damage the card. The only solution is to pull the power adapter out to power off. Very dodgy.

#27 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

I bought myself a Surbox from a company called Hanson Tech. Maybe I should do a review on a new thread, yes, that's what I'll do....
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#28 Lexridge

Lexridge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Have you guys heard about the G-Box Midnight? I ordered one today from amazon. The reviews I read all seem very positive. Things that look good are 4 USB ports, and the Cortex A9 w/Neon/Mali400 gfx.

http://androidtvbox....g-box-midnight/

Looks like they offer decent firmware updates too. I wonder if their source is available?
http://androidtvbox....tware-and-roms/

Edited by Lexridge, 11 December 2012 - 12:25 AM.

#29 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

I've heard about it, must admit that although the Surbox is a reasonable item, my mini-pc is getting more use along with the Apple TV. It will be great when more live streaming options come along, until then, lots of devices are doing the same thing really. Apple TV box still is the most convenient for Netflix and I suppose I can stream Netflix from five of the things currently connected to my tv, xbox, ps3, surbox, appleTV and mini-itx pc. It's just most convenient through the appleTV

#30 samu

samu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

hello all,
i'm new to the forum and i came here mostly because i'm interested on having first an android tv box and then trying to put ubuntu/debian
on that

while looking for a minix neo x5 i came looking at this

http://www.geekbuyin...ack-313081.html

which is quite interesting since it looks powerful and at the same time it has capability of getting DVB-T signal.
So basically all input to my tv would come from this device (which is good so you just need one remote to rule everything)

Anyone has tried it or is willing to try it ? shall i take a closer look to other solution and add external dongle or this is at the moment the "state of the art"
to have everything (i live in europe so no cable and i'm not interested to satellite atm) and make your tv smart ?

Many thanks
Samu

#31 Lexridge

Lexridge

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Have you guys heard about the G-Box Midnight? I ordered one today from amazon. The reviews I read all seem very positive. Things that look good are 4 USB ports, and the Cortex A9 w/Neon/Mali400 gfx.

http://androidtvbox....g-box-midnight/

Looks like they offer decent firmware updates too. I wonder if their source is available?
http://androidtvbox....tware-and-roms/

I received this unit a few days ago, and man, what a nice box!! I had also purchased two Vizio Co-Star boxes at the same time as well, but they are now going back. This G-Box Midnight is WAY better, imo. It runs XBMC nearly PERFECT, even with 1080P MKV files. I have yet to find an app on the Google Play store that is not compatible, but not saying I won't. I already ordered two more for Xmas presents for my family.

The unit comes pre-rooted, but you still need to install Superuser from the Play Store. I also had to change the vold.fstab file so the external sdcard would be the primary storage. It defaults to 2gb of internal storage. The only issue I have found so far, it runs rather warm, but I think I might add a small fan to the top of the unit. Also, there is a slight lip-sync issue which appears to be system-wide. Not just XBMC. My Vizio TV allows me to correct it, but I would rather correct it at the source. I will also try it on another tv in the next day to two, as that could even be the problem.

I have NOT tried Netflix on it, because I do not have a netflix account.

The Vizio Co-Stars (googletv) are very crippled. No root, no way to get root, and very limited apps are allowed to be installed. XBMC side loaded does not even work. It crashes on startup.

Edited by Lexridge, 16 December 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#32 1_of_many

1_of_many

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

New to this android tv.. don't see my cloned Geniatech ATV300 on the list.
Originally comes with 2.2 and I've update it to 2.3, says that it can be updated to ICS but unstable.
Combined it with Melo F10 Air Mouse and works fine.
What it lack is the compatibility to play games, which many I've installed is not playable.
Wanting to optimized it further (if possible)....

#33 stihlman

stihlman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Hi, how to root Rikomagic MK602 ?

#34 EsSa55

EsSa55

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLoughborough, UK

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

Hello

Does anyone have experience of the Justop Quadro Android TV Box?

About device:

Model:        Q1-Q

Android:     4.2.2

Baseband: v1.0rc3

Kernel:      3.3.0 ck@ck-desktop #18

Build:        A054-Q1-A31S ROOT XBMC 20131128

It is rooted but no Recovery installed.

Would really like to install different ROM as existing is pretty limited.

Anyone aware of any alternatives?

Best