ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Ok, ok.
Nice screen,
Dual Mali delivers reasonable 3D, no aa.
Slim body design

No Wifi ad-hoc mode.
No Wifi hotspot.
No Bluetooth.
No QR or camera app support.. ( could be software related, definitely not generic hardware)

Very silent community. Some nifty features would spice it up.
Considering the lack of all things the price isn't so cheap.

I'm still looking for that thing that sets it apart from the rest.
Nevertheless, It's an nice device to have.
A820 - blog 

#42 melbar79

melbar79

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Performance and screen are ok, but I wouldn't recommend this device to anyone.

The build quality is very poor.very few features( only one sensor etc.), camera weak to useless,
speakers weak, plastic very cheap and brittle, usb connector very fragile, HDMI is picky,
no hotspot, alu back is to soft, touchscreen is not very well attached, front button not programmable,
battery is way below current standard, still no Jelly Bean update, lossy usb 3G support, etc..

No Wifi ad-hoc mode.
No Wifi hotspot.
No Bluetooth.
No QR or camera app support.. ( could be software related, definitely not generic hardware)

Very silent community. Some nifty features would spice it up.
Considering the lack of all things the price isn't so cheap.

@ebsbow:
I don't know what you want! The Vi40 DualCore is a very good Tablet. Sure, it is not the device for every user, because of some special wishes of user's.
There are not many Tablet with 4:3 Formfactor & add. 32Gb internal storage available, and i'm happy with it!
Your arguments:

- poor quality.
--> It's a china tab. Don't compare it with Apple, Samsung & Co... Between the worst and the best quality of tablets "there is a grand canyon"! Other China Tablet PC have maybe less quality or a little bit better quality!

- camera weak
--> is enough for skype. You can use the smartphone camera, or better a real camera!

- speakers weak
--> already you compare it with other devices. I'm satisfy with them. It's not a critera for a tablet to have perfect stereo sound.

- usb connector fragile
--> then you have to be carefully!

- HDMI is picky
--> Never tested this connection.

- JellyBean:
--> Onda has announced it! Some Brand's will never publish a update to new android OS.

- touchscreen is not very well attached
--> I do not agree!

- front button not programmable
--> Not important (for the most users)!

- battery: below current standard
--> It's a 6000MAh battery, it's OK for the most users, there are Tablets with less and better battery stat's.

- No Wifi ad-hoc mode
--> Not necessary for me (and most other users)!

- No Wifi hotspot
--> Not necessary for me (and most other users)!

- No Bluetooth
--> If necessary, buy another tablet!

- No QR or camera app support
--> look at weak camera!

#43 RC3

RC3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationKanagawa, Japan

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi, Happy tips for Vi40.

Did you know Vi40 DC micro SD support NTFS format?
NTFS handles over 4GB in one file.
I bring for all Wikipedia data about 7GB file in Japanese.

needs
* microSDHC, NTFS format
* Wikipedia data
* EPWING app

http://en.wikipedia....tabase_download
http://sourceforge.j...ects/boookends/
  • ebsbow likes this

I have ... Vi40 Dual Core(4.1, 9.7 tab) / Vi10 Elite(4.0.3, 7 tab) / Galaxy S2(GT-I9100, 4.0.3) / Galaxy Note(SC-05D, 2.3.6, jp) / Xperia(SO-01B, 1.6, jp) / IS01(1.6, jp, hardware keyboard) / MK802(4.0.3, stick)

#44 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

@melbar79: what a load of nonsense.

The Onda is advertised as an 2012 Hight-End Chinese table!
Not Low-end or middle class device.

People come to this forum for info before they buy, not fables.

So, design and screen are nice, build materials are misleadingly weak.
Features to few, performance ok, Battery just ok.

Don't look at other devices? That is strange advice..
A820 - blog 

#45 melbar79

melbar79

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

@ebsbow

Your right. It's not a high end product. I didn't know that Onda advertised it as a high end product.
Sure, people come to this forum for information. But the info's they will get, is based on the own point of view / perspective / expectations of Onda tablet owner's.

Sure the material are not good compared to other Tablets. You' ve misunderstood me. I' ve seen the quality of IPAD2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 already.
But the price of my tablet was 58% below the IPAD2 and 45% under the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1!

You must see it relatively!

Edited by melbar79, 03 November 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#46 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

China is flooding the market with tablets, that doesn't make it easy to make an good selection.
In less then two months there where a bunch of new devices added with even better specs then the DC.

Fairly annoying if you ask me.

The DC is an good device for it's price, but there are already two new Onda's available in the same line..

You are right to see it relative, but you only know for sure what you have, when you have the device in hand.
The lack of information is an big factor there. Which is now partially given to future potential buyers of the brand.

Don't get me wrong. I am still going to enjoy it, even though I know it's limits.
Price is also relative if you know what people earn in China.
A820 - blog 

#47 melbar79

melbar79

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Yes, i agree with you. Materials are not the best, but overall the device is not bad.

Yesterday i had the new IPAD mini in my hands! Material quality quite good, but the price (for the 32Gb model) should be more than 2x compared to the Vi40.

What do you mean with? :

, but there are already two new Onda's available in the same line..

The new quad core with retina display Onda announced 2012-10-19?
http://www.onda-tabl...android-tablet/
On the third picture, the tablet looks like our Vi40?!

#48 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

It is not meeting current Western standards. That said, this device is ok.

Screen is of a nice size, it's a very bright IPS( I use it mostly at a very low setting)
Performance is ok. The 1.5Ghz Dual Core and Dual Mali400 run good, and for the moment fast enough.
It runs just about anything at respectable framerate.

Battery live is good if you are not doing to much active stuff.
If the brightness goes up then the battery goes down exponentially, as is with all Chinese devices.
Nevertheless in performance mode, the battery can last from 3 to 5 hours depending on what you are doing.
Gaming isn't that big of a power consumer relatively speaking, Wifi and brightness are the big power consumers.
And so are active background apps and badly programmed apps.

Charging the battery is best done by using the 2 Amp wall charger and not the mini-usb connector. Mine loads
full at around 3 hours, that is not so bad. Using the computer to load, or an other then 2 amp charger will take for ever.
Don't know if the battery is of good quality, and if it will perform at its top after 6 months.
We will see, there is no guaranty.

The outer design of the device is great, but not well executed. Materials are of low quality to us westerners.
Plastic used is to brittle and the aluminum back, which feels nice in hand, is prone to scratches easily. To easy.
It's not an heavy device and is well balanced. The button on the front isn't programmable ( out of the box)

Internet and browsing are no problem. This is for most part software, and so far everything I need doing online works.
You may need different browsers for the job though.
Working over Wifi is ok, but I guess that depends on where you are. I live in the city, and I can detect anything
that the Wifi card is capable of. That is, devices far and close. Though some ad-hoc connections don't work, some exotic
adapters are not compatible for some reason.
Wifi stops when the device goes to sleep, that is software related.( The adapter does perform better then some Chinese
Wifi N sticks I have tested)
Streaming audio and video works great, though the connection does drop from time to time Don't know if that is hardware
or software related.

The speakers are only good if the 'room' is cleared of noise. Using it in open spaces is useless. Thats is an little bummer,
but you can use external speakers.. Quality of the sound is ok, meaning not crappy, just very basic. Using headphones is an
other solution.

It should be said that features are not abundant. Only a G-sensor. No GPS, no 3G, no BT, no FM, no compass, no QR( so sad) etc..
There is limited support using the mini-usb connector. So fa anything I own didn't work. Also you have to use an OTG cable, not
just any usb cable.
The Camera is there but just about useless, to weak to anything. Unless you use it for skype and are used to low quality pictures.
It is not capable to run an QR app, or any other camera app for that matter. Again, just very basic.

Also basic is HDMI. And again not with just any cable and not in dual mode. It does run in HD mode and something that should be 1080p.
It probably depends on what device you use this option and framerates drop by 20%-30% depending on what you are doing.
Tested this on acer 1080p monitor and an HD beamer using a 5 meter and 30 cm 1.4 cables. Effect is the same.

Saying that this is an cheap device is open for debate. If you look at what it does not do then the prices is not that cheap.
If you take into account that this is marketed as an High-end Chinese device for the Chinese market then it is expensive
for what it is.

In any case, you should not be ashamed to own it though. It is exotic( as in unknown), doesn't looks bad, almost slick.
The screen is nice, performance is respectable. You may even impress people, surely those who know Chinese tablets
only by hearsay, and some others too.

If you look at Chinese tablets on the market today, then you will find that this is definitely one of the better ones.
Though they should up the specs and build quality.

Edited by ebsbow, 25 November 2012 - 11:13 AM.

A820 - blog 

#49 valkoz

valkoz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

It is not meeting current Western standards. That said, this device is ok.

Screen is of a nice size, it's a very bright IPS( I use it mostly at a very low setting)
Performance is ok. The 1.5Ghz Dual Core and Dual Mali400 run good, and for the moment fast enough.
It runs just about anything at respectable framerate.

Battery live is good if you are not doing to much active stuff.
If the brightness goes up then the battery goes down exponentially, as is with all Chinese devices.
Nevertheless in performance mode, the battery can last from 3 to 5 hours depending on what you are doing.
Gaming isn't that big of a power consumer relatively speaking, Wifi and brightness are the big power consumers.
And so are active background apps and badly programmed apps.

Charging the battery is best done by using the 2 Amp wall charger and not the mini-usb connector. Mine loads
full at around 3 hours, that is not so bad. Using the computer to load, or an other then 2 amp charger will take for ever.
Don't know if the battery is of good quality, and if it will perform at its top after 6 months. We will see, there is no guaranty.

The outer design of the device is great, but not well executed. Materials are of low quality to us westerners.
Plastic used is to brittle and the aluminum back, which feels nice in hand, is prone to scratches easily. To easy.
It's not an heavy device and is well balanced. The button on the front isn't programmable which is an miser.

Internet and browsing are no problem. This is for most part software, and so far everything I need doing online works.
You may need different browsers for the job though.
Working over Wifi is ok, but I guess that depends on where you are. I live in the city, and I can detect anything
that the Wifi card is capable of. That is, devices far and close. Though some ad-hoc connections don't work, some exotic adapters are not compatible for some reason.
Wifi stops when the device goes to sleep, that is software related.( The adapter does perform better then some Chinese Wifi N sticks I have tested)
Streaming audio and video works great, though the connection does drop from time to time Don't know if that is hardware or software related.

The speakers are only good if the 'room' is cleared of noise. Using it in open spaces is useless. Thats is an little bummer, but you can
use external speakers.. Quality of the sound is ok, meaning not crappy, just very basic. Using headphones is an other solution.

It should be said that features are not abundant. Only a G-sensor. No GPS, no 3G, no BT, no FM, no compass, no QR( so sad) etc..
There is limited support using the mini-usb connector. So fa anything I own didn't work. Also you have to use an OTG cable, not just any usb cable.
The Camera is there but just about useless, to weak to anything. Unless you use it for skype and are used to low quality pictures.
It is not capable to run an QR app, or any other camera app for that matter. Again, just very basic.

Also basic is HDMI. And again not with just any cable and not in dual mode. It does run in HD mode and something that should be 1080p.
It probably depends on what device you use this option and framerates drop by 20%-30% depending on what you are doing.
Tested this on acer 1080p monitor and an HD beamer using a 5 meter and 30 cm 1.4 cables. Effect is the same.

Saying that this is an cheap device is open for debate. If you look at what it does not do then the prices is not that cheap.
If you take into account that this is marketed as an High-end Chinese device for the Chinese market then it is expensive for what it is.

In any case, you should not be ashamed to own it though. It is exotic( as in unknown), doesn't looks bad, almost slick. The screen is nice, performance is respectable. You may even impress people, surely those who know Chinese tablets only by hearsay, and some others too.

If you look at Chinese tablets on the market today, then you will find that this is definitely one of the better ones.
Though they should up the specs and build quality.

Great analysis! Thank you!

Some words:

- Onda tablets are the best in low price range (my opinion)

- Cost about usd150 allows many people to change such tablet every 6 months (next year quad core shall start)

- Cheap price allows to avoid many household problems - for example, I don't afraid what my cheap tab will be stolen, scratched by my baby, so on
(My niece is still upset that her iPad3 64Gb+4G with superb pink cover drowned :rolleyes: )

- Regarding 3G - I can advice such device as Mi-Fi (Google it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi) - I use it for internet connection and wireless printing.
It has his own battery, so doesn't waste tab's battery as internal 3G-4G modems. Cost near usd50, allows to use 5 wireless devices simultaneously, cheaper than internal 3G-4G.

- To increase battery time use "Power pack" - 10000mAH allows to use tab about 24 hours. Cost near usd40.

Connor

Attached Files

• Attached File  973.jpg   14.63KB   11 downloads
  • Attached File  974.jpg   11.87KB   12 downloads

Edited by valkoz, 11 November 2012 - 10:47 PM.

don't want to argue - want to discuss

#50 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Your welcome valkoz :)

Paid mine about €220( delivered) for 32Gb version when it came out.( $150 would have been better :)

Actually I use the htc hotspot from my mobile on the road that can support up to 10 users at a time.
Problem is that I also have an contract that comes with two Huawei E173 3G sticks.
But I can not get it to work on the Vi40. 3G Works.

They also have Huawei E5832 which is from the same company as the MiFi, as I just found out
through your link, which cost 50% more. Interesting.

Maybe we can replace the battery and put in an 10000mah.. If there are suitable ones available that fit the cover.

Edited by ebsbow, 13 November 2012 - 06:30 AM.

A820 - blog 

#51 valkoz

valkoz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Your welcome valkoz :)

Paid mine about $220( delivered) for 32Gb version when it came out.( $150 would have been better :)

Actually I use the htc hotspot from my mobile on the road that can support up to 10 users at a time.
Problem is that I also have an contract that comes with two Huawei E173 3G sticks.
But I can not get it to work on the Vi40.

They also have Huawei E5832 which is from the same company as the MiFi, as I just found out
through your link, which cost 50% more. Interesting.

Maybe we can replace the battery and put in an 10000mah.. If there are suitable ones available that fit the cover.

Power Pack is an external battery like for iPad - do not need to replace. It has adapters for most laptops, phones, tablets.

#52 melbar79

melbar79

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

If you take into account that this is marketed as an High-end Chinese device for the Chinese market then it is expensive for what it is.

Yes maybe, but i think, when we will buy this chinese tablet as western customer, we compare it with the tablets released in our country.
For me the following 3 factors are important:
- CPU power, IPS screen :lol:
- price :D
- storage :good:
Finally it's not a 'jack of all trades device', the compromise are the choosen materials...

- Onda tablets are the best in low price range (my opinion)

- Cost about usd150 allows many people to change such tablet every 6 months (next year quad core shall start)

Well, i paid 199 USD for my 32Gb version. Additionally i ordered a stand-case, 32Gb micro sd-card, OTG-cable. With shipping i paid 301 USD = 251 EUR.
For comparison: a friend paid for his Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (1.0Ghz dual-core Tegra2 CPU, with honeycomp :rofl: ), only the tablet, around 438 USD = 365 EUR.

#53 valkoz

valkoz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

Yes maybe, but i think, when we will buy this chinese tablet as western customer, we compare it with the tablets released in our country.
For me the following 3 factors are important:
- CPU power, IPS screen :lol:
- price :D
- storage :good:
Finally it's not a 'jack of all trades device', the compromise are the choosen materials...

Well, i paid 199 USD for my 32Gb version. Additionally i ordered a stand-case, 32Gb micro sd-card, OTG-cable. With shipping i paid 301 USD = 251 EUR.
For comparison: a friend paid for his Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (1.0Ghz dual-core Tegra2 CPU, with honeycomp :rofl: ), only the tablet, around 438 USD = 365 EUR.

Yes, you're right.

Maybe, for me the right priorities are:

- good support (or big community)
- price (due to big progress in ARM devices, vi40 dual core isn't a final tab, iPad didn't show progress in the new models)
- screen IPS - sure! (onda started tabs with Retina display)
- CPU - yes, dual core enough, single core is lol now

Link to ARM review site: http://armdevices.net/ - many interesting things

#54 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

+1 on Good Service.

Yes I know, valkoz, but putting in an new battery is more convenient.
Although there is this project that adds an battery pack on the back using an ipad sleeve.
A820 - blog