Android Tablets Forum banner

Do Not Downgrade WPDN from SL20_20120224 to S10 or SH20 FW

50K views 145 replies 24 participants last post by  bossmanx 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just tried to flash your OPDN v2.1.0 BASE - SH20_OPDN_2_10_BASE_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip file to my new pandigital novel 7" white and now I have a black screen with 0 way of getting the novel back online. What have I done wrong/what can I do. I followed the instructions and now I am trying to get this thing back online.
I am fairly familiar with flashing having done 3 phones one of them several times.
I am well versed in the adb methods.
Can anyone help me.
Please

See less See more
#6 ·
Or you can try the end of a paperclip in the reset hole. Also, sometimes the 3 handed reset will work to start a flash from the state where the unit is frozen at the blue Pandigital screen. That is holding volume up and power on while pressing the reset button with the end of a paperclip and continue to hold the volume up and power on. Not sure if these will work if you are not getting the red charging light though. That could mean a brick and more drastic measures may be needed. There are several good threads on that if you do a search.

#7 ·
Yes I get the red light, Yes I have tried a reset. Yes I have tried to reflash... here is the dilemma, all these steps are helpful but not a resolution. I read through all the help articles I can find on this subject. Here is what I can say. I still have a black screen. I have a 2nd pandigital for my boss that is identical so here are the specs.

firmware:SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

Please help. also is there any way to clone from another pandigital that may be my other option.
this sucks and I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.
I only wanted to root and get the play store.
Other than that we have very little need to modify this PDN

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any tips as far as what I can do to get this PDN(firmware:SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP) to become a regular Android Tablet... Walkthrough or Otherwise would be helpful.
Anyone else had this happen to them as far as bricking due to new pandigital not working using these directions. Any Help at all would be great

Thank you all for your advice, help, and tips.
-Erik

#12 ·
Hey guys, I could really use some help over here. First off I'd like to thank everyone here for such a great job. I have a WPDN with the SH20 FW that I flashed with kewlguys upgrade and now I get market and everything. Really makes these novels useful. Now for the problem. My wife liked mine so much we went and got her one. I tried flashing kewlguys alternate fw for sh20 and now all I have is a black screen. The novel won't turn on or anything. I tried pulling the battery, reset, 3 way reset, everything. I really need some help, my wife is gonna kill me! The only difference that I noticed on hers was she has SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP fw on hers. Can this be fixed?? Thank you so much for your help.

Also, if this helps any...when it is turned off and plugged in the charging light does come on. When I turn it on and push the volume key I get the beeps and when I plug it into the computer the novel makes the sound of plugging in the usb. But the screen is black.

#13 ·
I had the exact same problem.
I assume that this is a firmware incompatibility.
I don't know the code very well but it would appear that if you having already flashed the firmware previously the new SL Firmware appears to be screwing something up when following the wiki directions.
I ran into a roadblock that I couldn't get out of. The good news is mine was under warranty through Walmart and they are clueless and replaced it no harm no foul.
I recommend returning/exchanging because until some sort of patch for this screen issue is released we are stuck.

#14 ·
Oh man. I was hoping to be able to flash back to original FW or something. I'm not sure how I would even do that though. I tried flashing to SLD20 and SH20 FW but it won't do anything the screen just stays black. So as of right now there is nothing that I can do to fix this??? It went so smooth when I updated mine...

#16 ·
Again, I a no expert but sadly looking all over the how to and help menu's for the upgraded fw or downgraded fw, it is you and me. We followed the how to flash and here we are black screen non responsive and the only thing you can do is look at it and say HMPH? I dont understand. Though I will say this. If you are familiar with adb your novel should still be readable from adb however I was unable to push things to it. If anyone on here knows of a work around it may be helpful.

The question is: what gets corrupted in the flash process that causes both the screen to go dark(off) and the WPDN to seemingly become a read only file system... not that it provides a whole lot on the pull functions either.

Let me know if you come across any fix or help.
-Erik-

#17 ·
Has anyone been successful in flashing from stock fw SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP to any of the previous SH20's or downgrading to S10 FW.
I cannot seem to do this either way and bricked 2 stock fw SL20_20120224_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP WPDN's with a Black screen and noises/charging light still working. After flashing any file via vol up and power it goes to 100% flashed and upon reboot the screen never lights up again. Please advise and help.
Thank you
-Erik-

#18 ·
Erik,

I think you need to tell us a little more about your Pandigital Novel. Where did you you purchase them from? What is there model number? can you describe it physically (size, does it have cameras) at least

It doesn't sound like you have what we consider a true white pandigital novel...possible QVC model or another model. You may be trying to flash the wrong firmware for your model.

I have flashed almost all the roms made for the WPDN on my true WPDN with very little problems so they work. Have you changed (or updated) your internal Micro SD card?

We will try and help but need more info.....

Everett1954

#20 ·
I can help out a little since it sounds like Erik and I have the exact same problem. I bought this for my wife from Walmart. Model #R7T40WWHF1. There is no camera. It is exactly like mine - model #PRD07T10WWH7(refurbished) except it had different fw(mine SH20_2011. Hers SL20_2012). It included nook instead of B&N app that mine came with. Also I noticed there was no calendar app on hers. Hers also came with 4 gig internal card where mine only has 1 gig. Oh hers charges with DC 5V and mine charges with DC 12V...weird. Is this now just a paperweight? Thanks. -holla

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since that firmware doesn't even exist on their mirror site, we cannot look at it and see how it is incompatible with the other firmware. I have been trying to look at the details of the hardware and try and tell if it is different, it appears the same except for the internal SD card. The internal memory is listed as bigger, not sure that is correct. I would say to try and flash the market only flash that Kewlguy has if you have one that hasn't already been black screened. However, I would be hesitent to even suggest that not knowing more about this Walmart version.I don't believe that flash contains anything anything that can harm the OS like the kernal or recovery file. I would say you might need to adb push the recovery file over to the unit through usb to get it to reboot, but we don't have an SL 2012 firmware recovery file.

Edit: Here is a very good thread on recovering through adb, however not sure if you have the files from the SL firmware available to complete this or have adb setup on your PC.

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/24232-how-to-part-3-recovering-your-bricked-wpdn-because-ya-didnt-follow-part-2-correctly/

#26 ·
In the meantime is it possible to put into the other thread to avoid flashing if you have our firmware SL20
That will help others to not do it until this is resolved (if it can be)
Sorry I cannot get you the firmware. Is there a way I can pull it from my unbricked device.
I would be more than happy to help.
-Erik-

#30 ·
WPDNholla and Erik,

As you have shown, your Walmart model R7T40WWHF1 is a revised version of PRDO7T10WWH7 (this is the version I have) and is NOT software compatible with the Firmware upgrades on here.

Your only bet is to get back to the original factory firmware SL_20120224 but that might not be easy.

It is not on Pandigitals fw support site. (I just checked)

You can email them asking them to email you the firmware or point you to it. Tell them you accidentily update to to wrong firmware.

You can try the Pandigital Upgrader that is a PC download from there website....you will have to connect your reader and PC a USB cable and you may have to try hitting the reset button while running the software. It needs to find the serial number of your unit which is stored in flash. If it doesn't find it, It will give you other options. Also Try removing the internal microsd card and put it in a card reader attached to your PC and see if you see the SL firmware there, copy it to your desktop, format the microsd card and replace the firmware from the desktop (you only want the sl.zip file on internal card. With the external SD card removed, try the volume up/pwr on sequence used while flashing a rom and see if it loads.

I hope these help.

Everett1954

#33 ·
I have one of those new sL versions (white) that I *JUST NOW* got in the mail from walmart online.
I have successfully rooted it using z4root installed via adb (running KUbunutu Linux).
I am willing to help/contribute anything i can towards getting this thing running an open tablet with market and gapps.
Specifically I NEED the Square Card Reader App to run on the thing.
but mostly i just dont like running limited proprietary software...

#36 ·
I would think it's time to advise people to be very wary of getting current "Novels".

So far, there's been at least three versions that I have heard of, the original white one, the black one which is compatible, and now this white one which is not. There's probably more.

Before I got mine, I checked here and made sure I got the right model before purchasing. Wouldn't surprise me if Pandigital is capitalizing on WPDN's notoriety and throwing out newer, different models with different hardware under the 'Novel' name to capitalize on it. Support doesn't seem to be their strong suit...

In essence, check the model number on the box, and check here before you buy!

#37 ·
Wouldn't surprise me if Pandigital is capitalizing on WPDN's notoriety and throwing out newer, different models with different hardware under the 'Novel' name to capitalize on it.
That's funny...yeah...sure...because Panditial Novel is a well known brand in the tablet market
. More likely minor hardware changes internally, but externally no changes so no need to spend money on new manuals, boxing, etc.

#43 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok. Here is an upload of the following to Mediafire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?23fffougjo22k

Model number
PD_Novel

Firmware version
SL20_20120223_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

Kernal version
eric@ubuntu BSP_3_01_005_20120214 Fri Feb 24 18:35:35 CST 2012

Build Number
PD_Novel 2012.02.04

_________________________________________________________________________________
build.prop

Code:
<br />
<br />
# begin build properties<br />
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh<br />
ro.build.id=pandigitalopc1/sourceidDL00000009<br />
ro.build.display.id=PD_Novel 2012.02.24<br />
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.eric.20120224.184929<br />
ro.build.version.sdk=5<br />
ro.build.version.codename=Eclair<br />
ro.build.version.release=Eclair<br />
ro.build.date=2012年 02月 24日 星期五 18:56:11 CST<br />
ro.build.date.utc=1330080971<br />
ro.build.type=eng<br />
ro.build.user=eric<br />
ro.build.host=ubuntu<br />
ro.build.tags=test-keys<br />
ro.product.brand=sec<br />
ro.product.name=sec_smdk6410<br />
ro.product.board=<br />
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi<br />
ro.product.manufacturer=unknown<br />
ro.product.locale.language=mdpi<br />
ro.product.locale.region=<br />
ro.wifi.channels=<br />
ro.board.platform=s3c6410<br />
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device<br />
ro.build.product=smdk6410<br />
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint<br />
ro.build.description=sec_smdk6410-eng Eclair pandigitalopc1/sourceidDL00000009 eng.eric.20120224.184929 test-keys<br />
ro.build.fingerprint=sec/sec_smdk6410/smdk6410/:Eclair/pandigitalopc1/sourceidDL00000009/eng.eric.20120224.184929:eng/test-keys<br />
# end build properties<br />
#<br />
# system.prop for smdk6410<br />
#<br />
op.mmi.mywifimac=<br />
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libreference-ril.so<br />
rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyS0<br />
keyguard.no_require_sim=true<br />
ro.sf.lcd_density=160<br />
<br />
#<br />
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES<br />
#<br />
ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg<br />
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg<br />
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=1<br />
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL<br />
net.bt.name=Android<br />
ro.config.sync=yes<br />
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt<br />
<br />

#52 · (Edited by Moderator)
*The file must remain zipped.

Using Windows 7

Remove any external SD card you may have in your WPDN

Navigate to your Libraries folder/Computer
Connect your powered on WPDN to your PC
You should see a new (device)drive letter (e.g. D:) listed for your WPDN
Click on that folder to see it's contents and the zip file should be there. (It will be named this: SL20_20120223_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip)
You may right click/copy to your computer in a folder of your choosing (windoze will prompt you)
Once the copy is complete, use a free file sharing site, upload the zipped file and post the link.

Thanks

#50 ·
Going back to something mrsburnout mentioned earlier, does your internal SD card show up as 2 mb, partitioned in half as in the SH20 Firmware, or 4 mb as in the S10 firmware. That could be causing the issues when trying to go to the SH20 firmware from the SL20, perhaps the partitioning fails similar to what happens when someone tries to go back to the S10 firmware from the SH20 firmware except we generally got flash loops.

#54 ·
My PD_Novel folder shows up empty.

Code:
<br />
<br />
michael@michael-HP-G71-Notebook-PC:~/Public/Android/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools$ ./adb remount<br />
remount succeeded<br />
michael@michael-HP-G71-Notebook-PC:~/Public/Android/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools$ ./adb shell<br />
# ls<br />
sqlite_stmt_journals<br />
config<br />
cache<br />
PD_Novel<br />
sdcard<br />
d<br />
etc<br />
system<br />
sys<br />
sbin<br />
proc<br />
init.smdk6410.rc<br />
init.rc<br />
init.goldfish.rc<br />
init<br />
default.prop<br />
data<br />
root<br />
dev<br />
# cd PD_Novel<br />
# ls<br />
# exit<br />
michael@michael-HP-G71-Notebook-PC:~/Public/Android/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools$ ./adb pull /PD_Novel<br />
pull: building file list...<br />
0 files pulled. 0 files skipped.<br />
michael@michael-HP-G71-Notebook-PC:~/Public/Android/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools$ ./adb pull /PD_Novel/<br />
pull: building file list...<br />
0 files pulled. 0 files skipped.<br />
michael@michael-HP-G71-Notebook-PC:~/Public/Android/android-sdk-linux/platform-tools$ <br />
<br />

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.