• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

No reviews posted here so far, but it seems quite interesting (has Bluetooth & currently available for a bit less than other 8" tablets with similar specs).

So here's one in Chinese (via Google Translate):
http://tinyurl.com/ampeA85
(Note: Google is translating Ampe as 'Love Charm' & Allwinner as Full-Chi :D )

The review seems very positive - summary from p7:

Compared to many other models of the A10 scheme, love charm A85 Deluxe Edition, or have certain characteristics, its innovative interface design, and supports Bluetooth and OTA [???] upgrades, doing better in terms of overall optimization, video codecs, web applications are must upgrade on the mainstream level of the same program, used to play games in general is not a problem, on the whole the A10 program is more mature and stable a product. Lack of respect, in addition to standby performance general, is not open ROOT permissions also with some inconvenience, another screen perspective of some lack of experience, to a certain extent some impact, but this 8-inch high marks flat a common phenomenon. Aircraft in the official online shop pricing for 8GB/688 recent promotional activities during the lower, from a sales point of view or have a certain popularity, interested friends can be found at love charm the official online shop to view.

Lack of a root facility seems to be the main gripe ATM.

Ampe doesn't seem as well known as Onda, Ainol & Teclast etc. Any Ampe owners like to chip in?

#2 invu2day

invu2day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

No reviews posted here so far, but it seems quite interesting (has Bluetooth & currently available for a bit less than other 8" tablets with similar specs).

So here's one in Chinese (via Google Translate):
http://tinyurl.com/ampeA85
(Note: Google is translating Ampe as 'Love Charm' & Allwinner as Full-Chi :D )

The review seems very positive - summary from p7:

Lack of a root facility seems to be the main gripe ATM.

Ampe doesn't seem as well known as Onda, Ainol & Teclast etc. Any Ampe owners like to chip in?

Tha Ampe A85 / Sanei N83 (same tablet) can be rooted using the script as posted by Mr Tasselhoff under the Gemei G9 thread.

#3 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Here is my review regarding the Sanei N83 (which is similar to the Ampe A85).

The only problem is .. my mother tongue is German.

http://www.slatedroi...ram-8gb-rom-bt/

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask ..

EDIT: thanks at invu2day for the tip regarding rooting ^^

Edited by chrisutab, 27 May 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#4 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Here's chrisutab's review in English via google translate:

Today I would like to introduce my "beloved" Sanei N83 in the "Deluxe" version.

The following technical data, the N83 Sanei [Deluxe]
-------------------------------------------------- ------
CPU: Allwinner / Boxchip A10 (Cortex A8)
Ram: 1GB
Rome: 8GB
Display: 1024x768 (? IPS), 5 Point Touch Screen
WiFi (b / g / (s?) / Bluetooth
Webcam: front / rear
and the usual data ...
Pics:
https://www.dropbox....neiN83?h=4c66a7

My opinion
I use the device for about two weeks and I am very satisfied. In particular, the 8 "I liked when I also N90 (have / had), but with me it was a bit too big then. Especially the Over the Air (OTA) update function of szsanei.com like me, because I only yesterday morning the new update got recorded. It works fine and also the "Google Play" Store works. The WLANStärke is like the N90 (and OEM Gemei, ...) is a small problem with this can be fixed by a script.
Currently I use the device mainly for reading (Google Reader, PDF, ..) and a smaller second screen iDisplay.

Test
Streaming (audio / video / images) Wi-Fi from the Samba server works well (even streaming video HDTV with ES File Explorer and the built-in video player works).
With BSPlayer lite / Vplayer but are jerks (if it is run via WiFi)
Tested: ampere video1080p
The "amp video2160p" works but not over WiFi from Samba.

Note: From Ampe is made the same device, however, the device does not Ampe metal backplate, but a white or black plastic cover (according to my pictures). In addition, the speakers slightly different arrangement.

Tested with FW: C_V3.06-crane_anpei8sy-r4.0888-120 524
Quadrant score (2.x): 1732 (Force GPU off)
Nena Mark: 22.4fps
AnTuTu benchmark V.2.8
- CPU: 783
- GPU: 1129
- RAM: 399
- I / O: 527
- = 2838
Thus .. stay tuned ... if there are updates regarding the device, I will report! : Thumbup:
Once I get the right cable miniHDMI, I will also tell them briefly.

Source / price
I have purchased the device directly from my local dealer (from China) (if interested - please ask me).
PS: if I should try out something that I can make it happy

Thanks chrisutab (& invu2day for the root info).

One thing I was wondering - are these are the exact same device, or just very similar (electronics-wise)? & how do we know?

#5 invu2day

invu2day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

One thing I was wondering - are these are the exact same device, or just very similar (electronics-wise)? & how do we know?

Shenzhen City amps Technology Co., Ltd produce Sanie brand name products.
Shenzhen City of Love Charm Electronic Technology Co., Ltd produce Ampe brand name products.

However both companies are fronts of just one manufacturer with one factory, same address, same telephone number, etc.

Sanie brand products are primarily marketed for their local market but other suppliers ship them abroad.
Ampe brand products are primarily marketed for the western market.

The products are one but branding is split between Ampe and Sanie.

Check both websites and you will see apart from device model names everything is identical. (www.szsanei.com and www.szampe.com)

The Ampe A85 Elite and Sanei N83 Classic are the same tablet with plastic rear casing, 800x600 resolution and 0.3mp front camera.
The Ampe A85 Luxury and Sanei N83 Deluxe are the same tablet with metal rear casing, 1024x768 resolution and 2.0mp front camera.

(The pictures on the website no longer match the actual tablets as the rear speaker is along the bottom for the metal case tablets).

#6 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi,

Actually it depends if you compare it with the "Deluxe" or "Elite" version.
The Ampe's loudspeaker is in the middle and it has a "plastic-backcover". The Sanei Deluxe version has a metal backcover
Other technical things should be the same: cpu, ram, rom, screen....
You can see a Ampe backcover in my dropbox and you can compare it with the backcover from my Sanei.
Attached File  P1110011.JPG   288.84KB   62 downloadsAttached File  2012-05-14 16.27.33.jpg   980.04KB   59 downloads

#7 invu2day

invu2day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

Actually it depends if you compare it with the "Deluxe" or "Elite" version.
The Ampe's loudspeaker is in the middle and it has a "plastic-backcover". The Sanei Deluxe version has a metal backcover
Other technical things should be the same: cpu, ram, rom, screen....
You can see a Ampe backcover in my dropbox and you can compare it with the backcover from my Sanei.
Attached File  P1110011.JPG   288.84KB   62 downloadsAttached File  2012-05-14 16.27.33.jpg   980.04KB   59 downloads

Hi, You are comparing two different tablets there.

The Sanei N83 Deluxe is the same tablet as the Ampe A85 Luxury.
The Sanie N83 Classic is the same tablet as the Ampe A85 Elite.

The Deluxe/Luxury tablets are quite different from the Classic/Elite tablets. They have different screen resolutions, different front cameras and different rear body shells. The loudspeakers are in the same position under the rear camera at the top for the Classic/Elite tablets and along on rear bottom on the Deluxe/Luxury tablets. I've not got pictures but have had both the Sanie N83 Deluxe and Ampe A85 Luxury and they are both identical other than the rear logos and boot up screen. However as the tablets are the same the firmware is interchangeable.

By the way for the money I think they are fantastic tablets once rooted. (The Deluxe and Luxury models anyway as I've never had the cheaper Classic/Elite tablets.)

#8 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

oh... sorry..

So i had the Sanei N83 Deluxe vs. Ampe A85 Elite..

Deluxe/Luxury
1024 Screen
1GB Ram
Bluetooth!

Classic/Elite
800x600
512MB

@invu2day: Yes, the N83 is really nice and I like the 8" screen :) I only have some troubles with the poor wifi strenght (and sometimes wifi-speed)
I read somewhere that it is possible to change the packetsize and some other configurations to improve wifi. Still searching this topic...

Edited by chrisutab, 29 May 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#9 invu2day

invu2day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

oh... sorry..

So i had the Sanei N83 Deluxe vs. Ampe A85 Elite..

Deluxe/Luxury
1024 Screen
1GB Ram

Classic/Elite
800x600
512MB

@invu2day: Yes, the N83 is really nice and I like the 8" screen :) I only have some troubles with the poor wifi strenght (and sometimes wifi-speed)
I read somewhere that it is possible to change the packetsize and some other configurations to improve wifi. Still searching this topic...

Yes the wifi is not great but it's not really any different to any other Chinese tablet to be fair.
For me changing from the stock browser to Dolphin HD browser made a difference in speed.
I did a speed test on the Ampe A85 and I get a consistant 20MB on a 20MB network.

Attached Files

#10 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hi,

Could you tell more about your wifi connection? (B/G/N - which Router..- fixed N or G...)

Did you use any script to increase the wifi strenght? (their is one in the N90 thread.. but I am still searching it)

Kind regards,
Chris

#11 invu2day

invu2day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

I've not used any scripts other than rooting the tablet. My router is open to all networks B,G and N and open for all Channels too.

Can I ask on your firmware what is the date? 05/08 or 05/11 ?

#12 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

@invu2da: I got the newest OTA update - 0.888 05/24

#13 invu2day

invu2day

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

@invu2da: I got the newest OTA update - 0.888 05/24

This is weird now but on OTA updates it shows system up to date even though I have 05/08 firmware.

Two weeks ago I did an OTA update from 05/08 to 05/11 and it worked but several of the Google apps including the play store were not working so I reflashed 05/08.

Everytime I check OTA update it shows system uo to date. Is there a setting I need to activate or deactivate?

#14 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

So you two both have one like this?
http://www1.buyincoi...duct-15780.html

Below is a long list of my 'use cases'. Sorry it's so long, but The Ainol Novo 8 I had briefly, thank failed on many/most of these & I don't want to go through that hassle again.

- reading PDFs (many of scanned books, so reasonable speed's important, & pinch to zoom & easy page turning in the app)
- web surfing
- watching embedded video (mainly youtube, TV news sites, Ted etc)
- watching downloaded video
- listening to MP3s
- skype (video chat less critical than sound)
- plecodict
- ankidroid
- (near) full support for Android market, for apps I don't know yet, because installing APK from untrusted sources seems like quite a bad idea
- reasonable WIFI (reception in my room's not great; I get two bars on an Asus netbook, but that works fine...)
- Bluetooth for retrieving files from my laptop & so I can use wireless headphones & possibly mouse/keyboard.
- able to function like a USB drive when plugged in to a PC's USB port (eg as a last resort for transferring files, or for transferring large files)
- able to support 32GB micro SD
- it'd be nice if it could support a wired keyboard and mouse too, just in case I don't get round to buying wireless ones...
- minimal user tweaking required to get it to do this. (I'm not terrified of the command line, but I'm far from expert.)

Any feedback would be great. (Does anyone have a small netbook for wifi aerial comparison purposes for example?)

#15 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Everytime I check OTA update it shows system uo to date. Is there a setting I need to activate or deactivate?

I didn't activated something.. just connect to wifi and I got the update.

To find the answers:
YES - reading PDFs (many of scanned books, so reasonable speed's important, & pinch to zoom & easy page turning in the app)
little bit laggy - web surfing
YES - watching embedded video (mainly youtube, TV news sites, Ted etc)
YES - watching downloaded video
YES - listening to MP3s
NOT TESTED - skype (video chat less critical than sound)
(YES?)- (near) full support for Android market, for apps I don't know yet, because installing APK from untrusted sources seems like quite a bad idea
problems...- reasonable WIFI (reception in my room's not great; I get two bars on an Asus netbook, but that works fine...)
FILES WORK - other not testet- Bluetooth for retrieving files from my laptop & so I can use wireless headphones & possibly mouse/keyboard.
- able to function like a USB drive when plugged in to a PC's USB port (eg as a last resort for transferring files, or for transferring large files)
8GB WORKS - other not tested - able to support 32GB micro SD
YES - it'd be nice if it could support a wired keyboard and mouse too, just in case I don't get round to buying wireless ones...

Edited by chrisutab, 29 May 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#16 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

To find the answers:
YES - reading PDFs (many of scanned books, so reasonable speed's important, & pinch to zoom & easy page turning in the app)
little bit laggy - web surfing
YES - watching embedded video (mainly youtube, TV news sites, Ted etc)
YES - watching downloaded video
YES - listening to MP3s
NOT TESTED - skype (video chat less critical than sound)
(YES?)- (near) full support for Android market, for apps I don't know yet, because installing APK from untrusted sources seems like quite a bad idea
problems...- reasonable WIFI (reception in my room's not great; I get two bars on an Asus netbook, but that works fine...)
FILES WORK - other not testet- Bluetooth for retrieving files from my laptop & so I can use wireless headphones & possibly mouse/keyboard.
8GB WORKS - other not tested - able to support 32GB micro SD
YES - it'd be nice if it could support a wired keyboard and mouse too

Thanks for the info Chris.

I've been having a look at Taobao (Chinese ###########; they models are 尚伊N83 & 爱魅A85, unhelpfully pronounced shangyi and aimei in Mandarin rather than Sanie and Ampe...) I haven't had time to match up the exact specs & the model naming is confusing, but it looks like they go for RMB600-700, ie USD95-110. Plus domestic shipping in China & airmail out that's USD110-125 compared to a minimum of USD150 from an established exporter.

Given the somewhat unimpressive after (& pre) sales service I had from one established vendor, I might see if I can replace the middleman with a Chinese friend (who might need a hand with her Masters thesis :p).

#17 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Take care that you don't get the Elite version. The 600rmb sounds more like the Elite/Standard version. I don't know the exact price from my Chinese friend, but I know them in real .. so I trust them and I get really good prices there. She also packs it in very well :)
Shipping is all with DHL HK, which is quite expensive but also secure and worth.

#18 chrisutab

chrisutab

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yes the wifi is not great but it's not really any different to any other Chinese tablet to be fair.
For me changing from the stock browser to Dolphin HD browser made a difference in speed.
I did a speed test on the Ampe A85 and I get a consistant 20MB on a 20MB network.

Dear invu2day,

Now I got my tablet rooted, but i still have the failure that i can't send command (adb) from my pc to the tablet. Root Checkers shows that the tablet is rooted...
Attached File  2012-06-02 01.57.06.jpg   1.52MB   43 downloadsAttached File  root02.JPG   36.93KB   35 downloads

Additional I am asking you if you have the stock FW (with the sanei ui) or the real/original ICS UI. My friend and also I have the opinion that the Sanei N90 (orig. ICS FW) runs smooth instead of the Sanei N10 or Sanei N83.
Did you tried out any other FW?

Thanks!

#19 denovo

denovo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

I just checked Taobao again & it looks like it's either of these:
N83 (RMB610=$95)
http://item.taobao.c...?id=14597129045
A85 (RMB629=$99)
http://item.taobao.c...?id=14300781082

The first one confirms the differences between Elite (精英) and Deluxe(豪华) editions are:
1) plastic vs metal case
2) 800*600 vs 1024*768 screen
3) no bluetooth vs has bluetooth
The second one also mentions that the Deluxe supports online upgrades, but doesn't mention this for the Elite. (Has anyone noticed this?)

It does seem the cheaper domestic Chinese sellers are charging ~RMB600~=$100. That's including their margins. The cheapest I've seen this on a China-based English language website is $150. That includes postage; ($12-15 for airmail I think). I don't understand why English language sellers are able to get these extra-wide margins (probably ~3x the domestic sellers' margins). Perhaps it's just sheer lack of competition & the impossibility of getting Taobao sellers to export. 反正对我看来非常像宰人的行为。讨厌。

Talking to my Chinese friend about this.

#20 kaharman

kaharman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

Anyway, is the camera has real 2.0 MPixel? Or only 0.3 MPixel. Because seen on official website it has dual 2.0 MPixel but on imp3.net review it only has 0.3 MPixel. Anyone knows?

^_^ Waiting for my Sanei N83 Deluxe from Aliexpress ^_^