• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Does telcast offer good support for their products?

Could be MVA/PVA too. =) Who knows for sure. I guess just calling them TFT is simpler since IPS is AKA Super TFT.
http://en.wikipedia....ching_.28IPS.29

My Wopad I7 has TFT and looks pretty good. You can see the difference with my U30GT (IPS) but getting 8" at lower price makes up for the display difference. ie, 8" RK3066 IPS would sell for $170-185 shipped.

Teclast is very good for build quality but seem to be lacking in firmware upgrades lately. No idea when or if you would get Android 4.1 on P85 Dual.
http://www.teclast.c...=78&topicID=218

A 8" 4:3 gives about 50% bigger screen area than 7" tablet. Though, 4:3 will stop some (or many?) "higher-end" games from being playable. ie, some (or many?) "higher-end" games are made only for 16:10 aspect ratio. ie, Gameloft.

I also noticed 2 other 8" RK3066 tablets but have not confirmed if real or not. Momo8 Dual. Chuwi V8 Dual.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#22 nuwan32

nuwan32

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

doesn't it just give you the cinematic bars when you play a 16:9 game or doe it stretch?

Edited by nuwan32, 16 August 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#23 amd7674

amd7674

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Could be MVA/PVA too. =) Who knows for sure. I guess just calling them TFT is simpler since IPS is AKA Super TFT.
http://en.wikipedia....ching_.28IPS.29

My Wopad I7 has TFT and looks pretty good. You can see the difference with my U30GT (IPS) but getting 8" at lower price makes up for the display difference. ie, 8" RK3066 IPS would sell for $170-185 shipped.

Teclast is very good for build quality but seem to be lacking in firmware upgrades lately. No idea when or if you would get Android 4.1 on P85 Dual.
http://www.teclast.c...=78&topicID=218

A 8" 4:3 gives about 50% bigger screen area than 7" tablet. Though, 4:3 will stop some (or many?) "higher-end" games from being playable. ie, some (or many?) "higher-end" games are made only for 16:10 aspect ratio. ie, Gameloft.

I also noticed 2 other 8" RK3066 tablets but have not confirmed if real or not. Momo8 Dual. Chuwi V8 Dual.

Way too many choices... Too be honest I don't know what to get for my kids... LOL...

doesn't it just give you the cinematic bars when you play a 16:9 game or doe it stretch?

+1,

Very good question.

#24 nuwan32

nuwan32

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

wow! aliexpress selling p85 dualcore for $70. you have to add to card not, but u can buy it on the 21st. check the top ad on aliexpress

#25 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

For HD/widescreen movie playing, you get black bars on the top & bottom. ie, display is not filled with the movie.

For gaming, certain games offer only 16:10 graphics. These will not work on 4:3 tablet. But, I do not have 4:3 tablet like 8" or 9.7" to test that out. Just what I heard. Better to ask someone with one of those types of tablets. ie, Aoson M11, PiPo M1, Yuandao N90, Teclast P85, etc.

I prefer a tablet with better firmware support because Android 4.1 is a good improvement over 4.0. I cannot test it because of tablet problems with my U30GT but other people can tell you the same.

Yuandao N70 for 7". I would say Teclast for 8" but they are just too slow with firmware. Good to check out Momo8 Dual (if real). Ployer (Momo) is supposed to be good.

Edited by Nickos-V, 16 August 2012 - 09:43 PM.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#26 T3beatz

T3beatz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:39 AM

here are a couple vids, it looks like some of the games just stretch... The first one Is HDMI out to a TV,

Edited by T3beatz, 17 August 2012 - 12:40 AM.

#27 Ogri

Ogri

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

I would say Teclast for 8" but they are just too slow with firmware. Good to check out Momo8 Dual (if real). Ployer (Momo) is supposed to be good.

I'll be very interested to see how the Teclast support pans out, that's for sure Nickos.

On the IPS screen, I found this interesting on the manufacturers site: "Touch panel using the same structure the iPAD2 principle of double glass panel technology, using advanced laser etching technology and pure graphic design, slide touch, sensitive and accurate, and put an end to any corner" especially as they build panels as well, and have awards for glass panel research, etc. From that it sounds to be an IPS 'type', be that similar, the same, or even, an improvement?

The UK agent for Ployer (GTR Electronics) is taking pre-orders for the 8" RK3066 momo8 Speed (though with them it is listed as 8gb rather than 16gb, which could be inaccurate), so it is real 'soon' ("limited stock, end of August release"), and also will have Android 4.1 if the build for it is ready. I have been pretty much recommending GTR Electronics to family and friends so far, due to their outstanding reputation, and they also host firmware updates on their UK site (and also an android 4 manual useful to new users). I have used some (though not torn any down as they are not mine), and all so far are stable and very well put together.

There is also a momo11 Speed RK3066 in development, but no pre-orders available as yet. The momo11 'Bird' is listed at 9.7", but the 'Speed' in development is listed as 10" - seems odd as it is stated to be 4:3, so maybe it is 9.7" as well.

#28 Logseman

Logseman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationTenerife, Spain

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

I've got a Teclast P85 with the RK3066 here in my hands. While I'll have to wait a bit for camera shoots, I'll be glad to test and try whatever you people want to have tested and tried, and to answer questions. So far I am positively impressed.

#29 amd7674

amd7674

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:30 AM

I've got a Teclast P85 with the RK3066 here in my hands. While I'll have to wait a bit for camera shoots, I'll be glad to test and try whatever you people want to have tested and tried, and to answer questions. So far I am positively impressed.

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

1) how is the screen? angles, colors brightness, touchpad responsivness. How is comparing to IPS screen?
2) if possible please try "Joy Paint" app, litte drawing app for kids, and plz tell me the responsivness.
3) build quality?
4) wi-fi working?
5) 16:10 native games working on the unit?

I'm still debating if I should buy 2 Aurora II's, Windows N70s or P85s...

Sorry for all the questions ;)

#30 asik1

asik1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Great Logseman you have got your P

A new firmware for this P85 RK3066 can be found here (and a movie...)
http://www.teclast.c...ols/pad/pad.php
click on the right section and input the MODEL ID > A9D3
few days ago I D/L v1.13 now it's 1.17

- Although I don't have the unit yet, I found on the web this guide for rooting Teclast A10 Dual-core RK3066

Credit to andropos:
How to root
1. Download and install a Chinese Android manager application called http://www.opda.com....2.2.0-setup.exe
2. Run it ZhuoDaShi
3. Connect the device via USB and wait till the app detects the device
4. The application will automatically push a APK to the device and run it on the device
5. On the PC app, click the Root link under the device image
6. Wait till finished
DONE

So I'll be glad to know if it work.

Edited by asik1, 19 August 2012 - 03:21 AM.

loved my P85/3066 but he had dead buttons fever, and practicly died after ~15 months
Got PIPO S2, will he live long?

#31 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

A new firmware for this P85 RK3066 can be found here (and a movie...)
http://www.teclast.c...ols/pad/pad.php
click on the right section and input the MODEL ID > A9D3

few days ago I D/L v1.13 now it's 1.17

OK thanks for that. Teclast hide their firmware updates by model ID. That makes it very hard for anyone to know how active they were with updating firmware.

Latest firmware came out August 10 for P85 Dual. Still on Android 4.0 but 4.1 should show up too later on.

That now makes this tablet a good choice to buy for 8". I may buy it too. =) Will see.

#32 Haider

Haider

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Well Guys,

Does anyone has any experience with rooting this device ? I've bought one since 16-7-2012. This tablet is shipped with plenty useless programs made in china. The most annoying think is the keyboard, wel after walk around I could disable this chinese keyboard but is still installed on device.
One thing nice about this product is the support ! you get per month a new firmware pronounced :p the original firmware was 4.0.1 but it was really creepy and has alot of bugs (kernal stops, programs crashes, touch appears by it self at the lower side of screen).
The second one was pronounced on 30-7-2012 the 4.0.4 was alot better than the original firmware but it stil has some bugs with the battery level and programs crashes (sometime hangout and freezes).
And now again, another firmware is arrived in 14-8-2012 also 4.0.4 I have installed today =D well I have to say till now got no problems.
If anyone asks about build quality, I would say: not much ! cover is aluminium and a good wifi reception is nice, but on screen has two spots was already shipped with product when I bought it :s
About battery life don't ask me :p because I never used it without problem or freezes, maybe the next day with the new firmware will be able to do it xD

Hope this information is usefull to some :p
If any has questions I'd say just ask ;)

Regards

Haider

Device info:
16GB ROM
1GB RAM
Chipset RK3066
Model name: Teclast P85
Model ID: A9D3

#33 Ogri

Ogri

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Well it is very encouraging to hear people are getting their hands on the P85, congrats indeed! :)

Also very encouraging about the firmware update availability, and if it's any encouragement, I wouldn't worry too much about a few bugs right now, as it is still pretty much a new build with a new chipset (getting things settled down nicely with any new chipset always takes a little time). eta: The firmware page linked has this as well at the top - 2012-08-14 P85双核(A9D3)升级教程 V2.00 - which is an upgrade tutorial, and the last two columns are download links to it.

I am very keen to hear how good that screen is, to be honest, as there's a real possibility that it might just be something a little bit special. :)

One thing it may pay to watch, from something I read somewhere earlier - make sure you use the mains charger to charge it rather than USB to computer USB (there 'might' be a creatable glitch there with a USB power feed that doesn't deliver enough amps, maybe just if the battery is at a low state of charge, but not worth chancing things, and it's probably something a firmware update will resolve before long).

Edited by Ogri, 17 August 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#34 Logseman

Logseman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

1) how is the screen? angles, colors brightness, touchpad responsivness. How is comparing to IPS screen?
2) if possible please try "Joy Paint" app, litte drawing app for kids, and plz tell me the responsivness.
3) build quality?
4) wi-fi working?
5) 16:10 native games working on the unit?

I'm still debating if I should buy 2 Aurora II's, Windows N70s or P85s...

Sorry for all the questions ;)

1) Screen: the viewing angles are good and the screen is bright, but IPS quality is beyond what this can do. The touchpad response, in the 17/7/2012 build that I'm using, is a bit rough: you need a fair bit of pressure to press a button, or to slide the finger on Paint Joy. I hope firmware updates can fix this, it's clearly a software issue, since games perform way smoother.
2) Build quality: Superb, no plasticky feeling, no creaking... The only issue I have is the completely flat back: it seems prone to slide from the hand.
3) Wifi: just like a high end phone. No drops, no issues so far.
4) Shadow Gun works wonderfully, and I'm led to think it's about as taxing a game as they make them. It stretched to full screen and performed flawlessly.

#35 Logseman

Logseman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

More surprises: the tablet is the first Android device which works as Plug-And-Play is supposed to do with Windows 7. No issues at all, which is a relief seeing the grief that W7 used to give about drivers and stuff.

#36 asik1

asik1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Logseman, have you rooted the device?

loved my P85/3066 but he had dead buttons fever, and practicly died after ~15 months
Got PIPO S2, will he live long?

#37 Logseman

Logseman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Logseman, have you rooted the device?

I haven't found a way to get root access, at least one that I have confidence in. I've been able to update it, though, and that has fixed the touchscreen sensitivity issue, now it feels smoother.

Edited by Logseman, 18 August 2012 - 07:55 AM.

#38 Haider

Haider

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

New firmware (v2.0) seems working very wel ! :-D Except the ADB driver is still missing on Teclast website :'( this is helpfull for rooting device.

#39 Haider

Haider

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Have anyone root this device yet ?

Edited by Haider, 18 August 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#40 Ogri

Ogri

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

By the way, a special thank you from me to asik1 for finding and posting the link to that Teclast firmware update page. That will make a very big difference and be a huge help to a lot of people. Well done.

If the Teclast ever gets a dedicated subforum, that information needs to be put into a sticky at the top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users