Android Tablets Forum banner

[ROM - 5.3] ALPHA DIRTY-BEAN 4.1.X - Team DRH (Update 08/23/12)

509K views 2K replies 261 participants last post by  The3DmaN 
#1 ·
Were you able to get the rom installed without looping at "the birds?"
YES21190.17%
NO239.83%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)

TeamDRH (Dirty Reset Hole) presents the first public alpha for Android 4.1.X (Jelly Bean).

DISCLAIMER
Attention commuters of the intertubes! The group of individuals known as Team DRH take absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY for any DAMAGE that YOU cause to YOUR device! This "labor of love" we call and Android ROM comes AS IS and is not an official release by any means. If you have not already SOILED your device by flashing a custom ROM then to do so will VOID any WARRANTY you may have left. Team DRH and its affiliates are not responsible if your G-Tablet does any of the following: Explodes, Flies off to space to battle the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Is generally awesome, solves world hunger or explodes... again. (OK We take responsibility for you Tablet becoming Awesomesauce.) So in essence... Flash this totally rad ROM at your own RISK and prepare to Spontaneously Combust with AWESOMENESS!

HOW TO INSTALL
  • Download the following file <--- Seriously don't skip this step unless you are 100% positive that you have a 350M system partition (md5: 256a4bf1da503f4a1ec1f998a00a05f2)
  • Boot tablet into APX mode by holding volume down and power for about 6 seconds
  • Plug tablet into computer
  • NVFLASH the above following the instructions that are included for Windows/Linux users
  • Turn tablet back on (it will boot into recovery)
  • Partition Internal SD Card (2048M/0)
  • Enable USB connection and copy DRH ROM onto internal/external sdcard
  • Flash ROM that was copied over
  • Enjoy!

The ROM's system folder was very close to the max size our system partition could handle on the G-Tablet and with any bad blocks, it was more than the G-Tablet could handle and installing GApps made it even worse. In this release the system size has increased from 200MB (stock gtab) to 350MB. Since Jellybean is so large in size this is needed. The cache directory has been syslinked to the internal sdcard as to save space on the NAND. This is the same setup that ICS 1.3.2 had.

WHAT WORKS
  • WIFI
  • Hardware Acceleration
  • Sleep
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • Sensors
  • Sound
  • USB/MTP (If you plug in USB while your tablet is asleep you will have a SOD)
  • Capacitive Buttons
  • Hardware Buttons
  • USB Flash Drives
  • Proper SD Card Mounts
  • HD Videos
  • Dock
  • More to come...

WHAT'S NOT WORKING
  • Camera
  • Microphone (Works but drops after 6-8secs)
  • Possible ROM Slowdowns
  • HDMI Audio

Version Info:
This build of JB will be starting at Alpha 5.0. Reason being in the ICS ROM version's 1.x interfered with bootloader version and Android version. We are trying to get away from that mess so we just decided to jump to 5.0. 5.0 is basically the equivalent to 1.0.

Final Thoughts:
This build has been tested and running on some "unbootable" tablets. This is not a guarantee this ROM will work on your tablet. Also this ROM is still going through the testing phase so there is most likely to be bugs. Finally, I have mentioned quite a bit about the 3.1 kernel. Right now this ROM is still running on the .39 kernel. This will change in the near future. We are still ironing out kinks in the 3.1 kernel and it is not ready for public consumption yet.

If you like this project and appreciate the extreme amount of time that the devs put into this please donate:

Donate to TeamDRH: LINK

Other Credits:
This ROM would not happen without all the brilliant minds behind the CM10 project.

[hr]

Attachments

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone! Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I have not been around in a few weeks. I recently started a new job and as of today I have a new baby girl born early this morning. I will be getting back to helping the team and you all very soon. Hope everything is well for everyone. See you all around the forums.

-The3DmaN

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Changelog:

(8/23/2012)TeamDRH-JB-Alpha-5.3.zip
  • Updated Kernel
  • MinFree and oom killer tweaks
  • Added external USB Webcam Support (Does not work with all webcams)
  • Updated CM10 Base (With latest code)
  • Added ZRAM
  • Changed to SuperSU

(8/15/2012)TeamDRH-JB-Alpha-5.2.zip
  • Fixed SD card permissions, this fixes sideloading errors
You can also update this rom by visiting (here & here)

(8/14/2012)TeamDRH-JB-Alpha-5.1.zip
  • Updated Kernel
  • Fixed Market issue
  • Added DRH branding
(8/14/2012)
Updated DRH-Preinstall file.
  • New install method; no longer needs TnT to start up
  • Includes new ClockworkMod 6.0.1.1 TeamDRH Touch Recovery Beta 1!!!

(8/13/2012)TeamDRH-JB-Alpha-5.0.zip
  • Android 4.1.1 Jellybean!!!
  • Moved Cache to internal SD
  • Cleaned up init.rc
  • Added Gapps
  • Added Installer
  • Added Bootsound option (not functional just yet)
  • Kernel Updated
  • CM10 Base (With latest code)

#205 ·
Changelog:

(8/15/2012)TeamDRH-JB-Alpha-5.2.zip
  • Fixed SD card permissions, this fixes sideloading errors
You can also update this rom by visiting (here & here)

(8/14/2012)TeamDRH-JB-Alpha-5.1.zip
  • Updated Kernel
  • Fixed Market issue
  • Added DRH branding
(8/14/2012)
Updated DRH-Preinstall file.
  • New install method; no longer needs TnT to start up
  • Includes new ClockworkMod 6.0.1.1 TeamDRH Touch Recovery Beta 1!!!

(8/13/2012)TeamDRH-JB-Alpha-5.0.zip
  • Android 4.1.1 Jellybean!!!
  • Moved Cache to internal SD
  • Cleaned up init.rc
  • Added Gapps
  • Added Installer
  • Added Bootsound option (not functional just yet)
  • Kernel Updated
  • CM10 Base (With latest code)
Just donated to the Team, you guys deserve it. Confirmation code 60L88374TC691633H.

#6 ·
This Is great, I can now run JB on BL 1.2
Great job dev team. Thanks.

#7 ·
I know what I am doing tonight! And to think, my GTab will be running JB before by brand-spanking-new Galaxy S III!

#8 ·
In the install instructions you say, " Download the following file <--- Seriously don't skip this step unless you are 100% positive that you have a 350M system partition." Is the 350M a misprint because it is normally 250m?;-)

#11 ·
It's not a misprint as it's further explained that Jelly Bean required the larger system partition. This is the same for my HTC Desire running Jelly Bean. Possibly the same reason why CM team decided to not continue support for HTC Desire and similar devices with small ROM(?).

#9 ·
First, thanks to Team DRH.

I was going to flash but wigged out. When I connected my gtab to my computer it wasn't recognized (I don't remember if this is normal). So I couldn't transfer the download. No problem, I downloaded from the DRH app direct. I compared the instructions with 1.3 and then was worried that after I wiped partition my computer won't recognize my tablet in order to nvflash. Obviously I did this once before becuase I'm on 1.3 but I guess I just feel a bit rusty. Is there something I'm missing?

#10 ·
Wow even the boot animation looks crisp and buttery. Great work devs cant wait to dig into it more.

On an ICS side note, I was goofing around with trying to update the initlogo.rle last night on 1.3.2, and was able to get one to flash properly, but then during boot up I just get the birds twice. Total guess at this point but it leads me to think that something changed in the code about either the reference to the intilogo or that the current logos we have are incompatible. I read on another thread that we are seeing the birds flash twice because the framebuffer is not being loaded with the initlogo so whatever was still stored in it (the birds) is being reused. I looked into logo.c but it appears to have not been updated in the past 6 months.

I will keep digging, but rusty programming skills are really holding me back.

#12 ·
i got an error downloading data from the android mar.. i mean google play store, it tells me there is some RPC error fetching from the server. I solved it by doing the good old market fix for the gtablet, clear data and force stop the mar.. i mean googple play, clear data for google framework services, reboot the tablet, enter market again, if it asks you to retry, go and clear data force stop market again and this time it should load and u can update or download apps from the market now

#13 ·
Download the following file <--- Seriously don't skip this step unless you are 100% positive that you have a 350M system partition
Is there a simple command to check the size in terminal emulator. My linux is incomplete but would something like df tell us the size? Sorry, I don't have my g-tab with me to test and when I get home my ice cream will be melting and my jelly beans will be rolling. I continue to be amazed at what it has been possible to do with this tablet. My only regret is that I don't have the skills to participate in it. Great job Team! Time to punch the Pay Pal button again folks.

#20 ·
I found that with all the prescribed tweaks from the ICS thread, the 1.3 ROM would get laggy over time unless I cleaned the cache partition regularly. That said, in JB and 1.3.2 the cache partition is moved, so if it is still necessary I dont know if cache cleaner apps will work properly. Does the clean cache statup tweak in ROM control work for 5.0? If so I would suggest a manual reboot with this option if you feel lag creeping up on you. Seems to work well for me.

#21 ·
Is "Google Now" functional? I know there are problems with the mic although it's been reported to work longer than 8 seconds on voip apps. Even without voice recognition, I'd like to play around with Now a little more. I loaded a ROM on my samsung fascinate and it's a lot better than i expected ( after being un-wowed by Siri and Vlingo and the like), but that phone is not a daily driver for me like the gtab.

#22 ·
Just out of curiosity, is anyone having problems getting play to install purchased programs???

#23 ·
Fosser, could you please clarify if we need to "wipe the Cache and Dalvik partitions and power off the tablet" after installing the JB 5.0? I remember reading a previous comment regarding system partition 300M, that due to size limitation, it bad been moved and would be unwise to wipe after the rom install.

The reason I ask is that bit of instruction is still included in the Windows Readme First file included with the 350M NVflash file. It might need updating.

#28 ·
No problems using TiB, which seems to load backups just fine. I haven't yet tried sideloading an individual file. As far as market downloads, as the links above state, it is only for purchased content. Free downloads do not seem to be affected at all. I had to use my backup of TiB key to provide donate access, but if you mostly use free apps this shouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure how this will affect updates.

It seems from the link above that this error has been posted to the AOSP, but still has only moderate priority to fix.

#31 ·
As anything else goes, teamdrh will get it tooken care of, it was fixed in a previous alpha, I just have to be patient.

@teamdrh Great job gang, as always we are all grateful you have done what no others could do, Thank you from the bottom of our gtabs ( i mean hearts)

#34 ·
Itech post says this

[Note: If you're a Jellybean user and need a workaround to this app-corruption problem, you will need to uninstall all the paid apps from your device and download them again via Play Store. Though these apps would be installed in the unencrypted section of Android memory, it will, pretty much, resolve the issue.]

--------------
Sorry to have overtaken thread about this topic, definitely a great rom not having any real issues.

#38 ·
Just installed it. The instructions in the OP are a little light - I have installed many ROMS so I knew what to do, but the less experienced may be headed for trouble. I install from the external SD card - went fine.

As expected, the initial startup was slow, really had to give it time to recognize touches. Even as I adjusted a few things in Settings, the speed and responsiveness improved. Couple of things to note, Notifications are really loud - even after turning it all the way down in Settings. Also, icons appear to be bigger than ICS - observation only, not an issue. Miss the ROM Control options in the Settings too. Letting it "bake" now before adding apps - will update later. Second startup was 32.60 seconds (approximately).

Amazing work!

#39 ·
We are working on a brand new process right now. I'm trying to keep this as easy to read as possible. There are lots of people that dont read the full OP as it is. The new install process will be pretty slick and completely get rid of the TnT boot step.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.