21 replies to this topic

#1 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:50 AM

Anyone read comics on their tablets?

Currently I have a 10.1" tab on order, one of the reasons is that I think the 16:10 ratio would be closer to a comic book size, so less pinching and zooming, but would like to hear from any 10.1" or 9.7" tab owners re: their experiences and thoughts.

Also what are the best apps for reading comic books?

GDP.
Currently Owned: Pipo Max M1 running TNT JB V2

Previously Owned: Window N101+

#2 charos87

charos87

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

Hay! I use the marvel comic book app on my onda vi30 dual core, it's an 8 Inch screen with 4:3 aspect ratio, the app follows each pane within the page with each tap, saves zooming in an out!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

#3 LastFrontier

LastFrontier

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

Hay! I use the marvel comic book app on my onda vi30 dual core, it's an 8 Inch screen with 4:3 aspect ratio, the app follows each pane within the page with each tap, saves zooming in an out!

I also have a onda vi30 dual core. For viewing purposes i consider quite adequate this screen format/dimension, since i'm a little shortsighted and i can read quite well w/o my glasses. The "trick" is to adjust the width of the comic to the screen (done automatically in the app settings).

As far as i'm concerned there are a couple of great comic apps in the market, altough none of them has reached perfection.

For a long time I used ACV (a comic viewer) but it has some compatibility issues, freezing in the middle of the comic. Gestures are quite responsive and has quite a range of different settings so you can optimize you're reading experience.

Nonetheless i now use Komik. It is quite capable of handling a couple of hundreds of comics, organizing them, creating automatically thumbnails. A real eye candy. Less settings to tweak, but all the essential are there, like adjusting width, heigth, gestures... On the downside, the gesture response is quite erratic sometimes. You can read a couple of issues with no probs and all of a sudden doesn't recognize simple gesture commands like turn a page or zoom or whatever. Overall the experience is far better in Komik than ACV.

Other apps i've used and experimented are myComics and Comixology. Altough the late has a great capacity to interlink your databases and a great store (PC, Laptop, tablet, phone) the main function doesn't deliver, with virtually no settings to optimize reading. myComics fails redundantly as a reader. Doesn't import half your library and is quite bugish.

#4 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

For a long time I used ACV (a comic viewer) but it has some compatibility issues, freezing in the middle of the comic. Gestures are quite responsive and has quite a range of different settings so you can optimize you're reading experience.

Nonetheless i now use Komik......

Thanks for the replies guys! :good:

I'm just awaiting my 10.1" N101 to be returned from repair.

I probably would give a few a try; especially Komik per your recommendation LF. :good: Also might give Droid and Perfect Viewer a go, which some others have suggested to me as being good.

GDP.

#5 Zephry

Zephry

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

I just bought a 7 in Pandigital Planet and I'm looking forward to reading some comic books like Deadpool.

#6 Rockyhorror

Rockyhorror

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

I use EBookDroid for reading comics, fairly decent.

#7 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thanks I'll have to check that one out. :good:

I've been trying Komik and Perfect Viewer and they are both great. I'm using a 9.7" Pipo Max M1 currently and there is a thin border on each side in portrait orientation if I try to fit the entire page on one screen because of the ratio. If I fill entire screen, I have to scroll down to see bottom 5% of the page.

Would be interested to see 'entire page view' on a 10.1".

GDP.

Edited by GodDamnedPaparazzi, 05 October 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#8 mrxmas

mrxmas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:57 AM

ASUS TF101 here with Perfect Viewer and yes i read comics on my tablet. 10" tablets are perfect for comics :-)
have a nice reading :-)
mrxmas
EKEN M001/ Samsung Galaxy Spica/ Ibex Flytouch 3/ ASUS Transformer 16GB

#9 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

ASUS TF101 here with Perfect Viewer and yes i read comics on my tablet. 10" tablets are perfect for comics :-)
have a nice reading :-)
mrxmas

Would be interested to see some screenshots to see how the page is on a 10.1" if you or anyone else has the time. I had a Window N101+ but had to return it before I got a chance to view any comics on it.

Here's the view on my 9.7" Pipo.

Entire page view:

Attached File  IMG_109025.JPG   251.17KB   31 downloads

Fit to width views:

Attached File  IMG_109125.JPG   265.34KB   29 downloads
Attached File  IMG_109225.JPG   268.4KB   21 downloads

Ignore the wonkyness of some of the shots; that's down to the photographer, not the tablet! :lol:

GDP.

#10 mrxmas

mrxmas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Would be interested to see some screenshots to see how the page is on a 10.1" if you or anyone else has the time. I had a Window N101+ but had to return it before I got a chance to view any comics on it.

Okay it's my 10" TF101 in portrait mode /but sometimes on a cowded page i use it in landscape mode and scrolling the page up and down/.

Posted Image

Edited by mrxmas, 06 October 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#11 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the screen shot; excellent choice too! ;)

That is fit to screen width right? + you have to scroll down a tiny bit to see the bottom of the page?...when you put the comic in fit to page (so that the entire page is seen on screen) do you also get thin grey borders left and right as on the first pic I posted? Or top and bottom?

GDP.

#12 lobo21

lobo21

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

The 9'7 inch is perfect :)
I have a Smartq T10 and use PerfectViewer, and is one of the best things i can do with my slate.
Enjoy the comics :)

#13 mrxmas

mrxmas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the screen shot; excellent choice too! ;)

That is fit to screen width right? + you have to scroll down a tiny bit to see the bottom of the page?...when you put the comic in fit to page (so that the entire page is seen on screen) do you also get thin grey borders left and right as on the first pic I posted? Or top and bottom?

GDP.

Yes, it's totally fit to screen. The missing part at the bottom is because the screenshot, so don't worry the page is okay :-) enjoy your tablet

#14 Ultron

Ultron

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hi.
Am I not correct in assuming that a screenshot tells very little about the quality of the display?
I recently watched a video where 2 tablet were compared (Anol Fire & Pipo U1) and I thought that the screens had quite different appearances, sth that more strongly comes out when a tablet is held before a tv. I thought the Pipo maybe looked better.
Then in another video by merimobiles the Fire seemed to not suck against the nx7 which aparently doesn't have a very good screen.
On the other hand, different cameras surely may record in favor of a certain screen technology maybe, especially if only from one angle towards the screen since not all screens have the same ips technology original.
So it rly gets hard to tell from afar.
The Window70 should have a good screen by some accounts and if “Nomen est omen“ (Name is omen) that could just bei true.

I enjoy reading Comic books on my notebook very much though not atm because I have very many works and other important stuff to do, sorry. But for example I really enjoyed Desolation Jones by Warren Ellis or Lucky Luke for example. I noticed the brilliant colour of Jones clothes and was very impressed, it looked nearly better then on paper imho. Now I don't rly know what makes a display good, but I'm guessing it depends primarily on ppi and personal preferance. I don't know if a Fire would suit my wishes at all, if a Window 70hd might be the better choice, and eventually if so, if it doesn't still have a very different picture. I don't have much money but I like comics and tablet (newbie there) a lot and will probably at some point get a second tablet apart from the pb I have since a few days, which I got used for 2X$ and offers a pleasing experience for surfing. The screen here might be ok, but a better or equal one would be apreciated at some point, especially in a bigger tablet. Hardware performance would have to be secondary.

From your experience, what do you feel might suit my needs? Pleasent don't answer if you have stocks in any company unless you can admit to it.

I tried perfect viewer on my Xperia Neo. It wasn't all bad. Screenshot coming tomorrow when I log on with my Phone, now bedtime.
Have a nice whatever :-) Thank you.

#15 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

You're right that the screenshot can be affected by a number of things in relation to gauging image quality; but my interest which maybe got a little lost, was in the way the pages are represented on-screen in terms of sizing and format.

From my screenshot of a 9.7" tab you can see that there are grey borders left and right in fit to page view and from what mrxmas says on a 10.1" there are no borders (if I'm reading that correctly mrxmas?); which means that I would lean towards a 10.1" for my next tab purchase, as I prefer to not have to scroll up and down to fully read each page.

Re: your situation, I would suggest the main thing would be to get an IPS screen as a first priority and look at the resolution as a second, though on a 7" I would have thought that the images would appear fairly similar to the naked eye anyway.

IPS is a world of difference compared with non-IPS for comic books. If you're only going to use it as a comic book reader go for the best screen available; but if you are likely to be a typical user, with mixed usage including web surfing, e-mail, gaming and watching videos, you would probably then have to also consider good community support plus decent firmware updates to find the best compromise. (A tab with a great screen but buggy fw might be ok for just using Perfect Viewer, but would quickly become a pain for other tasks)

The upshot: you've a lot of reading to do! :rolleyes: I suggest skimming through the RK3066 forums on here to see what actual users think of the PiPo; Window N70 (regular) and maybe also checking out the Cube U30GT-mini to get a feel for each overall.

I've generally read most favourable things about the Cube as an all-rounder, but I guess the new N70 HD would technically have the best screen. It's hard to say whether it will have solid fw or good custom ROM development until a few people get their hands on it though.

GDP.

#16 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

p.s. thanks everybody for the replies and thoughts! :drinks:

GDP.

Edited by GodDamnedPaparazzi, 09 October 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#17 Ultron

Ultron

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Due to technical difficulties the afore mentioned posting will be postponed until further notice.

However, reading the Comic Books on a 3,7" screen with 480x854 pixel cannot really recommend and gets tiering quickly, especially on comics with much text.

Still in some situations, eg while travelling by bus/train it is better then counting cows.

#18 LastFrontier

LastFrontier

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

After reading some of the posts with your suggestions I've decided to give a try to others comic readers. I gave a test run to ebook droid and perfect viewer. Both dealt really good with my library, a mix of pdf, cbr, cbz and jpg with more than 600 titles. What lacks in aesthetic feeling and customization in ebookdroid it compensates with more fluidity than PV.
The bookshelf in EBD doesn't render the thumbnails automatically for all the titles, and for me it's quite annoying, only the ones that have been read. The navigation trough the bookshelf it's very quick. While reading it turns the page quickly and the up and down navigations it's ok (those with the 10.1 screens don't know the drag that's scrolling the page up & down)
The PV with the pdf extension overall has an interface design much more slick and we can customize. Downside it's much more heavy to sincronise the bookshelf and it's navigation it's quite slow ( maybe because the size of the library???). The same problem occurs while reading a comic. Changing page and scrolling sometimes is quite challenging since it has some major lag. None of the other apps I've tried has this issue.
Also I tried another app called Comica lite. It has potential, but the free version has adds in the end of the screen that diminishes the viewing area of the screen. So thumbs down for not giving a decent experience while reading a comic.

In conclusion my preferred comic reader still is Komic, but due to it's better compatibility (after installing the pdf plugin) I'm starting to use more and more EBD since I've aquired a new collection of comics in pdf.

Sent from my Onda Vi30D

#19 GodDamnedPaparazzi

GodDamnedPaparazzi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

For me I don't know why but I just found PV to be a good fit. Though I've found that I don't worry too much about the frills as once I can find my comics easily through the file tree and turn the page w/o lag I'm happy; though to be fair perhaps the spec of my tab is overkill (1.6G dual core processor + 1gb RAM) for the basic act of reading a comic and I probably have around 400 titles currently on there.....so a little less than you!

On my tab though, instant page turning and if I ever set to page width view smooth scrolling up and down; which you're right is a major drag - pun intended? :lol:

GDP.

#20 LastFrontier

LastFrontier

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

For me I don't know why but I just found PV to be a good fit. Though I've found that I don't worry too much about the frills as once I can find my comics easily through the file tree and turn the page w/o lag I'm happy; though to be fair perhaps the spec of my tab is overkill (1.6G dual core processor + 1gb RAM) for the basic act of reading a comic and I probably have around 400 titles currently on there.....so a little less than you!

On my tab though, instant page turning and if I ever set to page width view smooth scrolling up and down; which you're right is a major drag - pun intended? :lol:

GDP.

I guess the specs aren't the problem since my tablet has the amlogic 8726mx 1.5 Dual Core 1 gB. Maybe has something to do with pdf files ?? Or perhaps some FW bug, but none of the others comic reader has that beaviour.

Sent from my Onda Vi30D