New Firmware update for G9T

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

The download section of Gemei has released new firmware update for Gemei G9t. Here is some observation from installing the new update.

1. Antutu Benchmark has jumped from 6600 to ~7300. CPU 3778, GPU 1317, RAM 1320, I/O 886.
2. No application is install by default after upgrade. The unit revert back to blank state as your old app/game are all gone. There are two apk in the extracted folder that you can install. One apk is the their app store and the other is.. bookstore?
3. I went right back to rooting the units with the first 2 steps but "adb root" command still gave me the same production error. However, the SU app is running ok.

Please note that the download section indicate that the firmware only apply to units in the specified Range of serial number. My unit is within the range.

In case you are wondering what's stated in the update instruction >
1. Power the unit off and make sure you have >60% battery charge.
2. Extract all the content of G9T_A4.0.3_V1.00_CHS_1.2V-20120625 into root of SD card.
3. Insert the SD card into G9t
4. Hold the Back button of unit first then hold the power button to power on.
5. After the units is power on, you can let go the power button but keep holding the back button.
6. When you see the picture of android with strange shape spinning in front of him, the update install has started. You can let go the back button and watch.
7. The status bar will go from left to right. When the update is completed, the unit will power down.
8. Hold the power button a bit longer to power the unit back on.

Good luck.

Piggy.

Edited by piggysd, 28 June 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#2 valkje

valkje

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi piggysd,
thanks for this great information. In the meantime there is yet another newer version... pls allow me one question though: you wrote that "the firmware only apply to units in the specified Range of serial number". How do I find out what the specified range of serial numbers is? Can't find anything in the readme files...

Thx in advance
valkje

The download section of Gemei has released new firmware update for Gemei G9t. Here is some observation from installing the new update.

1. Antutu Benchmark has jumped from 6600 to ~7300. CPU 3778, GPU 1317, RAM 1320, I/O 886.
2. No application is install by default after upgrade. The unit revert back to blank state as your old app/game are all gone. There are two apk in the extracted folder that you can install. One apk is the their app store and the other is.. bookstore?
3. I went right back to rooting the units with the first 2 steps but "adb root" command still gave me the same production error. However, the SU app is running ok.

Please note that the download section indicate that the firmware only apply to units in the specified Range of serial number. My unit is within the range.

2. Extract all the content of G9T_A4.0.3_V1.00_CHS_1.2V-20120625 into root of SD card.
5. After the units is power on, you can let go the power button but keep holding the back button.
6. When you see the picture of android with strange shape spinning in front of him, the update install has started. You can let go the back button and watch.
7. The status bar will go from left to right. When the update is completed, the unit will power down.

Good luck.

Piggy.

#3 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi Valkje,

The range of serial is in the information section of previous update post? Looks like the new update on 7/02 does not include this information anymore. I wonder if all the unit apply with the new update now?

Thanks,

Piggy

详情 << information

Content >> The range of qualify unit with serial number.

固件升级注意事项:
①此固件仅适合于以下序列号在内的歌美G9T机器,如不是此序列号在内的机器升级此固件版本带来的不良后果本公司不付任何责任:
0252SL2200001—0252SL2200080
0252SL2210001—0252SL2210262
0252SL2220263—0252SL2220700
0252SL2230001—0252SL2230110
0252SL2010102
0252SL2010115

Edited by piggysd, 02 July 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#4 valkje

valkje

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

Hi piggysd,
yesterday I updated to Version 20120627 successfully. The only thing that is bothering me is that any movie that I play is not running smoothly. No matter which player I use. Same thing happens with the included movie player as well as with MX Player. The effect is that the movie does not run with the same speed all the time. Every 2 seconds or so it speeds up for a very short time... really annoying!!!
Do you have the same effect?

Regards
valkje

#5 OlegS

OlegS

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Hi,

I upgraded to Version 20120627 (don't know what was factory version)as well. And have exactly the same problems with video playback as valkje.

Reason for upgrade was a problem with sound on .mkv files playback. Sound track interrupted with loud hissing noice every second. This was happening when hardware acceleration was in use.

Going to downgrade to 20120625 and report results.

Regards
Oleg

#6 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

Valkj and Oleg,

Yea, I am seeing the same thing as well. The youtube HD play back also has this strange sudden speed up. Between CPU switch speed or GPU hardware acceleration, I think it's GPU side.

Thanks,

Piggy

#7 valkje

valkje

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

Hi Oleg and Piggysd,
thanx for your confirmation of the problem... I am having a problem downgrading to 2506. If you are succesful, pls tell me how you did it.
In the meantime I am now using dice player (the one with the ads from the market). This player does not have the lagging effect.

Grtz
valkje

#8 d3rd1gg3

d3rd1gg3

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Good luck.

Piggy.

Is it possible to update without an sdcard? i do not have one!
In "recovery mode" i recieve the Message that the /sdcard could not be mounted!

#9 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Is it possible to update without an sdcard? i do not have one!
In "recovery mode" i recieve the Message that the /sdcard could not be mounted!

d3rd1gg3,

I don't see any desktop software that update img file to the unit in their website. However, the zip file for the update is only about 130mb. You will only need small size micro sd card to update firmware. With the issue of stutter on the video playback, you might hold off update until the next one. I suspect it's relate to the GPU driver.

Piggy

Edited by piggysd, 07 July 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#10 CQTobias

CQTobias

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Anyone having updated to the latest firmware 20120627 with a serial number that was not mentioned to be compatible in the 20120625 update? Did it work? Mine is not compatible with the previous so I would be happy if someone could make me dare to update to the latest one...
Thanks my new friends,
Tobias

#11 valkje

valkje

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi Tobias,

the update itself works fine. Only thing is the problem with the video (see earlier postings).

You can use Dice Player to circumvent the problem until the next update, which will hopefully come out soon.

Cheers
valkje

Edited by valkje, 08 July 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#12 OlegS

OlegS

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:25 AM

Well, I downgraded to 20120625 from 20120627 and problem with video playback was there as well.
After that I did factory reset and this problem just gone!
I took tablet with me on the airplane and was happily watching it over 9 hours and battery was still alive.
Yesterday tablet hang and, after reboot, problem came back.
As it was written earlier - "Every 2 seconds or so it speeds up for a very short time".
Did factory reset again and problem disappeared.......
Good news - it can be fixed.
Bad news - you need factory reset every time to fix it. Bugger!!!

I'm going to upgrade back to the latest 20120627 and report here...

#13 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I did some fiddle and discover that the problem will show up right after reboot. However, if you put the unit to sleep for sometimes, it will stop doing it. Weird..

Piggy

#14 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

Looks like Gemei released another firmware update 20120709. This one seems to have fixed the stutter issue.

Piggy

#15 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

Humm.. Looks like I spoke to soon. After some reboot, this issue does comes back. I have also noticed that the GPU performance seems to jump up and down in each reboot.

Piggy

#16 OlegS

OlegS

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

Hi,
Just to confirm - 20120709 yet a crap firmware with the same video playback problem.
Stock player suffer all the time.
MX-Player seems to copy a little better.

Oleg

#17 Jason Matsoukas

Jason Matsoukas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi,
Just to confirm - 20120709 yet a crap firmware with the same video playback problem.
Stock player suffer all the time.
MX-Player seems to copy a little better.

Oleg

My Gemei G9T came with first firmware release.

I haven't tried video yet, but you people that have, the issue was as well in this firmware?

Should I refrain from upgrading to newest firmware?

Edited by Jason Matsoukas, 16 July 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#18 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Gemei has release a new update 20120726. Here is couple observation.

> The video stutter issue is fixed.
> Battery in standby consumption drop from the 200+ma down to 60-70ma now.

The boot up logo has been alter and the default environment also had many change in look. Overall, I would say that this update is keeper.

Piggy

#19 Jason Matsoukas

Jason Matsoukas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

Gemei has release a new update 20120726. Here is couple observation.

> The video stutter issue is fixed.
> Battery in standby consumption drop from the 200+ma down to 60-70ma now.

The boot up logo has been alter and the default environment also had many change in look. Overall, I would say that this update is keeper.

Piggy

Thanx for the info! Will try in a bit!

Are the following details correct for this firmware as well?

I should have the following files in my root directory of an external sd card?

CustomFile (folder)
factory_update_param
g24ref_40181-ota-eng.ringsd.zip
patch_g24ref_40181_g9t_v2_20_0728.zip
u-boot.bin
uImage_recovery

Also, do you know what the txt (更新内容.txt) file says?

It looks like instructions or changelog....

Good luck.

Piggy.

EDIT: Worked fine with above method!! THANKS!

Edited by Jason Matsoukas, 30 July 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#20 piggysd

piggysd

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Thanx for the info! Will try in a bit!

Are the following details correct for this firmware as well?

I should have the following files in my root directory of an external sd card?

CustomFile (folder)
factory_update_param
g24ref_40181-ota-eng.ringsd.zip
patch_g24ref_40181_g9t_v2_20_0728.zip
u-boot.bin
uImage_recovery

Also, do you know what the txt (更新内容.txt) file says?

It looks like instructions or changelog....

EDIT: Worked fine with above method!! THANKS!

Yes, you have the correct content of file needed on SD root. Glad to hear that you got the firmware update going.

The 更新内容.txt has the same content as the information (详情) link that was on the left side of download link. Most information is relate to the software update / upgrade.

http://www.gemeitech...Down.asp?id=218

Piggy

Edited by piggysd, 30 July 2012 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users