Best Firmware for Gemei G9

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Mr. Southampton

Mr. Southampton

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

i installed the EKEN firmware on my G9 and all was fine until I did a data reset, now the bloody thing won't start up it just freezes as soon as the desktop appears. Any ideas?

Did you do the following?

You should Google Mr. Tasselhof Script to find the latest version. Unzip and place in Desktop folder
You should also Google Sausage Script, download the 04.091.0 version, unzip and place in Desktop folder. I used the SusaageModBBV.04.091.0 executable when I ran it (only use option 5).

Procedure I followed:

Backup any and all files that you want to retain. By using LiveSuite and the format option you will lose all aps and data.

When using LiveSuite, unzip the software into your computer, run the LiveSuite .exe file, point LiveSuite to the EKEN A90 image file and use "format option."

Make sure that your tablet is powered off completely.

Plug USB cable into your computer.

Hold the Volume+ button (middle button on top of tablet).

Plug the micro USB cable into the tablet's USB port closest to the Power Button (I was NOT able to use the USB Port labeled HOST that is closest to the headphone jack).

Press the power button on the tablet 6 to 10 times in rapid succession.

You should see that LiveSuite is communicating with the G9. Let finish, DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS.

Boot the Tablet. You should see a different booting sequence than before. You may want to check Settings under About to see if the firmware has changed.

Run Tasselhof's Script per his instructions. Reboot using option 10

Run the Sausage Script using ONLY option 5. Exit the script using option Q. Reboot the tablet.

Download from Google Play - "Antutu CPU Master" and set the CPU speed to 960 MHz/60 MHz on performance and set "on boot" option checked.

You may want to change the size of the icons. Refer to Supy73's reply in this section

The only issue that I had with the above was a missing .dll file when my computer was trying to load the USB drivers. The .dll file was easy to find when I Google'd it.

Most of the above was taken from Mr Tasselhof's replies in the Newbie Section and Supy73's reply in this section.

Good Luck... It is worth the effort, my G9 has never run as good as it now does with the EKEN A90 firmware.

Mr. Southampton

#42 toomdrix

toomdrix

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:09 AM

thanks a lot for your response pal, i've managed to get it up and running now :) but unfortunately, it is still crashing with this firmware during simple internet browsing :(

#43 Mr. Southampton

Mr. Southampton

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

thanks a lot for your response pal, i've managed to get it up and running now :) but unfortunately, it is still crashing with this firmware during simple internet browsing :(

Once I boot up the G9 I usually have to wait a few minutes (3 to 5 minutes) before I start up my browser. Usually there is much updating of my apps during this initial startup and the CPU speed is set. Not sure if this causes the firmware to crash. I use Firefox as my major browser and once I am up and running, I never see any further crashes. I know it is a pain to wait up to 5 minutes before using the G9, but it is worth the wait... Hope this helps.

Mr. Southampton

#44 apollo_el

apollo_el

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I have been looking for the right compatibility zip to use with the AOKP ROM (black G9). I recently tried this ROM, and it blew my mind (of course its still τοο early, however the difference in speed and responsiveness is quite evident, compared to other fresh-installs I had done in the past). Unfortunately, some of the buttons do not work correctly (so far I noticed probs with the home button and the volume one, perhaps other hardware probs). . My bad. Flashed the wrong compatibility zip. Still testing. So far, so good. Previous ROM, I've had for a few months: CM10:----->Got real sluggish! We will see how it goes with AOKP, and I shall report here.

Edited by apollo_el, 03 February 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#45 Supy73

Supy73

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have been looking for the right compatibility zip to use with the AOKP ROM (black G9). I recently tried this ROM, and it blew my mind (of course its still τοο early, however the difference in speed and responsiveness is quite evident, compared to other fresh-installs I had done in the past). Unfortunately, some of the buttons do not work correctly (so far I noticed probs with the home button and the volume one, perhaps other hardware probs). . My bad. Flashed the wrong compatibility zip. Still testing. So far, so good. Previous ROM, I've had for a few months: CM10:----->Got real sluggish! We will see how it goes with AOKP, and I shall report here.

Hello,

Following up apollo_el suggestion, I too have tried the AOKP ROM.

NOTE: PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

Please NOTE that you need Clockworkmod installed on your device (ref. Christian Troy post on how to do it easily CWM Installation)

I followed this installation instructions, with few additonal steps, from Christian Troy (AOKP for Allwinner tablet):

Instructions:

* Upload zips to MicroSD or internal memory.
* Boot into CWM keeping pressed VOL- (MENU) and POWER for 3 secs, than release POWER and after another sec release VOL- (or use Novo7 tools if it doesn't work for your device)

Additional steps (just to make a clean install):
*** Under Advanced - wipe Dalvik cache
*** Under mount and storage - Format /system, Format /cache, Format /data
*** Under main menu - wipe cache
End of additonal steps

* Select "wipe data/factory reset"
* Select "install zip from sdcard" -> "choose zip from sdcard" (or "choose zip from internal sdcard" if your files are into internal memory) and flash, in this order, rom / gapps / compatibility zip
* Now go back, and select "Reboot system now"
* Enjoy AOKP

The files I used are all provided by Christian Troy and you can find them at the following links:

AOKP ROM (ICS 4.0.4) - AOKP 20120708
gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip - Google Apps for ICS
907c_compatibility_1.2.0 - Gemei G9 compatibility zip

Just in case, I report here below the comment made by Christian and the link to the legacy file (even if I didn't use it):
* Gemei G9 (those not working fine with "regular" 907c comp zip) needs g9_legacy-compatibility_vX.zip comp zip
g9_legacy-compatibility_v1.zip - G9 legacy compatibility zip

My Gemei G9 works pretty good, but only time will tell if this is the one or not.
So far Google Play works fine, I can find all the app I need and a couple of games that weren't working before, now are working.
I installed all other Google apps from the Play store and they all work fine.
I use Boat Browser (that supports Flash) and it seems pretty fast, by the way, you have to install Flash via the apk (see instructions: Flash Installation Instructions)
You can find the Flash apk here: Flash apk archive

Hopefully this will be useful to someone and if you find any better ROm, please let us know.

Many thanks to apollo_el for finding it and very special thanks to Christian Troy for all the developement work.

#46 pizza_sh

pizza_sh

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Please NOTE that you need Clockworkmod installed on your device (ref. Christian Troy post on how to do it easily CWM Installation)

i am not able to do tht ...cudn get the clear cut insteuctions... also myh device is black back...... a lot of startup issues.... vat to do... is it going help vid dis procedure. ???