Android Tablets Forum banner

? about my firmware PDC1_20120323_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  AkBKukU 
#1 ·
I just recently bought a pandigital novel and have been looking around to try and hack it. However, after reading the wikis and looking around the forum I haven't seen anything addressing the firmware I have. It's listed as PDC1_20120323_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP in the about device menu. I've seen no topics and searches have turned up nothing regarding this specific firmware and im unsure if i should try one of these alternate firmwares. Some help or clarification would be appreciated. Is my tablet even hackable?

#2 ·
You are just the second one to post that you have this FW as far as I know, and no one on here has seen it. Look in the thread about not flashing on top of SL firmware, you might get some info in that about how you might unlock your firmware if it is locked down like the SL. It would be a risk since no one has done it yet, but you might be able to flash Kewlguy's market only flash and get it to work on this FW, I think someone reported it working with the SL, but it would be at your own risk as I have only seen a few posts of people who could even try it. Make sure you are running android 2.0 or 2.1 which would make your build 5 or 7. If you can find your build prop file in your firmware, it would be a start as to your processor and FW setup. There is also info in the SL thread on how to get some other files out of the FW to help developers on slatedroid try and determine if they can help people with this FW.
The thread he refers to is here: Do Not Downgrade WPDN from SL20_20120224 to S10 or SH20 FW This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.

#3 ·
This FW is new. Panengineer had a good resposne here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/15444-alternate-wpdn-firmware-op-based-opdn-current-version-211/page__view__findpost__p__384662

The thread he refers to is here: Do Not Downgrade WPDN from SL20_20120224 to S10 or SH20 FW This is a 2012 dated FW reported not compatible with the 2010/2011 FWs.
Do you know where this SL thread that panengineer refers to is? I am still new to this, but i would love to help in getting the firmware I have to the devs on this forum.

#8 ·
While I wait for someone to figure out how to mod the new FW I am simply using my WPDN "out of the box". I understand how the internal memory partitioning functions, so my 4Gb internal gives me 2Gb usable space. I only have a few apps installed, nothing big, and in settings I see I have approx. 1.6Gb free space on the internal. Yet, when I try to install an app lately, I get a message telling me I do not have enough space (app I am trying to install is 1,255Kb) and offers the options to back out or manage apps.

Am I missing something here? I don't see a bunch of running apps when this occurs (generally only the Android KB is reported running) and have shut down and rebooted to clear any wayward apps that may be hanging around in memory.

Thanks in advance,
John

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, since I am lacking time to test and troubleshoot these days,I am going to post a few links for anyone reading and legitimately wanting to learn...the information is already here, people...Search is your friend.

Check to see if your WPDN(s) are the same as ours inside and out: Ladies and Gents - For your viewing pleasure, the guts of the Novel (high-res) *

Prepare for the worst: CON4 - The Quest to Trace It. JTAG? Something else?

lawman's original write up: Placeholder WIP: FAQ before you hack: ADB (Android Debug Bridge) setup

Pandigital Novel Guides

And of course, it should all be in the PDN Wiki - link subject to change whenver the I.P. board "breaks"

Good luck and have fun

#13 ·
Thanks mrsburnout, (and I am not being snarky here)
I have used search....but it is difficult when you really do not know precisely what you are searching for. Efforts are further hampered by the minimum search word length imposed by the search module, thus being specific or closely descriptive is difficult. I jumped out to G@@gle and searched using boolean operators and found some info that MAY help me....but the threads/posts were short and not overly descriptive.

That said, my WPDN has an /etc/vold.conf file. Will replacing the word "sdcard" with "extsd" fix my current issue with the Novel thinking it is out of space?

Also, does anyone know if using z4root is necessary for certain operations, or is it even worth doing on this unit/FW combination?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.