Photo

[ROM - 5.3] ALPHA DIRTY-BEAN 4.1.X - Team DRH (Update 08/23/12)

• Please log in to reply
1744 replies to this topic

Poll: [ROM - 5.3] ALPHA DIRTY-BEAN 4.1.X - Team DRH (Update 08/23/12) (234 member(s) have cast votes)

Were you able to get the rom installed without looping at "the birds?"

1. YES (211 votes [90.17%])

Percentage of vote: 90.17%

2. NO (23 votes [9.83%])

Percentage of vote: 9.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#821 nipper

nipper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

OK. Trying to remove DSP manager

I tried root explorer after I stopped it but it failed. Tried titanium free and the uninstall and it goes to 3 birds. Before I have used root explorer successfully to remove it.

What am I missing?

#822 JUGOMAN

JUGOMAN

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationPUERTO RICO

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

OK. Trying to remove DSP manager

I tried root explorer after I stopped it but it failed. Tried titanium free and the uninstall and it goes to 3 birds. Before I have used root explorer successfully to remove it.

What am I missing?

Just rename it, like Dspmanger.apkold in system app, then reboot.

Edited by JUGOMAN, 08 September 2012 - 10:40 AM.

G Tablets Dirty Bean 4.2.2, G Tablet, Nv Flashed and ready for KitKat
Acer Iconia A500 Omnirom 4.4.2
Ainol Novo Captain Vanilla 4.2.2
Moto Atrix Cm 7

#823 nipper

nipper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Just rename it, like Dspmanger.apkold in system app, then reboot.

Tried that with root explorer and it failed. I know I have /system mount RW

Will try again

#824 nipper

nipper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

OK. The system partition was not mounted correctly so I remounted it and then renamed it.

#825 lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

OK. The system partition was not mounted correctly so I remounted it and then renamed it.

Also, there is an app "SystemCleanUp" that is good for removing or freezing apk's also you can move them from data to system and visa versa.

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 32gb unlocked, rooted, CROMI-X 5.3a
Viewsonic G-tab (BL1.2 ROM) SmoOth Bean 1.5.2
Acer Iconia a100 Rooted and Unlocked bootloader. Just in case I want to install a custom Rom:D
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Nothing left in my right brain! Nothing right in my left brain!

#826 lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Using the sdcard instead of the emmc is possible but you have to modify the init.rc, init.harmony.rc, and vold.ftab. unless you make those changes you are wasting the space on your microsd.

This is the mod I was talking about: http://forum.xda-dev....php?t=1422158. It is for the Acer Iconia tab that is a 7" tegra 2 that I have. I was successful in doing the mod on it. I asked the dev if this would work on the Viewsonic G Tablet and he said that it should. It includes a zip file what may modify those areas that you are talking about. I don't know for sure, i'm not a dev but, I can follow instructions. :-D

Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 32gb unlocked, rooted, CROMI-X 5.3a
Viewsonic G-tab (BL1.2 ROM) SmoOth Bean 1.5.2
Acer Iconia a100 Rooted and Unlocked bootloader. Just in case I want to install a custom Rom:D
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Nothing left in my right brain! Nothing right in my left brain!

#827 wnbowman

wnbowman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

I have a question about the kernel version. I keep seeing references to 3.1 and .39. I was previously on ICS 1.3.x from TeamDRH, and have just installed DirtyBean 5.3 using the instructions in post #1. I did the NVFlash to set the partition to 350M, followed by mounting USB and copying ZIP file over. Installed the ROM, but my kernel is showing as 2.6.39.4. I did not booting into the image after the NVFlash mode. Was that a step that I needed to do?

Performance is on par for an alpha build, and I only had 20-30 apps (if that many) to install. I did not elect to restore from previous backups.

The only app that I have not been able to run is Beach Buggy Blitz, which states is specifically coded for Tegra devices.

Edit: I did see in the screenshots that the kernel version matches what I have installed. However, I am still confused as to when/if we will see the 3.x kernel introduced, and what features that brings to the G-Tab.

Neal

Edited by wnbowman, 09 September 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#828 y0chang

y0chang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

I wanted to thank Makarnak for the wonderful ini tweaks, it really helps to tweak the memory dumps, its slightly more laggier on hi memory applications, but I dont get a 15-20 pause anymore. Wonderful work by the mods for the hard work to bring JB to the GTab.

#829 JUGOMAN

JUGOMAN

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationPUERTO RICO

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

I am experiecing UWS (Update Withdrawal Syndrome) Anyone else?
G Tablets Dirty Bean 4.2.2, G Tablet, Nv Flashed and ready for KitKat
Acer Iconia A500 Omnirom 4.4.2
Ainol Novo Captain Vanilla 4.2.2
Moto Atrix Cm 7

#830 bfoster68

bfoster68

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

I am experiecing UWS (Update Withdrawal Syndrome) Anyone else?

agreed

#831 jz-train

jz-train

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Team DRH... I would like to express my gratitude for all of your hard work on another fantastic release. I must say I am amazed at what you guy can accomplish. From the bottom of my heart, not just myself, but we all thank you for everything you have done to make the Gtab a bleeding edge system. At the very least I believe Viewsonic should throw some money your way for keeping their device alive and still in high demand.

Guys, your work is greatly appreciated. We thank you.

#832 Redbot

Redbot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

I installed a Kodak ESP 3.2 printer and set up the google ghost print and installed the Kodak Pic Flick app. I sent a picture from my G-Tab to the printer worked great although the android version of app will only sent jpgs at this time. The TeamDRH's JB Rom is the best so far,with Makarnak's tweaks it's quicker loading apps, great job guys! I even bought a web cam (MS-VX5000),plugged it in worked using gapps camera app, as for Viewsonic coughing up jingle to TeamDRH, I wouldn't bet on that happening any time soon, but I'm willing to pony up a few more shekels for several rounds of suds. Well enough kissing up for now.

Edited by Redbot, 09 September 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Redbot Soft bricking is a learning moment, now SODs really suxs but what can you do!

#833 snapthatcher

snapthatcher

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Touchscreen problems persist and only get more mysterious... This is really odd. I went back to stock and the part of the window that held the user agreement info would scroll without a prob on both sides of the tab. But would not work outside of the center where the agreement text was. Whole window area works fine when I use a mouse. When I load the latest JB or any other rom/kernel, the part that worked no longer responded. To me that takes out the possibility of hardware/internal cable issues. All roms work fine with a mouse plugged in. All roms load fine as they always had. Used gojimi's calibrate.ini several times without success. If the dead area had not worked when I went back to stock I would have called it hardware and said farewell to it. But I do not want to give up on her yet. Am I looking at a freak kernel issue. Tried loading some older kernels when I was messing around with older roms to no avail. What else can I do? How can I completely and totally wipe kernel and rom? Is there still a chance with the kernel you are working on? Can I grab the new version even though it is not ready for the public to see if it cures my woes? It has been a week long battle. Please let me know....

#834 jazzruby

jazzruby

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

\*OFF TOPIC*/ - \*HEADS UP*/

Total Commander 2.0 beta1
http://www.ghisler.c...pic.php?t=35391

-JR-

#835 The_Jeff

The_Jeff

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

I have a question about the kernel version. I keep seeing references to 3.1 and .39. I was previously on ICS 1.3.x from TeamDRH, and have just installed DirtyBean 5.3 using the instructions in post #1. I did the NVFlash to set the partition to 350M, followed by mounting USB and copying ZIP file over. Installed the ROM, but my kernel is showing as 2.6.39.4. I did not booting into the image after the NVFlash mode. Was that a step that I needed to do?

Performance is on par for an alpha build, and I only had 20-30 apps (if that many) to install. I did not elect to restore from previous backups.

The only app that I have not been able to run is Beach Buggy Blitz, which states is specifically coded for Tegra devices.

Edit: I did see in the screenshots that the kernel version matches what I have installed. However, I am still confused as to when/if we will see the 3.x kernel introduced, and what features that brings to the G-Tab.

Neal

If you browse through this forum, there was an in depth discussion about what the differences in the kernels are and possible enhancements we can look forward to.
Forever a loyal member of team Flashback, the non OC club.

#836 wnbowman

wnbowman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

If you browse through this forum, there was an in depth discussion about what the differences in the kernels are and possible enhancements we can look forward to.

Thanks Jeff. Over the past couple of days, I have read all the posts, and must have overlooked the enhancements topic. I'll search again to see what I can find.

#837 wnbowman

wnbowman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks Jeff. Over the past couple of days, I have read all the posts, and must have overlooked the enhancements topic. I'll search again to see what I can find.

Well, searching for 'kernel 3.1' returns a message that the number of characters is less than 4, or I am searching for content not allowed.

#838 Rothcha

Rothcha

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Well, searching for 'kernel 3.1' returns a message that the number of characters is less than 4, or I am searching for content not allowed.

Try using "3.1 kernel" with the quote symbols. I found 18 posts with this search parameter.
ROM: PAC-man 4.2.2, OC 1.4 GHz
GAPP: Included with ROM (Standard - Modded)
CWMR: CWM-based Recovery 6.0.2.8

Samsung Galaxy SIII - T-Mobile JB 4.1.2

#839 Makarnak

Makarnak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

A big thank you and you're welcome to everyone that have liked my tweaks. As I stated before, it's an ongoing process as I polish and twitch things around, trying to find the right balance. In that vein, I thought I'd post what's working for me now. Also as before, I'm not an expert...at your own risk...hope it works...etc.

I also prefer tweaks that let me keep my Live Wallpapers, GAPPs and pretty much whatever I want to run. I feel that this is very possible, without sacrificing very much at all (if anything noticeable). I'm itemizing them and explaining them for folks that are interested in adding them easily, or that might not know what they do, normally. If I'm definitely wrong, please let me know. I'm not an expert, but am curious and have a lot of time on my hands to research and experiment.

As a note, I've managed to get N.O.V.A. 3 working fairly well (one or two levels worth, anyway), using the ol' Gtab, and the recent broadening of their device compatibility. Photoshop Touch's new update is working as well. I've discovered that when it comes to graphics, if you can get the memory right, the Gtab really is willing to put out on the graphics :).

Last but not least, it's not perfect. I may have solved the problem, but I was getting hard locks on Web browsers with lots of tabs open. Other than that, though, things were going pretty swimmingly.

First things first:
Removed System Apps: I removed some of these because a) I kept seeing them showing up in the Task Manager, and B) I couldn't see a reason for them, or c) I needed that LAST little bit of space. Some of them may have some undetermined purpose that makes them necessary. If someone in the know, well, knows, please let ME know.

I backed these up and uninstalled them using System Tuner.

Android Keyboard: (I use a different one, and I'm probably taking a risk by not having a system keyboard, but if I've screwed it up that bad, I'll just reflash. Plus, it was eating up memory).
Android Live Wallpapers, Black Hole, Bubbles, CyanogenMod Wallpapers, Music Visualization Wallpapers, Phase Beam, com.android.wallpaper.holospiral: (didn't want the icons or choices filling up the menu, and didn't want the wallpapers). I left Magic Smoke.
Apollo, Browser, Calculator, Clock, Email, Exchange Services: (Use a different app for the same purpose, or related purpose). Check out HandyCalc if you want a smart, useful calculator, btw. It's a favorite of mine.
Mobile Data, Mobile Network Configuration: Hey, it's not a phone, right? It's not attached to a mobile network.
com.android.smspush: Really not sure if this was important or not, but I reasoned it can't receive SMS messages. Also, in research, this seemed to be something used by providers to send things like update messages. It may be needed for that, but it seemed incidental, and it did run on the system and take up memory.
DSP manager: I liked the equalizer, but it seemed to be the final straw that allowed me to run N.O.V.A. 3, after LyricalPapa mentioned that it was the straw that let the camel stand up on his machine. It may or may not have mattered, but I did get the game running.

I tried to pay attention to what was running and where on my tab, and adjust accordingly. I'm down to three or four widgets, alas, but that's my choice, to keep it from eating up memory. I found a nice clock/weather/system info app (Advanced Clock Widget) to take care of time, temperature and battery percentage. With the way that Android cycles background tasks, this may not be as important, but may make a difference if you're wondering what you can do to change it.

Settings: Performance: Processor
Maximum CPU Frequency: 1200 Mhz
Minimum CPU Frequency: 312 Mhz (I boosted this one slightly. It may help a leeettle bit, and it won't really impact the battery).

Settings: Performance: Memory Management
zRam: Still at 18%, though I still don't know if this setting has any effect (an earlier dev post implied it didn't).
Allow Purging of Assets: Checked.

Settings: Surface Improvement
Disable dithering: I'm torn on the effect this has. It can be noticeable visually, but it may not take up as much effort as I thought. Your results might vary.

Settings: Developer Options
Disable HW overlays and Force GPU Rendering: First of all, just turning on debugging MAY be a memory/CPU chewer, not much, but small changes can have big effects. That said, I think that turning on Force GPU rendering and Disable HW overlays did help when Web browsing. However, these will kill any chance of running a high end game, in my experience. Still, they don't require a reboot, so feel free to experiment for what's right for you.

System Tuner: Build.prop
I had a few higher end programs that needed a little more room (the updated Photoshop Touch, N.O.V.A. 3), I think, so I loosened this up and brought back the heapgrowthlimit. Lowering your heapsize and the SD card tweak below, if you do nothing else from the base, will have the quickest, most noticeable effect.

dalvik.vm.heapgrowthlimit: 48m
dalvik.vm.heapsize: 96m (a little less than 128m, but both worked, and I tried to keep this as tight as possible). All of these functions seem to intertwine with the need to write background data to free memory, and we need to balance that read/write to juggle). If you have plenty of apps running (widgets, updates, etc.) keeping this at 256m seems to ask for trouble to me.

I experimented with the hardware/gpu tweaks here, but couldn't see a real difference.

System Tuner: SysCtl
kernel.threads-max: 13435 (This one seems to help a lot, but you'll need to click on 'Advanced' to access it under kernel, and enter the number manually, I pulled the number from my phone's SysCtl which has similar stats, and since the number was so different, it seemed like something to try. I could just be imagining it, too...)
net.core.rmem_max: 2.5mb (I'm experimenting with Web/Network response and giving this a hefty number to work with seemed like something to try. Again, it MAY be helping, but any imagined boost given past 2.5 didn't make a difference). Try it if you like.
net.core.wmem_max: 2.5mb (see above).
vm.dirty_background_ratio: 5%
vm.dirty_ratio: 25% (same as last time)
vm.min_free_kbytes: 10.00 mb. While keeping memory free sounds great (I've seen suggestions up to 50mb!) that's memory that's not being used, so I thought, since every other machine I've checked keeps this number less than 3mb, that 10mb would be useful, but not unreasonable. Also, I stole some for the net.core items above.
vm.swappiness: 40%
vm.vfs_cache_pressure: 60% (These last two are the money-makers for balancing out the writing of memory to the SD card, I'm sliding this one around, but 60% seems to make it happy).

System Tuner: SD
Cache Size: 512
IO Scheduler: cfq

I did a few empirical tests with SD Tester (I think, and these settings provided the best overall read/write times, over all of the IO schedulers and Cache Sizes). These help a lot since so much of the big pauses are caused by writing to SD.

System Tuner: Tweaks/OOM (Memory tweaks)
A note here, I looked at the apps I was running and which annoying programs kept popping up to tweak these settings. Chances are, they'll work about the same for everyone, but you can tap on the category to see which apps are currently running under that category. Some apps have two or three separate levels, and just MIGHT cause problems. Be aware. I suggest you tweak them, but not set the boot settings until you're sure they'll work with little trouble. Mostly, I emphasized the front-end programs (currently running app, system, etc.) and minimized the back-end updates without obliterating them.

Foreground Applications: 8MB
Visible Applications: 14MB
Secondary Server: 60MB
Hidden Applications: 70MB
Content Providers: 85MB
Empty Applications: 100MB

Keep in mind, you want USEABLE memory for whatever you focus on. Too much free memory means you're not using it for running the programs you want to run. You do want a sizeable flexible area, though (hence the higher numbers on Secondary Server down), because you don't want to shunt things to SD card all the time.

Now, I find that with these settings it runs pretty darn smoothly. Some apps may take longer to boot, but usually that's only on the first time opened under these settings. I also practice manual memory management (using the recent apps button, sliding old programs off of the list), and that helps, as it doesn't try to save your Angry Birds game in memory as you surf the Web.

As I said earlier, I was having some lock-ups, but may have fixed the problem. Other than that, it seems to be working swimmingly. All in all, I hope it helps.

Edit: Someone on the Dirty-Bean XDA thread asked about tweaks, and I tried to post these there, but hit a new member wall (and couldn't post), so if someone wants to aim them toward these, it may be helpful to someone. Trying to help...

Edited by Makarnak, 09 September 2012 - 12:40 PM.

• FlyinDuke and GinoA like this

#840 dagwud

dagwud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have two g-tablets - my original purchase, and one a coworker dropped (which damaged the touch screen). Mine looped at the birds, so I thought I'd try the other one, which I'd previously canibalized for speakers.

I thought it was going to loop at the birds, but, lo and behold, I saw animation! It booted and I was able to set up the tablet. But, since the screen was broken, I thought I'd switch out the system board with the tablet that wouldn't load 5.3

I've noticed the following differences between the boards.

• The board that looped has a Samsung NAND chip. The board that worked has a Sandisk NAND chip.
  • On the top side of the board at the bottom, the looping board reads "HannStar J MV-4 94V-0 1033." The working board reads "Hannstar J MV-4 94v-) 1047."

I don't know if this provides any useful information to the devs on why some boards loop and others don't. But I figured I'd share.

Edited by dagwud, 09 September 2012 - 01:30 PM.