#21 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Thus far, since root and build.prop mod this thing has ran every game I have thrown at it (A bunch of Gameloft titles and an EA title... will make a full list later, and a bunch of other random titles). There was one game that didn't work, it is some new high-end more-or-less just a graphics test game and it crashes directly to desktop. I think it favors nVidia chipsets only. It was called "Dark" something or another. I uninstalled it already. Aside from that oddity, NOVA 2 and NOVA 3 are both buttery smooth, Asphalt 6 is super smooth, Dungeon Hunter 3 is perfect, Mass Effect Infiltrator is perfect.... overall I am about as pleased as can be...

-Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#22 minibeats

minibeats

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

Now that you have fooled around with the build prop, could you let me know how the market is? Is it as open as the Quantum? Also, when you get a chance, could you also let us know about YouTube playback / flash playback/ video playback? I love my Quantum, but in built Bluetooth and the chance to run stock launcher is a bit of a draw for me, if it can do all the rest the Quantum can.

#23 Bondo2

Bondo2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationEgypt

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

@Bondo2

Someone else already posted the site above, if you have buying requests please PM them and not post on the thread :(

Hi Roman,

I am not sure what I did wrong or what exactly do you mean ? Which site are you talking about and PM who ?

#24 Piers

Piers

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Performance Update!!

My God the RK3066 is incredible... I had no idea because I had only done a bit of reading on it but I ran a Quadrant bench and couldn't believe my eyes!
.... awesomeness

Wow, that's impressive stuff! Thanks for taking the time to compare and post that Roman. It really does show a lot. I haven't ordered the Pipo, however I have ordered the Window N101 which is more or less the same.
YuanDao N101 I/+ Rooting | Firmware | Full Play Store | Tweaks
YuanDao N101 II Rooting | Firmware | Full Play Store | Tweaks

#25 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Wow, that's impressive stuff! Thanks for taking the time to compare and post that Roman. It really does show a lot. I haven't ordered the Pipo, however I have ordered the Window N101 which is more or less the same.

Keep in mind that some of those benchmark results (ie, those that include video benches too) are going to be higher because PiPo uses 1024x768 resolution. 9.7" tablets use 1024x768 resolution. 10.1" dual core use 1280x800 and single core 1024x600.

N101 & U30GT are 1280x800 and will score lower in video benchmarks bringing the totals down a little. The TF Prime is 1280x800 too. So, the video bench comparison is not really fair. =)

The biggest difference between them is in I/O and memory performance. The RK3066 really shines in these two areas over Tegra 3.

Edit: added in some extra info

Edited by Nickos-V, 22 July 2012 - 11:22 AM.

• Bondo2 likes this

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#26 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

Now that you have fooled around with the build prop, could you let me know how the market is? Is it as open as the Quantum? Also, when you get a chance, could you also let us know about YouTube playback / flash playback/ video playback? I love my Quantum, but in built Bluetooth and the chance to run stock launcher is a bit of a draw for me, if it can do all the rest the Quantum can.

Flash playback works well as far as I can tell. Youtube actually uses HTML 5 and the app seems to work perfectly, I hadn't tested the site (I am not sure why you would go to the site if the app works...). Netflix is the best experience I have ever had on a China Tab. The App loads and works fairly quickly and movies/tv shows load and start playing very very quickly. Jumping around in video also works well!

I haven't tested any playback of actual video files, I don't really plan on it actually as I am sure it is spectacular this being a Rockchip processor and being the successor to the RK2918 which more or less offered flawless video playback. If someone REALLY wants me to test video file playback I will.

Funnily enough I actually switched to GoLauncher shortly after getting the device but if you wanted to run stock I am sure it would be very slick ;) and I have not had any of the screen warble/ripple that happened with the Singularity.

Market Results? - Actually market "results" might be a bit worse with the build.prop mod change I made. However APP compatability for Gameloft games in particular is much better. I am going to keep fooling with it. I can't say I am really missing anything from the Market at present except maybe the new Asphalt 7 game? I can't seem to find that...

Also, this is running ICS 4.0.4 and "Face Unlock" works... most of the time! It is a pretty cool feature and as long as you have semi-decent lighting it works perfectly, otherwise you need to input a pin if you are going to use Face Unlock, thus you are never locked out of your tablet because you are in a dark room or something silly like that. You can also just leave the tablet not locked (so just the regular no password lock screen). Anyhow, face unlock is rather cool and yet another pleasant "extra" of a surprise.

As far as doing "all the rest"... the only thing I am not sure about is battery life at this point. I think the RK3066 may have a higher power draw. Aside from that, this is a huge upgrade over the Singularity in just about every way.

Regards,

Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#27 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hi Roman,

I am not sure what I did wrong or what exactly do you mean ? Which site are you talking about and PM who ?

NP, I just meant if you were interested in buying something just send me a private message ;), posting such things on the thread is note quite koshure I don't think?

Anyhow, I didn't mean to ding both posts so sorry about that :(.

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#28 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Keep in mind that some of those benchmark results (ie, those that include video benches too) are going to be higher because PiPo uses 1024x768 resolution. 9.7" tablets use 1024x768 resolution. 10.1" dual core use 1280x800 and single core 1024x600.

N101 & U30GT are 1280x800 and will score lower in video benchmarks bringing the totals down a little. The TF Prime is 1280x800 too. So, the video bench comparison is not really fair. =)

The biggest difference between them is in I/O and memory performance. The RK3066 really shines in these two areas over Tegra 3.

Edit: added in some extra info

Yes! Very valid points :) and I had meant to mention as much. Still, the GPU performance on the RK3066 is fairly exceptional and the Memory and IO performance make it the better SoC IMHO IF you can get the same game compatibility.

I am running Gameloft's NOVA 3 though flawlessly and beautifully on an IPS Display and the fact I am doing that on a sub $300 tablet is just mind boggling to me who was selling RENA 3s for $240+ just over a year ago.

Cheers!

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#29 sere83

sere83

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Wow, thanks for your impressions, I was not familiar with the brand at all. Interesting to hear as i'm presuming this is a variation of the standard reference design, used by Window on the N90, and a whole host of other manufacturers. I would actually like to know how this compares to the iFive X as that appears to be reasonably well constructed too. Whats most interesting to me though is the fact that Pipo may be another player in the market worth considering who actually show some signs of quality control.

I'm keeping a very close eye on the Pipo U1 with its 1280x800 7 inch IPS display, the main concern though for me will be battery life. I have a bad feeling they will probably go for a sub 4000mah supply which will probably mean pretty weak battery performance. This is one side of China tabs that really needs work.

Any battery life figures for this?

#30 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Yeah :( Battery Life is one of those hills I kind of die on and almost all China tabs suck at it. I have even been a bit underwhelmed by the PIPO even though it has a 7800 mAh battery. The RK3066 really sucks juice and I think the main issue is more power drain during sleep than anything else. I feel like I lose a lot when it is sleeping. The RK2918 was the same way. It had okay power consumption during use but its "sleep" power consumption was relatively high. The RK3066 makes up for it in performance though, this chipset is just mind boggling for the price.

I hadn't heard of the U1, that sounds very interesting indeed! Thanks for the heads up!

Update on WiFi - So, I have noticed that while the signal meter stays pretty full on the bars, the speed still seems to drop off a lot when I get a fair distance from my router :(. I am wondering if the signal meter is not accurate. Overall, it doesn't affect my usage much but I could see someone in a 3 story house getting frustrated on the top floor.

*sigh... Does it turn me off to the device completely? Definitely not... and I think we are going to go ahead and move forward with selling it but I will have to note the WiFi speed drop off on the product page. The WiFi still seems significantly better than the Singularity though which is a good thing.

Regards,

-Roman

-Ayn Rand

#31 Mariner

Mariner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

To be honest, anybody living in a three storey house should be looking to drop 20 quid (i.e. USD 30) on a wireless range extender to ensure you get a good signal in all areas. The problem is that most people don't really understand how easy this is to do.

#32 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

Update on WiFi - So, I have noticed that while the signal meter stays pretty full on the bars, the speed still seems to drop off a lot when I get a fair distance from my router :(. I am wondering if the signal meter is not accurate. Overall, it doesn't affect my usage much but I could see someone in a 3 story house getting frustrated on the top floor.

*sigh... Does it turn me off to the device completely? Definitely not... and I think we are going to go ahead and move forward with selling it but I will have to note the WiFi speed drop off on the product page. The WiFi still seems significantly better than the Singularity though which is a good thing.

Regards,

-Roman

Hi Roman, just wondering whether you could use your influence as a respected tablet vendor to persuade Pipo to enhance the wifi performance? Maybe it just needs a rethink about wifi antenna placement or design like Cube did with the U30GT.

Jez

Edited by Jezzer, 26 July 2012 - 02:43 AM.

Recommended devices shown in Green
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Phones (current): Samsung Galaxy S2 JB 4.1
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#33 drlo

drlo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hi, from Greece,

I am new to this site and have couple noob-questions

I am about to order my first tablet, and I am between this (Pipo M1) and Aoson M11.

The thing I really like on Aoson M11 is the full size Type A USB which makes me fill better, that I will be able to connect anything everywhere I happen to be.

Could somebody clarify what the "Host" port is on Pipo ? Is it a USB Host port? Is it full size Type A ? If not what is the form factor?

About the G-sensor and axis thing ... have no idea what this is? Is this feature identical to the tablets?

What I really like on Pipo, silly as it may sound, is the looks, all black mat look. The Aoson has this silver surrounding line that I find weird (plus the back looking speakers ... is it really a probelm ?)

Best,

George

#34 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hi, from Greece,

I am new to this site and have couple noob-questions

I am about to order my first tablet, and I am between this (Pipo M1) and Aoson M11.

The thing I really like on Aoson M11 is the full size Type A USB which makes me fill better, that I will be able to connect anything everywhere I happen to be.

Could somebody clarify what the "Host" port is on Pipo ? Is it a USB Host port? Is it full size Type A ? If not what is the form factor?

About the G-sensor and axis thing ... have no idea what this is? Is this feature identical to the tablets?

What I really like on Pipo, silly as it may sound, is the looks, all black mat look. The Aoson has this silver surrounding line that I find weird (plus the back looking speakers ... is it really a probelm ?)

Best,

George

The rear speaker is preferable to the location of the speaker on the PIPO which is annoying for playing games. Both have blutooth which makes the Host Port less critical as you can carry a bluetooth mouse which is way more preferable and that is pretty much the main thing I ever use the HOST port for on any tablet.

All that being said, the full size USB port is nice.

The PIPO has a micro-USB size HOST port and it comes with a small adapter you plug in to make it full size so you can plug stuff in. I am not sure what your primary use will be, but I wouldn't make the decision primarily based on the host port size. While it is cool, it just isn't something I use very much.

The PIPO has the larger battery pack and thinner styling.

The Aoson has the heavier duty build (albeit uglier imho and definitely significantly fatter). I haven't used the Aoson but my guess is that it is probably a somewhat higher quality product all around.

G-Sensor is the chip inside that detects movement of the tablet (for example using the tablet as a steering wheel in a racing game would be an example of the g-sensor in use). Some g-sensors are cheap and only measure movement on 2-axis which means some games (like Temple Run) won't work with the tablet. Some tablets have good g-sensors which measure movement on 3 axis. This is highly preferable. I know the PIPO definitely has a 3-axis and I would guess the M11 does as well.

The looks on the PIPO are nicer, however the quality is probably not as nice. I hate the ugly chrome on the Aoson as well and that was part of the reason I went with the PIPO. But I don't like the plastic ring/rim design on the PIPO although I think I prefer it to the Chrome and I definitely prefer the thinner design. My 2-cents :)

Regards,

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#35 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

To be honest, anybody living in a three storey house should be looking to drop 20 quid (i.e. USD 30) on a wireless range extender to ensure you get a good signal in all areas. The problem is that most people don't really understand how easy this is to do.

At least one of my Singularity customer's did just that at my recommendation :)

-Ayn Rand

#36 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hi Roman, just wondering whether you could use your influence as a respected tablet vendor to persuade Pipo to enhance the wifi performance? Maybe it just needs a rethink about wifi antenna placement or design like Cube did with the U30GT.

Jez

I can sure try but trust me they don't really listen to me lol. I sell hundreds (in a good quarter) not thousands :( so my voice is pretty small. I think if I owned a tablet factory in China and had control over the manufacturing process and QA I could create a company that would kick the respective arses of all other Chinese companies (at least as far as sales in the West went) as the Chinese fundamentally for the most part still just don't have a clue about the Western consumer market. It blows my mind when I talk to factories that are developing Dual-Core AmLogic 7" tablets and pairing them with TFT-LCD screens and expecting them to compete with other chinese tablets using the same hardware but with IPS screens. Or factories still doing this with the A10 platform... :( C'mon people, we have $90 dual-core devices floating around at this point. Your $85 A10 is now irrelevant.

Sorry for the rant... :)

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#37 grayson73

grayson73

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

I can sure try but trust me they don't really listen to me lol. I sell hundreds (in a good quarter) not thousands :( so my voice is pretty small. I think if I owned a tablet factory in China and had control over the manufacturing process and QA I could create a company that would kick the respective arses of all other Chinese companies (at least as far as sales in the West went) as the Chinese fundamentally for the most part still just don't have a clue about the Western consumer market. It blows my mind when I talk to factories that are developing Dual-Core AmLogic 7" tablets and pairing them with TFT-LCD screens and expecting them to compete with other chinese tablets using the same hardware but with IPS screens. Or factories still doing this with the A10 platform... :( C'mon people, we have $90 dual-core devices floating around at this point. Your $85 A10 is now irrelevant.

Sorry for the rant... :)

Roman

Where is there a $90 dual-core device?

#38 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Where is there a $90 dual-core device?

The Ramos W17 Pro is one, although that is not IPS, only LCD. I believe the Window N70 is right around $110? These are pre-shipping prices though.

-Ayn Rand

#39 sere83

sere83

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, from what I heard the latest AMLogic chipsets battery life is actually not too bad. I know they only run a dual core mali 400 as opposed to quad core of the RK3066, how do the 2 compare in performance? I presume the RK3066 would eat it for breakfast. I also hear the W17 pro is getting a Jelly bean update. Pretty incredible for the price.

#40 Mariner

Mariner

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, from what I heard the latest AMLogic chipsets battery life is actually not too bad. I know they only run a dual core mali 400 as opposed to quad core of the RK3066, how do the 2 compare in performance? I presume the RK3066 would eat it for breakfast. I also hear the W17 pro is getting a Jelly bean update. Pretty incredible for the price.

I've no experience of the AMLogic chipsets myself, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that their dual-core Mali is clocked higher than the quad-Mali in the RK3066 - possibly 400MHz vs 266MHz? I can't remember where I read this but, assuming it is accurate, this ought to mean that the GPU performance deficit may be less than 50%!