Happy with your Vi40?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 mat.x

mat.x

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

hello what firmware do you recommend for onda vi40?

#22 jsb1978

jsb1978

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Hi, I received mine on friday and spent a lot of time fiddling with it! I like it but it has given me some grief so wouldn't recommend it for anyone not familiar with flashing etc. Mine came with 0711 firmware installed which worked great up until connecting via usb where it would hang while disconnecting and not remount the internal memory card properly.. updating to latest resolved this but the play store didn't work. After a lot of fiddling using the recommended methods I got it working and all seems good again. Youtube now installs from store ok etc and the only thing I've noticed by I'm not 100% on this is that the performance doesn't appear as good through the latest but I might be wrong on that.
Battery life isn't fantastic and when I updated firmware it reset to 0% even though it had 100% but kept it on charge and used battery calibration so that should be ok now, I hope after a few charges it'll even out but getting about 3-4 hours so far but that's at 100% brightness and wifi so will tone it down and see what happens.
Overall it's a great tablet for the price, well built and sturdy and runs well, browsing I have issues with embedded videos that don't play in the window properly so have to go full screen to see it which is a little strange but not a huge issue and that's in chrome, dolphin and stock browser. If battery life improves and we get the jb update I'll be very happy and for the price I can't really complain either.

#23 Acoustic

Acoustic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

The first Vi40 dual core I bought was faulty and had issues with sound and the SD card. Seems like there are a few fixes for these issues now, but shows build quality isn't fantastic. The replacement tablet has been rock solid and has not suffered from the same issues. For the price its not too shabby and I don't think people should expect much more from a tablet at this sort of price range :)

#24 Lankafoaz

Lankafoaz

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

I think it's good for it's price but am not very satisfied, that cause of the browser is somehow slow. I have the cortex 8 one.

#25 Kimmen00

Kimmen00

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

The singel core is sooo much slower than the dual cortex 9..

#26 Fady Asha

Fady Asha

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

Many thanks inky202020, very useful guidance. I feel I am taking one step forward and two steps back. I failed to download ES File explorer from Play Store (kept getting 101 error message - which seems common ocurrence). Managed to download ES from androidzoom.com successfully, however when I selcted Delete for each individual app I get the message 'cannot delete this app. I don't have a Sd card installed yet, and cannot see there are attributes set against the apps stopping me deleting them. I will not throw the Onda in the sea yet, but it is becoming a serious possiblity!!

I use system tuner app which allows you to do all sorts of things including uninstalling pre-installed apps.

#27 Liquidin

Liquidin

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

You guys recommend buying this tablet or U30GT Cube?

Or is there another tablet with the same specs and the same price range?

Thanks

#28 Liquidin

Liquidin

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Nobody?

#29 JBates

JBates

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

I bought myself a tablet last week.
After going around in several forums and talking with several sellers I ended up with a shortlist with:
- Onda Vi40 Dual Core
- Onda V971
- Teclast A10 Dual Core
- Cube U30
- SmartQ T20 (The T30 is more expensive then what I wanted)

I got to this list because of their specs and what people told me in terms of failure rate (problems after the first few months, lack of drivers, bad manufacturer support, etc. etc.). So after considering all that, I chose a store with good reputation and good prices and proceeded to have a chat in more detail with the seller presenting him with this list and asking wich one was the most reliable.
He told me that, from his experience, the 2 most reliable models would be the Onda Vi40 DC an the Teclast A10 since he never had any of those units returned with any problems. The V971 is the same hardware as the Vi40DC with an extra camera and no volume buttons, so it's probably as reliable as the Vi40 but it's such a new model so he couldn't assure me that.
I liked the aesthetics of the V971 better because I like as less buttons as possible, so I went for the V971. But I was severely undecided between the V971 and the Vi40 up to the last moment.

I'm not naming the seller since I don't know if I'm supposed to turn our chat public, so, just take this as being my opinion. :)

My tablet is still in Customs so I didn't try it yet... Posted Image

Edited by JBates, 06 September 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#30 fugitoid

fugitoid

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

I was happy with my Onda vi40 dual core. After flashing firmware, when battery runs out it will not charge. I've had to boot into safe mode (not easy) and do factory reset. Twice. On third attempt now.

I've been looking at this forum and there are very few topics. Which leads me to believe that either the Vi40 isn't a very popular choice among SD members, OR that there are few issues and concerns with it.

Those individuals who own and/or use a Vi40, do you like it? Do you prefer a different tablet? If you could do it all over again, would you choose Onda?

And as a follow up, why don't you like it, or why do you enjoy it?

I'm still researching China Brand tablets, and being a poor soldier, I don't want to waste money on something I wouldn't be happy with.

#31 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

So fare I am still happy with m the Vi40 Dual Core after flashing it.
Its an nice device, design is good, runs smooth, 32Gb space +sd space
bright Ips screen. It's an good buy.

What is de deference between the Vi40 DC and the V971 besides the dual camera?
The look the same, also seem to have the same specs?

Edited by ebsbow, 15 September 2012 - 02:34 PM.

A820 - blog 

#32 hereu

hereu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

The V971 has no physical volume buttons.

Not sure if the battery is the same either.

#33 JBates

JBates

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

According to the specs it's the same battery.

Only differences:

- Dual camera
- No physical volume buttons
- "Home" button displaced from the front to the bottom of the device (next to the USB ports).

Mine is still catching up dust in customs, but I hope to be able to give you a little comparative review in a few days... I hope...

#34 Sopper

Sopper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

I am still very happy with the VI40dc.
Especially the long lasting battery makes it shine :drinks:
With wifi ON, it will last over 8 hours, i charge it ones in 2-3 days, amazing.

Waiting eagerly for firmware 1.5
Onda VI40 Dual Core (Modded 1.5 Repack)
Onda VI30 Dual Core (Modded 1.5 Repack)
Onda V711 Dual Core (Official 1.5 Firmware)
Teclast P85 Dual Core (Official JB 2.00 firmware)
Zenithink C97 Dual Core (Official 4.1 JB firmware)

#35 sas007

sas007

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

I am still very happy with the VI40dc.
Especially the long lasting battery makes it shine :drinks:
With wifi ON, it will last over 8 hours, i charge it ones in 2-3 days, amazing.

Waiting eagerly for firmware 1.5

Hi 1.5 out for vi30dc so maybe not to long
live by chance
love by choice

#36 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

Yes, the battery is the same.
The dual camera's on the V791 are better, and also the removal of the volume buttons.
Not sure about the removal of the Home button. Kind of like it remapped to wakeup.

Kind of miss an back camera on the Vi40DC though, it's so convenient to QR etc.

Edited by ebsbow, 16 September 2012 - 11:02 AM.

A820 - blog 

#37 jockboyo1234

jockboyo1234

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

more than happy now my apps are all sorted

#38 Helikeon

Helikeon

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

I am extremely happy with my Onda Vi40 dual core tablet, which I have had for approximately three months now.

I have installed many English apps without any problems whatsoever, battery life is good as is wi-fi range.

No complaints at all and I certainly recommend it to those who are in the market for a tablet device.

#39 ebsbow

ebsbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • LocationBE

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Performance and screen are ok, but I wouldn't recommend this device to anyone.

The build quality is very poor.very few features( only one sensor etc.), camera weak to useless,
speakers weak, plastic very cheap and brittle, usb connector very fragile, HDMI is picky,
no hotspot, alu back is to soft, touchscreen is not very well attached, front button not programmable,
battery is way below current standard, still no Jelly Bean update, lossy usb 3G support, etc..

Just being wicket.

A820 - blog 

#40 RC3

RC3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationKanagawa, Japan

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hi, from Japan

YES, happy with Vi40 Dual Core

1. low cost
2. screen size. i have Vi10 7inch too.
3. so-so spec

BUT, Vi40 Dual Core has really Wi-Fi Direct Function??
ONDA support said "Vi40 Dual Core support Wi-Fi Direct"
my Vi40 firmware 1.4 has no Wi-Fi Direct...

Anyone knows this??

I have ... Vi40 Dual Core(4.1, 9.7 tab) / Vi10 Elite(4.0.3, 7 tab) / Galaxy S2(GT-I9100, 4.0.3) / Galaxy Note(SC-05D, 2.3.6, jp) / Xperia(SO-01B, 1.6, jp) / IS01(1.6, jp, hardware keyboard) / MK802(4.0.3, stick)