OS Android 4.0.X (mine came with 4.0.4)
Chipset TCC 8925
Processor Frequency 800MHZ
RAM DDR III 512MB
Internal Memory 4GB flash memory
Memory Card Type Supports USB flash drive up to 32GB
Expansion Slot USB
Audio Format AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, QCP, MP3, WMA, WAV, MIDI, M4A
Video Format WMV, ASF, MP4, 3GP, 3G2M4V, AVI, MJPEG, RV10, DivX, VC-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, 1280*720P HD 30 fps, 1080P, 720*480 D1 30fps
Output Resolution 1080P
Picture Formats JPEG,BMP,PNG,GIF
Subtitle Formats SubRip [.srt]
OS Language German, English, Spanish, French, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Finnish, Swiss, Filipino, Vietnamese, Turkish,Greek, Bulgarian, Russian, Ukrainian, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
Video Interface HDMI
Audio Interface HDMI
Other Interface USB Host / Mini USB OTG
Power Supply mini USB
Additional Features WiFi 802.11 b/g/n complaint; supports up to 2160p resolution

notes:
1 - The device is not rooted ( i have posted below how to root it)
2 - The Market crashed all the time (i have posted how to fix this issue)
3 - I have tested the device with a 2TB hd connected and it works perfect.
4 - Connected a usb hub and works perfect
5 - Connected a usb wireless mouse and works perfect.
6 - Bluetooth external dongle its not supported
7 - 3g external dongle is not supported
8 - Netflix works ok ( the android application SUCKS but it works)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
ROOT TUTORIAL And Market fix:

How to root the CX-01 and how to fix the market issue.

rooting is very simple, note: im using windows xp.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.sendspace.com/file/nshpmj

1 - Uncompressed the cx-01.zip file into your pc.
2 - Connect the cx-01 into your pc. Wait some minutes until it finishes to "boot". In the pc will show you that will need to install a driver.
3 - When the installation driver screen appears, select advanced option to select the folder driver from the file that you have already uncompressed it.
4 - when finished installed the driver go to the folder Root-Script
5 - run Root-Script.bat

Root-Script.bat
a - Select option 1 and verify the connection if OK
b- Select option 2 and check if your device can be rooted (with this script)
c - if its ok select option 3 when finished the CX-01 will be rebooted.

Fix Market issue:
1 - Rename the file Google_Play_3.5.15.apk that is already provided in the ZIP into vending.apk
2 - copy vending.apk file into /system/app/
3 - Then install it.

note: To copy this you need the es explorer configured as root. then you will be able to copy it.

reboot the device an you will have it rooted and with the market fixed. Update all your applications.

I dont know yet but i may be doing a script that fixes some bugs and roots the tablet all in one click or something like that, but that takes time and work. also im still waiting the original rom so i can tweak it better i don't want brick the cx-01. Next quick update will be full market. but untill i dont get a full signed firmware. i will not be working on any thing that can brick the tablet.

Good luck

#3 ·
source: cx-01 | CNXSoft - Embedded Software Development

Yesterday, we got Linux kernel 3.0.8 source code from Telechips, as well as some files related to Android 4.0 (Webkit + OMX). Today, I've had a look at the kernel source code and found a few very interesting things.

Read more: cx-01 | CNXSoft - Embedded Software Development

First let's get the code from github:

Good news! The code for the latest Telechips TCC892X is present in arch/arm/mach-tcc892x, and there is support for 3 types of boards:

board-m805_892x - TCC8923 M805 board
board-tcc8920 - TCC8920 evaluation board
board-tcc8920st - TCC8920 STB evaluation board

TCC8920 STB evaluation board appears to be relevant to products such as Diyomate A6, but if it's also used for TCC8925 HDMI Dongle such as CX-01 mini PC, Zero Devices Z900 or ValuePlus TizzBird N1.

Now let's have a look at the default config directory for arm (arch/arm/configs):

ls | grep tcc89
tcc8920st_defconfig
tcc8920st_hdb892s_defconfig
tcc8925st_dongle_defconfig
tcc8925st_donglehs_defconfig
tcc8925st_hdb892f_defconfig
tcc8925st_isdbt_module_defconfig
tcc892x_defconfig
Nice! tcc8925st_dongle_defconfig and tcc8925st_donglehs_defconfig look particularly interesting!

A quick comparison shows that the only difference is that tcc8925st_donglehs_defconfig sets CONFIG_HDMI_DONGLE_CLOCK_HIGH_SPEED=y.

Looking further in the source code:
#define TCC_CPU_FREQ_HIGH_SPEED 812500
#define TCC_CPU_FREQ_NORMAL_SPEED 716500
So tcc8925st_dongle_defconfig configuration file sets TCC8925 to run at 716.5 MHz and tcc8925st_donglehs_defconfig to 812.5 MHz.

The kernel configuration enables the Android stuff, so it's probably the kernel we've got in the device running Android. Let's try to build the kernel with TCC8925 clocked at 812.5 Mhz (High Speed config) assuming you've got the ARM toolchain already installed (run apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf in Ubuntu, if you don't):

make ARCH=arm tcc8925st_donglehs_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j2 uImage
Image Name: Linux-3.0.8+
Created: Wed Jul 18 20:22:07 2012
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 3136392 Bytes = 3062.88 kB = 2.99 MB
Load Address: 10008000
Entry Point: 10008000
Image arch/arm/boot/uImage is ready
Good! It can build! We now have got the kernel (zImage and uImage) in arch/arm/boot. Let's build the kernel modules:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j2 uImage INSTALL_MOD_PATH=build_modules modules
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j2 uImage INSTALL_MOD_PATH=build_modules
modules_install
The kernel modules are located in build_modules directory. There are only 2 kernel modules: gspca_main.ko (video driver) and scsi_wait_scan.ko.

I cannot give it a try now, as I haven't received the hardware yet. The other thing I would like to get before hacking CX-01 mini PC is a recovery firmware, and the eventual tools to recover the device when something bad happens. I've contacted PandaWill to try to get it. The bootloader code would also be nice, but not an absolute must. However, I believe it's unlikely we'll get the bootloader source code since Telechips does not appear to have released it for the older versions of its TCC processors.

#4 ·
Telechips Releases Linux Kernel 3.0.8 and Android ICS Source Code

lechips has just uploaded the GPL source code for kernel 3.0.8 and Android 4.0 to the open source section of their website.

If downloading from telechips website is too slow, you can also try alternate downloads (Thanks Gabe!):

Kernel-3.0.8.tar.gz linux files - Kernel-3.0.8.tar.gz - Minus
Ics.tar.gz linux files - Ics.tar.gz - Minus

I've also created 2 repositories in github:

telechips-linux - Linux kernel source code https://github.com/cnxsoft/telechips-linux
telechips-android - Android platform open source code (webkit + OpenMAX source code) https://github.com/cnxsoft/telechips-android

It haven't looked into the source code in details yet, but hopefully, this will allow developers to customize the firmware running on Telechips TCC8925 based mini PCs such as CX-01 mini Android TV Box or Zero Devices Z900.

Read more: Telechips Releases Linux Kernel 3.0.8 and Android ICS Source Code | CNXSoft - Embedded Software Development

#5 ·
Finally we got the original firmware.

http://www.pandawillforum.com/soft/ROM%20for%20android%20TV%20CX-01.rar

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that there are similar devices like the CX-01 like c77 or other basically all are the same but the sometime have some different issues in the firmware. i was told in some devices you can use adb because usb debug is not enable and you cant access to the .development menu due it is not shown.

so to show the development settings menu install a terminal emulator en the device and type the following line. it will bring up the development menu.

Code:

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings

there in that menu enable the USB debub option and you are ready to flash the device.

#6 ·
Tweak patch. rom version - CX1-V1.0-v12.05_r1-4096-8189-en

1 - Stable Android Market

2 - build.prop Tweaks
* Full Market
* GPU try to handle U
* Max events UI can handle in 1s
* Increase touch responsiveness
* Dalvik Tweak
* TCP optimizing settings
* OOM Settings
* OOM Adjustments

3 - Ads Blocks
4 - " Google blocking apps writing to SD cards" (fix)

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ds7x7u

How to install:

1 - Root the cx-01
2 - uncompress the cx-01 tewakfix.zip
3 - connect the cx-01 to the pc and wait some minutes untill is finished to boot.
4 - run the patch.bat file
5 - reboot

That´s all

#7 ·
This has not much updates. i have updated the build.prop to make it feels smother. also fixed the wide of the image, now you can see perfect the border of it.

1 - Stable Android Market

2 - build.prop Tweaks
* Full Market
* GPU try to handle U
* Max events UI can handle in 1s
* Increase touch responsiveness
* Dalvik Tweak updated Values
* TCP optimizing settings
* Screen Wide fix
* Other little tweaks.

3 - Ads Blocks
4 - " Google blocking apps writing to SD cards" (fix)

Download: http://www.4shared.com/zip/-dtkJk4p/...ak_Fix_02.html

How to install:

1 - Root the cx-01
2 - un compress the cx-01CX-01 Tatubias Tweak Fix 0.2
3 - connect the cx-01 to the PC and wait some minutes until is finished to boot.
4 - run the patch.bat file
5 - reboot

That´s all

#9 ·
Pandawill finally managed to release CX-01 firmware (234 MB) about a week ago. This firmware can be used for devices with 4 or 8 GB flash memory (2 separate directories). You only need to update the firmware if your device has some serious problems, or if CX-01 gets a proper firmware update (we can always dream…).

download rom: http://www.pandawillforum.com/soft/ROM%20for%20android%20TV%20CX-01.rar

Once you've downloaded ROM for android TV CX-01.rar in a Windows PC, extract it and enter ROM for android TV CX-01 directory. You'll find 1 file and 1 directory:

V1.0-4096-8189_en - Directory for 4GB firmware
V1.0-8192-8189_en - Directory for 4GB firmware
FWDN_8923.zip - Telechips tools to burn the firmware to flash

Extract FWDN_8923.zip, go to vtcdrv directory and install the driver corresponding to your operating system.

Now click on FWDN_V7_v2.22.exe, click on …, and select one of the 3 files in V1.0-4096-8189_en then click on add file. Repeat until you've added the 3 files for the 4GB firmware:

CX1-V1.0-4096-8189_en.rom - MTD
lk.rom - BOOT
NAND Data.fai - NAND Data

Now connect the mini USB to USB cable to your computer (but not to the CX-01 just yet), press the Fn key and insert the mini USB cable into the CX-01, until it is detected by Windows and complete the driver installation. Once this is done, the Area Map section you show the NAND Data and MTD partitions. Click on the Start button to start flashing the new firmware to the device.

FWDN V7 During CX-01 Firmware Flashing

Once you see "Download is complete! (1st)" the update is complete. This is the log for the update:
============================================
FWDN V7 -- v2.22
============================================

[DEBUG] CFwdnPort::Check_VtcUsbPortChange: \\?\usb#vid_140e&pid_b086#5&24f64713&0&1#{db6585b8-0409-4ee6-9636-e595901c59ca} is pluged.
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::DeviceArrivalEvent: Device Arrival Event (dev=0)
Download Session - Start!
Device Init - Start!
Device Init - Complete! - (0sec 17)
Device's SerialNumber : F1002059A00841DC120713084548063B
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::OnDownloadDefault: check=1 filepath=F:\cnxsoft\cx-01\V1.0-4096-8189_en\lk.rom filesize=333KB type=0
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::OnDownloadDefault: check=1 filepath=F:\cnxsoft\cx-01\V1.0-4096-8189_en\CX1-V1.0-4096-8189_en.rom filesize=233MB type=4
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::Verify_ImageFile: [HEADER] : Size=48 CRC=0x3388635F
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::OnDownloadDefault: check=1 filepath=F:\cnxsoft\cx-01\V1.0-4096-8189_en\NAND Data.fai filesize=1104KB type=5
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::Verify_ImageFile: [HEADER] : Size=96 CRC=0xD22A5DC4
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::Verify_ImageFile: Image Version : TCC FAT IMG V0.1
[DEBUG] CFwdnDownload::Verify_ImageFile: DISKSIZE = 0x85C00000
Write BOOT - Start!
Write BOOT - Complete! - (2sec 46)
"MTD" AREA Write - Start!
"MTD" AREA Write - Complete! - (4min 33sec 29)
"NAND Data" AREA Write - Start!
"NAND Data" AREA Write - Complete! - (2sec 26)
Check CRC (F:\cnxsoft\cx-01\V1.0-4096-8189_en\CX1-V1.0-4096-8189_en.rom) - Start!
Check CRC - Complete! - (52sec 73)
Check CRC (F:\cnxsoft\cx-01\V1.0-4096-8189_en\NAND Data.fai) - Start!
Check CRC - Complete! - (0sec 12)
Download Session - Ending…
Download Session - End!
#################### Download is complete! (1st) ####################

This method should also work for other Telechips device by simply using the corresponding firmware files and most likely a slightly different way to enter flash mode.

SOURCE: http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/08/16/how-to-upgrade-firmware-for-cx-01-mini-pc/#ixzz23jIwIT5s

#10 ·
ALWAYS DO BACK UP OF YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE INSTALLING ANY PATCH (BETA SCRIPT)

ok here it is the Tatubias tweak 0.4 beta for the CX-01 device.

Tweak patch. for rom version - CX1-V1.0-v12.05_r1-4096-8189-en

1 - Stable Android Market.

2 - build.prop Tweaks.
* Full Market.
* Improve touch responsiveness through Hardware Rendering.
* GPU try to handle User interface.
* Some other video performances added.
* Max events UI can handle in 1s set to 240.
* Increase "touch" responsiveness.
* Dalvik Tweak updated Values 15 August.
* Screen Wide fix (images used to get out from the tv screen from the side (fixed)).
* Other little tweaks.
* Enhance JPG Quality.
* Interface Set to English.
* Disable logcat - Android Logger.
* Disable Extended JNI Checks.
* Improve performance in video playback and streaming.
* Added Googles DNS.
* Improve Scrolling Responsiveness.
* Bootanimation added.

3 - Ads Block.
4 - "Google blocking apps writing to SD cards" (fix).
5 - Installs any apk that is inside the apk directory (dont put apks with Spaces in their name edit them first).
6 - Instalation menu options and updates.
7 - Dalvik cache Cleaning.
8 - Framwork tweak (mouse pointer Resize 50% smaller Than original).

Download:http://www.4shared.com/zip/hN0TUXhc/CX-01_Tatubias_Tweak_Fix_04.html

How to install:

1 - Root the cx-01
2 - un compress the cx-01CX-01 Tatubias Tweak Fix 0.4
3 - copy any apk that you want to auto install alone into the apk directory
4 - connect the cx-01 to the PC and wait some minutes until is finished to boot.
5 - run the patch.bat file
6 - reboot

That´s all

#46 ·
file at 4shared doesnt exist
ALWAYS DO BACK UP OF YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE INSTALLING ANY PATCH (BETA SCRIPT)

ok here it is the Tatubias tweak 0.4 beta for the CX-01 device.

Tweak patch. for rom version - CX1-V1.0-v12.05_r1-4096-8189-en

1 - Stable Android Market.

2 - build.prop Tweaks.
* Full Market.
* Improve touch responsiveness through Hardware Rendering.
* GPU try to handle User interface.
* Some other video performances added.
* Max events UI can handle in 1s set to 240.
* Increase "touch" responsiveness.
* Dalvik Tweak updated Values 15 August.
* Screen Wide fix (images used to get out from the tv screen from the side (fixed)).
* Other little tweaks.
* Enhance JPG Quality.
* Interface Set to English.
* Disable logcat - Android Logger.
* Disable Extended JNI Checks.
* Improve performance in video playback and streaming.
* Added Googles DNS.
* Improve Scrolling Responsiveness.
* Bootanimation added.

3 - Ads Block.
4 - "Google blocking apps writing to SD cards" (fix).
5 - Installs any apk that is inside the apk directory (dont put apks with Spaces in their name edit them first).
6 - Instalation menu options and updates.
7 - Dalvik cache Cleaning.
8 - Framwork tweak (mouse pointer Resize 50% smaller Than original).

Download:http://please use an alternate file host/zip/hN0TUXhc/CX-01_Tatubias_Tweak_Fix_04.html

How to install:

1 - Root the cx-01
2 - un compress the cx-01CX-01 Tatubias Tweak Fix 0.4
3 - copy any apk that you want to auto install alone into the apk directory
4 - connect the cx-01 to the PC and wait some minutes until is finished to boot.
5 - run the patch.bat file
6 - reboot

That´s all

#11 ·
sweet and thanks again for the help , I hope to get my google cloud stick unbricked . so i can install this new firmware on it

#12 ·
Hi can you tell me were any unused ports or extra pin out such as spare usb found on the board?

Secondly I'm recieving this as seller mis described the item, I read about the OTG usb and wonder if either micro usb otg hub with micro sd or usb flash would boot from either usb port.

Or is the boot loader locked to boot nand flash only?

Reason I ask is running arm linux on itubuntu on a 16gb card perhaps?

Failing that you could run complete linux from market place-but this wasn't what I realy wanted

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Root with upgrade CX-01 r4 work perfectly with CABLETECH ANDROID DONGLE A5 Cortex TCC8925.

<snip>
That drivers for TCC8925 work only with WINDOWS XP. VISTA/7 doesnt work,

So waiting for new release.

Thanx and best Regards

Paul
Witam
Mam prośbę czy mógłbyś kolego opisać krok po kroku jak zrobiłeś uptade cabletech'a?
Postępuję zgodnie z powyższą instrukcją ale cabletech nie ma przycisku Fn i xpek go nie rozpoznaje i nie instaluje sterowników.
Proszę o pomoc
Z góry dzięki
Pozdrawiam.

Moderator edit: Please use English language when posting replies. Thank you.

Google translated:

Hello
I have a request could you describe mate step by step how you did Uptade cabletech'a?
Follow the above instructions but CABLETECH no xpek the Fn button and it does not recognize and does not install the drivers.
Please help
Thanks in advance
Yours.

//edit

#22 ·
I bought the TVStik from the Geek.com (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ANDROID-TV-STIK). I have since updated the ROM to the one mentioned earlier in this thread (version V1.0-4096-8189_en). The OS in the new ROM is the same as the one the TVStik came with (4.0.4) but the ROM itself is a older version. I would like to go back to the ROM that the device came with. Would anyone happen to have this ROM available?
I flashed the ROM to be able to root the device but turns out that this ROM is also not rooted. I would like to install VNC server on my device but no luck so far.

Thanks for any help.

#28 ·
Ok so my stick won't take this firmware for some reason. Frustrating. Is there contact details for someone who i can talk to about this?

Also as a side note I've created an all-encompassing thread on this model over at XDA Dev here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2105279

When I follow the instructions to upgrade it looks like it's working, the device restarts into the upload screen, looks like it completes, but when it reboots it ends up the same version with no changes. I can load the stick into it's bootloader. I can wipe it via ADB. ADB won't allow me to load the Update.zip as it's missing the android-info.txt or android-product.txt :/

#29 ·
I manage to update mine but it's still 4.0.4
Before launching the upgrade in the about I got
Model Number : TCC8925_HDMI_DONGLE
Android Version 4.0.4
Baseband Version : Unknown
Kernel version : 3.0.8-tcc sunny@bogondroid #154 Mon Oct 8 10:53:30 CST 2012
Build number full_tcc8920st_emmc-userdebug 4.0.4 IMM76D eng.sunny.20121008.105834 test-keys

After upgrade
Model Number : ANDROID_HDMI_DONGLE
Android Version 4.0.4
Baseband Version : Unknown
Kernel version : 3.0.8-tcc root@android #364 Fri Nov 16 20:51:49 CST 2012
Build number Android-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D IMM76D eng.root.20121128.105154

So the new firmware seems to be newer but I can't see any news on this firmware

I also tried to change some stuff in the zip and sign it again but I didn't manage to update

BTW this is the Stick that I have
http://plute.en.alibaba.com/product/688685557-214176362/Android_TV_Stick_Support_YOUTUBE_SKYPE_MSN_FACEBOOK_GOOGLE_PLAYSTORE_TWITTER_ANGRY_BIRDS.html
it's seems to be the real manufacterer of what you call cabletech

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Powerkill - I'm chasing down the vendor on Skype, maybe I can get out of them a different version (or at least one that works for my stick). Funnily enough they also make the CX-01 which looks to be exactly the same except different outer casing and a Fn button.

Tempted to install the CX-01 ROM onto there with the flash tool.

edit: Compared the specs of the 2 and they look identical. I'm going to go for it. Will report back.

#31 ·
Here's where I'm at. Can't flash CX-01 firmware, FWDN just will not detect this device. Can't flash anything. Put it into fastboot to at least flash the boot.img that I had. Bricked. Won't get out of fastboot screen. Contact Plute directly via Skype, although friendly and trying to help, supposedly there are too many variations in the hardware they distribute and can't supply firmware.

If anyone here could possible generate a recovery.img from their stick for me to flash, at least give it one last try, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/16/complete-guide-how-to-fully-back-up-and-restore-your-android-phone-using-nandroid-backup-and-clockworkmod-rom-manager/

Above shows you how to generate a Nandroid backup. If you could please do that for me I'd appreciate it. Just want to give it one last go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.