Android Tablets Forum banner

Internal SD card taking a long time to mount (SOLVED)

194K views 145 replies 58 participants last post by  P0tato 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else having trouble with the internal SD card?

I'm running official 0626 firmware with 51mb root.

This morning the on boot the tablet gave the notification "Preparing SD card. Checking for errors" and wouldn't change. Obviously while it's doing this you can't access the internal SD, where all my apps are stored.

I restored to factory default, wiped cache, reflashed the rom, no change. In the end the only answer was to wipe the media partition (the internal SD).

After the wiped/reflash it went back to normal. I've just spent the past 5 hours setting the tablet back to how it was, downloading games and apps again etc. only for it to happen again. Same "checking for errors" notification that just won't change.

Anyone experienced similar and know of a fix?

SOLUTION

This problem is solve.
see below.
use "SDFormatter".

SD Formatter formats Flash so that the performance of a Flash can be pulled out to the utmost.
When formatting a Flash, it recommends strongly using not the format tool attached to an operating system but this SD Formatter.
Although the format tool attached to an operating system can generally format various recording media containing a Flash, It may not be optimized by the Flash and performance may fall from the case where SD Formatter is used.

so, procedure is below (now "SDFormatter" is windowsOS only).

01. Download "SDFormatter" from this link -> HERE
02. Install "SDFormatter"
03. Enable "USB Debugging Mode" from Developer Options in settings.
04. Connect your tablet to PC (USB).
05. Then, tap the "USB Strage Mode" to connect to PC.
06. Backup data on INTERNAL_SD card.
07. Run "SDFormatter".
08. Specify the drive letter of INTERNAL_SD in SDFormatter and click "(Option)" button.
09. "FORMAT TYPE" select "FULL OVERWRITE" and set "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSMENT" to "ON" and click "OK"
10. Now click "FORMAT" and wait for the procedure to complete. (Can take approximately 1 hour 40 minutes)
11. After format is completed you can recopy the backup files back onto the INTERNAL_SD
12. HAVE FUN !!

probably this act is effective in all the China tablets.
this storage faster effect is in all the tablets I own.
Thanks to ben1st for pointing this out.

See less See more
#4 ·
happened to me this morning,, exactly the same scenario..

at first, i thought i bricked the unit because i have just edited the build.prop (Galaxy Note script), restarted it,, then the "Preparing SD card. Checking for errors" appeared...

the CMW too had an error after restarting the unit,,

G
#5 ·
Phoenix.. a few questions if you don't mind.

- What rom were you running?
- Had you used App2SD to move your games to the internal SD card?
- Any Gameloft games installed?
- Did the error happen after you installed anything, or just after a boot?

#16 ·
i was running the official aurora ii 0626 firmware then, i decided to change the build.prop (Galaxy Note) script,,

didn't install anything else, just rebooted it after changing the file..

i don't have any Gameloft games installed.

never used App2SD.

i fixed it by installing the feiyu mod 0628, then wipe media, never used the build.prop again. applied Root Aurora II then after rebooting the unit goes updating the firmware automatically,, giving it the official novo 7 app.

no internal SD card problem ever since.

#7 ·
Gameloft (or similar big download games) seem to cause this. I left mine overnight once and it did actually complete. Delete the media partition and it will boot fine.

Then download GL to SD from the google play market. This will detect gameloft games and allow you to run them from the EXTERNAL SD card, rather than the internal.

For more detailed points check for my post in the "Aurora II tips" thread.

G
#12 ·
APKs on the tablet memory, data for those APKs on the internal SD. Rebooted. Same problem.

Thanks the information. Do you need to have a microSD inserted to use this config, or is it ok just to have the internal show as an external with no internal available?

G
#30 ·
Just did the same thing-- format fat32 64k-- Shadowgun & GTA3 installed. Multiple reboots, mount/unmount SD on pc, not had one single 'checking for errors' or 'preparing sd card' notification since the format. Seems to have done the trick.

G
#33 ·
Julzmiah, no.

If you still have access to your internal SD card, back up the data on it then format it. Put data back on.

If you have the SD error at the moment you just format. Instructions in the first post in this thread.

I'm running feiyu0609 on this tablet. I'll try it on my other Aurora2 running aggro0626 in a day or two.

#41 ·
Anyone else having trouble with the internal SD card?

I'm running official 0626 firmware with 51mb root.

This morning the on boot the tablet gave the notification "Preparing SD card. Checking for errors" and wouldn't change. Obviously while it's doing this you can't access the internal SD, where all my apps are stored.

I restored to factory default, wiped cache, reflashed the rom, no change. In the end the only answer was to wipe the media partition (the internal SD).

After the wiped/reflash it went back to normal. I've just spent the past 5 hours setting the tablet back to how it was, downloading games and apps again etc. only for it to happen again. Same "checking for errors" notification that just won't change.

Anyone experienced similar and know of a fix?

EDIT:

How to prevent this from happening / How to fix this problem

Once you get this error unfortunately you'll need to format the SD card from inside the recovery menu (hold down volume up and volume down as you boot the tablet). You will lose all data stored on the internal SD card.

Boot into recovery menu.

Format the media partiion.

Reboot and connect the tablet to your PC.

Once connected, turn on USB mode so you can copy/move files from the tablet with your PC.

Once the internal SD card is mounted on your PC, format the internal SD card with your computer to FAT32 with 64k cluster/allocation size.

Unmount from the PC. Turn off USB mode on the tablet. Reboot. You should be good to go.
OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was having the same issues but thought it was my external card. After wiping media my problem went away.

Still get the unable to mount issue in Android Recovery 3e, but I'm guessing it's looking for something that was pre-installed before formatting the card.

I also had my Micro SD card formatted as NTFS after seeing that recommended on another site, but recovery didn't even see the card until I formatted it as FAT32 (16K).

Thank god for this Android Community!

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
The problem came back

I did a full format to FAT32 64kb and filled the SD with various Gameloft games up to about 6gb and then after reboot SD is checking for errors forever.

Maybe the SD cards are bad quality or not really 16gb?

Update: I take this back. It just took about 10 minutes but it finally got past it and works again

I had about 2gb of new data on ASD so maybe that's why it took so long.

#49 ·
After a restart it takes about 5-10mins for the "preparing SD card/checking for errors" to go. I have about 7 Gameloft games. I think the files are many for games like NOVA, ASPHALT, DEAD SPACE, etc. Nothing major for me as I play "Cut the Rope" to pass the time from internal whiles it loads.

What really bothers me is If you leave the tablet for it to go to sleep whiles "preparing SD card/checking for errors" is on you cannot bring it back. Anyone having this issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.