16 replies to this topic

#1 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hello everybody, two weeks ago i purchased in Pandawill one cheap tablet, the Dropad A8x Basic. VIsually is exactly an A8x, but the tech specs are different. The screen, battery and case ara identical, but the processor is a Rena3, 512 MB RAM, 4GB flash memory without bluetooth, GPS, 3G or HDMI.

The Android version is 2.2 with kernel version 2.6.29 and the compilation number is renesas_emev-eng 2.2 frf91 eng.root.20111202.135313 test-keys.

My problem comes with the firmware, is unstable, the sleep wakeup with WIFI hangs the system and the market is locked to a little apps. I tried to update the Market but even making some tricks i can't see all the apps.

Could be possible to upgrade this tablet with the firmwares for tne standard Rena tablets?? Any idea to unlock the Market?? The tablet includes Z4root, i can modify the system files if needed.

Thanks in advance.

#2 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Can you put up some pictures of the tablet here please?

Edited by dryster, 16 May 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#3 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Yes, i have done some photos comparing with the original A8x from Saayi.

The only external differences are the Dropad name in the front, The Saayi and A8x name in tha back of the tablet and the absence of the mini HDMI conector.

Here we have the tablet photos:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

An this is the OS version:

Posted Image

Looking for in internet i found an upgrade for this tablet in Pandawill forums, but unfortunately is the same version that i have installed. The Market is completely unusable and upgrading to a new version doesn't solve the problem or give an FC. The upgrade files are completely different from the original Rena tablets.

The most important for me is make work the Market. The tablet works well and the wakeup problem isn't very annoying.

Any idea??

Thank you.

#4 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:28 AM

Sorry, repeated.

Edited by hardan, 17 May 2012 - 06:35 AM.

#5 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi, yes, more than likely attempting to use Rena firmware could be explosive, no HDMI and three soft touch buttons instead of four.

Ok, Market, two suggestions for you, first one requires that you root your tablet.

You said you are running 2.2 which is confirmed by that last photo. I would ignore the build info in relation to what your tablet actually is inside and do some investigation using the various benchmarking and system information programs available, more on that in a minute.

So, if rooted, change the following lines in your build.prop (make a backup) and very important, check syntax before rebooting.

ro.build.id=FRG83
ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRG83/60505:user/release-keys
ro.build.description=passion-user 2.2 FRG83 60505 release-keys

(notice I changed 2.2.1 from the original link to 2.2 for your version)

That was from a user here called fatesausage, here is full link :

http://www.slatedroi...-market-access/

Now, as fatesausage says and I repeat, "Danger Will Robinson!" as editing the build prop right at the start of a tablets career when you do not have a reliable backup of any sort can result in a boot loop. I would think unlikely if you only change those three lines, but sometimes users accidently insert a carriage return or type a comma when it should be a period, as we have indicated, hilarity normally ensues.

The second option for you is to initially install the CNET market, which has 200,000 apps available and most of the ones we usually want. Just navigate to their website download.cnet.com and you'll find it there.

If you are brave, then open the tablet carefully and see what hardware is in there, I've found benchmarks and system info can be misleading at times, some of the information is a mirror of what is in the firmware and not the hardware and as we are all aware, the massive fragmentation of our Android world, especially with spoofing, tweaks and tricks to enable market access, results in false info.

Keep us posted. Thanks for the pictures.

Edited by dryster, 17 May 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#6 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Thank you for the help, the Market isn't complete but at least have very much more apps than before. I did the changes correctly and worked since the first time. The CNET market will be a great help to find some apps when the Google market won't show it.

I dismantled the tablet and made some more photos. Some of them aren't great but shows all the internal components.

This is the opened tablet, the main PCB in front and back:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

One photo for the processor, the RAM chips and the NAND chip.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

The WIFI module isn't embedded in the mainboard, is a separate USB module. And the battery is a 4100mAh unit.

Posted Image Posted Image

The test like Antutu or Quadrant reports 10 to 15% less performance than an standard RENA3 tablet. Maybe the low optimized firmware, but i can't complain for a 70$ capacitive tablet with a Rena3 processor.

One more time, thank you.

Edit: I can't make work youtube, the app wasn't installed in the tablet, i innstalled two different versions but FC is the only answer. The most strange thing is that the internet browser can't open the Youtube page. Maybe one chinese limitation???

Edited by hardan, 18 May 2012 - 05:24 PM.

#7 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

Well, trying different configs and looking for in internet i haven't found any way to use Youtube, only i loaded the page with Opera Mini, but this browser doesn't support flash or HTML5 and is unable to play it.

I think it's a regional config in hosts or similar file, but i haven't enough knowledge to find it.

Any help???

Thank you.

#8 lanosalf

lanosalf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

hosts file is located in
/system/etc/hosts

Pd: see here for example, how it is used to block ADS.
http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=664532

Edited by lanosalf, 21 May 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#9 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

A 4100 mAh battery too, if you can get stable firmware you should have good battery life.

#10 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

One thousand thanks for the help, the problem was the hosts file, had hundreds of sites blocked, almost all was from google.

I imagine this tablet was initially created only for China where the Google apps are restricted. Fortunately i found the way to eliminate this restrictions and now the tablet have full access to Youtube and another Google sites.

Now i try to improve the general performance, this model have a bad optimized firm and i'd like to make it better. Do you have any idea??

One more time, thank you.

#11 ffxx68

ffxx68

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

Not much, but here's what I could get from my contact at Renesas about this pad:

"this device is designed by a Shenzhen comapnay, which called “Hongkong Pengxin Tech”. It’s a long time from last information about their product, I don’t know their current status. I guess renease pad is no longer developed by them. And unfortunately, we don’t have the schematics. Its very difficult to support this product."
ffxx68
----
Renesas Dual-A9 w/3G Android 2.3 *20111220 build*
WM8505 netbook Android 1.6 *UnGoogle*
----
I'm now using Wuala storage - if you join we both get extra space !
http://www.wuala.com...7C6MMMHGNMPGP7K

#12 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:57 AM

Ok, i understand. I knew was impossible to make a new or custom firmware, this is the reason i try to find some tweaks to improve as possible the performance.

If you know some tweaks, system file modifications or similar let me know.

Thank you.

#13 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:36 AM

Well, after looking some forums and blogs about tweaking Android i made some changes to make it work better. The problem is still the lag in Youtube and the slightly choppy sound in some games, but is better than initially.

If someboy can help i would appreciate.

Thank you.

#14 pspman1313

pspman1313

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Well, after looking some forums and blogs about tweaking Android i made some changes to make it work better. The problem is still the lag in Youtube and the slightly choppy sound in some games, but is better than initially.

If someboy can help i would appreciate.

Thank you.

Could you point me the direction about tweaking the tablet I cant seem to get youtube to work or Google play

#15 hardan

hardan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMadrid - Spain

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

For the Market i followed the instructions given by Dryster some posts before. The only thing i did to eliminate the Google restrictions (Youtube included) were sometehing simple: erase all the lines which point to any google service or web page in the hosts file. In the A8x Basic there is a lot of lines which cut or stop the Google services.

#16 pspman1313

pspman1313

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

For the Market i followed the instructions given by Dryster some posts before. The only thing i did to eliminate the Google restrictions (Youtube included) were sometehing simple: erase all the lines which point to any google service or web page in the hosts file. In the A8x Basic there is a lot of lines which cut or stop the Google services.

alright thanks if I find anything useful for this device I'll post it here

#17 comtec

comtec

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hi everybody, i need some help, i have a ax8 basic tablet and i can not do a factory reset. i've tried from the privacy menu and turning the tablet with the volume button down and nothing, any ideas? i need to delete google account that I set up and will not let me

thanks