Android Tablets Forum banner

Succesful battery mod !

27K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  xckx92 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My eken m001 now has a 3600 mAh battery and it still has it's orginal housing !I placed a second 7.4V 1800 mAh battery in parallel with the internal battery inside the eken m001 and it works ! The batteries i used are identical to eachother and i first fully charged them both seperately.I am now testing the battery performance, the only downside is that it is a very very tight fit (actually it bends the case somewhat
). The battery is placed under the motherboard.Here are some pics:

See less See more
#6 ·
Interesting but I repeat putting in // is dangerous as one set of battery can discharge in the other if these are not well balanced.I personally took the step to buy 2 3500mah of 3.7 and set in serial but I had to set a small box on the back of the Eken like Carnivore.I get 6 hours battery life

#7 ·
both of the batteries have a balancing board, so my guess is that this will protect the batteries from overcharge/discharge.I have seen multiple website about battery mods for laptops and they have even put 3 battery packs together in parallel.If my eken starts to fizzle i will let you know :)But by the looks of it, it is working fine.I don't feel extra heat or hear strange sounds coming from the batteries.I think the most important thing is to first fully charge them separately before you put them together.

#8 ·
They should be balance charged. In other words, each cell should be charged individually and monitored individually while charging. You can buy balance chargers at RC forum advertisers. I wouldn't leave the room when the are charging.Two other concerns -- if under the PC board and under pressure already, the solder leads could puncture the cells -- they can swell if overcharged. Perhaps you put a hard spacer under the PC board -- that would be better. Also, lipos can heat up quite a bit. Sandwiching them in tightly will trap that heat, plus there are more batteries to heat up. And there's less air space for the cells and the PC board ICs for cooling.Not saying it won't give long service, but all of these things increase risk.

#9 ·
There are no solder leads under the motherboard, i checked that.I charged the batteries with an open case and the batteries did not heat up extremely, but your right about the cooling. If i could just find another spot for the extra battery, but there is just no room elsewhere in the Eken :)Besides, all mods are increased risks, that's why modders do it. You could fry your machine or you can make it better

#10 ·
[quote name='blastexx;29392]If my eken starts to fizzle i will let you know :)But by the looks of it' date=' it is working fine.I don't feel extra heat or hear strange sounds coming from the batteries.I think the most important thing is to first fully charge them separately before you put them together.[/QUOTE']This guy let people know, which I think is a good thing. But better to be aware of the risks. Definitely be present in the room when you are charging your rig:Lipo fire took my house and everything I own - RC Groups

#11 ·
I think it is pretty safe.The battery pack consists of 2x 3.7v cells in series connected to a balancing board.The charge voltage is 9v, this goes to both batteries.So the batteries cannot overcharge because they both have their own balancing boards present.If one battery fails (due to overcharging) it will switch off and the other one will take over.The guy in the article charged the lipo battery WITHOUT a balancing board, this is indeed not wise!

#12 ·
There are many more fire posts on RC forums which didn't involve the same cause I listed a few in another thread and don't want to belabor the point again, so those interested can look it up. @blastexx, I agree with you about the balance boards if they also have under voltage cutoff and other smart safety cutoff circuitry -- they probably do if they are typical of the latest boards.My own worry would be the tight fit and possible cell swelling. But yours may be fine. As you said, keep us posted on any problems.

#13 ·
Battery pack cells are balanced when all the cells in the battery pack meet two conditions:If all cells have the same capacity, then they are balanced when they have the same relative state of charge (SOC.) In this case, the open circuit voltage (OCV) is a good measure of the SOC. If, in an out-of-balance pack, all cells can be differentially charged to full capacity (balanced), then they will subsequently cycle normally without any additional adjustments. If the cells have different capacities, they are also considered balanced when the SOC is the same. But, since SOC is a relative measure, the absolute amount of capacity for each cell is different. To keep the cells with different capacities at the same SOC, cell balancing must provide differential amounts of current to cells in the series string during both charge and discharge on every cycle.

#16 ·
I am ready to try this WE but I have installed 2 3.7v 3500mah in serial and just uninstall the stock battery.I am a little preocupied about the capacity diference 3500 and 1800 in parallel.I know if these are fully charge prior conecting everything should run smooth but what abpout the 1800mah discahrging completely before the 3500 ?I think I should try or maybe I just buy a 10,000 mah 7.4 volts.I let you know on monday if I took the jump.

#17 ·
[quote name='blastexx;29781]Battery pack cells are balanced when all the cells in the battery pack meet two [URL=conditions:If]conditions:If[/URL] all cells have the same capacity' date=' then they are balanced when they have the same relative state of charge (SOC.) In this case, the open circuit voltage (OCV) is a good measure of the SOC. If, in an out-of-balance pack, all cells can be differentially charged to full capacity (balanced), then they will subsequently cycle normally without any additional adjustments. If the cells have different capacities, they are also considered balanced when the SOC is the same. But, since SOC is a relative measure, the absolute amount of capacity for each cell is different. To keep the cells with different capacities at the same SOC, cell balancing must provide differential amounts of current to cells in the series string during both charge and discharge on every cycle.[/QUOTE'] source: Wikipedia.Also of interest re. Lipo protection, both circuitry and physical: over discharge, cell swelling, cell puncture, overheating. Also re the Eken's charger: output capacity relative to charge rate and power-on board draw.

#18 ·
[quote name='vtpad;30363]source: Wikipedia.Also of interest re. Lipo protection' date=' both circuitry and physical: over discharge, cell swelling, cell puncture, overheating. Also re the Eken's charger: output capacity relative to charge rate and power-on board draw.[/QUOTE']Looks complex!

#26 ·
Thought I would chime in and I am impressed with your mod. I was deep into the RC electric hobby and the nitro. I dud experience the Lipo batteries with Novak brushless systems. As long as you monitor the charging, u should have a long lasting eken m001. An additional mod to the eken M001 should be a battery indicator that either beeps or LED that changes color when charged (done). At least a modified charger or change out the charger altogether?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.