A10 totally bricked, please help!

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 unitearica

unitearica

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

The 741E firmware from the Craig page has notably killed MANY units, @chi-town. So many in fact (as that is what happened to my sons unit) that if/when you can get a hold of someone at Craig's service dept, the first thing they say is that they are experiencing a high number of calls and issues at the moment and may not be able to respond for quite some time. Essentially they released a firmware upgrade that allows the 741E unit to be upgraded via the micro-usb drive as long as it is used by their provided program to format the card into android and then load the scripted files on tot he card. This would be fine, EXCEPT, the PheonixCard program they provide in the download doesnt work 3/4 of the time.

A lot of people tried different routes to install the upgrade, by which killing/bricking their units. If they installed the firmware directly to their tablet, that firmware by Craig (as it is in the image file) is scripted to just cycle an install over and over (while failing) as it it thinks the main storage for the device is actually the sd card. So many ppl have done this in fact that specific stores which carried these unit over Christmas were told NOT to take any more back and not to sell their remaining units unless they only had a few left. Even then, they had to sell them at discount. My 741E only cost my $25 due to these issues. However, now I cant get my sons fixed at all and these stores will not be carrying this model to trade and/or replace. The store's policy prevents return and they sya contact the manufactuer for replacement. Craig says take it back to the store as they wont replace it without you sending them the old unit, $, and paying for return shippping (in all, they want about as much as a new unit costs).

Connect your tablet to your computer. If the computer beeps (usb device connected sound), push the power button until the computer beeps again (usb device disconnected sound). Now disconnect the tablet, fire up Livesuite and select the firmware for your device. Push a button on your tablet (volume-, menu, whatever) and keep it pushed. Connect the usb cable again and immediately start giving quick pushes on the power button, while still holding the other button. When the computer beeps, you can release everything. LiveSuite now should recognize your device in update mode and start updating.

If you can't get LiveSuite to correctly recognize the update mode, try the whole procedure on another computer, preferrably XP 32-bits.

@squirrel Thanks for the reply. Yea, I have tried that on this pc several times over. I think I may have to try this whole process on a different pc than (I havent tried that yet). It's weird cause currently I can use this pc (netbook)to connect and fix several other tablets thanks to you guys here at Slatedroid. And like I said, it worked for this tablet once. It still works for my other tablets of the same make and model, just not this one tablet. I'll try on a different pc and see if it works.

#42 chi-town

chi-town

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

[quote name='unitearica' timestamp='1358085295' post='492745']
The 741E firmware from the Craig page has notably killed MANY units, @chi-town. So many in fact (as that is what happened to my sons unit) that if/when you can get a hold of someone at Craig's service dept, the first thing they say is that they are experiencing a high number of calls and issues at the moment and may not be able to respond for quite some time. Essentially they released a firmware upgrade that allows the 741E unit to be upgraded via the micro-usb drive as long as it is used by their provided program to format the card into android and then load the scripted files on tot he card. This would be fine, EXCEPT, the PheonixCard program they provide in the download doesnt work 3/4 of the time.

A lot of people tried different routes to install the upgrade, by which killing/bricking their units. If they installed the firmware directly to their tablet, that firmware by Craig (as it is in the image file) is scripted to just cycle an install over and over (while failing) as it it thinks the main storage for the device is actually the sd card. So many ppl have done this in fact that specific stores which carried these unit over Christmas were told NOT to take any more back and not to sell their remaining units unless they only had a few left. Even then, they had to sell them at discount. My 741E only cost my $25 due to these issues. However, now I cant get my sons fixed at all and these stores will not be carrying this model to trade and/or replace. The store's policy prevents return and they sya contact the manufactuer for replacement. Craig says take it back to the store as they wont replace it without you sending them the old unit, $, and paying for return shippping (in all, they want about as much as a new unit costs).

--
Thanks for the response unitearica. I initially had problems with the phoneixcard program recognizing my microsd card as a valid card to install their program. After a few trials I found out that if I disconnected all other usb devices on my computer, except the mircosd card, the program worked. Craig support asked me to mail these in to them and wait 4 to 6 weeks for a resolution. They would not troubleshoot over the phone I am wondering if I found a working 741E unit and was able to make a back up image, would it work if I transferred it on mine. So far I have not found a compatible image file for a couple of A10 devices. I really would like to keep these units and not return them. If you find a working image file, please do share. Hope the unplugging usb devices trick works for you.

#43 unitearica

unitearica

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

ok, reply disappeared, if it reappears I apologize for the dbl post.

Not sure Chi. There are some who are trying to get a working IMG file, just no success as of yet. Few have had results installing the Gooseberry project (no touch scrren thoug, but mouse support works). If someone gets a working IMG file for it, it would certainly fix a bunch of problems that ppl are having.

#44 chi-town

chi-town

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

yep got it working with Gooseberry (no touchscreen). Plugged in usb mouse and it worked :)
I am thinking of getting an inexpensive usb port hub to expand it (mouse, hard drive, power to charge the unit?). Would that work?

#45 unitearica

unitearica

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

pending the hub, sometimes hubs won't charge a unit, they'll usually maintain power, but wont charge (again, pending the hub). However, there is talk (from a few having installed Gooseberry) that the sd reader will now take an IMG update instead of an exploded script update from an android formatted sdcard. If this is the csae, you might be able to find the original boot IMG from somewhere on the net (I found one before it disappeared BUT not the bootloader.img). However, if someone does have a unit that they can backup their IMG of and send it, you should be able to re-init the img file back to factory restore of the Craig 4.0.3 system.

#46 chi-town

chi-town

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

unitearica: Thanks for all your help! I am keeping an eye out for the original image file or one from a clone.

#47 ajrimmer42

ajrimmer42

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

Hi guys, I've been trying to install a new ROM on my girlfriend's VS Touchtab 7 which I believe is just a clone of the LY-F1. I've tried flashing both a custom ROM and the official firmware update using Livesuit but couldn't get it to work, Livesuit just locked up. I tried it with a number of different versions, on 4 different computers, 2 XP and 2 Windows 7 machines to no avail.

I did manage to get CwM Recovery onto it and flashed a Cyanogen 9 ROM onto it which was designed for the LY-F1 however since doing that the tablet will not boot up. I have tried holding the power button for a while, and I've tried the reset button too. I just get a blank screen and no response. The PC does however detect it when I plug in the USB and the blue charging light comes on. I've tried leaving it in this mode for a few days to let it discharge but that did not work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

#48 RC300

RC300

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

I'm stuck with a McPad F1 A13 tablet at the moment.
Update mode is no more recognized by any PC.

http://www.techknow....hp?topic=4704.0

Hi,

I have 2 McPad F1(worse site ever) and played with firmwares.
I managed to bring back to life one of the 2 tablets with Q8A13_51324 firmware: fyi the model displayed in "about" was "A13 MID"
Now, the second one is different, the model displayed was something like "DL A13" (don't remember exactly) and I didn't manage to find out a correct firmware: display was either shifted or the touchscreen was erratic.
Since yesterday, I don't even manage to put the tablet in DFU mode: I get only one bip from USB attach (2 bips before), so LiveSuit or PhoenixUSBPro doesn't start anymore. And in normal start mode, the tablet is stuck on the green android logo (got it before but always managed to go through with another firmware attempt).

Anybody encountered this ? How to enter DFU mode again ? Any other way (welding direct connections on PCB .... ) ?

#49 Squirrel61

Squirrel61

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Try keeping the power button pressed for at least 20 seconds, then retry the LiveSuit connection procedure. When that doesn't help, drain the battery. Or if you're daring, open the tablet and disconnect the battery. The A10/A13 are really unbrickable, but as you can read in the first post of this thread, it sometimes can be hard to get it in update mode, depending on what went wrong.
Looking for an electronics repair service in The Netherlands?
Spelcomputers Flevoland
For repair of PSP, NDS, Wii, PS3, Computers, Laptops, Cell Phones and much more.

#50 Bashir Soomro

Bashir Soomro

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

Update: somehow I got it working again! I deliberately let the battery totally drain by putting it in "unrecognized USB device mode", which should have been "USB firmware update mode" and letting it rest until I was pretty sure the battery should be flat. Then I charged it for some time and tried to re-enter the firmware update mode. And magically, all of a sudden it worked!

The best guess I can make is that somehow, the A10 had been messed up and needed to be out of power to reset (Yes, I tried both reset buttons, the one hidden behind the small peephole and the secret one that has no peephole at all but becomes available after opening the case. And that didn't restore the USB firmware update mode).

Case closed

Thankyou for helping everyone , I have Xtouch(allwinner A-10 ) Device , my device was locked due to attempt wrong passwords then i decide to flash , after some unsuccessful attempt then i am able to connect with livesuit with the help of your post , now i can successfuly upgrade my firmware but when it finished the upgrade, the livesuit is keep asking me to update again and again and Now my tablet is dead i can only access recovery mode , No screen and now i even unsold the battery connection to refresh but still stuck in no screen only recovery mode ,,,,,, Please help me ,,,,,,

Even without battery The tablet is also detected by computer and process the livesuit , i can feel the A8 Cortex chip is getting warm when livesuit is performing some task .....please help

#51 Squirrel61

Squirrel61

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have a tablet with the same behaviour. I haven't yet found out how to exit the recovery loop. But if there's a micro-sd card inserted, remove it and try to reboot. If it still enters recovery, I don't have a solution yet.
Spelcomputers Flevoland
For repair of PSP, NDS, Wii, PS3, Computers, Laptops, Cell Phones and much more.

#52 sleeperx

sleeperx

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

Hello, Can anyone help me??

I have a aigo m60 tablet, my tablet Internal Memory becomes 0.00B and now I can't install any apps. I tried factory reset but I just freeze at a android icon. I can't go to recovery mode as it freeze at the same android icon. I tried using Livesuit but when I pluck in my tablet it becomes not responding.

For more information please go to :

It's a video I made. PLEASE HELP ME.

#53 kurai

kurai

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

hi Squirrel61

i want to ask if you can help me on that
i have tablet visual land prestige 10, i wanted to flash it with livesuit. i installed drivers for it and everything i installed livesui, i started the flash after it get to i dont remeber how many per cent it gives me upgrade failed so i took the usb cable out i tried to turn it on but it didnt, i clicked on the reset button nothing happened, when i connect it to the computer again i heard the usb sound that it connected but it give unrocgnized. i tried to do the flash again but it stop at 3% and it shows upgrade failed with message in defferent caracters chnises or japanese.

thank you

#54 twelvefrog3

twelvefrog3

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

hello my name is twelvefrog3 the reason am writting this is because I bought a versus touchpad 7 which I believe is in the group of allwinner a10 devices.

basically since it Comes pre rooted I deviced to install cwm recovery and of course everything went well. but then when rebooted I could not mount anything and I could not install anything I was stuck in recovery. when I rebooted I still stuck in recovery so I decided to dissamble I just did and I didn't touch anything and I pressed Reset and nothing happened so I went to www.versusuk.com found an original system.img and downloaded livesuit there but when I used it it started then reached 3 percent but then everytime it goes up to 4 it went back to 0 and now I can't boot my tablet or in cwm recovery.

I sometimes connct it to pc but i get usb device not recognised and when I hold power for a long time and try updating firmware I get only up to 3 percent and stops at 4 and goes back to 0

please help I just got this device

#55 Squirrel61

Squirrel61

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

You need to re-download the firmware file or download it somewhere else, because when the updating stops before reaching 100%, it's usually because of a corrupted firmware file.
Spelcomputers Flevoland

#56 eSlaier++

eSlaier++

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hi, i have a LY-F1 clone with A10 All-winner. I tried to flash CM10 by flashing CM9 then CM10, the whole procedure, wipe data, wipe dalvik, choose update, flash CM, flash GApps etc. I installed it by using CWM 6(don't remember exactly which version exactly). The first time it finished well, but the touch didn't work and the buttons where swapped. Then using a mouse, i downloaded a NOV07 tools to boot in recovery and restore to the previous Android 4.0.4.

At this point, i feel confident(don't really sure why) to flash again, the whole procedure again, but then this time i applied the patch, the 'lyf1_compatibility_1.1.0.zip', and this time the CM10 boot image(the spinning one) is stuck in an infinite loop, and the WORST is that the hardware buttons are swapped again, and cant enter recovery not flash mode.

I have the Chinese 'img' and LiveSuit, but i need to enter en flash mode to flash the image again.

Anyone knows another way to flash the image, enter recovery, or an 'spell' to restore the hardware buttons?

Thank you, for your assistance.

#57 Squirrel61

Squirrel61

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Entering flash mode is pretty easy, except for the timing. Just make sure the tablet is OFF. If it's already in flash mode, it appears off, but it's still on, so to make sure it is off, push the power button for at least 20 secs. Disconnect the USB cable if it is still connected, fire up LiveSuit on your computer and load the img file.

Then press any button except the power button and keep it pressed. Now connect the USB cable while still keeping the button pressed and rapidly give short pushes on the power button. The tablet is now supposed to enter flash mode. If that doesn't work, throw it in a drawer for at least a week to make sure the battery is completely drained, then charge it for a few minutes using only the wall charger and then repeat the procedure to enter flash mode.

It doesn't really matter which button you're keeping pressed so even if buttons are swapped, you should still be able to enter flash mode. Only keep in mind that the buttons do need to be physical buttons, so only volume+ and volume- can be used, not the capacitive screen buttons.
Spelcomputers Flevoland

#58 eSlaier++

eSlaier++

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Is there a signal or something that displays to know when is already in flash mode?

#59 Mach10

Mach10

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hey there

I have a M1000d a10 based tablet and I royally screwed it up... I tried to install cwm recovery and with success however cwm always boots and not the actual os, on top of things I noticed that I can't mount or unmount anything but the external SD card... Any ideas what I can do? I use this thing for work and it's really needed by Monday.....

Thanks in advanced

#60 Squirrel61

Squirrel61

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:17 AM

Find a factory firmware and flash that using LiveSuit, then it should be working again.
Spelcomputers Flevoland