Android Tablets Forum banner

Do all V3 Aurora have Touch Screen Ghost Touches?

22K views 56 replies 29 participants last post by  GianL 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm trying to figure out if I have a hardware problem and I want to see if there are people out there with new hardware that are NOT having this problem. If some people are not having this problem, and they are running the same firmware as those of us with the problem, then we should get replacement units.

Please post here and answer the following questions:
What hardware version do you have? V1, V2, or V3 (V3 has LG display)?
How long have you had the tablet?
Do you get false / ghost touches?
If you are NOT having these problems, did you load any special patches or ROM to get it to work correctly?
Are you using Chrome Beta?
Are you overclocking?

#2 ·
What hardware version do you have? V3
How long have you had the tablet? One week.
Do you get false / ghost touches? No ( only delay in response - not often)
If you are NOT having these problems, did you load any special patches or ROM to get it to work correctly? Have orginal rom that came with tablet ( planning to flash but waiting to see the results of this survey !)

Good luck

#4 ·
Hi. I have had my v3 tablet for about a week.I am still using the factory ROM.I was getting false touches so I did a factory reset and that seemed to solve the problem(so far).I also removed the screen protector and stopped storing it in a neoprene pouch incase it was causing static.

#5 ·
i have gt801 and touchscreen is fine on 4.0.3 stock rom (so hardware must be ok?) but completely unusable with custom roms due to constant phantom touches. Have tried ECR1.1a and Feiyu 0429 and 0515. Has anyone managed to solve the phantom touches issue?! Thanks

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
How long have you had the tablet? One day

Do you get false / ghost touches? No problems at all
If you are NOT having these problems, did you load any special patches or ROM to get it to work correctly? No, but I am running Feiyu mod 0515.

EDIT: I've also got a screen protector installed, but no real issues so far. Sometimes it's hard to press buttons that are located in the corners of the screen, but it's only in Firefox so it might be Firefox's fault.

#8 ·
How long have you had the tablet? 3 Days
Do you get false / ghost touches? No (only delay in response in the left hand side of the screen)
If you are NOT having these problems, did you load any special patches or ROM to get it to work correctly? Already mess up and flash back to the stock with build number 20120418.175057.V03.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
How long have you had the tablet? 4 days
Do you get false / ghost touches? Yes but it only started today.
Build Number: 20120418.175056.V03 (pre-installed by GadgetFreakz.co.uk)

I bought it from GFZ and it came pre-installed with 20120418.175056.V03 - No problems for 4 days (that I noticed anyway, to be honest I didn't use it much, I was waiting for a 32gb MicroSD card to arrive), installed my 32gb MicroSD card today and copied a load of comics to it, installed ComicRack and spent 20 minutes toying around within the program when I found it was registering phantom touches.

Installed "Touch Test" from the Play Store and just left the tablet alone for a few minutes and found random presses when I came back to it. Very frustrating.

Judging by where the touches are and taking into consideration that ComicRack was probably hammering the CPU generating thumbnails (and the device was starting to get warm) i'm assuming that it's more a hardware heat related issue than software (although that doesn't make much sense with a capacitive screen)

A bit disappointed truth be told - i had high hopes for this and it worries me that other people are experiencing the same issue, will just have to see see how it fares over the coming days and I guess I'll have to go back to GFZ if it continues.

#10 ·
I have two Aurora.

First Aurora:

What hardware version do you have? V2
How long have you had the tablet? from 13 april
Do you get false / ghost touches? No, luckily

If you are NOT having these problems, did you load any special patches or ROM to get it to work correctly? I have the original rom from Ainol, I think with the official patch FX...I don't remember

Second Aurora:

What hardware version do you have? V3 LG screen
How long have you had the tablet? from 23 april
Do you get false / ghost touches? No, luckily

If you are NOT having these problems, did you load any special patches or ROM to get it to work correctly? I have the original rom v.3 from Ainol

#11 ·
My Aurora is now working perfectly again. I have some theories as to why it was broken and why it's working now, but I'm still not certain of any of it. Here is my long story, maybe it will help you....

I received my V3 Aurora, and I used it for roughly 4 days without problems.
Toward the end of those 4 days, I used SetCPU to overclock and underclock the tablet based on profiles.
I found that if you overclock just a little too far, WiFi will sometimes die on you.
I didn't realize my Aurora had come with a screen protector, but it did and it was installed for about two weeks. It's fairly difficult to remove and I thought I might be damaging the unit when I removed it.
After the, roughly, 4 days of working properly, the unit started having random touches. I tried several different ROM's including custom and stock ones and I formatted everything I could every time. Sometimes I thought it was fixed, but in a little while, the problem always came back. I setup the unit to show touches and not sleep while on AC power and used a free app off of the market called "Multi-touch Benchmark Test" which would tell me if any touches had occured. Some of the touches may not have been that noticeable because they didn't land on icons, buttons, etc, but that app will catch them all.
After a couple weeks, I realized that I could actually remove the screen protector despite how well it was adhered to the screen. However, it did not help. I power cycled, tried different ROMs again, etc... I even tried lightly twisting, and bending the unit as well as pushing slightly hard on different points of the display. Nothing worked. It didn't seem to make it any better or worse.
I finally decided it was probably a hardware problem and was going to exchange it for a new one so I left the unit OFF and unplugged for two days.
Before boxing it back up to send it back to it's homeland of China, I turned it on just for fun. It's been running 1.5 days now without any problems. I have power cycled it about 5 times, I've run the same touch test, I've run ShadowGun, Even tried two different ROMs and it will not fail again (so far).

Here are my theories (I have a lot of theories, sometimes they are right, usually not, but thats how we figure things out, please feel free to contribute if you have other theories):
Not Screen Protector: It could have something to do with the screen protector, but I don't think so. I'm an Electrical Engineer and it seems highly unlikely that static could build up but not be discharged to the users hand. Also, the fact that I removed the screen protector and it didn't change anything leads me to believe it was not related.
Overclocking or Underclocking: It could be a timing issue caused by changing the clock rate that puts the touch IC in a bad state. You would think that turning the unit off would reset it, but maybe there is enough capacitance to keep these low-power devices in a bad state through power cycling. Maybe leaving it off for a few days allowed the voltage to drain off. I know it sounds crazy, but I've actually seen something similar to this in a low-power design I was working on.
Intermittent: It could be an intermittent hardware problem that comes and goes. Maybe it will stop working again. I hope not, but I'm going to leave it with a pretty simple setup for several days to see if it stays well behaved.

If you want to try any of this, I suggest you wipe user data, format the system partition, install a fresh ROM, power the system off. Do not connect it to power and let it sit for a few days.

Good Luck

#12 ·
Interesting. Phantom touches happen on my Aurora v2, from time to time. I thought it would be the screen protector that causes it, removed, still same. Flash feiyu rom, still same. But i notice that every time phantom touches started, it will disappear itself after roughly 2 days. Some people said that the issue might be due to overcharging the tablet and electrostatic.

#17 ·
I read in another post, someone was claiming they purchased a new display for $40 USD and it fixed the problem. It will probably cost me $30 to ship it back to the web retailer, but they are being very good and claiming I can get a full refund or exchange it for a new one. If I exchange, they said I don't have to send accessories, they will just send a new unit. They also say that if the new one has the same problem, I can still return it. I'll let you know how it goes. Please let me know how it goes if you replace your screen. Can you make an disassembly video?

#16 ·
Hi got my new tab today all was running well then got a life of its own switching between screens key board coming up, google speak and trying making it impossible to use the tab tried a number of factory resets but still has the problem may be a software problem and needs thr rom flushing but dont have the rom any ideas as I am at a loss, running android 4.03 base band1.0 kennel 3.08 build 20120418.175057.v03
Nick

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have gone 5 days now without ghost touch problems. I'm using ConROM and I am NOT installing Chrome Beta. I installed it once (before this 5 day period started) and immediately started getting Ghost touch problems. I had to flash a fresh ROM to make it go away. Maybe I've just been lucky the past 5 days but it's starting to look pretty good....

#29 ·
is this ghost touch problem specific to aurora or is it also on other ainol tablets like elf or advanced?

i had it too on my aurora lg v3.418 but it's gone now and rarely happen, seems to me like a hardware problem / design problem. It is similar to old CRT monitors that had a circuit inside and you can degause/discharge the screen to remove electromagnetic energy. This circuit is missing in the tablet, that is why this problem is random and it is not related to software i think.

android 4.0 could have a - discharge screen - option in the settings but this is possible only with hardware support that is missing i think.

#31 ·
my ghost touches are a bit better with this rom but its still fairly unusable. at least i can get into options and activate show touches. I couldnt even do that in the other roms (unless i used a mouse) they were so bad.

i can't understand why it is ok in the 4.0.3 stock rom but not in custom roms, bizarre. i find the stock rom so slow though!

beginning to want to give up on the stupid thing. i can't return it though cos the screen works with stock rom.

isnt there a screen sensitivity somewhere in the rom, in the build file or something?!

thanks

#32 ·
i have stock firmware 20120418 v3 LG and gosh touches have returned, it is just crazy, i dont think it has anything to do with the rom version.

what i observed is that these ghost touches are random. The duration of an individual ghost touch is short maybe 0.1sec , so i think that in software if we make the duration to be 0.5sec then the ghost touches will not be recorded since the threshold will be above 0.5 sec. Every short touch below 0.5 sec will not be taken into consideration by the device.

i dont know what to do, i am thinking of returning the device back to spemall.

#35 ·
Hmm.....screen sensitivity. Does that mean Ainol was actually been using v1 firmware as a base for v2 and v3 screen? (because non of the v1 users have ghost touches issue at all).

In which they might not actually optimising the touchscreen for v2 and v3 new hardware. But it's still hard to say, cause not all of the v2 and v3 having problem.....

kind of fed up with the ghost touches every time it appear

Mine slowly disappear in day 5, gone in day 6. Almost a week, gosh!

#36 ·
Hi there,

problems started today, so I am happy that I found some people with the same issues.

What hardware version do you have? V3.
How long have you had the tablet? 5 days.
Do you get false / ghost touches? Yes.
Are you using Chrome Beta? No.
Are you overclocking? No.

Ghost touches started spontaneously and I noticed that they are only occurring on the lower part of the screen. Additionally they seem to be more or less on one line, so it seems that the y axis for the ghost touches stays the same while the x axis seems to be pretty random. For now it is completely unusable.

I'll wait until next week, before I'm going to send it back.

- Phi2f

#37 ·
What hardware version do you have? V1, V2, or V3 (V3 has LG display)? V£
How long have you had the tablet? Two weeks
Do you get false / ghost touches? No
If you are NOT having these problems, did you load any special patches or ROM to get it to work correctly? No as was bought, no Roms used, just deleted some of the original Ainol Apps from the Rom
Are you using Chrome Beta? No, I have Google.Play but have not change the machine type so this application is marked as not compatible
Are you overclocking? Yes, with setCPU 1152 on demand

#38 ·
mine is v1 and i was having horrendous ghost touches with custom roms, it made them unusable. have upgraded the stock official firmware from 0.4 to 0.9 and it seems to have fixed it. it comes back if i try custom rom again (flash over top or clean install) but official v0.9 seems to work fine.

#39 ·
How long have you had the tablet? 5 days
]Do you get false / ghost touches? Yes.
Are you overclocking? No.

I only experience the ghost touches when the device is charging, and it becomes even worse when the USB is plugged into the PC. If I remove the USB cable and the charger, ghost touches disappear instantly. Probably a static issue? any suggestions gang?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.