141 replies to this topic

#1 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

this is a generic A13 tablet i purchased from a seller on ########### here in the united states , i did'nt know much about the A13 chip, i looked it up and found out it's just a slightly stripped down Allwinner A10 chip, no hdmi or bluetooth,speedwise they are the same i hear,i hear it consumes less power than the A10 chip, this tablet has 7 inch 5 point capacitive screen, 4gb flash memory, 512mb ram android 4.0 , it's called the yeahpad over at pandawill,it's actually cheaper over at pandawill, but mines is just the next state over from where i live, so i don't mind paying a little more i guess,i owned a A10 tablet that i distroyed fooling around with, will be interestig to compare the A13 and A10 performance, the A10 tablet did have 1 gig of ram though, this one does look better than the A10 tab i owned
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by gsprings44, 06 August 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#2 kethan

kethan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

Waiting for your comparison with a10?

Sent from my HTC HD7 Pro/+ using Tapatalk 2

#3 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

i recieved the A13 tablet that i mentioned above today,and after fooling around with it, my conclusion is that it is like i said the allwinner A10 without hdmi and bluetooth, i ran antutu bench mark and they both came out at 1008 megahertz, my A10 tablet was basically the lyf1 with 1 gb ram, and android 4.0, one thing i noticed is this A13 chip gets pretty hot, this tablet is a little thinner than the lyf1 clone i had also, one thing about the A10 tablet i had,the seller lied about the battery,they said it had a 3200 mah battery, when i looked inside it had a 2200 mah battery, i took out the 2200 mah battery and installed a 4000 mah battery i had taken out of a broken rk 2818 tablet, the A10 tab would go 10 hours with wifi on using the 4000 mah battery

#4 NikitosZs

NikitosZs

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

Hello my dear friends!
If I am not mistaken, I ordered this the same tablet.
Duh!
Do not know whether someone how to do a backup firmware tablet that would later could restore it in case of breaking the firmware? For example a suitable clockworkmod recovery.
gsprings44, Can you give a link to the battery, which is suitable for this tablet, but the larger capacity?

#5 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hello my dear friends!
Duh!
Do not know whether someone how to do a backup firmware tablet that would later could restore it in case of breaking the firmware? For example a suitable clockworkmod recovery.
gsprings44, Can you give a link to the battery, which is suitable for this tablet, but the larger capacity?

any 3.7 volt tablet battery,i can't mention any names of sellers here,but there are a number of chinese wholeseller sites that sell tablet batteries,you may want to reconsider changing the battery in this tablet,it's easy to crack the screen taking it apart and putting it back together,just a warning........
  • NikitosZs likes this

#6 Ugyi007

Ugyi007

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hello my dear friends!
Duh!

Ainol NOVO7 Advanced I Battery size approx.: 6.5x11.7cm.
To buy it here: http://www.ownta.com...eplacement.html

#7 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ainol NOVO7 Advanced I Battery size approx.: 6.5x11.7cm.
To buy it here: http://www.ownta.com...eplacement.html

just a few comments,the 3.7 volt 4000 mah battery i used seemed a perfect fit,i don't know if anything bigger than 4000 mah would fit as good,there is the speaker that you have to clear,you may want to tape the battery down,because it wants to move around when you are closing the tablet back up,and when opening i usually start at the end opposit of the headphone jack and volume button and work my way around both sides,i was able to open it using my fingernail, good luck installing a bigger battery

#8 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

another thing i did while i was putting in a bigger battery was take a small drill bit,put it in a drill and drilled some holes in the back casing over where the A13 chip is, because i noticed how hot this chip gets when watching video or playing games etc,could just be me,but it did seem to help

Edited by gsprings44, 06 August 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#9 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

That's a good plan, of course, best to drill the holes when the tablet is fully opened and keep all the swarf away. Thinking about it, best to drill a whole patch of holes and then add a guaze piece on the inside to filter any dust/ingress over time. Even dropping the cpu temp by a degree or two will help. Adding a heatsink probably is a better approach.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#10 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

well, i wound up selling this tablet to my brother, and purchased a ainol tornados,my verdict on the generic A13 tablet is that it is a really good looking tablet and it works very well,the only downside was the 2200 mah battery that came in it,but that can be fixed if you know what you are doing by putting in, i recommend a 4000 mah 3.7 volt battery

#11 the720k

the720k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

I just ordered one of these unbranded, yet unmistakable "Yeahpad PILLBOX7" tablets tonight - Paid almost $30 more than if I had ordered from a Hong Kong drop-shipper, but I'm not too enthusiastic about the waiting game when it comes to cheap Chinese electronics anymore, especially since I've had two orders in the past couple years pulled by customs. If you think shipping is slow normally, wait until customs decides to keep one of your packages in their warehouse for a few extra weeks. So I did the same thing as gsprings44 did and found a seller in my state that carries these in their inventory. Still, at $90 shipped, I am highly impressed with what I've been seeing so far on Youtube and other sites. I feel like I've gone through a time warp into the distant future, where sub-$100 Chinese Android tablets aren't utterly useless pieces of crap and may very serve a purpose other than to be psychic tormentors.

I'm going to go ahead and run with a tangent here, folks. Feel free to read or not.

This will be my third Android tablet, and I'm hoping it'll be the first one I don't get an excessively bad taste in my mouth over. My first tablet was an m70003. At the time, I was new to Android tablets and a touch naive about the lengths the low-rent population of Shenzhen manufacturers will go to polish a turd and sell it as gold. I messed with that tablet for a few weeks and almost made a custom ROM for it, but grew frustrated that no matter how much I tweaked it, it was very slow and not worthwhile, not to mention the resistive screen was just plain awful. I tore it apart and accidentally ruined the touchscreen ribbon cable. Oh well, not a big loss.

Then I scoured local store ads for a cheap capacitive-based tablet. Found one that looked great at first - the Velocity Cruz T10x (in my case, I got it at Sears, so it was the T104.) Loved/hated it. The case was unbelievably well-built, battery access was easy, and it was somewhat zippy at times. It could have been such a wonderful machine, but Velocity engineers must have been experimenting with heavy psychedelic drugs on the day that they finalized the spec sheet, and opted not to use, you know, only the freaking industry standard- ARM, and went with an Ingenic (MIPS-based) SoC instead. MIPS. effing MIPS. >:o( Nonetheless, a handful of us Cruz Tinkerers here had found out how to install the Market and gain an almost-full root on the tablet. Eventually, the manufacturer released a firmware update that they claimed would never be released, so we got Froyo. Yay. By then, most of us were losing interest, and despite the update's improved Davlik module, it still ran like crap most of the time. Plus the capacitive screen, while built like a tank, was very unresponsive. Still not sure to this day whether the bad responsiveness on the screen was actually the screen or just poor software performance. The aggravating thing is that the code, if I recall correctly, for this tablet was NOT optimized for MIPS, so we were floating in mipsel land when a hard-float kernel and binaries would have yielded a far more usable product and countless word-of-mouth recommendations from the little core group of Cruz tinkerers. Eventually, a dev created a port of CWM for the tablet, which I assisted the dev in testing his builds (he didn't own one, just a tab with the same SoC.) So maybe someday there will be a future for this thing. Maybe. I'll keep it in the junk drawer until that day happens. Or until I cannibalize it for parts to possibly connect to my Raspberry Pi.

So this brings me to this white-label a13 tablet. I almost cringe to refer to it as an actual brand name with a model name, as most of these tablets only use brand names as rudimentary markers to distinguish one cheap product from the other, not to imply that there are really "brands" per se in this niche market, save a few (Archos, Pandigital, etc, but even they seem a bit suspect to me.) Again, everything I've seen so far indicates that these A13s are pretty amazing devices, complete with capacitive screens, decent SoC, video hardware acceleration, smooth ICS operation, and even a pre-installed Google Play app. Can't believe that it's only been a couple of years since devices like the m70003 were the representative of the normal class of tablets in the world of sub-$100 devices! I just hope I wasn't overlooking some major flaw when I decided to order.

</tangent>

I also hope it's not too hard to root this thing, though I think I read somewhere that some A13-based tablets come pre-rooted? Is this true?
Posted Image

#12 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:30 AM

Have you asked your supplier for a copy of the firmware?
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#13 Sly33

Sly33

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:55 AM

My Icoo D50 Lite was rooted when i got it from China.

#14 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

i hope you enjoy this tablet,i am sure it is rooted

#15 rohil

rohil

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

i bought a voyo q901 9inch a13 tablet

any roms available??
stock firmware??

#16 gsprings44

gsprings44

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCharotte NC

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

you know what,my generic A13 tab worked so good out of the box,i felt no need to look for a custom rom,i destroyed a few tabs loading custom roms,so it was nice to get a tablet that i felt everything worked fine for a change,if your A13 tablet works fine out of the box, leave it alone in my opinion,your not going to get anymore speed out of these A13 chips,i think they are pushed to the limit as it is,you can tell that by how warm they get

#17 the720k

the720k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

you know what,my generic A13 tab worked so good out of the box,i felt no need to look for a custom rom...

My thoughts exactly so far. I've been adopting that philosophy a lot lately. Bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 back in April, and performance was so good on it that I didn't want to play with a 3rd party ROM. Downloaded the regular ICS "leaks" *cough, cough, intentional beta releases* before ICS was officially available, but they were all legit Samsung ROMs. My thinking was basically that the manufacturer was actually staying on top of their device and making a quality firmware, so why ruin a good thing by introducing buggy alpha ROMs? Sure, I rooted the phone and tweaked the heck out of it, but never felt the need to go custom.

From the little bit I'm seeing of these A13 tablets, it seems to be the same kind of story. Performance is just plain impressive, and if everything works the way it's supposed to, and I can get root, which most people seem to agree that they usually come pre-rooted, there seems to be no need to put on a hacked ROM. The A13 really looks like a breath of fresh air in a world of garbage tablets all over fleabay and elsewhere. I can't wait for it to arrive. Hoping it'll be here this week!

Edited by the720k, 07 August 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

#18 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm not talking about a custom ROM, have you asked your supplier for a backup copy .img file of the firmware that is on your A13 in the first place? - comparing the experience on a Galaxy S2 with Samsung firmware to a generic Shenzhen A13 tablet is far off base and I would encourage you to obtain that .img file from the supplier while they're still showing interest in the tablet.

The very fact that a tablet can come from the factory pre-rooted is not really a bonus feature if you don't have an image file available for the inevitable explosion.

Not preaching, just warning.

#19 the720k

the720k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

No, I get exactly what you're saying, and I appreciate it; I was merely agreeing with gsprings44. If it's rooted, though, couldn't I just dump all the partitions to a flash drive using dd? I'm very experienced with Linux, so even if I managed to bork the system partition, as long as I could get into an adb shell in recovery mode, I should be able to just dd if=system.img of=[system partition], right?

To be safe, though, I did fire off a quick email requesting the firmware from my vendor when you first suggested it. It's always a good idea to have a full dump.

Edited by the720k, 07 August 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Posted Image

#20 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

I think what ppl are finding is that there is no recovery mode on the A13 and that "out of the box" and especially without the suppliers cooperation, the USB drivers are non existent, so, using Livesuite 1.07 or 1.09 is the option (not ADB) and the program can be a bit on the buggy side : I had the issue with my A10 and I went down the rabbit hole to install CWM, after that, I was a happy camper.

Like with the generic A13, I bugged my supplier over and over until he dropboxxed the .img to me, it did not matter after all that as I swapped it for an Ampe A76 A13, however, same thing with that A13, no built in recovery, Livesuite .img through windblows.