Photo

New Hyundai Rock X tablet! 8 inch, IPS, 1024x768 and JELLY BEAN!!!

• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

#1 Shinshin

Shinshin

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

Hi,

I was browsing the hyundai digital web site and found that they made another interesting tablet.
The new Rock X.
It is part of a series of tablets named X and this is the first one (via chinatablets.info)

More info and photos here (official website).

Here are the specs:
Posted Image

Edited by Shinshin, 08 August 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#2 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Interesting thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Recommended devices shown in Green
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Phones (current): Samsung Galaxy S2 JB 4.1
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#3 Risky The Dwarf

Risky The Dwarf

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I purchased a used Hyundai S800 tablet some months ago.

Be warned that Hyundai tablets are made by Chinese tablet manufacturer who purchased the licensing rights to the Hyundai name. They are not Hyundai. They appear only to be interested in dealing with the Chinese market.

I have found identical tablets to the S800 that are branded Mei Ying and Pipo.

#4 boofman

boofman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

Seems like a good tablet, but it has only 4400mah and it has dual core so I doubt how long the battery life is..if they can somehow bump the batteries to about 7000mah and keep it below USD 170 I may seriously consider getting one..priced any higher and it will be with the likes of 9.7 inchers and some 10.1 inchers Rk3066, plus the N7 as well..

#5 sere83

sere83

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Seems like a good tablet, but it has only 4400mah and it has dual core so I doubt how long the battery life is..if they can somehow bump the batteries to about 7000mah and keep it below USD 170 I may seriously consider getting one..priced any higher and it will be with the likes of 9.7 inchers and some 10.1 inchers Rk3066, plus the N7 as well..

Well 4400mah for a RK3066 under 10 inches is actually very good. All the other 7/8 inch RK3066 devices have sub 4000mah batteries. This also has a slightly low (although not too low) res screen (it still has a higher PPI than 1280x800 10 inch displays) so actually should give ok battery performance. What is amazing though is this is 8.5mm thin! That is ridiculously thin. They also have another 7 inch tablet called the HOLD X...

http://www.hyundai-d...duct.asp?ID=153

I really want to see a review of this, very interesting tablet.

Edited by sere83, 29 August 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#6 Beurk

Beurk

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hi,

I ordered one to replace my Apad M7009 (Herotab C8 clone), I hope the IPS screen is low power consumption, that will improve battery life. There's a chinese review here with many benchmarks.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Apad M7009 Rubberband V2.1.1

#7 sere83

sere83

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

Yeah saw this...was just about to post, as suspected the benches are a bit higher probably due to the slightly lower res screen.

The last page lists 4hrs battery for 720p video playback at 1/2 screen brightness. Was kind of hoping for a bit more but not too a complete disaster I suppose...Design looks nice, just wish these Chinese companies would stop labeling all the ports, it's obvious what they are!

Edited by sere83, 01 September 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#8 kunle

kunle

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I ordered one to replace my Apad M7009 (Herotab C8 clone), I hope the IPS screen is low power consumption, that will improve battery life. There's a chinese review here with many benchmarks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought 3 units myself, but i noticed from the review that it came loaded with android 4.0? :angry:
The reason why i ordered the tablet in the first place is because it was advertised as coming loaded with android 4.1 :angry:
Honestly I'm very angry right now! :angry:

#9 kunle

kunle

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

I just watched the unboxing video

It came loaded with android 4.0!

This is one of the reasons why Chinese companies are not taken seriously, they always advertise
features that cannot deliver.
this is very annoying, does anyone know how i can send my grievance to the company?

#10 Risky The Dwarf

Risky The Dwarf

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

I just watched the unboxing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLlPeNf98fE

It came loaded with android 4.0!

This is one of the reasons why Chinese companies are not taken seriously, they always advertise
features that cannot deliver.
this is very annoying, does anyone know how i can send my grievance to the company?

Here's the email: service@hyundai-digital.cn

They blocked me after I merely asked them for English instructions. :nea:

#11 kunle

kunle

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

Here's the email: service@hyundai-digital.cn

They blocked me after I merely asked them for English instructions. :nea:

I've sent them an email, let's wait and see whether they will reply.

#12 mitsos68

mitsos68

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Hello, any updates from people who bought Rock X? I think I am seriously interested in this tablet.
Any issues?
Who is the most reputable dealer? Either in HK, China or EU.

#13 sas_sas

sas_sas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:10 AM

Hi folks,

I also purchased and received a Rock X a couple of days ago.
I was dreaming to have tablet with OS 4.1 JB with full functions but, it came w/ ICS 4.0.4..
I felt I am cheated.. They announced so but, i am sure they could not find smooth operation w/ JB os..

Other than this, It is quite a good tablet.
It is light, smaller and impressive due to its IPS screen.. Plus, its effective Wi-fi range is longer than other many Chinese Tablets..

I used to own the Sanei N83 Deluxe before w/ custom rom of AOKP 4.0.4 and it was okay but suffered its short range wi-fi..

Trying to find what is the buttons pressing combination to enter CWM recovery mode..
Anyone knows ??

Edited;
It is easy to enter download mod but I still could not reach at CWM..

Let's share info here about HOW TOs
- rooting/ RESOLVED....
- replacing stock recovery w/ a proper one..

Edited by sas_sas, 14 September 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#14 sas_sas

sas_sas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi folks,

I also purchased and received a Rock X a couple of days ago.
I was dreaming to have tablet with OS 4.1 JB with full functions but, it came w/ ICS 4.0.4..
I felt I am cheated.. They announced so but, i am sure they could not find smooth operation w/ JB os..

After I contacted to the seller They provided me 4.1 update package..

I am a little worried. if I can not get what I hoped from 4.1 after flashing I need to return to 4.0.4 but, I am missing this stock rom img.

asap I obtain this I will go ahead.
But Seller has no intention to do that.

The producers, the both Chinese Hyundai-digital and Korean Toptech have no support for this tablet yet...

Edited by sas_sas, 14 September 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#15 entmetalman

entmetalman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:49 AM

I have one of these Rock X and have a few screen issues, it also has ics only. Can any other owners coment on screen brightness and if there is any horizontal shadow/light across the screen for solid objects like th notification box when poped up. Mine has this and sometimes it is worse than other times. Also I got a small 2mm light spot on the screen, it is most anoying when scrolling web page.
Also strangly the device switches on from sleep sometimes without cause. I'm trying to resolve the issues with the seller but so far they are quite, and I already gave feedback..

Please report if your screen has the shadow issues, I need to know if it is normal for this device.

Thanks

#16 kunle

kunle

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

:angry: Still waiting for mine!
Got stuck in customs

#17 sas_sas

sas_sas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have nothing wrong with screen.
But I have the wake up issue.
It is strange I am very familiar Android OS all versions and many apps too.
I have never had such issue. I have researched and I found Some have had such issue but mostly in old versions.
Some apps or OS itself cause this bug..
I wonder if I can find the solution.

I do not know how but, wake up issue is no more happening..

Edited by sas_sas, 16 September 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#18 entmetalman

entmetalman

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

Has anyone had any luck ith communication with Hyundai-Digital: service@hyundai-digital.cn
I've sent two polite messages asking about screen problems I have over about a week and had no response to either. The adress is on the warranty card, if anyone know a different adress can they post it.
Also I'd warn people from using SXV Technology on aliexpress as they are also ignoring me, and that's where I got the Rock X.
Maybe its because I am all the way out in Australia, but from Hyundai I expected a better response..

I'll post an update ifanything happens but I'm not expecting much..

#19 callevelig

callevelig

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hi!

Just got one and it´s Android 4.0.4

Got issues with the touch screen on a small part that feels to be related to the multi touch function.
I´ve also got wake up issues... it remains off until you plug in the power or a "live" usb
The most annoying thing tough is the sound quality. It is extremely poor!

Any suggestions?

/Carl

#20 sas_sas

sas_sas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hi!

Just got one and it´s Android 4.0.4

Got issues with the touch screen on a small part that feels to be related to the multi touch function.
I´ve also got wake up issues... it remains off until you plug in the power or a "live" usb
The most annoying thing tough is the sound quality. It is extremely poor!

Any suggestions?

/Carl

Hyundai-digital is not responding my mails too...

Wake up issue;
I tested my rock x by removing the TF card and observed no wake up issue.
You, who have such case, may check the same way and inform us if happens the same..

v4.0.4 OS
I purchased from SXV AE seller. Opened dispute. They send the v4.1 file to me. I asked also the existing/ stock OS v4.0.4 just in case to return. But they say they are unable.. Continued file a claim..

I do not want to take risk to flash v4.1 w/o having stock 4.0.4.

If anyone can find 4.0.4 file for rock x let's share here.
I am ready to share the 4.1 JB file in my hand if anyone wants to flash and upgrade..

Edited by sas_sas, 20 September 2012 - 05:40 AM.