Photo

New: Gemei G6 8" Dual Core - Coming Soon!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TJunky

TJunky

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

New model from Gemei coming soon. :clapping:

Gemei mini G6
8' Tablet
ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core - Amlogic-MX
Aspect ratio: 4:3

No further details yet.

http://product.pconl...mei/520453.html
http://product.pchom...ig6/370791.html
iPad2 / Ainol Novo 7Aurora / Teclast a10t / Gemei G9 /Ainol Novo 7 Fire

#2 redisalive

redisalive

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I got mine last week. Great tablet, powerful, light and great aluminum back. Non IPS but great quality. Wifi works perfectly and battery life is good. Better than my onda 711.

#3 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

I got mine last week. Great tablet, powerful, light and great aluminum back. Non IPS but great quality. Wifi works perfectly and battery life is good. Better than my onda 711.

I just got mine and I'm not happy with it :angry: , the HW is great but I kept getting your device is not compatible message. google chrome, google maps, YouTube, Netflix crashes, I have not found an Apps that works except FB. I'm not into games so maybe they work. I hope we'll have a dedicated thread for this device

#4 thedex

thedex

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I just got mine and I'm not happy with it :angry: , the HW is great but I kept getting your device is not compatible message. google chrome, google maps, YouTube, Netflix crashes, I have not found an Apps that works except FB. I'm not into games so maybe they work. I hope we'll have a dedicated thread for this device

Have you tried the "Gemei G9T xmlfiles and build.prop.zip" from the pinned Thread made by Thasselhof? Or is that with those things in place already?
I'm rather curious as i ordered two of those tablets myself and am still waiting for their delivery.

#5 JL8472

JL8472

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

I'm having the same problem device is not compatible with some key apps, bank of america, wikipedia, newegg, amazon. Does anyone have a fix for this? I am loving the tablet otherwise, excellent battery life. I know these apps work on other 8" tablets.

#6 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Have you tried the "Gemei G9T xmlfiles and build.prop.zip" from the pinned Thread made by Thasselhof? Or is that with those things in place already?
I'm rather curious as i ordered two of those tablets myself and am still waiting for their delivery.

I haven't rooted the G6 because I'm not sure if the G9T script would work. I did upgrade the firmware to V2.34.004.
it came with superuser and appinstaller. I lost angry bird and fruit ninja in the upgrade. better save them if you like them.

I will post again when I play with it some more

#7 thesouth1

thesouth1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

I haven't rooted the G6 because I'm not sure if the G9T script would work. I did upgrade the firmware to V2.34.004.
it came with superuser and appinstaller. I lost angry bird and fruit ninja in the upgrade. better save them if you like them.

I have rooted mine with the G9T_root.zip that is in the other thread (here near the bottom of the page)and I can confirm it works on our G6's. Where did you get the firmware? I have been looking over google for some type of rom but am afraid to try anything too drastic.

Edit: Just visited the Gemei site, I see the FW Update.

Edited by thesouth1, 29 October 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#8 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

movie players that do not work, YouTube, Tubemate, Netflix, Google Play Movies & TV, Youtube on browser work
Terminal Emulator does not work either. I'm not into games but angry birds work..more later

#9 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Anybody knows how the USB keyboard supposed to work with 1 USB port? I think you need a USB host port.
nothing happens when I plug in a USB ketboard

#10 thesouth1

thesouth1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

After you update the Firmware, does your battery icon still work? Mine doesn't anymore.

#11 thesouth1

thesouth1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Anybody knows how the USB keyboard supposed to work with 1 USB port? I think you need a USB host port.
nothing happens when I plug in a USB ketboard

The 1 USB port you have is a Host port.

#12 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I have rooted mine with the G9T_root.zip that is in the other thread (here near the bottom of the page)and I can confirm it works on our G6's. Where did you get the firmware? I have been looking over google for some type of rom but am afraid to try anything too drastic.

Edit: Just visited the Gemei site, I see the FW Update.

looks like the new firmware is already rooted. i have root access without doing anything. root explorer is also included in the upgrade

#13 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

The 1 USB port you have is a Host port.

nothing happens when I plug in a memory stick. no pop ups like when you plug in a laptop.
is there a setting for USB?

#14 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

After you update the Firmware, does your battery icon still work? Mine doesn't anymore.

it works but I am using Apex launcher might have something to do with that

#15 thesouth1

thesouth1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

nothing happens when I plug in a memory stick. no pop ups like when you plug in a laptop.
is there a setting for USB?

There is a USB setting. Go to settings/devloper options/ USB debugging.
That is the only setting I know of in ICS for USB. I havent tried to use mine for anything else as of yet, but I will test something mine and see how it works.

Edit:
Ok. I just got schooled on the "OTG"(On The Go)USB Port. The jist of it is that a normal adapter will not do the trick. You have to have a OTG cable.
The reason for this is normal USB has 4 pins and the mini end on your tablet has 5 pins. The 5th pin has to reach ground to signal to the device to go into HOST mode. Without the 5th pin grounding, anything you plug in will not work. So, A OTG cable has the pin grounded underneath the sheathing on the mini end therefore signaling the device to host.
Hope this helps. :pardon:

Edited by thesouth1, 30 October 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#16 thesouth1

thesouth1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

it works but I am using Apex launcher might have something to do with that

looks like the new firmware is already rooted. i have root access without doing anything. root explorer is also included in the upgrade

I figured out the new FW was rooted, there was a "Details/changelog" on the Gemei site. It also said that there was a "fix for the battery icon 100%" But it seems to have broken mine lol as now it stays at 100%.

Maybe we can ask for some help, or get our own G6 thread going. I am all new to the world of android, and this is my first tablet. But I have learned a lot in the past few weeks. Thanks guys!

#17 zardozk

zardozk

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

There is a USB setting. Go to settings/devloper options/ USB debugging.
That is the only setting I know of in ICS for USB. I havent tried to use mine for anything else as of yet, but I will test something mine and see how it works.

Edit:
Ok. I just got schooled on the "OTG"(On The Go)USB Port. The jist of it is that a normal adapter will not do the trick. You have to have a OTG cable.
The reason for this is normal USB has 4 pins and the mini end on your tablet has 5 pins. The 5th pin has to reach ground to signal to the device to go into HOST mode. Without the 5th pin grounding, anything you plug in will not work. So, A OTG cable has the pin grounded underneath the sheathing on the mini end therefore signaling the device to host.
Hope this helps. :pardon:

That's good information, i have ordered a micro usb to 4 pin female usb adapter. I'll check the pin on that one.
this is my first android device too. I'm from the IOS camp but the prices on these are irresistible :yahoo:

#18 Fandr0id

Fandr0id

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

I figured out the new FW was rooted, there was a "Details/changelog" on the Gemei site. It also said that there was a "fix for the battery icon 100%" But it seems to have broken mine lol as now it stays at 100%.

Have a look at my thread. I solved the battery issue.

#19 thesouth1

thesouth1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

I tried the solution mentioned in that thread to no avail. When I put in the second command, it says that it cannot make the file/ no such file exists.

I re installed the previous firmware and it fixed it, but when I go back to the newest one it stays at 100%. So, without going back to a previous firmware, I guess I'll be stuck with the issue till they release a new one. I tried a "Battery Calibration" app but that did not do anything for it either. I looked around google for quite a while but most solutions point back to your thread. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Today I reverted back to the old firmware. The battery stayed at 100% so I tried this fix again, and when I hit enter after step 4 the battery icon zeroed out. I rebooted the tablet and now it is charging from 0% and going up. I believe this may do it this time. I cannot figure out why it didnt work on the newer firmware. May test again later, but do not feel like reinstalling everything again for the 4th time lol. Thanks!

Edited by thesouth1, 02 November 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#20 thedex

thedex

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Heya again.

I finally got my Gemei G6 and installed the newest firmware, the "Gemei G9T xmlfiles and build.prop.zip" from the other thread.

After that i found some more improvements that can be made.
I changed the build.prop: android version from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, changed the mode from developer to user ( so that the red borders vanish ) and changed the wifi search time from 60 to 120 to save some battery.

Also i found out that the device is missing the shared google maps jar and some other jars that are normally included in the google apps package.

Downloading and installing the complete google apps ( for ics ) from http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/Google_Apps did fix that.
I installed them simply by unzipping the zip file onto the sdcard and copying it into root with the ES File Explorer.
That made one of the apps i programmed visible in the store again. Don't know what other apps are affected.

Sadly Google Music and Youtube still don't work. I can't seem to find the 4.0.8 Version of Youtube that supposedly works.