Next8P & Next8P-SE - ICS Updated Firmware - 5/26/12

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 hexpc

hexpc

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

I just took the risk and the flashed the SE version.
Everything works but wifi won't even turn on.
Is there some kind of fix for this that I've missed?

I thought I read in a previous post from devmonkey that one of the differences in the N8 & N8 SE was the wifi drivers...you might try the N8 kernel instead.

#22 devmonkey

devmonkey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Updated initial post with new build... fixes quite a few (relatively minor) issues.
  • hexpc likes this
- devmonkey -
Devices: Samsung Note i717 - Samsung Captivate i897 - Acer Aspire A500 - Nextbook 8 Premium - Kindle Fire

#23 hexpc

hexpc

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

Updated initial post with new build... fixes quite a few (relatively minor) issues.

thanks again devmonkey, appreciate all your efforts!
another nice job for the SE

#24 thew-tab

thew-tab

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

I flashed the extreme kernel from x-team that was modified for mediadroid, now the tablet is overclocked at 1.2ghz. The only box that i clicked was to the extreme kernel, and flashed it like normal. I just flashed it, but, so far so good.

#25 thew-tab

thew-tab

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

the extreme kernel "broke" the auto rotate, sigh

#26 hexpc

hexpc

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

the extreme kernel "broke" the auto rotate, sigh

I tried it a couple weeks ago, the broken autorotate turned me off right away, after messing with devmonkey's nice roms. ;)

#27 alflopez

alflopez

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

@hexpc
I'm still trying to figure out a few things on this one, but that should be workable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime, I've got a few other things for you guys to play with...

I've ported a couple of builds for other RK2918 devices over to the Next8P. Neither of these have working Netflix, but they may have other interesting benefits. Feel free to try them out.

u9gt2-mod-v1 for Next8P
u9gt2-mod-v2 for Next8P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also changed up the bootlogo, bootanimation, and default wallpaper for the build in the original post above, and added the Startup Wizard from the CM9 gapps. Also, I've discovered that I should be able to make the Next8P and Next8P-SE use the same system.img, so long as you choose the correct kernel.img when you flash the device. (One download for both devices...)

devNext build 5-29-12 (both Next8P and Next8P-SE kernel.img included)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get auto-rotate working correctly, I'm all ears. I'm also still trying to figure out how to get all market apps to be available, and how to get the battery to report correctly... Beyond those three things, this one works pretty well.

Hey devmonkey!

Yesterday I flashed several roms into my Next8P and tried them out. Many of them didn't have the camera working. However, I ended up testing your devNext build 5-29-12 pack and I'm delighted with it. It makes my tablet fly smoothly and looks pretty well. The autorotate kind of works, until an app that works in landscape mode is used and then the desktop ends up fixed in landscape. I decided to disable auto-rotate and I like it that way. Like someone said before, it's not a big deal.

Thanks for all your work creating and perfecting all these packs.

Regards,

Alfonso

#28 thew-tab

thew-tab

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

After flashing devmonkey's newest ICS buid, I went back to try to download some of the apps that wouldn't download before, Havent had a problem getting them to download, the only thing I noticed so far is that the best wallpapers hd app keeps closing, even after i cleared data, forced closed, and then tried un-and re-installing it, but very small compared having a ICS build that has netflix working, and the auto rotate correct.(and so far playstore is working)

#29 alflopez

alflopez

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

@hexpc
I'm still trying to figure out a few things on this one, but that should be workable.

In the meantime, I've got a few other things for you guys to play with...

I've ported a couple of builds for other RK2918 devices over to the Next8P. Neither of these have working Netflix, but they may have other interesting benefits. Feel free to try them out.

u9gt2-mod-v1 for Next8P
u9gt2-mod-v2 for Next8P

I've also changed up the bootlogo, bootanimation, and default wallpaper for the build in the original post above, and added the Startup Wizard from the CM9 gapps. Also, I've discovered that I should be able to make the Next8P and Next8P-SE use the same system.img, so long as you choose the correct kernel.img when you flash the device. (One download for both devices...)

devNext build 5-29-12 (both Next8P and Next8P-SE kernel.img included)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get auto-rotate working correctly, I'm all ears. I'm also still trying to figure out how to get all market apps to be available, and how to get the battery to report correctly... Beyond those three things, this one works pretty well.

Hi devmonkey,

I flashed the devNext build 5-29-12 to my Next8P and everything works great, except for google calendar (can't see it anywhere or download it from the market) and Flash player 11 (when trying to download it I get an error in the market). Should it be working or is it something yet to be fixed in a later update?

Thanks for all your work!

Alfonso

#30 Reverdex

Reverdex

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

http://www.webopslag.nl/update.rar
update with market

#31 darkseas

darkseas

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi all,
First of all: thanks DevMonkey for your ROM. The lack of Google Play on the original image lead me to install this ROM yesterday on my Nextbook Premium 8SE and most of it seemed to work fine. Sometimes I got an error (Astro app, Mirror app) and I was missing the e-mail and calendar apps.
Just now (today) I received an e-mail from my reseller that this Nextbook Premium 8 SE is added to the 'allowed' list for Google Play. They accompanied it with a new image (update.img file?), which I assume to be the original image with Google Play added to it. (Though I do not find it yet on Nextbook's official website...)
Since Google Play was my main reason to change the ROM, I'd very much like to revert back to as much an original state as possible (using this new ROM) after installing your ROM.

Would you be able to tell me how should I proceed in installing this new 'original' ROM?

Thanks a lot in advance!

#32 Reverdex

Reverdex

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:29 AM

put the update image in the root of you internal sd card
reboot and it will prompt a message asking to update
accept and wait for it to finish
remove the update image
  • hexpc likes this

#33 darkseas

darkseas

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Thanks. That worked fine!

#34 darkseas

darkseas

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

For those interested,
My reseller announced two or three days ago that Google Play was now supported on their Nextbook Premium 8SE. They provided me with the following update, which should be they latest original (incl. Netflix update), with Google Play store added. I'm not familiar enough with the builds to validate this, but to me it seems to be just that. It's not quite clear to me what's the official status of this update.

Http://webopslag.nl/update.rar

I might revert to a custom ROM though, hoping that I can add/install Google e-mail, calendar, google talk and facebook to it, as I cannot find these in Google Play... (Or I can only hope they will appear in a next custom ROM... - willing to test if needed)

Thanks a lot; appreciate the hard work people are doing here!
R

#35 darkseas

darkseas

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

Sorry, link itself seemed to be double post. Also I'd like to install People/Contacts to it. None of the Google PIM software (mail/calendar/contacts/IM/talk) I got working so far. Tried downloading and installing several apk's. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

#36 momcat1

momcat1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:03 PM

For those interested,
My reseller announced two or three days ago that Google Play was now supported on their Nextbook Premium 8SE. They provided me with the following update, which should be they latest original (incl. Netflix update), with Google Play store added. I'm not familiar enough with the builds to validate this, but to me it seems to be just that. It's not quite clear to me what's the official status of this update.

I would wonder where your reseller got their information, since, Google Play still does not show any Nextbook devices on the supported list. Their latest update to the list is dated 5/29/12.

#37 bobby g

bobby g

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

is there any other recoveries for this thing? i have been looking everywhere.

#38 darkseas

darkseas

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

They claimed it was put on the supported list just before they sent the e-mail, so only per last week.
(Would that mean supported for Google Play only or supported for all Google apps?)

#39 Reverdex

Reverdex

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

This is the actual message:

Goed nieuws! Wij kregen net te horen dat Nextbook is opgenomen in de lijst van Google Play. Op het moment dat wij de aanbieding op C2B deden was dit al het geval, maar door een update was het tijdelijk niet meer mogelijk om Google Play te installeren. Nu wel weer gelukkig!

Good news! We were just told that Next Book is included in the list of Google Play. At the moment we offered it on C2B this was the case, but an update was temporarily unable to allow Google Play installation. Now happy again!

#40 Reverdex

Reverdex

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

I just took the risk and the flashed the SE version.
Everything works but wifi won't even turn on.
Is there some kind of fix for this that I've missed?

the next8p and the next8p-se both need a different wifi driver,
so try to identify which wifi chip your device has.

btw is it a rebranded Efun M900?

Edited by Reverdex, 11 June 2012 - 05:32 AM.