Android Tablets Forum banner

Window N90 clones (RK3066)

43K views 68 replies 14 participants last post by  bach0405 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Updates in red; Last update : August 15th
Hi everyone,
as suggested by Jez, I open this topic to share experiences on Window N90 dual core clones.

I recently received a 97s from everising company.

I will update this topic with my experience on :
hardware
software
connectivity
app compatibility
firmware availability

Since I don't have any programing skills, my comments will be from a lamba user. I will try to add pictures to this topic.

any suggestions?

97S Review

Custom ROM

A custom ROM is available at http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum/showthread.php?1707-Release-orgos-Version-1-0-Date-13-08-12 from Orgos

Features :

Firmware version 4.0.04
Boot version 1.10
Increase apps size to 3Gb (more space for personal use)
Built from R2000 rom
Minor build.prop modifications for stability and compatibility
Installed latest version of busybox
Pre-rooted
Go launcher HD added
Removed chinese apps
Customizable first logon
Custom boot animation. (Thanks to aph for Android Particle Ring)
New system ui and framework apk's
Added Total commander.
Update google apps
Add wifix apps for known issues with wifi reconnections.
Added CWM recovery

Comments : works well on 97s, CWM recovery and pre rooted version are great, more room for apps (3GB) was what I wished.

Root (may be outdated with new custom ROM)

Use at your own risks

Rooted using Superoneclick 2.3.3; see following topic :

http://forum.xda-dev...269&postcount=3

I removed the chinese apps

Now I have access to the build.prop to improve app compatibility if possible. I chose Samsung Galaxy II properties.

To have a fully rooted device, I had to download the SuperSU for ICS, available on the market.

Software

NOVA 3 and shadow gun work flawlessly
I had to add Googlecalendarsync to synchronize with SPB shell 3D.
Machinarium works flawlessly
Mass effect infiltrator works very well
Max Payne works, kind of : I think the game is not adapted to 4:3 devices yet, command locations are slightly misplaced
News republic and appy geek : impossible to watch videos fixed with the 0608 firmware

Hardware

The back is in matt black plastic : better for fingerprints. It fact, it is in aluminium covered by a black skin
The device is thin (< 10 mm), there is no cracking at all when using it.
I have not measured the weight yet, but it seems heavy (> 600 g ?).

On the left from top to bottom : Power button, headphones
On the top : menu and sound power
On the right : from top to bottom : esc, tf card, mic, hdmi, usb, otg, dc, and speakers (x2)

back (rigt side) : camera
front (left side) : camera

Power supply is 5V 2000mA with a non standard connector (thinner)

32 GB TF card : no problem to read and write. There is about 1 mm of TF card remaining out of the housing ; easier to remove but easier to have it removed accidentally !
Weird symbols appeared about 3 days after formatting it in FAT32. As mentioned in another topic, I formatted in NTFS, and it works well. No problem even to write on it! I can even store movies with a size > 4 GB

About the display
It is a standard IPS screen, and since the resolution is not that great, one can see the pixels, but that's what one can expect for the price.
There is a small light leak on the right side of the display, visible on black screens, and light is visible through the connectors (HDMI, usb).
I don't know if my device has been used to fix the firmware bugs but the display is somewhat burnt, ie when the screen is black I see a dark blue circle which corresponds to the locker.
Since there isn't enough difference between 0 brightness and 100% brightness, I use the screen filter app to decrease the light. It decreases the brightness when the ambient light is low, in order not to damage the eyes.

Connection with a 3,5 " HDD is OK : fluid music and videos
Connection with my 2,5" non powered HDD was not possible. I had to use a 5V battery to power the disk and a Y usb cable. I think that there isn't sufficient juice through the micro USB to power the HDD.

About HDMI out
I was able to connect it to different PC monitors or HDTV. I observed some weird things :
Sound is still active on the device and the sound settings don't work : sound is at it maximum. On the monitor, sound cannot be monitored by the device;
As an alternative, it is possible to connect to the TV with a jack cable
When I used other android devices, reading video, the tablet screen was black except the commands. Here the device is still active. I have not checked yet if I can get a full HD movie on my 1080p TV.
Since it is a 4:3 device, you may not have a full image on your 16:9 TV (I have not find the good settings yet on my monitor)
I hope it will be solved with upcoming firmwares.

Cameras are bad as usual, especially with low light, but I don't use them.

Speakers are very weak. To get a good sound I plug (usb + jack) a Logitech laptop speaker.
Sound from headphones is OK
To increase a little bit the speaker output, I use SpeakerBoost. It may be dangerous for the speakers and there may be sound saturation.

Bluetooth
I tried Bluetooth with Philips headphones SHB9001. No problem to pair.
Sound is OK for music
I observed a time lag between sound and image during videos (I read that transformer prime has the same problem, due to Android 4.0.4?). I have commands on the headphone but they seem not to be recognized by the device.

Accelerometer in Riptide works well.

I have a problem of screen orientation after using a portrait only app. For example, if I use TED air app, the menu is in portrait mode, and when I go back to the launcher menu, it is stuck in portrait mode, even after closing the app. I have to reboot the device. fixed with wheter the firmware update or the app I use : Rotate

WIFI : OK but the signal is weaker than for my NOVO Aurora

I have not measured the battery life but I can use the device a full day without charging. If I have time, I'll do a Antutu test.

Benchmarks

Standard Quadrant benchmark : 4394 (cpu : 7446; Mem : 4685; I/O : 6539 ; 2D : 1000 (I forced GPU to be used for 2D in settings); 3D : 2327). For the 2D and 3D tests: frame rate is 60 fps.
Performance between HTC one X (4700) and Asus TF 201 (4000)
max freq : 1608
min freq : 252
Bogo mips : 2831

Antutu results :
CPU : 4160 ; GPU : 1538 ; RAM : 1453 ; I/O : 813
TOTAL : 7964

If clocked at 1416 Mhz, Nenamark 2= 56,9 fps on demand

Firmwares
what is written in the tablet properties :
rk30_ics_v2 11.00
rk30sdk-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D eng.wuhao.20120525.095927 test-keys

Conclusion :
Quite a good tablet for the price (price is decreasing : best price I found : less 230 US$ HK post transportation included)
Pro
new custom ROM
easy to root
really fast (browser, explorer, games, pdf readers)
long battery life (no heat observed)
good build
display reasonnably bright
available connections : hdmi, usb, Tf card, jack
working bluetooth for music
very very rare crashes and reboot
accelerometer working

Average
Wifi strength
Screen resolution

Con
bad cameras (enough for occasional pictures and webcam)
sometimes blocked on portrait mode
HDMI out with no sound control
Sound lag in videos using bluetooth
built-in speakers

A few drawbacks which don't spoil the user experience and which could, for most of them, be solved by firmware updates.
People from Everising told me that the firmware is not publicly out, but I will be informed when updates are released.

Wish list
as for my aurora :
auto-hide task bar : very helpful in games, video and pdf viewers : I just tried gmd hidebar and it works using busybox
image patches to have increased storage for apps (2 or 3 GB) : available with custom ROM

To be completed

Cheers

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,
if it is rooted, you can wether use root explorer or for instance es file explorer (free on google play). For es file explorer, you go to the settings :
you allow access to "/" instead of "/sdcard/"
you allow root explorer (you need superuser)

then you go to : /system/app
It is better to rename the app instead of deleting it, for example you add .bak at the end of the name of the app. If you change your mind you can remove .bak and get your app back.

Do it at your own risk. Some apps are mandatory to keep a stable tablet !!!

Then reboot your device and that's it

cheers

#4 ·
Hi bach, thanks for the detailed review!

I'm wondering if the Everising 97S is a rebrand of the Yooe R2
since Yooe is a manufacturer and Everising is a retailer. They
look identical from the pictures I have seen.

Once difference that I have found is that the Yooe R2 on sellers
websites have a 7200 mAh battery versus the 8000 mAh on the Everising.
(I emailed Everising and they confirmed the 8000 mAh spec)

A couple questions though:
With speaker volume on the device set to maximum is it acceptable?
Would you say that 7-8 hours battery life is possible with light-duty
use? (ie: web browsing & maybe youtube)

Look forward to your ongoing comments.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Power supply is 5V 2000mA
Are you sure of this?

If it is indeed a 5v and not a 9v or 12v it would seem that it has only one battery or two in parallel (the battery pack being 3.7v), in that case it is using different voltage architecture than the N90 (it has two batteries in series 7.4v) so i don't think that the same firmwares will work.(obviously i'm not sure but i think is more a No than a Yes)

Did you try using the N90 drivers in windows to see if the device is recognized as the N90? (just connecting it not flashing any firmware)

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,
unless it is an error, on the charger I received it is indicated :
input : 100-240 v 0.3 A max
output : 5 V 2000 mA

model : ydl 05 02000

On the box, it is written 5V, 2A, 8000 mAh Li-ion battery

Antutu tester

multitouch : 10 points
battery test : 50% brightness, wifi on, score = 661 (antutu tester = 56% with CPU at 100%, screen = 29%, WIFI = 16 %); 99% to 18% in 3h54 min; in comparison iconia tab A500 score around 720

EDIT : I made another test since the tablet was not fully charged for the previous test
score = 795, just between Motorola Xoom and Acer iconia tab A500
So I think that for a everyday use, the device can last about 8 hours.

I don't have a dbmeter but sound is sufficient in a calm environment. It may depend on the record level of your music or movie.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi
the first link gives the rk30 tools to first install the driver, a exe file to install the image, and instructions in english /chinese.
the second link corresponds to the firmware image.

I had to try about 5 times just to install the driver on my win 7 computer.
First of all, it is necessary to hold " - " sound and power buttons together ( - button first ), the device not powered, then plug the device to the computer using the usb connector (not the otg one).
First the device was not recognized, and I had to install the driver manually by choosing the good one in the list given by the first link. To do it, in the configuration panel, peripherics ( I'm not sure of the english words since my computer is in french), you click right on the non recognized device and you find the folder location which contains the drivers. At last I had my device recognized with a rk30 driver with a small question mark.

I tried the exe file to install the image but it was not successful since the device was not recognized, so I took the tools from the N90 topic created by Mr Tasselhof and then I was able to install the 97s image.

here's the link to the tools used

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33518-firmware-window-n90-dual-core-ii-firmware-information-tools-2012-06-08/m

For the update, I don't see differences so far. One improvement though. Now it can read 720p embeded youtube videos flawlessly (desktop mode in opera mobile).
I had to use superoneclick tools (see first post) to root it again.

#13 ·
I think there are apps which allow you to have access to the american market by simulating you have a US verizon account, for example. I don't know their names but search on google play. It is also possible to change your build.prop. There are many topics on this subject to get the fingerprints, ro.product.name, ro.product.manufacturer, .... of galaxy s2, for instance.
Fot both changes, I think you need to be rooted.

A warning though, if you want to change your build.prop, save your initial file since your changes may become your device unstable.

#16 ·
Hi
I paid mine 251 $ del incl with a capacitive pen, a protective bag and two protective screens on aliexpress. I think that doing a search on aliexpress with rk3066 keyword you can find n90 or u30gt clones starting 220 $ del incl. If you do so, try to choose a trusted shop.

#17 ·
A quick feedback of the firmware update

videos in appy geek and news republic are working now

Tried gta 3 : works flawlessly even at max resolution and details

Internet surfing with opera mobile and pdf reading seem less fluid than before

Rotate app is very handy to choose landscape or portrait modes

#18 ·
I've just received my 97S from Everising today - first impressions are very good so far, excellent build quality and superfast, has run everything ive thrown at it so far including GTA 3. Lets hope this tablet becomes more popular and maybe look into some custom firmware. I may be interested in looking into this myself, although I've never done it before, might have to wait for someone more experienced to get the device first!

#19 ·
I received the 97S two days ago and I'm impressed, great tablet. Also I've the U9GT2 and Vi30 DeLuxe, 97S improves them clearly.

The first thing I could see is that the 97S is exactly as Yuandao/Window N90 with an extra HDMI port, also as new N90 RK3066. The back cover is in matt black METAL, not plastic.

The screen is good, not light lakes and good luminosity. I compare it with a LG screen of U9GT2 (LG 320 lumens) and I think that 97S secreen is a ChiMei 420 lumens:

Change to last firmware 97S version (0608) and it works ok, english default, not chinese apps, easy to get root, easy to get full Market following this tutorial: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/34849-guide-to-fix-market-to-get-more-apps-compatible/page__p__381024#entry381024 , and not problem to get Gameloft compatibility.

Running Asphalt_6 it works ok:

About benchmarks:

System info:

Tested bluetooth and not problem with my WildfireS, not check HDMI yet.
Wifi about U9GT2, not very good but not bad.

The tablet runs fast and stable, I think it is a very good choice for new RK3066 tablet.

#20 ·
Hi,
Thanks for the review. You are right, the back is made of metal with a kind of plastic paint or skin which gives a matt effect.

Did you try gameloft games?
Could be interesting to indicate the game version, if chainfire has to be used to make it work, if there are problems of resolution compatibility . MIB works flawlessly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.