Onda Vi30 dual core

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 zychen

zychen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

hello! i bought a ONDA VI30 Dual Core Version Tablet PC 6,800pesos @www.ebuyph.com

Amlogic AML8726-MX, 1.2GHz (up to 1.5 GHz), Cortex A9 dual core; GPU: Mali 400 MP2
1GB (DDR 3)
8GB Nand Flash
Front camera, 3.0 megapixels
Yes, 5 points touch
6500 MAh

my question is, why is the battery life drains so quickly? my ainol novo7 tornado outlast my onda vi30 dual core.
the retailer i bought it in updated the firmware to june or july, i cant exactly remember. i Just bought it, a week ago.
i bought it specificly for 6500mah but im so dissapointed at the battery life.

also wondering if they gave me the right product? ONDA VI30 Dual Core Version Tablet PC Android 4.0 8 Inch HD Screen 8GB Ultra Thin HDMI Camera,is what i bought(6500MAH). the box case is all in chinese. It's been bothering me so much, because the battery life is horrendous. The battery drains so quickly, even if the brightness is 30% and volume 30%, with light application. it doesnt even vibrate. My ainol novo7 tornado has vibrate and outlast onda vi30 dual core. WTF?
What is 5 point multi touch? i dont see a difference when i game? compared to 2 point multitouch?

ainol novo7 tornado 3,900pesos onda vi30 dual core 6,800pesos
please help!

Hi, Nathan.

I am very doubtful that the battery is actually 6500mAH. There are a lot of sellers that purposely give inaccurate information to lead people to buy from them. One figure that they change the most is the battery capacity. Some of those non-branded tablets or so called OEM do have various battery configurations but this is Onda, a rather established brand. If you go to their website and look up Onda Vi30 dual core version, the battery is actually 4400mAH. From checking on various china tablets and talking to sellers, 7-8" range usually sports battery between 3000++mAH up to 5000++mAH, those over 6000mAH are usually the 9.7" or 10.1" tablets. Another thing, the front camera is 0.3 megapixel, good enough for video chat. You don't even get 3.0 megapixel (0.3M,1.3M and 2M are the norms) on laptop webcams, all the more on this low priced tablet. You should complain to the seller for giving the wrong information.

5 point multi touch means you can have maximum of 5 touches registered at the same time on the screen... A lot of games and applications don't need more than 2 point touch except for a few types of games/apps like:

e.g. in Fruit Ninja, if you have 5 point touch, it means you can you can use 5 fingers to slice at the same time.
in a Piano app, if you have 10 point touch, means you call play the piano with 10 fingers pressed down on 10 different keys.

Edited by zychen, 29 July 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#22 zychen

zychen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Since the download speed from the official site is ridiculously slow, I have uploaded the v1.1 official update to mediafire file sharing site. Note that the free to use mediafire account limits to 200MB per file. So I split it into 2 tar files (Vi30D_v1.1.tar.001 and Vi30D_v1.1.tar.002). You can use free compression tool like 7zip to untar them (via first file, Vi30D_v1.1.tar.001) into 1 original rar file. The link to the folder is here:

Onda Vi30 Dual Core Official Firmware Update

Once you have the single rar file. You can unzip/unrar it and you will notice there is a MS Word document in chinese which actually contains the instructions to update the firmware. What it basically says is this:

(PERSONAL WARNING: please backup your important files, steps below can be repeated if unsuccessful but not your files stored in the main memory)

1. Have a microSD or TF card ready with enough space (214MB for v1.1). If its not already in FAT or FAT32 format, format it accordingly.

2. Copy the unzipped files to the root of the microSD/TF card either via a card reader or through USB cable in disk mode. Then, of course have the card inserted into the tablet if its not already there.

3. Power down the tablet. Hold down the home button and at the same time push the power button to boot. Once the machine boots (I guess no harm waiting a bit), while still holding down the home button, release the power button. You will then see the screen like the screen shot shown in (4.) in the document. Once you see the progress bar indicating its updating, you may release the home button.

3. The tablet automatically reboots after update is completed.

4. Enjoy! (ADDED BY ME)

Edited by zychen, 30 July 2012 - 12:13 AM.

#23 wildwilly

wildwilly

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

Since the download speed from the official site is ridiculously slow, I have uploaded the v1.1 official update to mediafire file sharing site. Note that the free to use mediafire account limits to 200MB per file. So I split it into 2 tar files (Vi30D_v1.1.tar.001 and Vi30D_v1.1.tar.002). You can use free compression tool like 7zip to untar them (via first file, Vi30D_v1.1.tar.001) into 1 original rar file. The link to the folder is here:

Onda Vi30 Dual Core Official Firmware Update

Once you have the single rar file. You can unzip/unrar it and you will notice there is a MS Word document in chinese which actually contains the instructions to update the firmware. What it basically says is this:

(PERSONAL WARNING: please backup your important files, steps below can be repeated if unsuccessful but not your files stored in the main memory)

1. Have a microSD or TF card ready with enough space (214MB for v1.1). If its not already in FAT or FAT32 format, format it accordingly.

2. Copy the unzipped files to the root of the microSD/TF card either via a card reader or through USB cable in disk mode. Then, of course have the card inserted into the tablet if its not already there.

3. Power down the tablet. Hold down the home button and at the same time push the power button to boot. Once the machine boots (I guess no harm waiting a bit), while still holding down the home button, release the power button. You will then see the screen like the screen shot shown in (4.) in the document. Once you see the progress bar indicating its updating, you may release the home button.

3. The tablet automatically reboots after update is completed.

4. Enjoy! (ADDED BY ME)

Thanks for the post Zychen,Im gonna take a vacation day tommorow and give this a try.Hopefully it will take care of my wifi issue cause i do like this tablet....I will let you know how it goes..Thanks again,Wildwilly...

#24 zychen

zychen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hi wild, yeah the tablet is fast and so well built, glad you like yours too! And yes mine came rooted and if yours doesn't just let me know and I can help you!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Hi charos87,

I received my Vi30 Dual Core yesterday. Without delay, I charged it up and then went to update it with the latest official ROM (ver 1.1). I think the ROM by default is not rooted (since certain apps I installed which require super user permission doesn't work). So, I need your help on any instructions/scripts to root it. Thanks.

BTW, I downloaded YouTube app from Google Play and it doesn't work. Anyone with Vi30 Dual Core has a working YouTube app?

Edited : I read in another thread saying that all Onda's firmware came rooted. It says that one just need to install superuser app to enable superuser access. Is that right? Don't have the tablet with me now... will check it out tonight.

Edited 2: Yes, the stock firmware came as rooted ... just need SuperUser app installed :D Older version of YouTube work on the tablet but not the current version (25th July 2012)

cheers,
zychen

Edited by zychen, 01 August 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#25 chainer

chainer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:08 AM

hi... also bought a vi30 dual core last weekend from the same seller as nathan... pretty speedy tablet, antutu benchmark is higher than my galaxy note... battery is way better than my galaxy note (3-4 hours heavy use by my kids) giving us about 6+hours of where's my water hehehe...

i plan to buy another one since i have 2 kids taking turns... then maybe a vi40 or vi711 for me if budget permits...

btw, does anybody know what the sliding knob is for? the one on the side of the power and volume buttons? at first i thought its an orientation lock but doesnt work.
One musnt criticize other people on grounds where he can't stand perpendicular himself.
-Mark Twain

#26 nathan 12

nathan 12

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

I think the 6500mah is a lie. it should have doubled my battery life. The tablet is actually very fast and responsive. My problem now is. I installed allwinner mod on switchme app, thinking it would not affect my administrator profile. But it did affect my main profile. Now even if ive uninstalled allwinner mod the build.prop is still sgs2. it messed up my build.prop permanently. I dont know if it's a coincidence that backstab hd now, shows green textures all over the screen. Splinter cell hd has white texture all over the place except for main character. assasins creed hd white texture all.

If anyone here has Onda Vi30 dual core version? could you please verify, if backstab hd works for you? shadow guardian hd? splinter cell hd? assassins creed hd? dead space hd, riptide gp is gorgeous but doest'nt have sound. 9mm hd is superbly gorgeous but on the 4th level(i think), the first time the game ask you to crouch, the screen has no crouch button.

Games that worked:
Shadowgun(works perfectly with chainfire3d pro with unroll textures, 4x aa)
Nova3 hd
Gta3

could you please add games that works on Onda vi30? best firmware for the tablet? what settings you have? Could you please upload build.prop for Onda Vi30 dual core version. I want to know if the change of allwinner mod for my build.prop caused all THis.

On Es Manager, i couldnt kill a couple of chinese apps running. anyway to kill those chinese apps, i dont use?
I want to play shadow guardian hd so desperately. Please tell me youre gaming on Onda?

#27 charos87

charos87

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

@Nathan
Yep I can confirm all those games work for me but I haven't got to level 4 on 9mm yet... I can play these without having to use chainfire 3d too! To get rid of those anoying chinease apps use a file explorer with root privileges and go to /system/app then make sure its read-write and simply delete the apps apk and mount read only again then restart your tablet just be careful not to delete any of the core android processes or you will have to reflash a firmware. Hope it helps!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

#28 chainer

chainer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

what i did with those chinese apps i didnt want was to go to settings->apps->all then select the chinese apps one at a time and click on disable... i also replaced the stock gui with nova...

as for games... most installed in my vi30 are mainly games for my kids... tho i have dead trigger installed and it works just as well...

regarding the battery... i checked www.onda.cn and saw 4400mah somewhere in between chinese characters i cant understand but according to battery monitor, its about 3730mah...
One musnt criticize other people on grounds where he can't stand perpendicular himself.
-Mark Twain

#29 chainer

chainer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

btw... i computed the battery capacity based on battery monitor's data... charger is spec'd at 2a but battery monitor says its pumping in just ~1066ma and it took me roughly 5 hours to fully charge my tablet from a drained battery... so my computation was 1066ma x 5h x 0.7 (this is a figure i noted from another site, that charging losses 30% efficiency)...

dunno if my calculation is accurate tho... cmiiw.
-Mark Twain

#30 bertss50

bertss50

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Can anybody else confirm the youtube app is not working? (as zychen says)
I also ordered this tablet and it would be a dissapointment if it's not working.
When I receive my tablet I'll post my findings.

#31 zychen

zychen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Can anybody else confirm the youtube app is not working? (as zychen says)
I also ordered this tablet and it would be a dissapointment if it's not working.
When I receive my tablet I'll post my findings.

I think it maybe a bug in the current version of YouTube App (updated July 25, 2012) or a bug in the current firmware (v1.1). I went and grab the older version from my wife's phone backup and installed on the Vi30 Dual Core and it works.

#32 zychen

zychen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

I think the 6500mah is a lie. it should have doubled my battery life. The tablet is actually very fast and responsive. My problem now is. I installed allwinner mod on switchme app, thinking it would not affect my administrator profile. But it did affect my main profile. Now even if ive uninstalled allwinner mod the build.prop is still sgs2. it messed up my build.prop permanently. I dont know if it's a coincidence that backstab hd now, shows green textures all over the screen. Splinter cell hd has white texture all over the place except for main character. assasins creed hd white texture all.

If anyone here has Onda Vi30 dual core version? could you please verify, if backstab hd works for you? shadow guardian hd? splinter cell hd? assassins creed hd? dead space hd, riptide gp is gorgeous but doest'nt have sound. 9mm hd is superbly gorgeous but on the 4th level(i think), the first time the game ask you to crouch, the screen has no crouch button.

Games that worked:
Shadowgun(works perfectly with chainfire3d pro with unroll textures, 4x aa)
Nova3 hd
Gta3

could you please add games that works on Onda vi30? best firmware for the tablet? what settings you have? Could you please upload build.prop for Onda Vi30 dual core version. I want to know if the change of allwinner mod for my build.prop caused all THis.

On Es Manager, i couldnt kill a couple of chinese apps running. anyway to kill those chinese apps, i dont use?
I want to play shadow guardian hd so desperately. Please tell me youre gaming on Onda?

Hi Nathan,

Attached here is the build.prop (zipped) from the latest firmware (v1.1).
Attached File  build.zip   2.01KB   12 downloads

Edited by zychen, 01 August 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#33 bertss50

bertss50

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

I think it maybe a bug in the current version of YouTube App (updated July 25, 2012) or a bug in the current firmware (v1.1). I went and grab the older version from my wife's phone backup and installed on the Vi30 Dual Core and it works.

Thanks for your answer.
Today I also updated the youtube app on my phone to July 25. This version also crashes on my phone, removed the update and youtube is working again
so must be a bug in the updated Youtube app.

#34 zychen

zychen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

I took a look at the official firmware update files. Its pretty simple to remove the not so useful apps (especially those who don't know chinese or live outside of China) since those apps were packaged separately as update.zip applied by patch. So, if I have time (or anyone else), I can repackage a "lite" version of the official firmware without those chinese apps and add on some other useful stuff like:

* SuperUser (though rooted but not install by default)
* SetCPU
* Google Apps
* ES File explorer
* Better Media player like Moboplayer
* etc etc (suggestions welcomed)

Anyone keen to make a custom recovery (ClockWorkMod?) for Vi30 Dual Core?

#35 nathan 12

nathan 12

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

@charos87
ok thanks for the info. In 9mm Does your crouch button show up? because in mine, it only shows on customize controls.
in splinter cell hd, does your analog stick control on the left side center and the fire and aim button is directly on the middle of the screen? because in my ainol tornado, the analog is on the lower left corner and the aim and shoot button is on the right lower left corner.

@zychen
Thanks for the build.prop, will try to test it tomorrow.

Also, anyone here tested a xbox360 or ps3 controller for gaming?
when installing firmware updates, does it wipe out all of my game installs? My onda Vi30 volume control is, the left button press is for higher volume and right button is for lower volume?

#36 coreo

coreo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

I've just ordered mine and i cant wait for it to arrive..just wondering if anyone has got anywhere near these speeds in antutu like the pictures on the official ODNA website scroll down the site and it says 9185!! that's dam fast http://www.onda.cn/T...x?ProductId=208

Just checked on the Vi40 forum http://www.slatedroi...pu/page__st__40 (last post) and they are getting
9215 for antutu and 3966 for quadrant, with there latest firmware put into performance mode

comparing that with the rk3066 tablets they are getting around 7691!!
http://www.slatedroi...esults-w-video/

hope we get this speed too!! looks good..

Edited by coreo, 03 August 2012 - 02:39 AM.

Devices
-Icoo D90w 9.7 inch ips A10 (good screen. but slow)
-Onda Vi30 8 inch (AML8726-MX A9 dual core)
-Ramos w17pro 7 inch (AML8726-MX A9 dual core)
-Samsung Galaxy 7.7 gt 6810 (Samsung Exynos 4210,beautiful screen)
-Ipad Mini ( don't know what all the hype is about...like android much better)
-Chuwi v88 (7.9 inch rk3188)
-Ifive x2 (8.9 inch rk3188)
-Ramos i9 (8.9 inch intel z2580)
-Nexus 5
-Teclast p89(7.9 inch intel Z2580.. little beauty)

#37 chainer

chainer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

i likewise wanted to verify those figures... below are my scores:
mode, antutu score, quadrant score
power saving mode, 5787, 2193
normal, 7700, 3217
performance, 9346, 3826

using an 8gb class4 sd and still on baseband v1.0.

for comparison, my note's score are:
6765 and 3660

Edited by chainer, 03 August 2012 - 01:13 PM.

-Mark Twain

#38 Sassinak

Sassinak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have given myself a wedgie. My tablet is 5 days new. I first solved a calendar sync problem but now....
I decided to try out a google play widget. It crashes, disabling Google play store with it. I can't see the widget on the screen, therefore I can't just remove it. I can't install anything else on my device, and I get an annoying "Play store has stopped" message right at start-up, and every few minutes. I removed other widgets. Booting in safe mode allowed to remove another widget (that wasn't started) but not "the culprit". A start-up application manager doesn't reveal it, so I can't delete it.
So I'm stuck.
Options:
1) factory reset. Will my tablet revert to chinese only settings, screwing me?
2) find which folder/file has the startup manager and edit it manually
3) Find a way to remove Play Store, and to add it again manually

Onda Mid vi30w, android 4.0.3

As we speak I will attempt firmware update...
nope. sd card won't mount: invalid argument. I can use it, but not boot it.
I have a CLI emulator installed and root access.

Help Please.

geezus crist I fixed it. A simple "uninstall update", specifically for Google Play Store App. Phew!

Edited by Sassinak, 04 August 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#39 zychen

zychen

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Hi all,

3rd August 2012 official update (v1.2) is available. I will duplicate a copy on my mediafire account and place a link here soon.

Here is the official link -> Onda Vi30 Dual Core Official Firmware v1.2

EDIT:
I have uploaded the v1.2 firmware to my mediafire account, splitted across two tar files. The link to the folder is HERE

Edited by zychen, 06 August 2012 - 01:03 AM.

• LordArpaul likes this

#40 chainer

chainer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

thanks for the mediafire link... will download that soon (busy downloading kingdroid for my note hehehe)... have you tried installing the new firmware? feedback please... i really wish onda can put a widget in there to change cpu modes instead of going into settings...

Edited by chainer, 06 August 2012 - 10:25 AM.

-Mark Twain