• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#41 taekimon

taekimon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Sanei N83 System Images

These are exactly as obtained directly from the Sanei website. The only thing I have done is to rename the full image rar files to include the version number. They include the livesuite & other programs as well as the actual img files.

v4.0.845[ -> 0162-r4.0.845.rar (273 MB)
v4.0.1037 -> 0182-r4.0.1037.rar (277 MB)

So far there have been 2 OTA updates released. I include them here for completeness.

v4.0.845 update to v4.0.888 -> crane_anpei8sy-r4.0.845_crane_anpei8sy-r4.0.888.zip (7 MB)
v4.0.888 update to v4.0.1037 -> crane_anpei8sy-r4.0.888_crane_anpei8sy-r4.0.1037.zip (6 MB)

I hope these are of use to you :)

Hi, would it be possible for you to upload the files again?
Seems that the links for the v4.0.1037 are broken.
It would be great if you even have a newer version. Thanks in advance!

#42 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hi, would it be possible for you to upload the files again?
Seems that the links for the v4.0.1037 are broken.
It would be great if you even have a newer version. Thanks in advance!

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been away for a couple of days.

I've re-upped the v4.0.1037 file here -> Sanei N83 Deluxe v4.0.1037

There does seem to be a new version on the Sanei website - I'm in the process of downloading it (but it could take days if past experience is anything to go by). I will post it as soon as I've got it.
Sanei N83 Deluxe - Android 4.0.4
Huawei U8510 Blaze - Android 2.3.5
Rikomagic MK802IIIS - Android 4.1.1

#43 taekimon

taekimon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been away for a couple of days.

I've re-upped the v4.0.1037 file here -> Sanei N83 Deluxe v4.0.1037

There does seem to be a new version on the Sanei website - I'm in the process of downloading it (but it could take days if past experience is anything to go by). I will post it as soon as I've got it.

Hi SaneiN83User, thanks. I noticed the files you shared were from the szsanei.com site so I tried downloading them in the office and managed to get my tablet working (somewhat).

It's alive now but not really fully functional. I posted my problem here

http://www.slatedroi...on-please-help/

Would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on any possible solutions.

I believe the new firmware/fix you meant was this one?

http://www.szsanei.c...down.asp?id=926

I tried flashing it but my tablet would not boot after doing so.

#44 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi SaneiN83User, thanks. I noticed the files you shared were from the szsanei.com site so I tried downloading them in the office and managed to get my tablet working (somewhat).

It's alive now but not really fully functional. I posted my problem here

http://www.slatedroi...on-please-help/

Would really appreciate it if you could shed some light on any possible solutions.

I believe the new firmware/fix you meant was this one?

http://www.szsanei.c...down.asp?id=926

I tried flashing it but my tablet would not boot after doing so.

Hi Taekimon,

Yes that was the new version I was referring to, however I've downloaded it 3 times now & each time the rar file is corrupt :( - Could you check the file you've downloaded and if it verifies properly could you post it somewhere I can get it please.

I have successfully downloaded and installed the Ampe A85 Deluxe/Luxury r4.0.2463 rom on my Sanei N83 Deluxe. So far, it seems to be much better than the previous versions.

The beauty of Allwinner A10 devices is that they cannot be bricked..... There are 2 ways to load the firmware onto them. The normal way is to use Livesuit, but there is also the lesser-known PhoenixCard method (which is used in the factory).

Phoenix Card Method

You will need a blank microSD card (I've used 2G and above), the img you want to load onto your tablet and the Phoenix Card utility - Attached File  PhoenixCardV306_2012_03_02.zip   1.16MB   256 downloads

1. Insert your microSD card into your PC and format it using the standard Windows File Manager to FAT32. Note: Due to some problem with the Phoenix Card utility you must only have 1 SD card reader available.
2. Unzip the Phoenix Card utility and run 'PhoenixCard.exe'.
3. Select your SD card reader, image you want to flash and make sure the 'Production' option is selected. The click on the 'Burn' button.
4. When it completes, eject & remove the microSD card from your PC and put it into your tablet.
5. Power on your tablet. This should initiate the loading of the new firmware to your tablet. All you should see is a red outlined progress bar (which fills with a green colour).
6. When complete you should see 'CARD OK' in the top left hand corner of the screen just before it powers itself off.
7. REMOVE the microSD from your tablet and power it on.

(You can now re-format the microSD card).

Hopefully you now have a working fully-functional tablet.

Edited by SaneiN83User, 17 November 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#45 taekimon

taekimon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for the info SaneiN83 user.

Any idea how come I can't get my tablet to boot after flashing it with older versions of the firmware?

I'm hoping to downgrade to an older firmware so that I can run Tasselhof's script to root it.

Funny how yours is a Sanei N83 running Ampe's firmware while mine's a Ampe A85 running Sanei's firmware.
That said, here's the link for the latest Sanei N83 Deluxe firmware I uploaded to Filedropper.

http://www.filedropp...sor-firmwarefix

Mine verifies properly but after flashing, it can't boot.
Lemme know if it works on yours. I will try flashing it using the Phoenix card method the next time round.

Meanwhile, I would appreciate it if you could try to upload the latest Ampe N85 Deluxe firmware somewhere too?
I keep having download errors from Ampe's own website.

#46 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Taekimon,

Thanks for uploading the Sanei version of the latest firmware. I'm still getting the same problem - WinRAR v3.91 and 7-Zip both report a CRC error in the file (and it's the img file, so I can't test it). I tried downloading it both via a FireFox & JDownloader and get identical files. What are you using to extract the files?

I've uploaded the latest Ampe A85 version for you -> Ampe A85 r4.0.2463

Apart from the name, the Ampe A85 Luxury/Deluxe and the Sanei N83 Deluxe is identical! Which is great from the firmware side of things.

I've never tried flashing my tablet using Livesuit, I've only used the Phoenix Card method and have had (at one time or another) all the Ampe & Sanei versions installed and not had any booting/power-on problems (apart from it sometimes seems to lag in responding to the power-button press - the led turns green but the screen takes ages to 'wake-up').

The reason I prefer the Phoenix Card method is that I don't have to mess about pressing the buttons & connecting the USB cable. It is also the method they use in the factory to get the initial firmware onto the tablets so it's guaranteed to work (in theory) and doesn't rely on what's already in the ROM of the tablet.

As far as rooting the tablet is concerned, I'm currently looking for a working script rather than the Unlock Root windows program and I'll let you know when I find one. Personally, I'd rather have a reliable/non-laggy browser than have root, so downgrading to the earlier versions is not an option for me.

Regards

Dave

#47 Sassinak

Sassinak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi!
I want to root my sanei n83 with Tasselhoff's gemei script, but it won't work. When I use the "check rootability" script, I get a "not rootable" response. How did it work for the others who posted success here ?

#48 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Just successfully rooted my Sanei N83 Deluxe running the Ampe A85 Luxury firmware r4.0.2463 using Tasselhof's script.

1. Grab the Tasselhof script from here and unzip it.

2. Enable USB debugging from the Developer Options on the settings screen of your tablet and connect it to your PC

3. Run the main bat file and select option 1, then option 2, then option 10. (You're now finished with the Tasselhof script).

4. Goto the Google Play store and update Superuser - If you don't you'll keep getting 'Superuser has stopped' error messages.

ALL DONE :yahoo:

#49 Sassinak

Sassinak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Just successfully rooted my Sanei N83 Deluxe running the Ampe A85 Luxury firmware r4.0.2463 using Tasselhof's script.

2. Enable USB debugging from the Developer Options on the settings screen of your tablet and connect it to your PC

3. Run the main bat file and select option 1, then option 2, then option 10. (You're now finished with the Tasselhof script).

4. Goto the Google Play store and update Superuser - If you don't you'll keep getting 'Superuser has stopped' error messages.

ALL DONE :yahoo:

first, I had to do some running around to get the script in the first place :

Duplicate headers received from the server
The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.

then I installed some usb drivers suggested somewhere along the thread... adb does "see" the tablet.

But I get :

If you see: "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"
  - this script WILL NOT work

When I use the verify option. Should I just ignore it?
Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?
I had to download/install the whole Android SDK to get ADB installed, was it the only way ?

#50 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Sassinak,

I'm guessing you are using Chrome as your browser - I got the same 'Duplicate Headers' message in Chrome, but it downloads just fine in Firefox. The ADB drivers I use are: Attached File  ADB_Drivers_AllwinnerA10_32and64.zip   3.76MB   67 downloads.

You don't need the Android SDK to get adb, it's included in the Tasslehof script download.

Which firmware do you have installed on your tablet? I know I couldn't successfully get the Tasselhof script to root may tablet on previous versions of the firmware prior to r4.0.2463. Although there have been others who have said it worked fine for them.

Even after rooting my tablet I still get the 'adbd cannot run as root in production builds' - This error message has to do with the ro.secure=1 parameter in default.prop and of course you need to have root access to change it.....

There is no verification option in the Tasselhof script I used. But I have seen reports of there being some 'fake' Tasselhof scripts out there, so perhaps you are using an alternate version. If you follow what I did, you should be able to root your tablet.

Let me know how you get on

Dave

#51 taekimon

taekimon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Taekimon,Thanks for uploading the Sanei version of the latest firmware. I'm still getting the same problem - WinRAR v3.91 and 7-Zip both report a CRC error in the file (and it's the img file, so I can't test it). I tried downloading it both via a FireFox & JDownloader and get identical files. What are you using to extract the files?I've uploaded the latest Ampe A85 version for you -> Ampe A85 r4.0.2463Dave

I used 7zip. Mine didn't report any errors. However, as mentioned before, mine couldn't boot after flashing with that version.

Thanks for the upload Dave!

4. Goto the Google Play store and update Superuser - If you don't you'll keep getting 'Superuser has stopped' error messages.ALL DONE :yahoo:

Just to check, don't you need to go to option 3 to root?

first, I had to do some running around to get the script in the first place :then I installed some usb drivers suggested somewhere along the thread... adb does "see" the tablet.
But I get :

If you see: "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"  - this script WILL NOT work
When I use the verify option. Should I just ignore it? Is there a setting I am missing somewhere?
I had to download/install the whole Android SDK to get ADB installed, was it the only way ?

I am encountering the same problem!

Sassinak,I'm guessing you are using Chrome as your browser - I got the same 'Duplicate Headers' message in Chrome, but it downloads just fine in Firefox. The ADB drivers I use are: Attached File  ADB_Drivers_AllwinnerA10_32and64.zip   3.76MB   67 downloads.You don't need the Android SDK to get adb, it's included in the Tasslehof script download.
Which firmware do you have installed on your tablet? I know I couldn't successfully get the Tasselhof script to root may tablet on previous versions of the firmware prior to r4.0.2463.
Although there have been others who have said it worked fine for them.
Even after rooting my tablet I still get the 'adbd cannot run as root in production builds' - This error message has to do with the ro.secure=1 parameter in default.prop and of course you need to have root access to change it.....There is no verification option in the Tasselhof script I used. But I have seen reports of there being some 'fake' Tasselhof scripts out there, so perhaps you are using an alternate version. If you follow what I did, you should be able to root your tablet.Let me know how you get onDave

Lastly, are anyone of you encountering problems with your tablets in the following way?
After charging my tablet, I turn off the electrical supply, unplug the charging cable and push the power button to turn on the tablet.
The green LED comes on, but the tablet does not boot. It doesn't even show the Ampe/Sanei logo.
Just when I thought I solved the problem after flashing the firmware ... am I doing something wrong here?

btw, is it ok to use the micro USB cable for charging? I've been using the original charger and there are too many cables lying around on my desk.
I would like to use the micro USB cable for charging if its ok.

Edited by taekimon, 18 November 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#52 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Taekimon,

Firstly, have you flashed your tablet yet with the latest Ampe A85 r4.0.2463 firmware yet? If so, was it via Livesuit or Phoenix Card? - If you didn't do it via Phoenix Card (which I know works), you might have some of the various bootloaders corrupted from earlier attempts. This could manifest themselves in the manner you describe in that you have problems powering on etc (see below).

Charging your tablet

Yes, you can charge your tablet using the micro USB socket - I do this pretty much all the time. The only drawback I know of is that is could take longer than using the mains charger if the system limits the current/power available (which I've not checked).

Power up process

The time it take for the power up process for me is as follows:-

1. Press power switch, and the green led comes on.
2. 4 seconds after the green led comes on, the Ampe logo appears,
3. 10 seconds after step 2, the screen turns off & back on and the Ampe logo appears again,
4. 21 seconds after step 3, the screen blanks, displays the Ampe logo quickly followed by the 3 i's
5. 27 seconds after step 4, the main Android 'lock screen' appears.

Total of about 62-65 seconds to boot from powered-off state to the main Android 'lock screen'.

IF any of the bootloaders (there's about 4 of them) are corrupted, it's entirely possible that you might not see anything on the screen even though it will eventually boot. As an example, if you boot it from cold with it connected to a TV via HDMI, you'll see nothing on the TV until step 4 above, but you will see all the steps on the LCD.

Rooting

As far as rooting is concerned using the Tasselhof script, option 3 is unnecessary because we already have the Google Play store & apps installed.

I'm no real Android expert (but I do have over 40 years of computer experience - lol), so I may be wrong about the reasons, but hopefully my explanations make sense in describing why your problems might be occurring and how to solve them. One way or another we'll get you back up and running :)

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Dave

#53 taekimon

taekimon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

<p>Hi Dave, thanks for all the help!</p><p>I used the Phoenix method and managed to successfully get the latest Ampe firmware running on my tablet! (Wonderful! Ampe running Ampe's own firmware :))</p><p>However, I still can't seem to get pass option 3 on Tasselhof's script. Still the same "adbd cannot run production build" problem.</p><p>The reason I'm rooting is that I would like to put CM10 on it.&nbsp;
</p>

Edited by taekimon, 19 November 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#54 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Me too! Me too!

#55 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'm not familiar with CM9/Cm10, but I'll try and help where I can.

As far as I can see, you don't need step 3 of Tasselhof's script in order to install CM10 (all the GAPPS etc it installs are already installed on the Ampe/Sanei products). Also, if you are installing CM10 and probably AOKP, it'll be wiped anyway, so this option is redundant (the same is true of the steps 4-9)

If you successfully rooted your tablet (using the Tasselhof script) AND have updated Superuser.apk (from the Google Play Store)- You have root access to your tablet, so you can do 'adb shell' followed by 'su' to get root permissions. You can then make the system partition read/write with 'mount -o rw,remount /system'.

In order that I can try to help, can you tell me how you are trying to install CM10 and where it's failing.

I could if you'd like, create an img based upon the r4.0.2463 release which does allow 'adb root' to work, but this may take me a couple of days due to other commitments.

Regards

Dave

#56 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi Dave, thanks for all the help!</p><p>I used the Phoenix method and managed to successfully get the latest Ampe firmware running on my tablet!

What state was yours in before? Mine won't do anything other than display a battery with a ! in a triangle at the moment...

#57 taekimon

taekimon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

What state was yours in before? Mine won't do anything other than display a battery with a ! in a triangle at the moment...

Hi Denovo,
I believe the battery with a "!" in the triangle actually means very low battery level. Try charging it for 3 hours or so to get it above 40% then try the phoenix card method. Follow Sanei83 user's method and it should get the latest firmware in the tablet. :)

Dear Dave,
I noticed that even after flashing to the latest firmware which you have guided me through, I am still encountering the booting up after charging from a Powered Off state.
Each time I power off my tablet for charging, it wouldn't boot up after I turn off the electrical supply, unplug the charging cable, press and hold the power button.
It can't possibly be that the bootloader gets damaged during the charging process and wouldn't boot right?

Also, I have tried installing Superuser from Play Store. It reports that device isn't rooted (even though I have went through Tasselhof's script steps 1, 2).

I haven't really tried installing CM10 because from my understanding, I've got to install Clockwork Mod then from there, flash the CM10 rom using the zip file?
I tried installing Clockwork Mod and it states that the functions are for rooted devices only.

Could it be that you might have got your tablet rooted via other means but thought that the Tasselhof script worked for you instead?
Perhaps unlock root? I tried that but it just hung my PC.

#58 SaneiN83User

SaneiN83User

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi Taekimon,

I'm 100% sure that the only method I used was the Tasselhof script. I did it after installing the new Ampe A85 r4.0.2463 release which would wipe out any previously rooted version and I didn't run Unlock Root.

OK, it's about 1am here now, and tomorrow I'm tied up with other things, but as soon as I've time, I perform the following to test things out for you.

1. Flash my tablet back to Sanei N83 r4.0.1037.
2. Check whether I have root enabled via adb shell.
3. Flash it back to the new Ampe A85 r4.0.2463.
4. Check rooting again via adb shell.
5. Run Tasselhof script (Steps 1 & 2 only)
6. Update Superuser.apk from play store.

I'll report the results back as soon as I've done them.

As far as your power-on issue is concerned. I seldom/never power off (long press on power button) my tablet to charge it, just plug it in when the battery gets low. Also, I would suggest removing the power cord from the tablet before unplugging the charger from the mains. Perhaps (although very unlikely) a power spike is causing a glitch somewhere in the tablet. It's unlikely, but you never know.... Do you get the charging battery symbol appear on the LCD when you plug in the charger (or briefly press the power button)?

Seeing as I'm re-flashing my tablet a couple of times, let me know if there are some other things you want tried or info that may be of use.

Dave

#59 taekimon

taekimon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi Taekimon,

I'm 100% sure that the only method I used was the Tasselhof script. I did it after installing the new Ampe A85 r4.0.2463 release which would wipe out any previously rooted version and I didn't run Unlock Root.

OK, it's about 1am here now, and tomorrow I'm tied up with other things, but as soon as I've time, I perform the following to test things out for you.

1. Flash my tablet back to Sanei N83 r4.0.1037.
2. Check whether I have root enabled via adb shell.
3. Flash it back to the new Ampe A85 r4.0.2463.
4. Check rooting again via adb shell.
5. Run Tasselhof script (Steps 1 & 2 only)
6. Update Superuser.apk from play store.

I'll report the results back as soon as I've done them.

As far as your power-on issue is concerned. I seldom/never power off (long press on power button) my tablet to charge it, just plug it in when the battery gets low. Also, I would suggest removing the power cord from the tablet before unplugging the charger from the mains. Perhaps (although very unlikely) a power spike is causing a glitch somewhere in the tablet. It's unlikely, but you never know.... Do you get the charging battery symbol appear on the LCD when you plug in the charger (or briefly press the power button)?

Seeing as I'm re-flashing my tablet a couple of times, let me know if there are some other things you want tried or info that may be of use.

Dave

Dear Dave,

No I don't.
Only after realising it can't boot up, with the micro-USB cable unplugged from the tablet, when I press the power button, the "charging battery" symbol appears. And it doesn't even happen every time. Only sometimes.

I really appreciate you doing all these things, running tests and stuff. I would love to see other users contribute their knowledge too if possible.
If possible, it would be good to come up with a root unlocked version of the latest firmware. No hurry though, since we're in this on our free time.

:)

#60 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

I believe the battery with a "!" in the triangle actually means very low battery level. Try charging it for 3 hours or so to get it above 40% then try the phoenix card method. Follow Sanei83 user's method and it should get the latest firmware in the tablet. :)

Sure, but no matter how I try to charge it, that's what I get...
(I've tried the original charger, a USB hub, the round pin charging cable, the micro USB and both, in all possible combinations...)