How to fix HDMI out sound stutter

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

Have you got HDMI sound stutter? So did I. I tried every single ROM out there, and no matter what I tried, the stutter remained.
Then I discovered something strange, If I kept my finger on the Touchscreen, the sound stutter would not happen. So I had a
theory. When a finger is on the touchscreen, the CPU speed is increased to process touches. To test this, I downloaded CPU tuner
and set the Minimum frequency to 1320, and max to 1320 (constant CPU speed). This has gotten rid of the sound stutter issue!

Let me know if it works for you guys.

Edited by Andrew Lee, 06 August 2012 - 05:39 AM.

#2 xiaotuo

xiaotuo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationChina / Indonesia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Interesting 'cause I have never had that issue. No matter which ROM I use the HDMI works perfectly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Hyundai T7s
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
Ainol NOVO7 极光II

Posted Image

#3 kamoon

kamoon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

Did not work for me with a LG television.

Also, dragging a finger on the screen did not help with sound stutter.

Edited by kamoon, 06 August 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#4 amnepoh

amnepoh

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Did not work for me with a LG television.

Also, dragging a finger on the screen did not help with sound stutter.

Confirm (LG TV).

#5 Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Confirm (LG TV).

I was using Dual Display mode too.. are you guys using dual display?

#6 kamoon

kamoon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

I was using Dual Display mode too.. are you guys using dual display?

I tested with and without dual display. No difference.

#7 Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:15 AM

Hmm I'm also using the double stuff rom. Also make sure you change the "Screen on" profile in CPU Tuner and save it.

#8 Andrew Chan

Andrew Chan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

I managed to play video connecting to TV via HDMI without choppy audio by using QQ Player, downlaoded from google play store.

Initiately I tried using MX player, having choppy audio.

running 0727 rom

#9 okanb

okanb

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

hi,

i am using the most recent aggro(0730 e) rom and got some problems with audio.
when tablet connected to tv via hdmi and i play movies on mxplayer, sound periodically goes on and off. there is no problem if tablet is not connected to tv.
haven't tried other players, other roms or other cables yet. anyone with same problem?

#10 Andrew Lee

Andrew Lee

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

Just realized this fix is temporary. Stutter returned after about 5 minutes of playback for me :(

#11 Andrew Chan

Andrew Chan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

I forgo the dual display with 0727 rom, switching back to 0705. No choppy audio whatsoever with any player, be it MX or QQ. I conclude the audio/video playing quality has got to do with the rom installed too...

#12 noohspam

noohspam

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

I've had similar symptoms with my Aurora II, but I was able to get around the problem, somewhat, at least with my tablet; I apologize if a similar solution\observation has been posted elsewhere in the forums:

Here are the setup details and symptoms, BTW this was tested with the stock 705 rom and the stock Movie Player, but I believe I had similar results with the Pat MOss v24 rom with Feiyu kernel and the stock Movie Player (this latter is incorrect see my later posts for more detailed results with the Pat Moss v24 rom and Feiyu kernel; the below results really only are applicable to the stock 705 rom and Movie Player):

1)
Setup:
- HDMI connection between the tablet and a 46" Samsung LCD TV\monitor
- AC charger for the tablet plugged into the DC jack of the tablet
- 7 port USB 2.0 hub plugged into the usb port on the tablet, the hub is powered, so one end of the AC adapter is plugged into the mains and the other end into the hub itself and the LED lights on the hub are lit up
- Wireless USB mouse connected to the USB hub
- USB hard drive plugged into the USB hub (this is a 2.5" hard drive and is completely powered by the USB connection and has no mains AC adapter like the 3.5 inch external hard drives).
- the movie is playing off of the hard drive and is displayed on the LCD TV\monitor

Observations:
- at 1080p video output, the audio cuts in and out repeatedly\cyclically
- at 720p video output, audio is clean and normal

2)
Setup:
- AC charger for the tablet plugged into the DC jack of the tablet
- USB hard drive plugged directly into the tablet USB port (this is a 2.5" hard drive and is completely powered by the USB connection and has no mains AC adapter like the 3.5 inch external hard drives).
- the movie is playing off of the hard drive and is displayed on the LCD TV\monitor

Observations:
- at 1080p video output, audio is clean and normal

3)
Setup:
- AC charger for the tablet NOT plugged in
- USB hard drive plugged directly into the tablet USB port (this is a 2.5" hard drive and is completely powered by the USB connection and has no mains AC adapter like the 3.5 inch external hard drives).

Observations:
- at 1080p video output, audio is clean and normal

Conclusions for my tablet:
1) It does not matter if the tablet is being charged with its adapter or not during use when connected via HDMI.

2) If I have to use a powered USB hub, display in 720p video output only.

3) If there is no powered usb hub, 1080p video output is fine; although I should test with an unpowered USB hub as well and I'll edit\update this post when I get the results from that.

4) I am not an electrical engineer, however, at this point, for my tablet, this appears to be a hardware related connection issue, possibly related to a ground loop noise problem, particularly since the period (length of time) between sound cutting out seems constant although I didn't time it exactly. The main clue is that the powered USB hub is plugged into the AC mains, likely completing a ground loop. Google "audio noise ground loop" for more info or have a look at these links (not sure if they'll show up, get modded out):
http://www.epanorama...nts/groundloop/
http://en.wikipedia....p_(electricity)

The fact that it only happens at 1080p video output and not 720p video in Setup 1 may not eliminate the ground loop theory as it's difficult to say what electrical circuits and gates are enabled when 1080p is used and perhaps both cpus and\or gpus are drawing full power, etc., such an event may complete\create a ground loop.

5) It remains possible that this is a firmware related issue, but I have no background in coding\programming so hopefully one of the heroes of this forum, such as Christian Troy, Pat Moss or others will come up with a solution via firmware.

Hope these observations can help clarify the symptoms, under what circumstances\setup and perhaps help solve and\or alleviate the problem.

Have you got HDMI sound stutter? So did I. I tried every single ROM out there, and no matter what I tried, the stutter remained.
Then I discovered something strange, If I kept my finger on the Touchscreen, the sound stutter would not happen. So I had a
theory. When a finger is on the touchscreen, the CPU speed is increased to process touches. To test this, I downloaded CPU tuner
and set the Minimum frequency to 1320, and max to 1320 (constant CPU speed). This has gotten rid of the sound stutter issue!

Let me know if it works for you guys.

Edited by noohspam, 12 September 2012 - 10:47 AM.

• Innerleaf and Tzul like this

#13 Innerleaf

Innerleaf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

Hope these observations can help clarify the symptoms, under what circumstances\setup and perhaps help solve and\or alleviate the problem.

Thanks for the informative post.

My setup is similar to your Setups 2 & 3. I am using DS24 but using the V7 FS patch.

- HDMI connection between the tablet and both Samsung LED TV and Sharp LCD TVs.
- AC charger for the tablet plugged into the DC jack of the tablet (I have also used this setup without AC, but the power draw is too great, and I fear the tablet shutting down mid movie/game!)
- 4 port unpowered USB 2.0 hub plugged into the usb port on the tablet
- Wireless keyboard and USB mouse connected to the USB hub
- 250GB WD non-powered USB hard drive (or 32GB usb flash drive) plugged into the USB hub
- the movie is playing from either HDD or USB flash drive and is displayed on the LCD TV\monitor - I use DUAL HDMI display

On both 1080p and 720p I have no audio stuttering under these conditions, using stock MoviePlayer, moboplayer or MXPlayer.

However, when I use BSPlayer (using the BSPlayer decoding engine) 1080p audio out via HDMI stutters, and is laggy. That is the only situation that I get choppy audio.

Reading on this and other forums, I still suspect it could be related to the TVs used? LG seems to crop up a bit with people describing the choppy HDMI audio output. I can't test this on my setup though, I don't have access to an LG TV.

#14 DarkWrath669

DarkWrath669

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, Hampshire, UK

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Here is my setup as posted in another thread I recently edited to clear up:

Every rom I have tried, I have had probglems with the audio over HDMI.

It keeps cutting out every couple of seconds.
Tried Troy's Cyanogen Mod 10 and same cocurs under that.

Tested using my LG TV on a standard HDMI to mini HDMI cable as well as a couple other HDMI cables (One with ethernet) through a HDMI - Mini HDMI adaptor as well.

Tested under 720P and 1080P

Dual display turned off and on.

Every other HDMI device works fine on both of MY LG TV's I am testing with.

Also tried multiple players for audio and video. MX, QQ, streaming through Chrome, FireFox etc.

I know the HDMI audio is a known problem, but is everyone in the same boat as me?

Could it be hardware fault or will we be able to fix this with a updated kernel?

Any clarifications or details appreciated, going away on 19th and really want to have my HDMI all working flawlessly for then as it's one of the main reasons I bought my A2.
Running Aurora II currently on DoubleStuff 24
I love playing with my Ainol. ;)

#15 kamoon

kamoon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

I know the HDMI audio is a known problem, but is everyone in the same boat as me?

Sorry pal, there is currently no workaround to get HDMI out working with certain TV's. I have LG TV which always has choppy audio no matter what cable, rom or player is used. There is some sort of compatibility issue with A2 and some TV's. In my opinion it is A2 that is broken because every other device works fine with the HDMI of my TV.

Therefore I'd like to say to everyone considering buying A2 and want to use it with HDMI to proceed with caution as it is a hit and miss if it works with your TV or not. Especially people with LG should look for other tablets.

#16 noohspam

noohspam

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have access to several different monitors with speakers and LCD TVs, including at least one LG TV. I will try to test a variety of them tonight and report back with my findings. I'll also give the BS Player a go to see how that runs.

One option that should be considered, and I think I recall someone else bringing up the topic in another thread somewhere, is the 3.5 mm audio out headphone jack. Does it remain active\enabled when HDMI out is enabled? If so, would a pair of headphones plugged into the headphone jack experience the stuttering? If not, then for those that do have a consistent HDMI sound issue, it may by possible to output sound to a separate set of speakers or even to a stereo receiver (with a 3.5 mm audio to RCA cable) I'll try to experiment with that as well.

Thanks for the informative post.

My setup is similar to your Setups 2 & 3. I am using DS24 but using the V7 FS patch.

- HDMI connection between the tablet and both Samsung LED TV and Sharp LCD TVs.
- AC charger for the tablet plugged into the DC jack of the tablet (I have also used this setup without AC, but the power draw is too great, and I fear the tablet shutting down mid movie/game!)
- 4 port unpowered USB 2.0 hub plugged into the usb port on the tablet
- Wireless keyboard and USB mouse connected to the USB hub
- 250GB WD non-powered USB hard drive (or 32GB usb flash drive) plugged into the USB hub
- the movie is playing from either HDD or USB flash drive and is displayed on the LCD TV\monitor - I use DUAL HDMI display

On both 1080p and 720p I have no audio stuttering under these conditions, using stock MoviePlayer, moboplayer or MXPlayer.

However, when I use BSPlayer (using the BSPlayer decoding engine) 1080p audio out via HDMI stutters, and is laggy. That is the only situation that I get choppy audio.

Reading on this and other forums, I still suspect it could be related to the TVs used? LG seems to crop up a bit with people describing the choppy HDMI audio output. I can't test this on my setup though, I don't have access to an LG TV.

#17 DarkWrath669

DarkWrath669

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Would love to get to the bottom of this.

My hopes are that something in the kernel is causing the audio to do something odd / silly that LG televisions pick up on and it's a simple change that can be made to amend this.
From the OP, it seems to be something that the CPU is doing when the HDMI is plugged in, or perhaps all times and HDMI audio is the only noticible side effect.

Have 2 non LG HDMI TV's in the house that I will test with tonight.

#18 kamoon

kamoon

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:54 PM

If so, would a pair of headphones plugged into the headphone jack experience the stuttering? If not, then for those that do have a consistent HDMI sound issue, it may by possible to output sound to a separate set of speakers or even to a stereo receiver (with a 3.5 mm audio to RCA cable

That is possible and with 3.5mm out there is no lag. I use it that way since I can't use HDMI sound. Of course that way there is no 5.1 output but at least I can use it to watch movies.

#19 DarkWrath669

DarkWrath669

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

2 newer generation lg TVs in my house have hdmi sound problem.
Girlfriends Logik hd tv is fine.
My old small Orion hdmi tv has no sounds.
Parents older generation LG tv is fine. Perfect picture and sound.

All tested both 720 & 1080
Would love a dev to find a way to have it working on my newer gen LG TVs (2011)

Edited by DarkWrath669, 11 September 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#20 detomaso

detomaso

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

Works flawlessly on my Sony Bravia CX520, but on my old S series Bravia... I could not for the life of me get the audio to work.

Quite annoying as I had hoped to give my mum the A2, so she could plug it into the older Bravia to use

I might load up some HD movies and go test them on some new TV's this wknd.