- This is my first tablet. I have an Android phone but it's pretty old (Galaxy Spica).
- I've not made any tweaks on the device. The current firmware is v1.02. There is a new version v1.04 available on the cube site but I haven't updated it yet.
- This is early days. I'll update this as I get to know more about the device.
- I'm too lazy to put in a video review. So please don't ask. :-)
So here are my initial impressions.
- Packaging: Packaging was good and there was no damage to the box or the tablet in transit. The contents of the box other than the tablet are pretty basic - earbuds, mini USB to USB connector and a charger. The charger actually came in a separate box from the tablet. My supplier (Elijah) included an adapter for using power sockets in India.
- Tablet Display: Display is excellent - i was a bit surprised at how good the colors look and how bright it gets. I like to use displays at low brightness so as to avoid strain and my brightness control is set way down. Haven't tried it in the sun yet. There is, however, one issue in the form of some light leakage along both long edges. With any content other than black on the screen, it's invisible though. My old phone also has some leakage and my IPS LED TV also had it so I suppose it goes with the current display tech. It does annoy me when the device boots though.
- Performance: No lags, missed taps, erratic scrolling so far. UI is perfectly smooth, transitions quick, everything responds the first time you click it. Couldn't really ask for more. I haven't tried any serious HD games on it yet but so far so good. Tabbed navigation in the browser works fine, flash is pre-installed, pinch to zoom is very smooth. No complaints at all on performance yet. Here are a couple of benchmarks:
Quadrant: 4077 (4024, 3992 on two runs on prior firmware).
Antutu: 7724 (CPU: 4023, GPU: 1578, RAM: 1440, I/O: 683), 7629 on prior firmware
GLBenchmark: Egypt standard (59 fps), Egypt high (57 fps), Egypt fixed time step (58 fps), Egypt Offscreen (98 fps), Pro Standard/high/fixed time step (62 fps), Pro offscreen (119 fps)
CFBenchmark: (13727, 3899, 7830)
Multitouch: 10 point touch
- Sound: This is my second gripe with the tablet. The sound from the speakers is not as loud as I'd want it to be. I don't know whether this is an issue with all tablets but I'm disappointed with the maximum volume.
- Wifi: This is the 3rd area that I'm disappointed. The range is rather limited. Where my laptop gives 3 bars, this gives one. I don't know if it's an issue with my unit (antenna issue?) or with all of these tablets. I'll be opening up the tablet to check one of these days. In the interim, I'll use some workarounds - most likely sharing my phone's Wifi via tethering in areas where the signal is poor. Hopefully the new firmware will help a bit too.
- Battery: Haven't been able to check it yet. Will update in a couple of days. There are no issues with the screen response while charging.
All in all, I like the tablet with the exception of 3 things - a little light leakage at two edges, low maximum volume and low wifi range. I can live with the first two easily but the 3rd needs some workaround.
Update: Updated to firmware v1.04. GLBenchmark, Vellamo scores added, Quadrant, Antutu updated after firmware upgrade. Haven't noticed any changes in Wifi performance. I've managed to find a workaround by using my Windows 7 laptop (placed in the same room) as a router (via Intel My Wifi). Took me a good bit of trying several things to get it to work but now that it is working, the Wifi issue is somewhat mitigated for me.
This post has been edited by red4ever: 28 May 2012 - 04:32 PM