Android Tablets Forum banner

[ROM] justinthegeek's fat free ICS Update:10/21/12

91K views 278 replies 72 participants last post by  tictx 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fat free ice cream sandwich!​

This rom contains only the necessary files and is based off of the newest C91 Upgrade image from Zenithink

Modifications 10/21/12
=====================================================================================
Updated to newest files released from Zenithink

Modifications 7/23/12 (old version)
=====================================================================================
Added CPU specific optimization - All I can say is WOW! It's running as smooth as an iPad!
More build.prop tweaks
Added modified host file to remove most ads from the browser and apps.
Added the correct boot.logo and boot_update.logo

Modifications 7/22/12 (old version)
More performance tweaks
Removed more unneeded files
Removed extra upgrade files
Compacted install image
Optimized ram usage
Added 4 missing boot files for random failed rom installs

Modifications 7/14/12 (old version)
Zipalign all the files
1.0Ghz kernel with 2Gb partition (Thanks omarahum for your fast work)
Many performance tweaks to build.prop
Apex Launcher set as default
Removed un-needed files and trimmed the fat
Disabled 3g data and phone services (If you need to use a 3g dongle, hw.nophone=true needs to be set to false in build.prop)
Changed Dalvik settings
Changed media player options
Licence1 update

Screenshots
Desktop
App Screen

Download
justinthegeek ffics 10/21/12
Flash.apk

Install
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if this file bricks your ZT-282, breaks your toaster, makes you pregnant, or kills your neighbors.

Download and extract the folder zt-update to the root of the sd card
Turn off the tablet and insert sd card
Turn the tablet on by pressing the camera button and the power button at the same time
Follow the on screen instructions, it may ask to press the camera button to update the spl
On first boot, select the 2nd option and it will start the initial setup

Bugs
On first install and boot it will ask what task you want to perform. Choose the 2nd option. (This is a bug with the factory rom. I'm still trying to pinpoint what's causing this.)
Because the 3g data and phone services are disabled, opening settings and choosing sound will cause settings to crash. (To change the notification sound: Set hw.nophone to false in build.prop, reboot, change the notification sound, set hw.nophone back to true and reboot)
If anything else shows up, please let me know!

Like my work? Want to buy me a beer? Click here!

See less See more
#16 ·
#37 ·
Yep although it was just the camera not working. I've got it sorted though, there were lines missing from the hardware file.

You could also add the MOVE_HOME line to the keyboard file to fix the home button in 180 dpi mode.

And if you haven't already you could also add the spelling check files!

This is a nice rom though, I do seem to drop wifi often which wasn't present in other roms

G
#41 ·
Thanks JustinTheGeek for this ROM, it's silky smooth for me even with a golauncher theme running.

I found "LCD Density Modder" and changed it there to 180 dpi, finally got rid of those pesky icons at the base of the screen! Can you achieve this without the use of an app?

#42 ·
You can change that in the build.prop file. Look for ro.sf.lcd_density=

I'm trying to keep the screen density the same and remove the bars. It's giving me a lot of problems because I think Zenithink did a lot of changing to the os.

Next goal: Build a tz-282 rom from android source or cyanogenmod source.
I wouldn't expect an update anytime soon.

#51 ·
Are you talking about cyanogenmod port on this tablet ?
Would be great to have CM9 on it. This tablet is a good piece of hardware, given the price. It just deserves a better rom.

As Zenithink did not release any source it may be hard work... Especially if some specific device drivers are involved.

I really hope you'll make it

#54 ·
anyone else having problems connecting to wifi after update? if i go to settings and try to connect to my home network it freezes after entering my password and i have to do a pinhole reset. does anyone know of a fix for this? i've tried justin's rom to no avail. also, i get an E: error when trying to flash, but the update process continues all the way to first boot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.