IPS vs Dual Core vs Patience

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DanielMMS

DanielMMS

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'm looking for a 7" tablet and am taken with the spec of the Aurora II - it seems to have pretty much everything, particularly an IPS screen and dual core CPU. The problem is, it is not out, may not be out for a while yet (possibly this month, maybe next month) and patience is not a strong virtue of mine! There are a couple of 7" tablets with dual core CPUs. Then there are a couple of 7" tablets with IPS screens. But nothing - as far as I can see - that has both unless you want to spend large amounts going mainstream. So, the question I have is as to the effect if you compromise on either screen or CPU. Does an IPS screen make that much difference? Will a dual core CPU make that much difference? Or should I put my patience to the test for the Aurora II?

Any thoughts appreciated!

#2 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'll have to throw in my two cents, if you don't have a tablet now, will you be unhappy (or perhaps you already have a tablet?) - the thing is, everything is a compromise, I think I would prefer a better screen than more horsepower (if the firmware, Apps and OS can handle dual processing) but of course you want your cake and eat it (as they say) with both, but then, as we all know, we don't want to spend large amounts so something has to suffer.

I would think the following for my wish list:

1024x600 IPS or higher
Dual core A9 running at a real 1ghz
1024mb RAM
8gb or higher
8 hours battery life

Oh, and it would have to be $120...

...shipped

So it looks I will have to be more patient than you will.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#3 DanielMMS

DanielMMS

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

I have a 9.7" tablet at the moment but am looking for something a bit more transportable/pocket friendly basically to replace a Kindle. To that end, 7" works well. Timing is a slight issue in that I would want it to be delivered prior to 22-Jun, which gives a little under 6 weeks. If the Aurora II is pushed back to June then I doubt it would arrive in time but there is so little news coming out of Ainol that I am not sure whether to simply compromise now rather than to risk the wait. I think I agree with you in that the screen is probably more important but I suppose it all rests on what a dual core A9 can do over and above a single core A8!

#4 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

If you assume 3 weeks delivery then you still have a couple of weeks to ponder the options. There is a forum post today that reports that Ainol have two new models, Tornado and Mars. The battery life of 3-5 hours seems attrocious (because if they are reporting that it's probably going to be 2-4 hours). I'm mentioning those because I'm wondering what battery life the Aurora II is going to be offering especially with the higher mhz. It's all very well having the IPS and the A9 dual core but if envelopes are being pushed for performance then battery life could be dismal (which if you're looking for a Kindle substitute is going to be important).

I think you have to not feel as though you are backed into a corner with your six weeks timeline. You may want to pick up a 7" lower end tablet to use for six months and follow the progress of the new offerings while relaxing in a lounge suit with your new portable option. After the time sell it back into the wild for $30 less than you paid.

This tactic will allow you to enjoy a stable, older product while they work out the wrinkles of the new product.
  • sos4ever likes this
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#5 RMXO

RMXO

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

IPS is well worth the extra bucks compared to a non-IPS device & your patience will pay off. If the Aurora II is anything like its older brother (Aurora), you have an awesome device in your hands. As an owner of the Aurora with LG IPS, dual core makes it worth the wait.

#6 Sideways danny

Sideways danny

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

I've had an ELF which I broke the screen on, had a similar dilema of either having the screen repaired, or waiting for the Aurora II. I've waited so far, on the advice of the UK based seller, who's quite fussy about what hardware he sells (Futeko). I really miss my ELF though :(

#7 cyclonmaster

cyclonmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

I believe single core still can run most of the applications well. The most important part is RAM. Current 1GB DDR3 RAM is more than enough.
I have Android Phone LG Optimus 3D. It did have dual core 1.4 GHz(Overclock from 1GHz stock) + 512MB RAM. Even though it have dual core processor, when I run multiple application, it will slow down. I have to kill certain application process for it to run smooth again. At that moment, I wish it did have 1GB RAM than 512MB RAM.

I'm ordering my items here at this moment: http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

Most cheaper price available so far. Let me know if there is other place cheaper than this.
Visit My Blog: http://cyclonmaster.blogspot.com/
Please answer my Project Survey: https://apps.faceboo...urveys/4dq0i6wv

#8 GreenI

GreenI

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

I originally tried to order an Aurora back in February (from SpeMall) as at the time they looked like they were the only people with some left.

After taking my order and my money, they contacted me to say that they were sold out but new delivery imminent. So I waited. I then followed up and was told that the delivery had a number of dead pixel problems and they were not going to sell them. Did I want an Elf plus case etc or wait? Well I wanted the IPS screen so I waited. Then just as they got the third delivery (LG screens) - news leaked out about the Aurora II - and they started taking pre orders.

Now I wasn't sure - so I changed my order to the Aurora II...... and waited some more.

Release date for the Aurora II never seemed to firm up. I eventually got tired waiting, so swapped my order back to the Aurora. It was then shipped pretty much immediately - took bbout a week to get to France. During all this time I found the customer service response to emails very fast - always less than 24 hours.

Have been pretty impressed with the device so far.

Now looking forward to loading CWM, before trying some of the ROMs now appearing

#9 Major Tom

Major Tom

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

I have the Aurora I (GT801 Hitachi touchscreen) and can say the IPS screen is nice (despite the 1 stuck white pixel). Apparently, this is a good choice for watching videos and playing games thanks to its fast response.

Having caught the bug, I now want to buy the Elf II with the "regular" TFT screen and dual core CPU. This is supposed to be a good choice for app multitasking which I find I tend to do more than playing videos.

Hopefully, I will have first-hand (subjective) comparison soon.
Major Tom
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora v1

#10 F&LSuperstore

F&LSuperstore

Advanced Member

• Authorized Business Seller (ABS)
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

I have the Aurora I (GT801 Hitachi touchscreen) and can say the IPS screen is nice (despite the 1 stuck white pixel). Apparently, this is a good choice for watching videos and playing games thanks to its fast response.

Having caught the bug, I now want to buy the Elf II with the "regular" TFT screen and dual core CPU. This is supposed to be a good choice for app multitasking which I find I tend to do more than playing videos.

Hopefully, I will have first-hand (subjective) comparison soon.

The Elf is better than my Galaxy S II. It really purrs. So the Aurora will just be the IPS flashy version of the Elf.

Edit: And a much more expensive one too. You could buy a Nook or Kindle and flash it with ICS and pay the same amount of money that you will for an Aurora.

Edited by F&LSuperstore, 18 June 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image
Frank, President
F&L Superstore - www.flsuperstore.com
email: frank@flsuperstore.com
blog: flsuperstore.wordpress.com
MSN: flsuperstore@gmail.com