• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 giubari

giubari

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

So Guys I think it's time to make a Statement Here and Show this on AINOL's Facebook Page, this Forum is Top Results on Google so we need to Advise new potential customers about this AINOL and AMLOGIC bad behaviour and lack of support:

Ainol And Amlogic Are Not Going To Release Any New Kernel, Driver, Source Code For The Next Few Months, So If You Want Jelly Bean Or Decent Custom Roms Like Cyanogen On Your Device Soon Don't Buy Aurora Ii Or Elf Ii, And Even New Burning\Flame Ainol Device, Because You'll Probably Never Get It

Hope to receive Official Answers from AINOL and AMLOGIC but I think we Won't Get any.

Edited by giubari, 23 July 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#42 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Ainol And Amlogic Are Not Going To Release Any New Kernel, Driver, Source Code For The Next Few Months, So If You Want Jelly Bean Or Decent Custom Roms Like Cyanogen On Your Device Soon Don't Buy Aurora Ii Or Elf Ii, And Even New Burning\Flame Ainol Device, Because You'll Probably Never Get It

OK, but this is the same for any 8726-MX tablet not just Ainol. ie, Onda too,etc. Also, going to be the same for RK3066 tablets too. But people are free to complain directly to Ainol & Amlogic, on their Facebook page, about this issue because the kernel source is covered under GPL license.

Please stay calm and just have a little more patience. In another 3-4 weeks, Ainol should come out with Jelly Bean firmware themselves. In any case, you won't get Cyanogen for any of the new Chinese ARM chip tablets until their kernel source is released.

Yuandao is getting close to Jelly Bean firmware release for their N90 Dual (RK3066) tablet. Still not out on their download page but could happen in 1 to 2 weeks time. Yuandao maybe the first with JB firmware. Other Chinese tablet makers will follow too.

I would not worry about Jelly Bean until many other Chinese tablet makers come out with JB firmware too. Right now, none of them have released anything yet though Yuandao appears to be close to getting theirs out soon.

PS, if getting firmware updates is very important to someone then they should buy from a tablet maker that provides good and fast firmware releases. =)

Edited by Nickos-V, 23 July 2012 - 02:06 PM.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#43 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Why do you keep you keep repeating that ainol need to get permission from amlogic?
Repeating something doesn't make it true.
The GPL clearly states that the software must come with an offer of the source code . I didn't buy from amlogic whether they built the chip or not...
The device I brought came from ainol, they supplied the software and have broken the licence.
The licence doesn't say "be patient" it says an offer of code must be supplied with the software.

Fwiw if I'd got patches by now I'd have an early jb build out for the Elf II (don't have a aurora ii sorry)

I've formally requested source from both ainol and amlogic and had no response. The I aim to lodge a formal complaint with GPL violations when I get back of my holidays.
GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#44 Geodex

Geodex

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Why do you keep you keep repeating that ainol need to get permission from amlogic?
Repeating something doesn't make it true.
The GPL clearly states that the software must come with an offer of the source code . I didn't buy from amlogic whether they built the chip or not...
The device I brought came from ainol, they supplied the software and have broken the licence.
The licence doesn't say "be patient" it says an offer of code must be supplied with the software.

Fwiw if I'd got patches by now I'd have an early jb build out for the Elf II (don't have a aurora ii sorry)

I've formally requested source from both ainol and amlogic and had no response. The I aim to lodge a formal complaint with GPL violations when I get back of my holidays.

@fards thanks for your post. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy even if you are not going to make roms for the aurora 2. Once released some more people might be interested and this tablet will be opened to many mods. I was thinking more of reporting Ainol several times that might get their attention. I doubt if GPL violations will hold any water in China considering the amount of clones that pass by yearly but it's worth a try. If you could point out as to what to actually do about that we will be glad to help.

Power to the people :good:

Edited by Geodex, 23 July 2012 - 04:55 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ainol Aurora II/ Pipo Max M1/ Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

#45 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

OK, I will make it little clearer:
#1. Ainol is in violation of GPL because they provide the Android OS w/their tablet which includes compiled, GPL kernel - ELF II & AURORA II, etc.
#2. Amlogic makes 8726-MX chips
#3. Amlogic modifies the kernel source (not Ainol) - The kernel source is seen as belonging to Amlogic since they were the ones that made the changes to it. Not Ainol. Ainol made no changes to kernel source. Ainol only compiled Amlogic's 8726-MX kernel source to make Android OS.
#4. Ainol does not want to piss off Amlogic or else no more 8726-MX chips for Ainol. No more ARM chips from Amlogic to Ainol ever. Other ARM chip makers may also blacklist Ainol over this and not sell them any chips either. ie, you never piss off your part supplier

For #3 above. The source should be made available to everyone because of GPL but just stating how the Chinese see it. ie, Tablet makers see the source as belonging to Amlogic and Amlogic makes decision whether to release it to the public or not.

For #4 above. According to GPL, Ainol is the one in violation but if they ever give out the source they could very likely destroy their relationship with Amlogic and even with other ARM chip makers. So, Ainol will never give out source without Amlogic's approval first. If someone was taking Ainol to court, ie, legal action, then maybe they would risk releasing the source otherwise not going to happen unless Amlogic lets them.

You can go after Ainol and/or Amlogic but Ainol will never release the kernel source without approval from Amlogic first! Doing so may mean A] legal action in China between Amlogic & Ainol (ie, GPL may not be recognized in China) and B] Ainol no longer getting Amlogic chips ever again. Other chip makers may side with Amlogic and never sell to Ainol either. Next thing that happens is Ainol goes out of business.

Reason I say be patient is because same goes with other Chinese chip makers. Same goes for Rockchip RK3066. What about source for that chip? etc., If you force 8726-MX to release source then should do the same for all other chip makers that keep theirs closed. Also, without legal action then very unlikely either Ainol or Amlogic will release source though asking or demanding the source is within your right.

I suggest anyone that wants the source to e-mail and leave Facebook comments for both Ainol and Amlogic. Then see what happens. Very sure Ainol will release JB firmware before they ever release the source. I am trying to point out that this happens with other chip makers too. It is the same story for 8726-MX & RK3066. Maybe others too? I have not checked so cannot say who else for sure. Maybe Freescale i.MX6? TI OMAP4? Samsung Exynos4? Telechips?

PS, Ainol will also release Jelly Bean too. It will happen. Just a matter of time. But if some people really want the source to allow a developer to create a 3rd party JB release then they can certainly ask or demand it from Ainol and/or Amlogic. I wish you all the best of luck in getting the source. =)

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#46 johim

johim

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

Btw, Onda already has JB firmware for their 8726MX tablet.... :)

Edited by johim, 25 July 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#47 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Btw, Onda already as JB firmware for their 8726MX tablet.... :)

I saw that Onda came out with firmware for VI30W dual but no idea if Jelly Bean or not since they do not say on their site. Has to be either JB or ICS.

I will let you guys know when Cube comes out with Jelly Bean firmware so you can put more pressure on Ainol.

Many tablet makers are working on Jelly Bean firmware and right now are in the testing phase. Looks like we should start seeing JB releases for Chinese tablets in 5-14 days time.

Edited by Nickos-V, 24 July 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#48 Great_Solutions

Great_Solutions

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Hello,

Google have released the Jellybean AOSP for their devices, there is no reason why Amlogic should not release the kernel source for their SOC publicly.

However, in the absence of the same, here is how this could be done.

(This method Documented at www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/porting-android)

This is an experimental method and i do not have any proof that this will work, so pl use this at your own risk.

I summarize this method for your quick understanding:-

1) Get the Google AOSP ROM zip file for Jellybean
2) Decompile the AOSP ROM to extract the kernel
3) from the AOSP ROM, extract the RAMDISK & edit the .rc files to point to your target device (Ainol Aurora II)
4) Decompile the Ainol ICS ROM to extract the kernel, kernel modules, hardware libraries
5) Replace the AOSP kernel with extracted kernel
6) Repack kernel & Ramdisk to boot.img
7) Go into the root of AOSP ROM zip & replace Kernel module & Proprietary Hardware Libraries, so the hardware functionality will be maintained.
8) Replace the Keylayout files, so keys are recognized
9) Copy over the mount point information for your device and the WiFi drivers.
10) Ok. We are done..

Keep your fingers crossed & flash this ROM to your device.

For testing purpose, if ainol tablet supports booting from ROM zip file on SD card, then we can test this without touching existing ICS firmware.

I am thinking of buying one & give this a try, however i have to wait for 15-20 days till my tablet arrives.

With Best Regards,

Anand

#49 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,289 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

4. Topic vanished.

So let's try to talk about this again and share news and opinions.

Original topic restored and yours is now merged with it.

Yes I started that topic and can't understand how and when it vanished. You can't even find it with the search function. <---- Sorry for off topic but if we are not suppose to talk about Jelly Bean this thread will also get missing as well.

When a topic is against forum policy, the OP (original poster) is usually notified by the person deleting it. Feel free to send a PM when a topic disappears like that. Not sure what happened? (could have been due to a server refresh or an inadvertent moderator error)

Carry on...
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#50 cartel

cartel

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Amlogic do have the source code sitting on their git server (openlinux.amlogic.com). However you need to be issued an ssh key to be able to download it.
If there was a serious developer community (let's be realistic here - there isn't one for these tablets just yet) they could band together and apply directly to Amlogic to get the ssh key issued so they could get the kernel source, and then begin a jb port.

But likely this would be duplicating the effort of amlogic based tablet manufacturers who are also competing to get their own jb port out as soon as possible - remember, a jb firmware gives them a big advantage in the market. I suspect what will happen in the interim is someone will take one of the JB testing ROMs for the other Amlogic tablets and get it running on the NOVO.

PS the issue with Chinese manufactured SoCs is offline manufacturing - ie someone at the factory running off an extra batch of chips and selling them out of the boot of their car, leading to builds of counterfeit devices. One of the only ways this can be controlled is by strictly limiting access to the source. Technically Amlogic is not in violation of GPL as they are providing the source to their manufacturing partners. It is those partners who are in violation, because they are distributing the kernel in binary form. However in order to stop the proliferation of counterfeit devices which hurts everyone in their ecosystem, it's in their interest to not give out source - until the user community becomes strong enough and vocal enough to force them to do so.

#51 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Cube just released their first Jelly Bean 4.1 firmware today for U30GT (10.1"). Their first and most popular RK3066 tablet.
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__402009

Cube is very likely one of the first to release 4.1 firmware so far. Hopefully Ainol & other tablet makers can do the same in the next 7-10 days. Start e-mailing & Facebooking Ainol if you get no new firmware by that time.

#52 r@dzionkow

r@dzionkow

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

look at this ;)
Amlogic AML8726-MX Linux kernel code released

#53 ginlar

ginlar

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

or ---> https://github.com/f...6_030812release :D

Edited by ginlar, 10 August 2012 - 04:04 PM.

#54 phoenixwright

phoenixwright

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

this is a nice development,, :)

#55 markusjuan

markusjuan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

#56 kwed

kwed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

since the source code has been released for the kernel. Can someone give a quick rundown of what kind of things can be done now? Personally, I want my tablet to wake up when I put it to sleep & not have to reset it :-)

#57 fards

fards

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

Source code hasn't been released by Ainol.

Amlogic released the COMMON kernel source that they ship out to their OEMs
Each OEM changes this to fit their particular devices..

We need Ainols patches really, unless we can reverse engineer what they've changed, that's going to take quite a while.
for example, we don't have the lcd drivers amongst other things.

Anyone with contacts at AINOL or wants to start hammering their BBS and emails please REMIND THEM that they MUST release their changes to the source code.

Edited by fards, 13 August 2012 - 04:19 AM.

GIthub for source codes.

My github collection

If you feel like donating, then Thank You! but don't stress either way.

#58 Sideways danny

Sideways danny

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

Personally, I want my tablet to wake up when I put it to sleep & not have to reset it :-)

this is also my single biggest issue. I'm fairly simplistic in my usage of a tablet, but I want to just use it normally and the basic setting do what they say instead of freeze up and make silly noises. Anything else just doesn't really matter until this is done :)

#59 csiriba

csiriba

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

a new firmware does not help?

#60 phondgeakshay

phondgeakshay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:15 AM